[Game] Kings vs. Pelicans - 4/11/2024 - 7:00PM PDT/10:00PM EDT (TNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Keegan is mikal bridges.. their games are very similar.
Regardless trading one for the other won’t drastically make either team better, however we’re the ones who would likely have to sweeten the deal if for no other reason than salary matching which would make us worse.

Not if it includes Keegan obviously. Anything pick wise, or whatever, Monte has to be aggressive. Huerter and Barnes aren't highlighting a trade package by themselves.
Yes, trading Keegan 1 for 1 for another player of his archetype doesn't solve this problems, but they need more than one Keegan and always have. If it takes 4 picks, do it, I don't care.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That's the thing though, I still don't think Monte ran it back due to overconfidence, he did it to hang onto trade pieces. The issue is Brown started phasing out both Huerter and Barnes and teams started wondering why they weren't the same as last year. This is why re-signing Monk to a big contract just to use him as a trade piece isn't wise. Not until Monte clears up some clutter.
In a sense this is similar to what he did in his second offseason with the Kings. Re-signed Richaun and Terrence Davis, held on to Bagley despite his agent desperately trying to get us to cut him, drafted Davion, traded for Tristan Thompson’s expiring. Difference is that this season there wasn’t a huge roster overhaul opportunity at the deadline/the Kings weren’t so dead in the water that Monte had to cull half the roster to build momentum.

Hopefully we can catch lightning in a bottle in the play in. But regardless we have some major personnel decisions to make. We run it back it’ll be the same result next year. Memphis will be in the picture too. Keegan will get better but there’s a grittiness he doesn’t have. Have serious questions whether he’ll drastically move the needle for us

If Monte trades our only assets for “cash considerations” I’ll be at the front of the line to get him fired.

IMO, it’s Monte’s fault that this team stagnated this year. He was one of the few teams with some cap space and momentum this summer and instead of trying to improve the team, he “ran it back” even though even casual fans could tell he needed to move on from Huerter and HB. Now we are going to be capped out and Huerter and HB is an even more unfavorable trade asset in trades this summer.
You seem to be ignoring that the entire west got better, it’s not stagnating if every night is a blood bath. He’s not going to rush a rebuild when we have a long runway. It’s year 2. You don’t generally push the chips in after a 48 win season with 4 or 5 teams having a down year. Every year is going to be like this for the next 4-5 years. Players are in their prime way longer, analytics have helped teams make smarter decisions and the league is bursting at the seams with talent. We are going to have to fight like crazy just to make the playoffs every year. It’s just absolute insanity.

You seem to be ignoring that the entire west got better, it’s not stagnating if every night is a blood bath. He’s not going to rush a rebuild when we have a long runway. It’s year 2. You don’t generally push the chips in after a 48 win season with 4 or 5 teams having a down year. Every year is going to be like this for the next 4-5 years. Players are in their prime way longer, analytics have helped teams make smarter decisions and the league is bursting at the seams with talent. We are going to have to fight like crazy just to make the playoffs every year. It’s just absolute insanity.
Then he should make the team better, which he didn't do in the past year. I don't know what he would do, but only resigning Monk in offseason doesn't get him a pass imo. Memphis is coming back and Houston is surely getting better. We are not overleaping any team in front of us maybe except Clippers who maybe breaking up.

Then he should make the team better, which he didn't do in the past year. I don't know what he would do, but resigning Monk in offseason doesn't get a pass imo. Memphis is coming back and Houston is surely getting better. We are not overleaping any team in front of us maybe except Clippers who maybe breaking up.
I hope they break up. Then we can get PG. That will get us over the hump

Anyone who watched the first 10-15 games of this season could tell that the team was broken. Didn’t even bother to watch this game because I knew it’d be an easy loss.

I really hope last season wasn’t an office quote being played out “I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you’ve actually left them.”

Progress isn’t always linear, but I just don’t know where the team goes from here. We’ve already got 2 consecutive years with the same squad and there’s a very clear ceiling. We’d be lucky to even make the playoffs this year

Going after someone else besides HB with the cap space is not “pushing all your chips in”. Even going after Dillon Brooks would had been a better gamble to improve the team. Staying put with basically the same team was short sighted on Monte’s part.

His two “big moves”, Sasha and Duarte hasn’t even proven to be rotation players, with Duarte looking downright unplayable.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Barnes 2 more years
Huerter 2 more years
We are paying Duarte almost $6M next year.

Yeah there is nothing Monte can do.
I believe that this is why it's important that the Kings make the playoffs this season and convey their 2024 pick to Atlanta. Sacramento's most likely path to improvement, in my opinion, is to identify a rebuilding team that's willing to take on a "bad" contract in exchange for draft picks, and the Kings can't make any real deals involving picks until they regain control for all of theirs.

You think he phased them out? Or did they just play bad? Honest question.

I think brown pushed this defense narrative so hard it messed up our offense flow and killed huerters confidence. Barnes was already a lost cause.

I remember people saying him and grant where the same level. They are most certainly not
He phased out Barnes for sure and the deadline showcasing proved it. The stats all add up too. Keegan jumped up in FGA and those shots were taken from Barnes and hit him specifically in the free throw department since he's isolating less. For most of the season the exact discrepancy in FTA's per game for this team from last year correlated almost identically to Barnes getting to the line less due to usage and Keegan not getting to the line much more in those extra attempts. Keegans shots per game jumped by 3, but he's only shooting 0.6 more free throws per game in those 3 attempts.

Last edited:
Going after someone else besides HB with the cap space is not “pushing all your chips in”. Even going after Dillon Brooks would had been a better gamble to improve the team. Staying put with basically the same team was short sighted on Monte’s part.

His two “big moves”, Sasha and Duarte hasn’t even proven to be rotation players, with Duarte looking downright unplayable.
Bringing in Brooks would have been a huge gamble. He is a great defender but when Ja Morant has had enough of you, you have to wonder. Plus, he is averaging about the same ppg as HB on worse three point shooting. The upgrade is going to have to be bigger than that and Monte knows it. The pursuit of Siakam and his alleged feeling that even Kuzma is not the answer says a lot about his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.