[Game] Kings vs. Chicago Bulls, 3/4/2024, 7:00p PT/10:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish the kings would stop living and dying by the 3 which is one the main reasons they have been so inconsistent. They need to get into the paint more and draw fouls and make their free throws.

Last year
7th in free throw attempts at 25.1 attempts shooting 79%

This year
21st in three throw attempts at 21.3 attempts shooting 73%

They've become too perimeter oriented. Part of it is probably Barnes losing a step. He has always been great at drawing fouls or being that consistent stabilizing force when the kings were struggling, but it's no longer the case this season. Fox has also fallen in love with the 3 so he's no longer looking to attack the paint as much, but to his credit he has been making it a lot better this season. Would still prefer that he get to the paint more though.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Monte was talking about being a guaranteed playoff team I think. 7-10 is play in status. 9-10 have to win twice to even get in.
Until the loss tonight, the Kings were in the top six and only 4 losses behind the Clippers for the 4 seed and guaranteed home court advantage in the first round. We also play the Clippers again so we would just need to make up 3 games over the next month and a half and beat them one more time to take their spot, both completely plausible goals. Obviously tonight's loss doesn't help that cause but Mike Brown didn't know the team was going to lose tonight while making his substitutions.

I already posted in the last game thread that I want Keon Ellis in the starting lineup next to Fox so I agree with you on that point: in my opinion he should be in the rotation and playing a significant chunk of minutes. Mike Brown sees this differently and he's a far better coach than I will ever be so I assume he has his reasons. It's Monk and Huerter that I want playing less minutes on account of they're the weak links on defense. And yes, Davion is a good player who has earned his playing time back after spending half the season in Mike Brown's dog house, whether you want to admit that or not.

hrdboild

Staff member
I mean we could finish 7th and miss the playoffs with two play-in losses.

Absolute worst case scenario there getting stuck with a dog draft pick and likely having to wait another year to make any moves unless we can get Atlanta to just bite on waiving our protection. uggh.
I suppose this is true if you don't think the play-in rounds count as the playoffs. I believe technically that they do count as the playoffs and anyway as a 7 or 8 seed you also would have to lose 2 games in a row to an inferior opponent to be eliminated. Certainly that's possible but damn, if you don't believe that you can at least win 1 of 2 possible elimination games in mid April against any opponent at this point in the year than you probably don't deserve to call yourself a playoff team.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I suppose this is true if you don't think the play-in rounds count as the playoffs. I believe technically that they do count as the playoffs and anyway as a 7 or 8 seed you also would have to lose 2 games in a row to an inferior opponent to be eliminated. Certainly that's possible but damn, if you don't believe that you can at least win 1 of 2 possible elimination games in mid April against any opponent at this point in the year than you probably don't deserve to call yourself a playoff team.
They don't count as the playoffs for lotto standings if I understand correctly which means if we somehow got bounced we keep the pick and remain in limbo.

Honestly, that is all I care about. A nice playoff performance would be great but we can not kick that pick down another year or we'll be tied up at the trade deadline again.

True. Knowing the Kings, they’d likely lose the first one at home and then win the toughest game on the road lol fun times

If it comes to it, no matter the record difference, I wouldn't want to face the warriors or lakers in an elimination play-in game.

This is becoming increasingly annoying and worrying. Yes, such games will happen during the season; yes, sometimes our guys will have subpar games, and other guys will get hot. I get it. But, this is happening far too frequently to us this season.

We need some vocal leader who can hold the team accountable. Ideally, it should be one of Fox/Domas, but not sure if either has the personality. Per Brown's interview, both are more the silent type. Not sure who else can fill that role. Keegan is too young, and is again the silent type. Barnes and Kevin too inconsistent to demand accountability. Perhaps Monk. Else, we need to sign someone to fill that role.

If it comes to it, no matter the record difference, I wouldn't want to face the warriors or lakers in an elimination play-in game.
Agreed. Not only do they have lots more experience than us, the league would much rather get them in the PO than us. Don't want to be a full on conspiracy theorist, but I wouldn't be surprised if even the players think like that.

The number 9 and 10 teams will most likely be the Warriors and Lakers. If the Kings lose the 7/8 play-in game, ain't no way the refs are going to allow the Kings to beat the Warriors or Lakers.

