Kings trading Evans for Vasquez/Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only July 4. And you have to start somewhere. If PDA's approach is to build around Cousins, then Vasquez actually makes sense. Those elite teams didn't come together in a big bang. They were built, just like our team back in the day. This ain't for the faint of heart. It's gonna be a helluva ride this summer. I'm gonna hold on and enjoy every second. At least we've got things to talk about, unlike prior years when draft day pretty much signaled the end of the Kings involvement in the off-season.
I am not following this part. BOS and LA came together by trading young talent for stars and won titles immediately, not trading away young talent for lesser talent. SA was already a contending team, but decided to tank to land Duncan which immediately turned into a title(s). OKC is the only one you could say was built, and even then when they reached the finals and were really clicking, it was with 3 young stars they drafted and developed.

Remember Vivek's mantra? This guy thinks 4 moves ahead. We are focusing on Tyreke for Vasquez, but I'm sure they have a clear plan, and they already know what they are going to do next. I'm pretty sure they are not just making moves hoping something good will happen in the future. If they decided to let Reke walk, it's because they have someone else in mind that they believe they can get. And like Baja said, maybe they didn't want to bring him back from the beginning. That means we are getting one of the most underrated PG in the league, who's getting better each year, for basically nothing.
I know that we, as Kings fans, come from years of Maloofery, and we think that every move is made just to save money, and not with a vision to get this team better. But this FO is trying to rebuild a team that couldn't even win 30 games the last few years. Let's give them a little time, and have faith in these people.
I mean, come on, a week ago they were the heroes who saved this franchise, now they are the dumbest people on earth because a lot of internet GMs don't approve their first move. Unbelievable.

This move is bad. Really bad. Worse the than the trade that got us Salmons. I'd at least think we could get Aminu or someone else back in this. But Tyreke for Vazquez straight up? Almost nonsensical. Tyreke's a much better player. The only thing Vazquez does is pass the ball. He is a poor player offensively and a worse player on defense.
That doesn't make any sense. With the Salmons trade, we gave up a better player that fit our system (Beno) for an iso player with a worse contract (Salmons). Not only that, we moved DOWN in the draft to do it! UGH what a deal that was.... It's not we have Evans signed for a few years and are simply trading him for Vazquez. He's signed an offer sheet that we don't want to match. NO ONE here knows how that offer sheet is set up. It could be a "poison pill" contract like Lin and Asik signed in Houston, where it will be tons of $$$ in the final year. Let's find out what happens in the next couple of days and then compare it to other deals.

I think part of the problem here is that since this team went to crap (thanks Maloofs.....) Kings fans are so desperate for a star (aka franchise savior) that those hopes got unfairly put on the shoulders of Tyreke Evans when said fans saw that glimmer of star potential in him. As we know though a glimmer of star potential doesn't mean you will actually become a star.

Looking back I think the whole "20-5-5" campaign from Tyreke's rookie year really did a lot of damage. Remember all of the comparisons to Michael Jordan and LeBron James? So many fans bought into those comparisons and were practically giddy that the Kings had the next best thing since MJ and LBJ. The organization (Maloofs) were the biggest pushers of this nonsense propaganda and it's not hard to see why they did it, took the focus off the fact they were not willing to spend much money on actually rebuilding the team.

I think no question the "20-5-5" thing hurt Tyreke's career and hindered his development. Problem is 4 years in it's getting too late to reverse the damage. It also hurt the team and too much focus was put on a player that really wasn't a star and not meant to lead a team. It also hurt the fan-base to where now people are having a really hard time letting go and they don't realize who they are letting go isn't viewed with the same sort of reverence by the new powers-at-be.

None of this is the fault of Tyreke. He is who he is as a player and it's not his fault that the last regime and the fan-base falsely labeled him a star or some kind of player you build around when his numbers, his career arc, and most importantly the record of the team just don't indicate that.

Last edited:
I understand that the Kings were never going to win anything with Cousins and Evans as the main guys. But you can't just dump him for almost nothing. If you can get anything good from NO then you sign him to the offer sheet and then trade him later.

If you think about it, we were the worst team in the league 4 years ago, and all we have to show for it is Greiviz flipping Vazquez and cap space. Unreal.

Last edited:
Cousins
JT
Iggy
MLM
Vasquez

Calling it right now... this is our starting 5. Cap space has to be for Iggy and a Cousins extension... no doubt in my mind at least.

I understand that the Kings were never going to win anything with Cousins and Evans as the main guys. But you can't just dump him for almost nothing. If you can get anything good from NO then you sign him to the offer sheet and then trade him later.
Once again, they're not dumping him for almost nothing... we're getting a starting pg that's 6'6" tall and averaged over 9apg. We're also getting $9mil/yr in cap space to do as we please with.

I think part of the problem here with is that since this team went to crap (thanks Maloofs.....) Kings fans are so desperate for a star (aka franchise savior) that those hopes got unfairly put on the shoulders of Tyreke Evans when said fans saw that glimmer of star potential in him. As we know though a glimmer of star potential doesn't mean you will actually become a star.

