[Game] Kings @ Thunder, 4 Jan 2016, 20:00 ET/17:00 PT

No Durant tonight, but the Kings have lost fifteen straight in Oklahoma City. Will that continue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Best part of this game is that the Kings never fully self-imploded after getting the lead. The start was bad, but they never had that 5 minutes of total chicanery that they normally have. Cleaned that up and got a win.
Entire Kings focus changed it seemed after Cousins and Gay decided to have two-man team meeting, hash out a few things yelling at each other.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
WCS reminds me of young Gerald Wallace in that he plays so balls-to-the-wall that he actually seems to have no regard for his own wellbeing and thus ends up being injured all the freaking time.
You sound upset. ;)

WCS is a tremendous athlete. Watch how fast he is up and down the court. He's like a gazelle. He also has a nice shooting stroke although it only works when no one is guarding him like in warm ups. He'll get a decent shot as his career advances.

BTW, he was the best in the combine in his vertical leap (not sure if that is the correct term) In the last 20 or so years only 10 people have reached higher than he and one is Rudy Gay.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You sound upset. ;)

WCS is a tremendous athlete. Watch how fast he is up and down the court. He's like a gazelle. He also has a nice shooting stroke although it only works when no one is guarding him like in warm ups. He'll get a decent shot as his career advances.

BTW, he was the best in the combine in his vertical leap (not sure if that is the correct term) In the last 20 or so years only 10 people have reached higher than he and one is Rudy Gay.
There was like a 6-year stretch where Crash was my favorite player in the NBA but at the same time you have to still be smart while playing hard.

You sound upset. ;)

And remember how Tim Duncan looked as a rookie back in late 90s? Obviously Timmy more talented coming out of college than Willie but there are similarities. Both ran exceptionally well in transition as young thoroughbreds. Both had poor or at best average strokes from field, from FT line. But both made commitment to D and both with one "big"thing can't teach - length and height. Not saying WCS will ever reach HOF status of Duncan but he has chance to be very special player for Kings with an obvious high ceiling. Heck, forget ceiling, WCS is already talented. Wish was saying same about 'ol supposedly so much promise BenMac.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Note - How awesome is it that Demarcus is hitting 3's at a rate we wanted before the season!! 2-4 today.. Looking great! I cant believe his fg% was so poor today though. I could have sworn he took less shots.
Cousins had quite a few put backs off of his own missed shots. Helps in the rebound dept, but hurts your field goal percentage. Despite the low FGP, I thought it was one of Cousins better games. He did his best to get back in transition. Didn't argue with the ref's while play was going on, and only turned the ball over one time. Maybe I should disown more players. I didn't realize that losing my loyalty would motivate him like it has. Two games back to back of playing the way he should play every night. Well done Cuz.

Nice game by WCS in limited minutes. The only player that had me screaming at my TV was Collison with his constant over dribbling, burning the shot clock, and then throwing up a highly contested shot.

Haven't seen anyone say that.

Beating OKC is nice and all..but it's like beating our team with Rondo and Casspi out.. essentially what KD is to OKC.
To begin with, the Kings played an excellent game which only showed what I have been told for a long time: This is a very talented team, a playoff team. However, I don't agree with your comparison. KD is undoubtedly one of the best players in the league, but that comparison is problematic. When KD plays, the OKC scoring just shifts. Other players score less. When Casspi scores, it hardly takes anything off the others, because of his low volume high efficiency scoring. Rondo is THE playmaker of the team and his function to the Kings is, to my mind, more important than KD to OKC. You saw how Ibaka (what a player!) stepped up his scoring. OKC did not play bad at all, they actually played well. The Kings just played a brilliant game with Boogie giving a millennium performance.

You sound upset. ;)

So right!!! I was so happy when the Kings picked Willie in the draft. I wanted him so badly. Willie has a ceiling in the clouds. When he really gets familiar with the NBA pace and systems, he'll be a superb player. He and Casspi are the two players in team that you just have to love. Very unselfish and they give their best every time.

To begin with, the Kings played an excellent game which only showed what I have been told for a long time: This is a very talented team, a playoff team. However, I don't agree with your comparison. KD is undoubtedly one of the best players in the league, but that comparison is problematic. When KD plays, the OKC scoring just shifts. Other players score less. When Casspi scores, it hardly takes anything off the others, because of his low volume high efficiency scoring. Rondo is THE playmaker of the team and his function to the Kings is, to my mind, more important than KD to OKC. You saw how Ibaka (what a player!) stepped up his scoring. OKC did not play bad at all, they actually played well. The Kings just played a brilliant game with Boogie giving a millennium performance.
Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying Casspi is better than Durant? Are you saying Casspi is more important to his team than Durant? Not many people are going to agree with you on that one.

Also, while DMC had a good game it's kind of hard to call it a "millennium performance" when he went 11-27 from the floor.

What a great game and a much needed win. I still stick with the idea that we need to trade Rudy. He limits Omri's time and he just doesn't fit in with the team.