IMHO, its going to have to be get to # 6 or bust for the Kings.

Until the loss tonight, the Kings were in the top six and only 4 losses behind the Clippers for the 4 seed and guaranteed home court advantage in the first round. We also play the Clippers again so we would just need to make up 3 games over the next month and a half and beat them one more time to take their spot, both completely plausible goals. Obviously tonight's loss doesn't help that cause but Mike Brown didn't know the team was going to lose tonight while making his substitutions.

I already posted in the last game thread that I want Keon Ellis in the starting lineup next to Fox so I agree with you on that point: in my opinion he should be in the rotation and playing a significant chunk of minutes. Mike Brown sees this differently and he's a far better coach than I will ever be so I assume he has his reasons. It's Monk and Huerter that I want playing less minutes on account of they're the weak links on defense. And yes, Davion is a good player who has earned his playing time back after spending half the season in Mike Brown's dog house, whether you want to admit that or not.
I don't disagree and that's all true, but I do think Monte is looking beyond this season and wouldn't be surprised if there is even a little showcasing going on now. Especially after he wasn't exactly getting his doors blown off with offers for his "tradable pieces". The reality is just straight benching Davion right now kills all value. The reality is Keon or Davion taking this team to contender status right now? No. That's where Monte is looking long term. I do think Brown could pull another switcharoo come playoff time and players once in could be out depending on play.

The number 9 and 10 teams will most likely be the Warriors and Lakers. If the Kings lose the 7/8 play-in game, ain't no way the refs are going to allow the Kings to beat the Warriors or Lakers.

I actually don't mind the idea of the Kings getting 7 or 8 if they can get in and meet one of the Wolves or Thunder in the first round. The Kings have matched up well with them so far. I'm not sure I like the Kings against the Clippers or the Suns. I think those two teams could turn it into a grindy series. Oh, the Pelicans are also looking like the biggest nightmare matchup out of them all.

hrdboild

Staff member
I don't disagree and that's all true, but I do think Monte is looking beyond this season and would be surprised if there is even a little showcasing going on now. Especially after he wasn't exactly getting his doors blown off with offers for his "tradable pieces". The reality is just straight benching Davion right now kills all value.
The fundamental logic here that I don't understand is how playing a guy who you believe is actively making your team worse more minutes during the most important stretch of the season is going to help build trade value for that player beyond whatever value he currently has. In order to believe that showcasing him now, post trade-deadline, adds value you also have to believe that he's a good enough player that other GMs will see what he's doing for us and be motivated to give up assets to acquire him -- not two weeks from now or a month from now in a desperate bid to shore up a weak spot mid-season but 3 months from now while having all the time needed to pour over tape and stats and make the best decision possible. If all of that is true, how could he possibly be a net negative on the court? That defies common sense.

Last edited:

Can’t be so sure about that. If we lose against the Lakers, we’re only 0.5 games ahead of 9th! Looking like it’s gonna be rooough.

Honestly after experiencing the 4 game stretch that included the Bucks heartbreak and Suns meltdown in phoenix, i think we all can handle anything. It's funny, but i'm looking forward to the Kings playing some tougher opponents because that's the only way they're going to show from start to finish, it seems. Last season we fell by 20 + down and had a habit of having to fight back, and this seasons lesson is about knowing how to maintain leads.

IMO, the problem with the Kings as currently constructed is their ceiling is a first round playoff team.

If coach Brown sticks with this current rotation hoping that he is going to get different results, then I think he is making a mistake. This team has hit their ceiling, they need to shake things up. It's pretty obvious to me that the team is too comfortable, complacent and is not being challenged. There is no fire being lit under them and I think it is Coach Brown's responsibility to light that fire. Shake up the rotation and give hungry young players like Keon, Colby, Edwards and Sasha (when he gets healthy) a shot to make something happen.

Either try to capture some "lightning in a bottle" going into the playoffs or stay the course and get bounced in the first round anyway. If we try giving the young guys some PT and lose in the 1st round, at least we are building toward the future. Stay with the same stale vet lineup and lose in the first round, you build nothing towards next season.

