Kings To Interview Eddie Jordan

Adelman had certainly proven more; however, I think he is right that a number of people were lukewarm on the hire. I didn't even use this board back then, so I can't really back this up and name posters. But at my old boards, the word retread was floated a lot. The point being, there is more that goes into being a good coach other than just a record, since the players ultimatley make a larger difference.
Adelman was a waaay more accomplished coach at the time. And the word applied to the Jordan situation is not lukewarm, it is flat out negative.

Jordan couldn't win with Jamison, Arenas and Butler.

What do you think he will do here?

Adelman was a waaay more accomplished coach at the time. And the word applied to the Jordan situation is not lukewarm, it is flat out negative.

Of course, I started my post saying Adelman had accomplished more.

As for EJ, those are 3 very flawed players. Arenas and Jamison are two of the worst defenders in the league. Their role players were attrocious and they still made it as far as the second round of the draft.

We've gotten into a way-too-long debate in the past regarding Jordan and his resume Sptsjunkie, and we didn't get anywhere then - we aren't now. ;)

The point of the matter is this: Rick Adelman and Eddie Jordan never should be mentioned in the same sentence. Ever.

We've gotten into a way-too-long debate in the past regarding Jordan and his resume Sptsjunkie, and we didn't get anywhere then - we aren't now. ;)

The point of the matter is this: Rick Adelman and Eddie Jordan never should be mentioned in the same sentence. Ever.
Well we agree on the second part of that. Adelman had already been to the finals when we hired him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...My point is that until the coach and team get together, no one has any idea how it its gonna turn out...
And it's a valid point, IMHO. I'm pretty sure, no matter how we may grouse on the board, whomever is brought in as the new coach will have a chance to prove himself. We Kings fans are funny that way. ;)

Did I compare their resumes or their bodies of work? Calm down. I'm comparing the attitude fans had when we hired Adelman to the feeling about some of the potential coaches out there today. People weren't exactly thrilled then and things turned out ok. People laughed when Hubie Brown was hired by Memphis. Fans will probably be upset with Jordan or Westphal...I was simply saying that things aren't always clear cut.

Saying that everyone jumped for joy when Adelman was hired is a bit of revisionist history.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If I remember correctly, Kings fans back then weren't all that excited about the head coach anyway. Considering the heighths to which the Kings had soared, the guy sitting in the suit next to the scorer's table didn't seem to be that big of a deal...

As for EJ, those are 3 very flawed players. Arenas and Jamison are two of the worst defenders in the league. Their role players were atrocious and they still made it as far as the second round of the draft.
Man, that takes some some serious coaching. ;)

Is it too late to exhume Red Auerbach?

I think the reason Eddie is getting a lot of consideration is the offensive style he runs. The Princeton offense. That seems to be what the kings want to run, and are looking for someone who knows how to run it. That appears to be why, among many other reasons, they brought back coachie.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

You mean the ideal blueprint for superstar players and the guaranteed collective makeup of a championship contending team??? You don't say....

People complained about Muss, Theus and the potential of Wiz because they were supposed "Maloof" decisions. This is a a supposed GP decision and people are still complaining.

Plus, I am pretty sure that everyone knew that EJ was going to get an interview - especially after GP outlined his criteria for a new coach a couple of weeks ago in his press conference.

Can we just relax a little?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes EJ is better than Wiz IMO, but that isn't saying much. There is still better and I really hope GP picks someone different.
Whether there is or isn't "better" is purely subjective at this point, since none of us really know the full criteria Petrie is looking for and any provisos (such as cost) he may be working with...

At this point, I'm pretty much willing to give anyone not named Whisenant a fair shake. After Musselman and Theus, I'm not gonna even pretend to know what could or couldn't be our ideal coach.

Whether there is or isn't "better" is purely subjective at this point, since none of us really know the full criteria Petrie is looking for and any provisos (such as cost) he may be working with...

At this point, I'm pretty much willing to give anyone not named Whisenant a fair shake. After Musselman and Theus, I'm not gonna even pretend to know what could or couldn't be our ideal coach.
Well I meant that in my opinion there is better, but I didn't want to put IMO twice in like 4 words.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What's your criteria for evaluating potential coaches? I think Jordan is arguably a lot better than a number of potentials out there. I don't know what to look for that would be so clearly defined as to make one person a substantive choice over another. Face it...it's a crap shoot.

:)

There are a handful of guys that I'd prefer over Jordan. Having said that, I'm just glad we're not going the Eric Musselman or Reggie Theus route again. That is to say, Jordan actually has NBA head coaching experience, and he's been relatively successful, whereas Theus didn't have any experience (I don't think) and Musselman was just awful in his previous attempt. I wouldn't get excited if we hired Jordan, but it's not something I'd be mad about

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Gosh guys, its just an interview. Probably one of many. You people need to chill out a little. Come down to baja and have a couple of cervesa's. I suspect that most of Petrie's attention is going to be on the draft. The only coaching prospects he'll interview are the one's who have no job or their team has been eliminated from the playoff's. I doubt anything will be decided until july or beyond.