What a great game and a much needed win. I still stick with the idea that we need to trade Rudy. He limits Omri's time and he just doesn't fit in with the team.
Really? You think Omri should be getting more minutes? He's been between 30 and 40 for weeks now, even before he was a starter - how many more do you want? Or do you mean you just think he needs more at SF instead of PF?

Really? You think Omri should be getting more minutes? He's been between 30 and 40 for weeks now, even before he was a starter - how many more do you want? Or do you mean you just think he needs more at SF instead of PF?
I don't like him at PF at all. Puts too much strain on whoever is playing C (usually Boog) to rebound the ball. I also don't like Rudy at the 4. I just think both Rudy and Collison give us a ton of issues defensively and rebounding, without a whole lot of benefit offensively.

Because Rudy sucks at dribbling, he doesn't really put a lot of strain on a PF guarding him. Because Collison is a mediocre shooter, 2 guards just back off of him. But defensively we're consistently giving up offensive boards and having to double guys because we're outmatched. I just think both of them don't really fit on the team, and instead of trying to mold the team around them I think we should trade them so everyone can play their natural positions.

Especially with WCS back we run into an issue where either WCS is sitting (since Rudy would play the 4 and Omri would play the 3 with Boog at the 5) or Omri is sitting (with Rudy at the 3). I just don't like the idea that we're trying to mold around these guys that aren't giving us much of a benefit in terms of mismatches.

Because Rudy sucks at dribbling, he doesn't really put a lot of strain on a PF guarding him. Because Collison is a mediocre shooter, 2 guards just back off of him. But defensively we're consistently giving up offensive boards and having to double guys because we're outmatched. I just think both of them don't really fit on the team, and instead of trying to mold the team around them I think we should trade them so everyone can play their natural positions.

Especially with WCS back we run into an issue where either WCS is sitting (since Rudy would play the 4 and Omri would play the 3 with Boog at the 5) or Omri is sitting (with Rudy at the 3). I just don't like the idea that we're trying to mold around these guys that aren't giving us much of a benefit in terms of mismatches.
Since when is Collison a mediocre shooter? Look at his shooting percentages for his career. The guy is a rock out there. He's never going to lead the league in shooting percentages but for a PG his percentages are fantastic and absolutely not indicative of defenses sagging off of him.

I just don't get how Collison doesn't fit the team. He's just about the best backup PG in the league. It's not his fault that Karl doesn't use him as a PG. It's not the players fault if he isn't being used correctly.

Remember Omri has just a couple years of success while Rudy has about a decade. Is Rudy falling off a cliff or just going through a tough run right now? We don't know but you can't just write him off by New Years. If by some miracle they get to the playoffs, you're going to need Rudy's skill set when the defenses clamp down. Omri relies heavily on his teammates to get him shots and that doesn't always happen when a team like the Spurs has everyone on lock down. Cousins, Gay and Collison are the only guys on the team that can go get their own shot when it's crucial.

Watched the game start to finish, truly a pleasure. The whole team looked like they were on a mission, and really enjoyed watching the 1st quarter comeback. It was nice to see them break their losing streak in OKC, and it'd be even greater if they'd snap their losing streak on the second of back-to-backs tonight. Surprised how effective Trill was, hope to see him out there tonight (I'd love to see him try to block Dirk's patented fade shot).

Since when is Collison a mediocre shooter? Look at his shooting percentages for his career. The guy is a rock out there. He's never going to lead the league in shooting percentages but for a PG his percentages are fantastic and absolutely not indicative of defenses sagging off of him.

I just don't get how Collison doesn't fit the team. He's just about the best backup PG in the league. It's not his fault that Karl doesn't use him as a PG. It's not the players fault if he isn't being used correctly.

Remember Omri has just a couple years of success while Rudy has about a decade. Is Rudy falling off a cliff or just going through a tough run right now? We don't know but you can't just write him off by New Years. If by some miracle they get to the playoffs, you're going to need Rudy's skill set when the defenses clamp down. Omri relies heavily on his teammates to get him shots and that doesn't always happen when a team like the Spurs has everyone on lock down. Cousins, Gay and Collison are the only guys on the team that can go get their own shot when it's crucial.
Because they don't utilize him as a PG, they utilize him as a SG. It's not his fault he's utilized that way, but we have a better PG that plays a lot of minutes. So it's either play 10-12 minutes a game, or play 25-30 but play out of position. It's not always about how good someone is, but how well they fit. He's shooting 35% from three, which is where he's standing around a lot of the time. Guys sag off him all the time to help out on other guys (mainly Boogie).

He's a great backup PG, which is why he'd be so valuable to a team that doesn't have a good PG, and why we'd be so much better off getting a decent 3&D SG.

We would have absolutely no backup PG at that point. If Rondo gets hurt or has to sit a few games, we're screwed. Opposing players sag off of Casspi to help guard Cousins too. Defenses aren't disrespecting Collison's shot. They just respect the hell out of Cousins. You're making it seem like Collison is pre 2015 Rondo from beyond the arc. The guy is solid and I'd rather have him playing spot minutes at SG than run the risk of destroying the season by having to rely solely on Rondo for our success.