Looking back I think the whole "20-5-5" campaign from Tyreke's rookie year really did a lot of damage. Remember all of the comparisons to Michael Jordan and LeBron James? So many fans bought into those comparisons and were practically giddy that the Kings had the next best thing since MJ and LBJ. The organization (Maloofs) were the biggest pushers of this nonsense propaganda and it's not hard to see why they did it, took the focus off the fact they were not willing to spend much money on actually rebuilding the team.

I think no question the "20-5-5" thing hurt Tyreke's career and hindered his development. Problem is 4 years in it's getting too late to reverse the damage. It also hurt the team and too much focus was put on a player that really wasn't a star and not meant to lead a team. It also hurt the fanbase to where now people are having a really hard time letting go and they don't realize who they are letting go isn't viewed with the same sort of reverence by the new powers-at-be.

None of this is the fault of Tyreke. He is who he is as a player and it's not his fault that the last regime and the fanbase falsely labeled him a star or some kind of player you build around when his numbers, his career arc, and most importantly the record of the team just don't indicate that.
You're reading too deep into it. Just give me a player that can get to the basket and FINISH, better than most of the league, and actually play some defense. Thats what he does. That along with Cousins, screams "built for the playoffs" or at least on your way one day, with the right moves to surround them with complimentary talent. We didn't even TRY to see how Evans and Coach malone would work together

Except we have't seen Evans at the point except on teams with no one on them but him. The last two years he's p;ayed 4 different positions. Tough to get better when you don't know what your role is. Can we really argue Evans isn't the superior talent every single time? This trade is a talent drain on a team that can't afford to lose talent for free (we can't sign FA stars)
True he hasn't established himself at any particular position, and perhaps if he had played consistently in one position then he might have improved. But my worry is us getting lumbered with a big contract if he doesn't become at the least a decent player in whatever position he ends up playing.

I'd rather us get an improving PG like Vasquez that gives us a guy that can play the position to a decent standard, or better; and then find a way to bring in a pair of forwards.

Evans is a good player, and you're right that we can't afford to lose talent, but if we land Vasquez that does help ease some of the pain at losing Evans.

Substitute Ryan Anderson for Lopez in this deal, and I'd be a whole lot more excited about it. Yeah, I know Lopez is supposedly going to Portland, but if the Pelicans really want Tyreke this badly, maybe PDA could convince them to send Ryan Anderson home in the deal. I'd play hardball and tell them that you'd only take Anderson and Vasquez in the deal or you'll simply match the offer and keep Tyreke.

Unless you think the extra cap space is going to open up some better deals from some teams trying to clear more cap space for Dwight Howard, I'd only take Anderson and Vasquez for Reke or keep him.

Once again, they're not dumping him for almost nothing... we're getting a starting pg that's 6'6" tall and averaged over 9apg. We're also getting $9mil/yr in cap space to do as we please with.
Exactly! If we sit on the capspace and it ends up being Evans for Vasquez it's a horrible move. But if we end up somehow crawling back to Iggy and convincing him to sign here, Iggy and Vasquez is a pretty good haul for Evans and his potential.

Remember Vivek's mantra? This guy thinks 4 moves ahead. We are focusing on Tyreke for Vasquez, but I'm sure they have a clear plan, and they already know what they are going to do next. I'm pretty sure they are not just making moves hoping something good will happen in the future. If they decided to let Reke walk, it's because they have someone else in mind that they believe they can get. And like Baja said, maybe they didn't want to bring him back from the beginning. That means we are getting one of the most underrated PG in the league, who's getting better each year, for basically nothing.
I know that we, as Kings fans, come from years of Maloofery, and we think that every move is made just to save money, and not with a vision to get this team better. But this FO is trying to rebuild a team that couldn't even win 30 games the last few years. Let's give them a little time, and have faith in these people.
I mean, come on, a week ago they were the heroes who saved this franchise, now they are the dumbest people on earth because a lot of internet GMs don't approve their first move. Unbelievable.
I wish I had so much faith. Granted this is new ownership and management, but we often thought the same in the past too, only to realize that there wasn't any bigger picture.

Nothing to take away from the new guys, but I think it's a BAD move. Reke was one of our best players, a potential star, and someone who played selflessly and without any complaints as we floundered around from year to year, yanking him from position to position, and not defining his role adequately. I really fear that we shall regret this move big time in very near future.

Exactly! If we sit on the capspace and it ends up being Evans for Vasquez it's a horrible move. But if we end up somehow crawling back to Iggy and convincing him to sign here, Iggy and Vasquez is a pretty good haul for Evans and his potential.
Sure that's true... except the Kings have never landed a marquee free agent. I'll eat crow if we land Iggy, but I think we're just being used as leverage with him. Cap space is for role players and resigning your own if you're the Kings (or Thunder, or Spurs, or Pacers, or Bucks) You don't let you're own talent walk hoping to sign stars if you're one of those teams.

We don't have to SIGN someone with cap space, we can absorb someone else's contract. For example, GSW wants Dwight, but doesn't have the cap for him... We could, say do a 3-way trade with Portland, send a pick & change to GSW, portland gets David Lee / Thorton, we get LA...