Last edited:
The fundamental logic here that I don't understand is how playing a guy who you believe is actively making your team worse more minutes during the most important stretch of the season is going to help build trade value for that player beyond whatever value he currently has. In order to believe that showcasing him now, post trade-deadline, adds value you also have to believe that he's a good enough player that other GMs will see what he's doing for us and be motivated to give up assets to acquire him -- not two weeks from now or a month from now in a desperate bid to shore up a weak spot mid-season but 3 months from now while having all the time needed to pour over tape and stats and make the best decision possible. If all of that is true, how could he possibly be a net negative on the court? That defies common sense.
Realize that obviously different player types are better fits on certain teams....and that someone who isn't an ideal fit, can play better than he was prior, which could increase his value to a team that sees him as a fit. It's very possible to be a net positive on the court, while at the some time not being as good of a fit as someone else on the roster.

If nothing else has changed, he is shooting and scoring better, which could increase his value. How much? Time will tell

As unlikely as it might be, an undrafted player who they signed out of the G-league, has quickly turned into a better fit for this team than a 9th pick

We absolutely suck at home. Unforgivable.

I have zero faith in this team to win games they should be winning. I get that seeds 5-10 are bunched up but I expect more from this team, it's not a valid excuse to blow leads and lose to short-handed teams consistently.
Yup, every time you think this team has learned their lesson and turned the corner, they come back and lose to an inferior team (at home none the less). It comes to a point where things ain't going to change if this team stays status quo.

We absolutely suck at home. Unforgivable.

I have zero faith in this team to win games they should be winning. I get that seeds 5-10 are bunched up but I expect more from this team, it's not a valid excuse to blow leads and lose to short-handed teams consistently.
Feel like a damn broken record, but I just don't understand this team.

How does this team sans Fox go and beat Minny on the road and then blow a 22 point lead at home to a far worse opponent? It's literally the story of the season; amazing win vs a powerhouse squad followed by an absolute choke-job like we got tonight vs a scrub/meh team.

Which makes this team so hard to evaluate. They aren't bad, by any means. Otherwise we wouldn't have the win resume we have. But it's hard to call them good with so many games in this vein this year where we legit should have like another 5 wins if we just play like anywhere close to normal.

Feel like a damn broken record, but I just don't understand this team.

How does this team sans Fox go and beat Minny on the road and then blow a 22 point lead at home to a far worse opponent? It's literally the story of the season; amazing win vs a powerhouse squad followed by an absolute choke-job like we got tonight vs a scrub/meh team.

Which makes this team so hard to evaluate. They aren't bad, by any means. Otherwise we wouldn't have the win resume we have. But it's hard to call them good with so many games in this vein this year where we legit should have like another 5 wins if we just play like anywhere close to normal.
Not only is this team hard to evaluate, but they are very hard to love. I’m still excited about the core of the team, but I’m now at the point where I’m ready for the inevitable end to this season so management can get to the business of making changes.

Deuce brought up a good point. The LU that Brown went with to close out the Q3 was atrocious and allowed the Bulls back into the game and gave them momentum going into the 4th.

I understand the coaches were in a little bit of a bind with Sabonis and Keegan being in foul trouble (which I think was a result of lopsided officiating) but you can’t have Fox, Sabonis, and Keegan all on the bench at the same time for that long.

Additionally, as others have questioned, where was Keon? We had two guys getting destroyed on defense and never saw Keon get a chance. Is he injured?

Lots of low IQ play there. It's like they had no idea that Caruso was a good defender and just continued to handle the ball loosely around him over and over.

Bad news is the Kings have a chance to get bounced in the play in game.

Good news is they have winning records against the Wolves, Thunder and Nuggets if they wind up a 7-8 seed.

Not only is this team hard to evaluate, but they are very hard to love. I’m still excited about the core of the team, but I’m now at the point where I’m ready for the inevitable end to this season so management can get to the business of making changes.
It's a joyless team at least IMO. sure there are some moments but even in those wins I won't pretend I don't see a bone head brand of basketball being played.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Thinking about the blatant backcourt violation from Drummond that was let go by 3 refs before chicago made a three pointer right after LOL
One official was right in front of that play and clearly signaled that the ball was deflected by our defender, which means that it's a loose ball and frontcourt/backcourt don't apply until possession is re-established.

Status
Not open for further replies.