[Game] Kings vs. Blazers, 11/8/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was refreshing right? Because of his ability to guard the perimeter plus his length it just feels like he should be in the rotation. But realistically where would his minutes come from?
Between Barnes, Duarte and Huerter, seems like he could be getting at least 15 minutes a game when we have a scoring wing that nobody else can stop

it was refreshing right? Because of his ability to guard the perimeter plus his length it just feels like he should be in the rotation. But realistically where would his minutes come from?
I would just start by giving regular spot playing time, for matchups and situations where he will make a difference. Doesn't have to be in a rotation necessarily, but don't forget his value and never use him. I also wouldn't limit playing him later in a game, if needed in a spot, just because he hasn't played yet in that game. Defensive guys are a lot less affected by not being in a rhythm, compared to shooters.

I'm not the biggest advocate for regular scheduled rotations anyways. Change it up, if you see an advantage for different players from game to game. Keeps everyone on their toes, ready, and focused.

Last edited:

The league made a mistake giving Doug Christie a raw defensive prospect like Kessler Edwards to work with. Guy legitimately has the tools to guard 1-4 in the NBA. Now, he’s largely been absolutely useless on offense for most of his career but that really never stopped Tony Allen, Thabo, or Andre Roberson from being rotation players/starters on good playoff teams.
I have been saying the team has to play Edwards from day 1. Regardless of what he does offensively he has unique skills no one else has which this team desperately needs

U
Ellis was measured for a 6'8.5" wing span and 8'6" standing reach. Mitchell came in at 6'4 wing span and 8'.05" standing reach.

It's quite a difference in length
It was literally one win v loss separating us from getting Franz Wagner versus Davion. We tied with Chicago and Orlando won the coin flip. That one game because we refused to strategically play the game contributed to the hole we have today.

As bad as this looks, he was even worse in other possessions. Is this what we get for awarding a new contract?
He’ll be up and down and have some amazing games in between. I don’t see him being here long term but it depends on what we can get back, of course. Hopefully we can fill another team need now that we aren’t as desperate or thirsty for just any ole small forward. I like HB but time is running out for him here, at least as a starter.

not sure why we should get on Barnes. He’s playing out of position. We have 4 stretch 4’s and 1 3 with the length and quickness to guard the 3: Kessler is it. Monte could have spent money to get Grant or another true 3 but he choose not to.
Didn't the blazers basically give Grant the most money that he could have gotten? You make it sound so easy like we chose to simply pass on signing him.

He’ll be up and down and have some amazing games in between. I don’t see him being here long term but it depends on what we can get back, of course. Hopefully we can fill another team need now that we aren’t as desperate or thirsty for just any ole small forward. I like HB but time is running out for him here, at least as a starter.
Wouldn’t mind seeing what Kessler would look like as the starting 3. If HB is going to be flat out invisible, might not hurt to get more defense in the lineup, but it might also send a message to HB that he needs to step it up.

not sure why we should get on Barnes. He’s playing out of position. We have 4 stretch 4’s and 1 3 with the length and quickness to guard the 3: Kessler is it. Monte could have spent money to get Grant or another true 3 but he choose not to.
I would have preferred to overspend on Thybulle over paying Sasha and Barnes. Our defense will continue to suck.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
HB's sporadic play has gone from being just inconsistent to being positively weird, imo. If you think about it, Brown is rightly on the second-year Murray to be aggressive and not fade into the woodwork. Yet, what about the veteran Barnes? Oftentimes, I forget he's even out on the floor. I don't see Brown yelling at him to be aggressive, probably because he views him as a lost cause. Barnes may be a good model for the team in some ways, but his disappearing act for players like Murray and others is just the opposite.

HB's sporadic play has gone from being just inconsistent to being positively weird, imo. If you think about it, Brown is rightly on the second-year Murray to be aggressive and not fade into the woodwork. Yet, what about the veteran Barnes? Oftentimes, I forget he's even out on the floor. I don't see Brown yelling at him to be aggressive, probably because he views him as a lost cause. Barnes may be a good model for the team in some ways, but his disappearing act for players like Murray and others is just the opposite.
it’s also possible he was asked to take a step back offensively so Murray could get more touches. Let’s not forget HB averaged 15 points a game last year.

