[Game] Kings @ Suns, 3/11/2023 6pm Pacific 9pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that we disagree on anything here. Morgan is good at what she does and there isn't anyone in sports who always has great takes.
Morgan has grown on me over the years. She basically a glorified fan, but that’s kinda what I dig about her. She’s a passionate KINGS fan that knows enough about the game and the team that I’m sure I’d have a great time talking KINGS and the NBA with her over a couple IPA’s at local brewey or taphouse.

I still can't believe we're 8-1 since the break when everyone was dooming our lack of movement at the deadline.
Yep.

Remember some of the doom and gloomers on this forum whining about the KINGS not making any moves while the rest of the league all got better?

I fully recall clapping back, saying that not all of the splashy headline moves that were made would work out. Lots of moves were made out of desperation and panic. Luckily, McNair wasn’t one of the GM’s that panicked and overpaid, or worse yet, broke chemistry.

I’m sure McNair would have made more than the Kessler Edwards deal had the right deal presented itself. But, clearly, it didn’t.

Regardless, how fitting is it that the team with the best record in the NBA since the break is the only contending team that didn’t make any earth shattering moves?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Did that really happen? If so, major kudos my friend.

The forums “anti-spam” feature made it possible for me not to be exposed to his nonsense so I had no clue of the hard work you were doing.
I mean, he left once it was clear he was going to be losing yet another charity bet and for the second time he didn't want to actually pay up. 0-for-2, IIRC.

Anyway, he reneged on his second $100 bet and we turned that into $700+ for charity (I think the coverage may have exceeded $2K for the first renege) so I think it was worthwhile. My only regret is that with kb02 apparently gone, it may fall to ME to make the dumb bet so we can seed year 3 of the KF.com charity drive.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I mean, he left once it was clear he was going to be losing yet another charity bet and for the second time he didn't want to actually pay up. 0-for-2, IIRC.

Anyway, he reneged on his second $100 bet and we turned that into $700+ for charity (I think the coverage may have exceeded $2K for the first renege) so I think it was worthwhile. My only regret is that with kb02 apparently gone, it may fall to ME to make the dumb bet so we can seed year 3 of the KF.com charity drive.
This last round may have exceeded last year.

Right, Kessler was putting out an incredible amount of energy (kudos tonight)....he looks a bit more athletic than Murray, but Murray has a much more developed looking skill set and savvy on offense. That said, this is a "good problem" to have. You need an energy guy out there - and if Edward can work that hard night-in-and-night-out he'll have earned his higher minutes.
if, and at this point it’s clearly if, Kessler can develop into a Doug Christie type of player that would be huge for this team. That allows Keegan to play the 4 and Kessler can play the 3 and take the better of the 2-3 wing on the other team.

What McNair does about Barnes in the offseason is very intriguing to me. He has the kind of game that should age well, so McNair should definitely try to see where he stands. If Barnes wants to play for a title contender, then you let him go with gratitude. But the thing is, Barnes has already gotten a ring, and he's already gotten his money, and he seems like the kind of guy who could be talked into giving the incumbent team a discount, to stay on and be a part of building something he believes in.

Meaning that the 12-15 million dollar question is: does Harrison Barnes believe in what the Kings are building?
Ummmm.....I don't think we're that far off from US being a title contender (if we aren't already right now).

What McNair does about Barnes in the offseason is very intriguing to me. He has the kind of game that should age well, so McNair should definitely try to see where he stands. If Barnes wants to play for a title contender, then you let him go with gratitude. But the thing is, Barnes has already gotten a ring, and he's already gotten his money, and he seems like the kind of guy who could be talked into giving the incumbent team a discount, to stay on and be a part of building something he believes in.

Meaning that the 12-15 million dollar question is: does Harrison Barnes believe in what the Kings are building?
The Kings are a title contender.

I don't think Barnes want to go anywhere. The question is should the Kings resigned him? Base on what he does this season under Brown? OF COURSE!! Hell no, you don't trade a player that valuable on the team. Did you see him constantly getting buckets for the Kings while everyone struggling to make the basket? He's the one guy that constantly attack the basket and getting foul and disrupt the other team's run. Also, did you see how consistent he is at the free throw line? I think Barnes fit the Brown system perfectly. Maybe not long term contract due to his age, but definitely short term.

Monte is playing chess. Say what you want about our defense (I personally believe many defensive stats are rendered irrelevant by the modern NBA game) - but it's becoming very very difficult to game plan against us. Our offense has shown the ability to adapt to attempts to shut down any single player, and our defense just got a whole lot better. We have legit specialized perimiter defenders now in Davion and Kessler. Yeah Booker got 29 points but he felt like he was a non factor - and like you said he was disrupted. That matters much more than the final stat line. And by the last half of the fourth, he was essentially completely immobilized. I know I'm gushing right now but what I saw against a team I was really worried about was, pardon the pun, game changing.
If Brown get COTY, Monte should get Executive of the Year lol.

