[Game] Kings vs Suns 7:30PM PDT/10:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bottom line is the Kings need to be smarter at the end of games. We rely too much on Fox being "clutch" at the end. Without another threat like Monk out there it is too easy to focus on Fox. They need to run plays to get others open. Yes the officiating could be better but the Kings should take a time out to remind everyone to play smart.
Agree. And it's shocking. I mean "Hero Ball" is so 2008. By now, teams should understand even in the clutch, run an offense, pass the ball, etc. When Kings are down, or other team goes on run, Fox tends to press things. He's gotta play smarter and still run offense same way.

Also about Domas, I don't want to sound like Kyle or Kayte but perhaps he was really tired since...
It was a back2back match, he had to face JV and Nurk in those nights, physical players, he was subbed in to the match for the last time 8 or 9 minutes before the end, Mark Jones I think (or Kayte) emphasized on coming back so early and he also hurt a part of his leg falling down hard on the ground some minutes before the end. It happened earlier in the season that he had a terrific first half (also at Phoenix in "that traumatic match") and then he stopped getting points in the second.
Fox also had rolled his ankle the day before, had to deal with Herb Jones and play back to back 40+ minutes also applying much pressure on defense getting many steals etc in both those matches.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
As I wrote earlier in the game thread, Domantas did not just "fall down hard on the ground," he was pushed backwards in the chest by Devin Booker. Now that I think about it, had a foul been called, Booker might have fouled out before the end.
If he had also been correctly called for the offensive foul on the 3 point attempt that was reviewed for a reckless closeout he'd have probably fouled out by the mid-point of the 4th. Instead he got 3 point at the line.

If he had also been correctly called for the offensive foul on the 3 point attempt that was reviewed for a reckless closeout he'd have probably fouled out by the mid-point of the 4th. Instead he got 3 point at the line.
TBH, if Booker was sitting at 5 fouls in the 4th quarter, the refs would had swallowed their whistle for the rest of the game for Booker. No way the refs foul him out of this game.

Couldn’t even draw up a play to get a shot up. We just give games away.
I mean, that was a just a great gamble by Beal. He got the ball, it is what it is.
Regardless of what the defense did, the sad part is that no actual play with options was given to the players. It was give the ball to Fox and stay out of the way. Just not going to get it done at any decent %, when an experienced team knows what is coming

This would be the smart thing to do, but it's not going to happen.

We will hammer Portland on Sunday and then lose to the Warriors in the play in and draft #14. GSW will wind up picking #13 and draft an All-Star one pick before our pick. SMDH :(
The warriors aren’t exactly known for being geniuses at drafting. Their franchise has missed more than anyone over the last 30 years

Call me a debbie downer or whatever but losing to Dallas twice, Pels, and Suns AT HOME that were all important games is telling. This team is mentally weak and crumbles in the 2nd half. I dont think they will get out of the play-in, which is ok by me, maybe Monte can do something with the draft pick or get an athletic 4, someone who can create there own shot other than Fox and Monk.
We have a lot of similar personalities on the team. More on the quiet, introspective side of things. We really do miss someone that has the fire like Shumpert who isn’t afraid to be vocal and get into his teammates

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The warriors aren’t exactly known for being geniuses at drafting. Their franchise has missed more than anyone over the last 30 years
Also not entirely sure if we’re drafting at the same positions of need. But who knows where their heads will be at. Will they be needing to replace Klay and Dray?

I think these losses are clearly on Luka Doncic for torpedoing our season by squashing Monk's knee a few weeks back!
If you're team is so poorly coached that losing one player, even a key player tanks you, that's on the coach.

Adelman's teams would suffer injuries, and have guys coming out of nowhere to step up. Lawrence Funderburke comes to mind.

I'm baffled that it can't possibly be Brown for a significant percentage of you.

I don't know about the past and if the front office has changed but both Podz and Jackson-Davis were "gems" in the last draft. I have no idea if they were good in college etc (I don't follow NCAA) but they have proven to be quite good and contributed a lot throughout the season having decent playing time and much better stats by draft picks that were chosen much higher than them.

Regarding the refs, I highly doubt that for 3 times in a row L2M report will review this as a foul. It would be too much and it will add fuel to the fire for the whole "refs you suck" campaign.
Called it... now it is "incidental" contact, no longer marginal that Fox mentioned in his presser. For sure they wouldn't make it look like refs helped Kings lose a 3rd match in a span of a week.

The NBA Last 2 Minute Report confirms that the non-call on De'Aaron Fox in the closing moments of the game was correct. "Beal's left wrist makes clean contact with the ball and dislodges it away from Fox prior to incidental contact occurring during Fox's upward shooting motion."

"Beal's (PHX) left wrist makes clean contact with the ball and dislodges it away from Fox (SAC) prior to incidental contact occurring during Fox's upward shooting motion." - Correct Non-Call according to the official.

First of all, no way anyone can conclusively say from that replay that Beal made clean contact on the ball first (Plus they couldn't even tell in a live ball situation who should inbound the ball and had to resort to jumpball, I don't believe they could conclusively tell this especially the sideline ref on this side of the court would have his/her vision blocked by Fox's body as seen in pic 1). And if Beal was already "making clean contact" on Fox's left arm prior to what they called "incidental contact" (pic 2), then the contact was no longer "incidental". foul01.JPG
(1)

foul02.JPG
(2)

foul03.JPG
(3)

Last edited:
Normally, how the NBA is accepting and allowing the "worldwide leader in sports" to spew non-gameplay-related drama between players, frankly had already made a huge impact on how I trust the league to be impartial...