I wouldn't really be angry with them taking him as a coach, but I would be slightly dissapointed. I just never really liked the teams that he coached and I didn't see much if any defensive improvements in his players. I would rate JVG and Avery slightly higher. IMO Byron Scott would be slightly higher than those two.

like i said before, none of the coaches available are going to make us a perennial playoff team, but ej can help us get out of the hole were in now better than anybody. sign him to a 3 year, then reassess the situation afterward. i will bet anybody on this board $5 that we will be a 30 win team under ej. im not going for the gold right now, but im very content with baby steps out of the basement

the Bee had a good write up about him today saying his closeness with GP and Carill and willingness to play the much favoured princeton offence makes him a strong contender. I agree with Jon, im happy with baby steps but i would really like us to strongly consider JVG and playing some D

Rick Pitino said he is not interested in Kings opening and will remain at UL. Likewise, ongoing speculation about Byron Scott is completely ridiculous since he was just given a strong vote of confidence by the Hornets organization and is still very much under contract with that NBA team. Some of this Kings head coach wish list talk continues to come across as nothing more than pie in the sky banter or worse utter ignorance of THE REAL SEARCH.

i'm late, are the pitino talks no longer going on? last i heard this week on espn his people contacted the kings organization...
While watching the Nuggets/Mavs game 3 they had some info scrolling at the bottom stating that Patino is staying put and that "the Kings had concerns about his possible salary demands."

If the Maloofs are worried about Patino's salary makes me wonder how much they are willing to cough up for a real coach.

If the Maloofs are worried about Patino's salary makes me wonder how much they are willing to cough up for a real coach.

What is his salary now? He may want 3-4 million a year or more (those college coaches are sometimes making up to 2 million a year, as a state worker!), and seeing as how his previous attempt at the nba was a flop, anything above 2 million would be unjustified.

I would be happy with Jordan at 4 million a year.

What is his salary now? He may want 3-4 million a year or more (those college coaches are sometimes making up to 2 million a year, as a state worker!), and seeing as how his previous attempt at the nba was a flop, anything above 2 million would be unjustified.

I would be happy with Jordan at 4 million a year.
Pitino already makes over $2M a year.

The new deal increases Pitino's annual salary from $1.65 million to $2.25 million beginning next season, and will pay him $2.5 million a year if he stays until the end of the contract. The contract also boosted a loyalty bonus due Pitino on July 1 from $1 million to $1.75 million. He'll receive loyalty bonuses of $3.6 million in 2010 and 2013 if he remains with the school.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2858909

Im not getting worked up over the interview... interview as many people as you want. I'll just be dissapointed if Jordan becomes our head coach.

I dont care how well he knows the Princeton offense .. Im sure Coachie knows it better anyways. If Petrie is going to insist on drafting and signing players who cant play defense can we please get a coach who knows a thing or two about defense?

I know a lot of people here ( along with the GM ) want a coach with NBA experience ... that would be fantastic. To bad all the HC's with NBA experience that are any good are STILL COACHING.

VF said it was a crapshoot, and I agree. Unless you have a real established coach you just cant predict what kind of effect a certain coach will have on a certain team. That is why I like to go with the 'unknowns'. I didnt hate Theus, most analyst's (ESPN, TNT) thought Theus did a really good job in his first season .. the team overperformed and had a ton of injuries .. I dont know what happened this season .. He did better than Natt but now we have the most balls so .... whatever.

Anywho..

I nominate ( for the hundreth time ) Mr. Thibodeau. While finding a good coach IS a crapshoot, here are two things I know about Tom.

1) He knows defense
2) players love him

Those are two things that he has and will have no matter what. Weather it works out for the Kings or not is another story, but those two things are important, and I rather take another chance then settle for a known loser.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
MassachusettsKingsFan said:
I nominate ( for the hundreth time ) Mr. Thibodeau. While finding a good coach IS a crapshoot, here are two things I know about Tom.

1) He knows defense
2) players love him

Those are two things that he has and will have no matter what. Weather it works out for the Kings or not is another story, but those two things are important, and I rather take another chance then settle for a known loser.
And, he's not a head coach. By that I mean that you can still have a good defensive team as long as you have someone that knows what he's doing. The head coach himself doesn't necessarilly have to be a defensive guru, as long as he has someone like Thibodeau as an assistant.

Look, I don't know how good a coach Jordan would be. I know he probably didn't get a fair shake when he was here. The roster he had to work with was hardly noteworthy.

Richmond, who was on the downside of his career, but still a good player.

Corliss Williamson, still learning the in's and outs of the NBA.

Billy Owens, A big bust by anyone's standards.

Funderburke, Never better than a backup PF.

Otis Thorpe, Or at least someone that looked like him.

Abdul Rauf, Never saw a shot he didn't like, and never heard of the word defense.

And the rest were not worth mentioning. The difference between a good coach and a bad coach on a bad team might be 5 to 8 more wins. Debatable of course. The point is, you need talent to win. And then you need that talent to stay healthy and play together for a while. To me, the biggest question would be, will Jordan have the respect of the players? Does he have good enough credentials to demand that respect. Only the players can answer that one.

1) He knows defense
2) players love him

I'm not anti Thib, but it's worth pointing out that it's easy for players to love an assistant coach. The assistant is their best friend and makes them feel better when the head coach denies them minutes, pulls them from the game, or runs plays for other players. The HC is the bad guy who has to make the tough decisions. Shoot, even Muss was loved in Memphis, even though his players hated him in Golden State and Sac. The Suns loved Iavarroni (sp), although he butted heads with players in Memphis. I am sure the players love Thib now, but we still have no idea how that will translate into his role as a head coach.