I was one of the people that wanted to stand pat. This is the first year this current team has been good. No reason to trade players that got us here. Even if it was the last player on the bench, and what could you have even got for a last on the bench type of player anyway? Surely nobody that could have helped..

Now after the season I would be looking at trading Holmes, Mitchell and a couple other players. I would keep Barnes (for his experience and ability to fit in without needing the ball to score), Fox (knock on wood that the injury bug doesn't pop up again), Sabonis, Lyles, Metu, Monk and Murray.

I am on the fence With Hueter but would be perfectly fine keeping him, but I am thinking Monk might want to start along side Fox next year though.
Trading Mitchell? Nah, his defense is too valuable. Unless they got a valuable piece back...but nobody in the league play defense like Mitchell imo. I am on the fence with Huerter starting as well but I don't think Monk play great D either. Beside, this team need someone to spark off the bench and Monk and Sabonis work very well with the pick n roll. I wouldn't want to mess with success and chemistry. I agreed Mitchell offense is lacking, but if you get a potent offensive-minded player in a trade but doesn't play D, then it's going to make the team look weak. Just like having Huerter or Keegan, great offensive players but lacking defensive instinct. I'll say keep Mitchell and hope he improve on offense...he's been shooting great lately.

FWIW, with the level of communication that this staff and FO seem to have, I’m pretty sure they have a pretty confident idea of what they want to do, what they can do and what it will cost.

Don't worry Capt, I'll find someone with a dumb enough take to the mantle.

Very intrigued by Kessler after last night.

He is not afraid, and has the length/versatility to be a factor. Could end up developing into an important role player. These last 15 games are important for him and may play a role into what Monte decides to do with Barnes. Not that I want to get rid of HB, but Kessler may make him more expendable if we don't resign him.

Very intrigued by Kessler after last night.

He is not afraid, and has the length/versatility to be a factor. Could end up developing into an important role player. These last 15 games are important for him and may play a role into what Monte decides to do with Barnes. Not that I want to get rid of HB, but Kessler may make him more expendable if we don't resign him.
You can't take that crunch time 3 without some real confidence. And for how little he's played, stepping up to check Booker? Excellent stuff.

We don't really need more from him offensively. Be a willing and competent spacer, finish easy transition looks ( although that left handed finish where he went coast to coast was eye opening for sure). And just be that hustle guy on the floor that makes the little impact plays.

Now that Coach Brown has seen what Kessler can do on an elite wing, I expect that Kessler will be getting some consistent minutes going forward. I'm guessing that Kessler will be winning many, many more DPOG.

Personally, I want to see Kessler take the KD assignment, if the Kings meet the Suns in the playoffs.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The word I keep coming up with is ADAPTABLE.

We don't need to rely on a star, but we can if we need to. We don't need to get everyone involved, but we can if we need to.

It makes it very hard to gameplan against us. Monte is playing chess.
I'd say Monte and Brown are playing chess. It's one thing to give the team some bench guys to possibly fill in at times. It's entirely another thing to have those bench guys making important contributions to winning games, especially meaningful away games against good teams in the playoff hunt. I wonder how many of the Kings' prior coaches would have this kind of success with guys like Metu and Kessler? It would be a very short list, that's for sure.

Now that Coach Brown has seen what Kessler can do on an elite wing, I expect that Kessler will be getting some consistent minutes going forward. I'm guessing that Kessler will be winning many, many more DPOG.

Personally, I want to see Kessler take the KD assignment, if the Kings meet the Suns in the playoffs.
Bingo. While everyone else in the west was focused on importing HOFers, we quietly picked up the guy that may be able to shut them all down. Amazing.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say Monte and Brown are playing chess. It's one thing to give the team some bench guys to possibly fill in at times. It's entirely another thing to have those bench guys making important contributions to winning games, especially meaningful away games against good teams in the playoff hunt. I wonder how many of the Kings' prior coaches would have this kind of success with guys like Metu and Kessler? It would be a very short list, that's for sure.
This shows the importance of having a GM and head coach that are on the same page and aligned with their philosophy.

As for Metu, I have a feeling that he was re-signed and Okpala & Moneke were brought in at Brown's request, based on his familiarity with them from the Nigerian national team. To me, that just shows how much both guys are committed to working together.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This shows the importance of having a GM and head coach that are on the same page and aligned with their philosophy.

As for Metu, I have a feeling that he was re-signed and Okpala & Moneke were brought in at Brown's request, based on his familiarity with them from the Nigerian national team. To me, that just shows how much both guys are committed to working together.
It also implies that Brown is pretty fair at talent evaluation. It's all to the good.

Status
Not open for further replies.