And on top of that...

"last two-minute report says the Lakers benefitted from 3 incorrect calls in the final two minutes, 2 of which would have wiped away Lakers points and all 3 would have given the Grizzlies the ball.."

I'm not sure I can really watch the NBA with a straight face anymore.

"Beal's (PHX) left wrist makes clean contact with the ball and dislodges it away from Fox (SAC) prior to incidental contact occurring during Fox's upward shooting motion." - Correct Non-Call according to the official.

First of all, no way anyone can conclusively say otherwise from that replay that Beal made clean contact on the ball first (Plus they couldn't even tell in a live ball situation who should inbound the ball and had to resort to jumpball, I don't believe they could conclusively tell this especially the sideline ref on this side of the court would have his/her vision blocked by Fox's body as seen in pic 1). And if Beal was already "making clean contact" on Fox's left arm prior to what they called "incidental contact" (pic 2), then the contact was no longer "incidental". View attachment 12574
(1)

View attachment 12575
(2)

View attachment 12576
(3)
I am not an expert but the way the ball goes up instead of down, indicates that Beal didn't hit the ball though.

Some people in social media suggested that there should be a "point system" that when L2M admits your team lost a match due to a call/no call they will get awarded something. But still with L2M being rigged itself (not the first time this happens involving the Kings) nothing will change. Probably the Lakers will get more "points" for not attempting free throws in every possession they had the ball in the last 2 minutes.

The basic problem regarding the referees is that if the team's play puts the team in the position of being vulnerable to the ref's calls then it is reasonable to expect being at their mercy.

On the other hand, if the team is up 10 to 20 points (as it should have been at the end of the Suns game) then poor calls by the refs will have no influence in the outcome.

The Kings need to discover a strategy for maintaining leads that make the refs moot. There have been many good recommendations by knowledgeable folks on this forum. However, the Kings coaching staff doesn't seem to read the forum or, if they do, the suggestions are not taken seriously. Losing leads so consistently should be a major staff concern and ripe for modifications in strategies.

A bit on/off topic regarding jumpballs. Kings are screwed the whole time because Domas is left handed and the ball is thrown almost every single time from the side of the opponent. On top of that other times when Domas is not involved the ref throws the ball quite bad, or the opponent jumps before the ball reaches the peak etc etc. In FIBA there is a jumpball only in the tip off, after that there is a "cursor" pointing which team should have possession (in a "jumpball" situation or at the beginning of each quarter), that switches direction every time a "jumpball" situation takes place.

The basic problem regarding the referees is that if the team's play puts the team in the position of being vulnerable to the ref's calls then it is reasonable to expect being at their mercy.

On the other hand, if the team is up 10 to 20 points (as it should have been at the end of the Suns game) then poor calls by the refs will have no influence in the outcome.

The Kings need to discover a strategy for maintaining leads that make the refs moot. There have been many good recommendations by knowledgeable folks on this forum. However, the Kings coaching staff doesn't seem to read the forum or, if they do, the suggestions are not taken seriously. Losing leads so consistently should be a major staff concern and ripe for modifications in strategies.
I think the players are well aware of the ref screwing Kings (from last season with Domas posting stories in instagram after each Kings win that Silver was mad etc) and that affects them mentally so they get frustrated quite easily with some calls even if they are correct calls (yeah ok sometimes it happens, they are not all bad calls). I guess that was the point of the "don't blame the refs" thread. They might not be bothered with social media but Fox, Domas, Huerter have all expressed their frustration through social media regarding "the system" in the past 2 years. But yes you are right that something needs to change for them to maintain big leads and avoid meltdowns.

Yep I don't disagree. I was not doing the deep dive in the L2M report to justify why we lost last night. The last 2-min report is just a mockery of the sports, simply by showing how ill-equipped the league is to make the right calls, how helpless it can be for someone fast af like Fox to get fouled and was seen by any particular ref who happened to be able to follow and plant him/herself in a good spot to see it, and how little to no indication that the league intends to make changes according to it.

And I'm not saying Fox himself is the only case losing by being too fast, I'm accusing EVERY player who is/was at least as fast as Fox throughout the history of the league would've had a higher chance of getting an unfair whistle for their whole career.

In every other aspect of our lives, if something is supposed to "be policed" but the subject committing the act appears too fast to be policed, we usually employ the help of a machine. Meanwhile in the NBA, it's so archaic, that they are still "managing" refs having egos and acting according to it.

It's not about how soon the league will fix certain things, it's about how much all that involved can tolerate with what it is.

If you're team is so poorly coached that losing one player, even a key player tanks you, that's on the coach.

Adelman's teams would suffer injuries, and have guys coming out of nowhere to step up. Lawrence Funderburke comes to mind.

I'm baffled that it can't possibly be Brown for a significant percentage of you.
Some of the blame goes to the GM too for not getting better players capable of stepping up if a key player goes down. I mean Brown has to play Chris Duarte minutes because that’s the player the GM picked up as one of the key off season acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.