[Game] Kings vs. Magic 1/9/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think we're gonna lose. but I am going to watch and hopefully I can maintain my sanity which was at wits end yesterday for non-Kings issues. (high school applications)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Full meltdown mode with an L. Everything undone!
they have a bunch of big guys and we have Domas who will get 2 quick fouls in the first 4 minutes.

I am not going to sweat this one whatever happens.

Oh, how sweet would it be if we dabble around with the play-in, bow out, thus sending is into the lottery, and see the balls roll our way with the number one pick? Adding Wemby to this roster would be HUGE, and would definitely be the type of move that could for sure take us over the hump.

I don't want us to "Tank For Wemby", though. I hate "tanking". We can, however, "Lose for Wemby"...I like the sound of that much better...:p:p:p

SLAB

Hall of Famer
All I know is if we win, it means nothing because we're supposed to win and if we lose it means the Kings are dust and we should trade everybody and tank
We’re supposedly good this year. We are supposed to beat the Magic, and if we can’t we’re not as good as we think and need changes.
.500 purgatory where we beat some good team and also lost to trash shouldn’t be a goal.

We’re supposedly good this year. We are supposed to beat the Magic, and if we can’t we’re not as good as we think and need changes.
.500 purgatory where we beat some good team and also lost to trash shouldn’t be a goal.
it’s simply not that black and white. Golden state finished last season 12-16 and won it all. Boston lost back to back to the magic on their home floor this season. Lost to Okc by 40. Being around .500 this year is a good thing considering league parity. This is what the new NBA looks like imo where only a handful of teams separate and the rest are competitive almost every night.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
it’s simply not that black and white. Golden state finished last season 12-16 and won it all. Boston lost back to back to the magic on their home floor this season. Lost to Okc by 40. Being around .500 this year is a good thing considering league parity. This is what the new NBA looks like imo where only a handful of teams separate and the rest are competitive almost every night.
Golden State and Boston get the benefit of the doubt. We played above our heads once in the last 15 seasons, got figured out and ended up at 39 wins.

I’m still not convinced, this current Kings team doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt.

.500 is an 11-win improvement over last season. How would that not be good?

Kings advanced metrics have shown themselves to be roughly a top 12 so far this season. Some even higher than that. How is that not good?

I swear, some of you expect a franchise that's been stuck on 25-35 wins for 16 years to all of a sudden just be a 55+ win contender. There's levels to becoming a consistently good franchise. It takes years

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
.500 is an 11-win improvement over last season. How would that not be good?

Kings advanced metrics have shown themselves to be roughly a top 12 so far this season. Some even higher than that. How is that not good?

I swear, some of you expect a franchise that's been stuck on 25-35 wins for 16 years to all of a sudden just be a 55+ win contender. There's levels to becoming a consistently good franchise. It takes years
I had 50 as my ceiling and 6th seed as a realistic target. We've been tracking above that at times, but I'd still be delighted with anything above .500 and a playoff berth. Failing that a play-in disaster and another lotto top 4 draw would be acceptable.

My expectations were 40 wins before the season. They are still on track for that. We have dramatically improved, and this season shows how far down we were for the past 16 years. People hitting the panic button are not living in reality, but as kings fans we tend to do that quite often.

The next 4 games feel like must-wins. We’re playing bottom 5 teams with 3/4 games at home. Winning those 4 should lodge us firmly into a top-4 record in the west past the halfway mark of the season, which is unreal to think is truly in reach for this franchise

I’d also like to see Keegan matched up with Paolo to see if it shakes the cobwebs loose and triggers some of that summer league magic

We are likely about a .500 team. And guess what, that's a huge improvement on last year. If you told this crowd last year that we'd be hovering around .500 all year I suspect most would be thrilled. A .500 finish does not mean we are in NBA team purgatory, but (hopefully) just means we are stepping in the right direction. I'm nervous about the game tonight, and will be pissed if we lose, but I suspect we will have several highs and lows throughout the year.

Kings have improved substantially compared to last season, they're sitting 5th in the West, and actually have an identity/ play style that suits them. But don't think it's bad of fans to look for an improvement on their recent form. While we are much better than the directionless Walton Kings, if we continue to lose games because of poor D we may not be far off a replica of Dave J's last season. That year, we started strong with an early 5 game win streak but sub 500 play for the remainder of the season meant we missed the playoffs. I think we are better than that team - let's see it with another win streak.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Kings have improved substantially compared to last season, they're sitting 5th in the West, and actually have an identity/ play style that suits them. But don't think it's bad of fans to look for an improvement on their recent form. While we are much better than the directionless Walton Kings, if we continue to lose games because of poor D we may not be far off a replica of Dave J's last season. That year, we started strong with an early 5 game win streak but sub 500 play for the remainder of the season meant we missed the playoffs. I think we are better than that team - let's see it with another win streak.

Exactly. And luckily, knock on wood, the Kings big two have stayed relatively healthy. The real playoff teams survive injuries so when you are a team like this one that's always like walking a fine line.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
We are likely about a .500 team. And guess what, that's a huge improvement on last year. If you told this crowd last year that we'd be hovering around .500 all year I suspect most would be thrilled. A .500 finish does not mean we are in NBA team purgatory, but (hopefully) just means we are stepping in the right direction. I'm nervous about the game tonight, and will be pissed if we lose, but I suspect we will have several highs and lows throughout the year.

It's all relative I guess. Is .500 a legit playoff team this season? Probably not. I think with the moves Monte made you have to be a legit playoff team since this team isn't really bursting with upside outside of Keegan potentially. And I'm not sure I would call him bursting either. Davion even if he has that upside is a backup PG, you'll never really see it because of his role. Monte drafted for need, traded a future first, and ate up some of his cap this next summer on depth. Right now the only way for the team to improve immediately and possibly in the future is on the defensive side so for now it's on coach Brown and staff.

I think Fox/Sabonis has been a better duo than even most on the forum thought they could be. Keegan is the wild card for internal improvement. If he is a 19 point a game above average defense kinda guy your ceiling goes up. The Barnes decision, free agency and this years draft are super critical. If we find do diamonds like Memphis and New Orleans have done in recent drafts you set yourself up to be pretty competitive these next coupe years.

Most years we’d consider 2 games over .500 a miracle after 10 games, much less 40

Status
Not open for further replies.