[Game] Kings @ Rockets, 4/1/2022 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barnes 25 pts on 16 shots is annoying and Davion had his worst game in awhile, but:

Damian Jones: 17-17-2, 6 blocks on 9 shots
Chimezie Metu 18-13 on 13 shots
DDV: 19-9-9 3 steals, 2 blocks on 10 shots
Josh Jackson: 11-2-1 on 5 shots

If we benched Barnes and played Queta, I'd have no qualms about what we're seeing. Because it's largely on the back of younger guys who are very likely going to be rotation guys next year.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Green and KPJ are real upside swings and Sengun is a fun, solid young big but aside from that all their "young" pieces are like 23/24 year old AAAA-level guys.
I think Green has physical abilities that could explode with development and gains in size. KPJ is interesting, but I think he's getting inflated right now. Especially against a super small G Kings team. He's getting those modern combo G productivity boosts but he doesn't look like a true beast in any way. Green might have takeover potential at some point. Yeah but outside of that not a lot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Barnes 25 pts on 16 shots is annoying and Davion had his worst game in awhile, but:

If we benched Barnes and played Queta, I'd have no qualms about what we're seeing. Because it's largely on the back of younger guys who are very likely going to be rotation guys next year.
Even then, the Rockets were going so small most of the night and Dame Jones was having such a great night that it's hard to see Queta getting more than 5-10 minutes tonight.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

And now Gentry is in a tough spot because he can't bench players producing and he can go into the exit interview and say he went 4-1 on that road trip, lol.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think Green has physical abilities that could explode with development and gains in size. KPJ is interesting, but I think he's getting inflated right now. Especially against a super small G Kings team. He's getting those modern combo G productivity boosts but he doesn't look like a true beast in any way. Green might have takeover potential at some point. Yeah but outside of that not a lot.
The main concern I have with KPJ is his maturity, which is what resulted in the Rockets being able to get him for a conditional second in the first place. Dude's got size and athleticism but he's had three or so baffling conflicts with the coaching staff this year alone. It's a shame because the Cavs really could have used him next to Garland this year rather than having to give up a first round pick for Caris Levert.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
On a night where Davion could barely hit rim, Haliburton couldn’t miss. Starting to wonder if they’re cosmically bonded. Like an entangled pair.
Some credit definitely goes to Houston on that one. He's good shooting of the curl but the Rox met him on that all night, even doubled him. This is why players like Fox simply don't grow on trees. Teams have thrown everything they could at him and he still dropped 30 because he has so many dimensions to his game in the triple threat. Davion shooting of the short pick and roll has been a great thing though. They might have their modern day BoJax locked up already with him.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The main concern I have with KPJ is his maturity, which is what resulted in the Rockets being able to get him for a conditional second in the first place. Dude's got size and athleticism but he's had three or so baffling conflicts with the coaching staff this year alone. It's a shame because the Cavs really could have used him next to Garland this year rather than having to give up a first round pick for Caris Levert.
Yeah, Porter is a special case. He's got franchise player talent but he wears out his welcome in locker rooms. He might not be done bouncing around the league but he'll keep getting chances if he keeps producing. It will take a coach who is both strong-willed and patient to really get the best out of him.

Period!

Davion's had a bad game and all our vets have hurt the team more than help it as our "young guys" played great. What aside from purposely throwing the game would you have them do?
Yes, Davion missed his first nine field goals. But he still ended up with a double-double. He distributed well and defended well. When is a double-double a “bad game”?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yes, Davion missed his first nine field goals. But he still ended up with a double-double. He distributed well and defended well. When is a double-double a “bad game”?
He also had 7 turnovers and had a turnover that led to the Rockets pulling within three with time left.

Also the post in question was a reply to someone upset that the Kings didn't do more to lose so it was less about critiquing Davion than pointing out that the Kings couldn't lose against a team that had absolutely no desire to win.

He also had 7 turnovers and had a turnover that led to the Rockets pulling within three with time left.

Also the post in question was a reply to someone upset that the Kings didn't do more to lose so it was less about critiquing Davion than pointing out that the Kings couldn't lose against a team that had absolutely no desire to win.
So you’re saying that context matters?

Status
Not open for further replies.