But yeah, I'm not sure how you pull Keon or Kessler from the rotation after how good they were on defense. Offensively was not good, but they weren't in the way either. And not like anyone else is making shots anyway, so might as well put guys who give a crap on D in the game.

But that begs the question, what the hell do we do with the rotation? Colby/Keon/Kessler have all made a super compelling case to be getting regular rotation minutes and all 3 guys weren't in our original top 10 plans.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But yeah, I'm not sure how you pull Keon or Kessler from the rotation after how good they were on defense. Offensively was not good, but they weren't in the way either. And not like anyone else is making shots anyway, so might as well put guys who give a crap on D in the game.

But that begs the question, what the hell do we do with the rotation? Colby/Keon/Kessler have all made a super compelling case to be getting regular rotation minutes and all 3 guys weren't in our original top 10 plans.
Play the young guys (22/23/24 year old guys) instead of the old guys (26/27/28 year olds)!

Honestly we have too much depth.

Mike Brown might need to have a different strategy for this team because there's probably a lot of guys that deserve minutes.

Maybe he could do one of those super sub strategies where you throw people out there have them go 150% then quick sub then rinse and repeat lol.

Chemistry would probably need to be impeccable though.

I would have preferred to overspend on Thybulle over paying Sasha and Barnes. Our defense will continue to suck.
100% agree. If they had an opportunity to do that but instead ended up with Vezenkov, shame on the front office. Vezenkov is really not even close to being an NBA level player. He is 28 with only 1-1.5 years of amazing Euroleague run and been just an average player all previous years. Thybulle would have solved so many of Kings problems.

Coach Brown doesn’t strike me as the personality type to ever view someone as a lost cause. I agree with most of this post but definitely not that part

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think Houston’s defense is actually good. Fred, Dillon, Jabari, Tari, Tate, Amen are all good defenders, Sengun is bigger and stronger, Green has the size and athleticism to be good and now you have the discipline of a good coach.
(As a note, in our two games, neither Amen nor Tari played.)

Whether their defense is technically "good" or not may remain to be seen, but they came out and played up to us. We played down to them. A classic problem that we've seen over and over. Houston played hard-nosed in-your-face D for 96 minutes. They played us like they had something to prove, and they damn well did prove it. Yeah, Dillon got away with crap like he always does, but they wanted it, we wilted, and we've got to take a lot of lessons from that.

One of the things we should learn is that we need to play harder. We need to make other teams uncomfortable on offense. Because it works. There's been some talk above of finding regular rotation minutes for Colby/Keon/Kessler even though those guys are technically like our 12th-14th guys when everybody is healthy (and Keon's a two-way, so he can't be here every game). But I say, why not open up the rotation a bit? Why not tell each of these guys (and given the way he's played as a lead guard this year, I'd throw Davion in that group as well for the moment) that they are each gonna get a four-minute stretch in the first half and a four-minute stretch in the second half and that for those four minutes, their job on defense is to harass the ball on the perimeter until they puke. That's it. Rest in a corner on offense just spreading the floor if you gotta, because we're going to have four guys who can score on the floor. Open and close each half with the starters, and have 16 minutes in the middle with a harasser on the floor at all times, something like this:

0-6: Fox/Huerter/Barnes/Keegan/Domas (starters do 6 minutes to open)
6-8: Monk/DAVION/Huerter/Keegan/Domas
8-10: Monk/DAVION/Keegan/Vezenkov/Domas
10-12: Fox/Monk/KESSLER/Vezenkov/Lyles

12-14: Monk/Duarte/KESSLER/Vezenkov/McLen
14-16: KEON/Monk/Duarte/Lyles/McLen
16-18: Fox/KEON/Duarte/Lyles/McLen
18-20: Fox/COLBY/Barnes/Lyles/Domas
20-22: Fox/COLBY/Barnes/Keegan/Domas
22-24: Fox/Monk/Huerter/Keegan/Domas

So, at the beginning of the half while most guys are fresh, we go longer stints, then quicker subs throughout the 2nd/4th quarters. That comes out to something like:
Fox/Domas 32
Keegan 28
Monk 24
Huerter/Barnes 20
Lyles 16
McLen/Vezenkov/Duarte 12
Davion/Kessler/Keon/Colby 8
Yeah, I know, that's a FOURTEEN MAN rotation, but dudes will be fresh. Everybody gets to play that much harder. I want to try something like that and see what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.