[Game] Kings v. Nuggets, 2/19/16 - 7 PST, 10 EST

Watching the Kings in the 4th quarter, I do have to agree with Karl that too often the players try to make a difficult or exciting pass instead of just taking the easy play. The result--22 turnovers.

Overall, though, the type of effort and results they needed.

Watching the Kings in the 4th quarter, I do have to agree with Karl that too often the players try to make a difficult or exciting pass instead of just taking the easy play. The result--22 turnovers.

Overall, though, the type of effort and results they needed.
time and place. If your on a run and up take a few chances. If your down and trying to get back in then you cant have turnovers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He ended up on Mudiay for a while and, while Mudiay wasn't all that effective on his own, Ben did seem to pressure him well.

More importantly, there still were some switches on defense, and in one particular instance down the stretch I remember Ben was switched on to Gallinari and held his own.

What really hurts, in my mind, is when Cousins draws the swarm down low, actually succesfully passes out of it, and the Kings swing the ball around to the open shooter and the shooter misses. Ben may have done this, but I distinctly remember Collison missing a couple of these from the corner (Collison otherwise had a great game, though).
Okay, Ben didn't suck as bad as I thought. He did, however, miss one of those wide open shots he absolutely has to make. I think I'm so frustrated with him I just focus on the negative. I stand corrected.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
No, I thought we were close to competitive against the Clippers early in the year but came up a little short on talent and experience with the game on the line. We seemed to lose our focus throughout the course of the season for various reasons, but when we come to play like we did tonight, the feel of the game is different. We're working hard to stay competitive and we still take too many games off but we have the talent to almost compete with anyone. That's the key. Almost. That doesn't explain the head-scratching losses to the Sixers, TWolves, and Pelicans -- it's quite obvious when we don't come to play. But some of that is fatigue and some of it is momentum related. One bad loss adds pressure to win the next one and we've been making it extra hard on ourselves with our defensive performances. The defense can get better if we continue to work on it in practice. We've been good at forcing turnovers, grabbing rebounds, and blocking shots we just can't defend the long ball.

You could blow it up and start over or see what Rudy will get you in a trade, but I think we can build on this core and become more competitive next year. None of these guys are near the end of their careers yet. One more starter quality player in the rotation and we go from borderline playoff team to solidly in the 5-8 range. Then you keep tweaking from there.
That is the exact reason why the Kings should force these players to drive it into the paint with one of Cousins, Trill or Koufos waiting on them since they are incapable of defending the three.

As far as Rudy is concerned, his body language is all I need to see. I specifically watched him on the defensive side of the ball over and over again and on numerous occasions he missed his responsibility on his man and then you have Rondo telling him where he should be and he has the audacity to argue with him about it. All in all, you don't just give away Rudy for crap, but he needs to be out of town and I hope that is going to be in the off season. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he leaves his former teams, they get better in return.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We won tonight, in case you missed it.

But hey, keep trying to find ways to diminish Cousins. It's actually kind of entertaining.
You're pulling straws here. I'm not putting down Cousins, I stated that facts aren't the whole story and I'd rather him sacrifice points to get more rebounds, blocks and score efficiently but what does it tell you that all three of the Kings' best players had good games and they still barely won against Denver? do they really all need to score 18+ a night to win ball games?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
You're pulling straws here. I'm not putting down Cousins, I stated that facts aren't the whole story and I'd rather him sacrifice points to get more rebounds, blocks and score efficiently but what does it tell you that all three of the Kings' best players had good games and they still barely won against Denver? do they really all need to score 18+ a night to win ball games?
Of course you are putting down Cousins. Don't think I'm going to buy your crap. Boogie had a great game. Why is that a reason to diminish it? That's exactly what you did. And if we need that to win and he can do it, so what?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Of course you are putting down Cousins. Don't think I'm going to buy your poopoo. Boogie had a great game. Why is that a reason to diminish it? That's exactly what you did. And if we need that to win and he can do it, so what?
You think he can give you 30 and 20 every game? does he need to to win ball games?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We were missing Omri and Marco (present shooting woes notwithstanding), two of our guards couldn't hit water from a boat, we were truly trying to play defense for the first time in what seemed like forever, and WE STILL WON. Why? Because the guys we needed the most did their jobs.

You seem more concerned with cold statistics than the actual dynamics of the game. I think that's myopic.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Aileen really helped by criticizing his fitness in every single article, so DeMarcus hit the gym in order to get in her good graces. He can't stand knowing that he is a disappointment to Aileen.
He'll never be able to match Peja's rippling muscles though and it's been gnawing at him deep down inside since the day he was drafted.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
You think he can give you 30 and 20 every game? does he need to to win ball games?
I know Boogie is not perfect. I think though when he accomplishes something that hasn't occurred since 2003 (Kevin Garnett) we can just look at it and say "dang, that's good." The offensive game was good but he also blocked 4 shots (and had 6 TOs, I think). Personally I am going to try to enjoy him.

If the rest of the team, like Gay and Marco, play up to their ability, there will be more Ws. Rondo seems to have found out that he can shoot. That's good also.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We were missing Omri and Marco (present shooting woes notwithstanding), two of our guards couldn't hit water from a boat, we were truly trying to play defense for the first time in what seemed like forever, and WE STILL WON. Why? Because the guys we needed the most did their jobs.

You seem more concerned with cold statistics than the actual dynamics of the game. I think that's myopic.
oh come on...cold statistics? have we seen this same picture before? the Kings decide to string together 2-3 games of good hustle and defense only to revert back to what they originally were, a loser. I know it's easier for some posters to be more optimistic than others, therefore I don't judge you for that but me personally....I will not fall for this trap.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
oh come on...cold statistics? have we seen this same picture before? the Kings decide to string together 2-3 games of good hustle and defense only to revert back to what they originally were, a loser. I know it's easier for some posters to be more optimistic than others, therefore I don't judge you for that but me personally....I will not fall for this trap.
For some we have to be optimistic. It has to do with age for me. This is a difficult team to follow and if I was a pessimist, I wouldn't follow the team. There are better things to do.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
For some we have to be optimistic. It has to do with age for me. This is a difficult team to follow and if I was a pessimist, I wouldn't follow the team. There are better things to do.
The Kings would have to leave Sacramento for me to stop following them...as much dysfunction, chaos, ineptitude, sucking that has gone on with this franchise, I can't see myself rooting for another team. I'm the true definition of a die hard.