That's where cap would be most useful - we can facilitate a trade, absorb a huge salary and grab a great player.
OKC used it to great effect, getting good young players and ton of draft picks.

It's possible, and potentially very useful, particularly in these times of super luxury taxes. However, OKC had its stars, and the fan base in a new city could afford to be patient. We are planning to trade away one of our stars, and the other has displayed maturity issues so far. Finally, the Kings fans have been suffering for several years now, and it's unfair to expect us to have the same patience.

You're reading too deep into it. Just give me a player that can get to the basket and FINISH, better than most of the league, and actually play some defense. Thats what he does. That along with Cousins, screams "built for the playoffs" or at least on your way one day, with the right moves to surround them with complimentary talent. We didn't even TRY to see how Evans and Coach malone would work together
The cost for "trying" to see how well they could work together is 4 years/44 million. Apparently that is not something PDA was willing to "try" because if it doesn't work it sets the franchise back even further.

A team of Cousins and Tyreke screams failure not built for the playoffs. They've played together the last 3 years and nothing indicates built for the playoffs or even close to being on their way.

Tyreke Evans numbers keep getting worse........a fact that people keep ignoring while stockpiling the excuses.

Meanwhile Vasquez continues to improve with each year and despite being on a pathetic team this year he averaged 9 assists. I thought players on bad teams don't improve? Or does that only hold true for Tyreke?

wow.. reke for vasquez? and thats it.......................................................... wow. if this move is to gather a lot of cap space to make a run at iggy again will make me throw up.

gonna be pissed when reke carves up our malone defense and puts demarcus on the bench because he's drawing fouls left n right.

Sure that's true... except the Kings have never landed a marquee free agent. I'll eat crow if we land Iggy, but I think we're just being used as leverage with him. Cap space is for role players and resigning your own if you're the Kings (or Thunder, or Spurs, or Pacers, or Bucks) You don't let you're own talent walk hoping to sign stars if you're one of those teams.
What? How about taking on a star player that rebuilding teams can't afford anymore? If we ditch Salmons, we will have almost 20M to work with AND we have our starting PG for next year. I don't get why so many people are so angry, Evans signed a big offer sheet and we weren't going to match it.

Guys, guys, guys!!!

C'mon, don't you see what's happening?

PDA is actually thinking 4 years ahead, not 4 moves! He's going to sign Evans when his Pelicans contract is up!

Tyreke's numbers are not getting worse. His minutes were down because he wasn't being used properly, but when you look at his per minute stats he hasn't dropped off at all. In fact he had his best year as a pro in terms of scoring efficiency.

wow.. reke for vasquez? and thats it.......................................................... wow. if this move is to gather a lot of cap space to make a run at iggy again will make me throw up.

gonna be pissed when reke carves up our malone defense and puts demarcus on the bench because he's drawing fouls left n right.
And if Tyreke carves up their defense and the Kings still win the game so what......

The league is filled to the brim with guys that hog the ball, score a lot, and do nothing to make their teammates better.

Ben Gordon was a guy that used to hog the ball, score a lot, and do nothing to make his teammates better. Where is he now? Certainly not on a good team that wins games.

Next year when the Kings are winning more games and have a clear direction for the future a lot of fans are going to be eating crow and hopefully forgetting about their "star" who gets to the basket so well.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A team of Cousins and Tyreke screams failure not built for the playoffs. They've played together the last 3 years and nothing indicates built for the playoffs or even close to being on their way.
Quite the opposite, the games of those two DO scream built for the playoffs.

Its all the other garbage suiting up that doesn't fit the picture.

Also, Tyreke's numbers have not been getting worse and worse. He was never more efficient than last year. The ONLY thing he wasn't doing was getting the ball enough to score, and notably the mintues to score it. The little chuckers allowed him to take 11.9 shots a game, which I thought was kind of generous given that was 11.9 shots they could have chucked up themselves. Unfortunately that's also roughly the usage rate of a JJ Redick. And hence "ooh, Reke's numbers are in decline, stop the excuses". Not getting the ball is a pretty rock solid excuse.

As I've mentioned, put DWade on the team and use him like that and he'd make no impact either.

In all seriousness, be patient with the process. I have no doubt this new regime is doing what it takes to bring a winner back to Sacramento. With possibly 20 mil in cap space, PDA will be making another move. Sign Iggy? Trade for Granger? Whatever it is, there are too many guards to not make another deal. I for one, will enjoy the ride and stay optimistic.

And if Tyreke carves up their defense and the Kings still win the game so what......

The league is filled to the brim with guys that hog the ball, score a lot, and do nothing to make their teammates better.

Ben Gordon was a guy that used to hog the ball, score a lot, and do nothing to make his teammates better. Where is he now? Certainly not on a good team that wins games.

Next year when the Kings are winning more games and have a clear direction for the future a lot of fans are going to be eating crow and hopefully forgetting about their "star" who gets to the basket so well.
I'm starting to wonder how many hornet games these fans have watched before passing judgement on Vasquez.

Status
Not open for further replies.