Kings deal:

Brad Miller
Kenny Thomas
Francisco Garcia

Nets deal:
Vince Carter
Mikki Moore
Bostjan Nachbar

Why for Nets: This is ONLY if the Nets feel they will lose Vince for nothing. They solidify frontcourt and get a young promising swingman type to replace Vince. They break up Vince's mega deal among three players who could all possibly start for the Nets with RJ and Kidd, at least be in the top 6-7 rotation. Francisco Garcia IMO is a very good player who doen't get the burn he needs in Sacto behind, Martin, Artest, Salmons and sometimes Douby. I think he's slightly ahead of Antoine Wright on the young player curve, but between the two I see the 2 guard spot in good shape for the Nets. Brad gives the Nets an all-star level center in the East, especially with Nenad out. Twin is an ideal complement to Brad. Also like I have stated here MANY times before. Kenny Thomas is a very good fit in New Jersey. He runs the floor, rebounds and plays solid-good defense.

RJ would be the main scoring threat and with the passing abilities of Brad/Kidd the offense would open up for the Garcia's/Wright's/Thomas'/Twin's to score more often. Brad and Garcia bring outside shooting threats and the Nets have a team they can compete with Kidd with for the next 3.5 seasons, while using the draft and MLE/LLE's to place the proper role players around to contend in the East. Nets get two veteran frontcourt players that have deals that run near similarly to those of Kidd/RJ and add another young swingman to replace the outgoing VC.

Why for the Kings: The Kings are set at the 1-3 positions. While VC adds to that in the short term, his potentially expiring deal lands the Kings either one of 2 things they are looking for. Added cap space or an opportunity to realize a sign and trade with Vince. In the short term the Kings will have an identity of small ball by placing Ron at the 4 and VC at the 3. The Kings will try to run down the floor and score on opponents and run a full pressure/trapping type defense. This deal will also force Musselman to develop Justin Williams at the 5 spot(which nearly EVERY Kings fan wants to see). Mikkie Moore just adds depth at the 5 for the Kings. This off-season the Kings could have their nucleus look like just Martin/Artest with potentially 20+ million to spend in the Free agent market with VC and possibly Bibby opting out. This helps the Kings in their search to acquire a big man to build around with Artest/Martin.

Line-ups

Nets:
C: Brad Miller, Jason Collins, Mile Ilic, Nenad Krstic(IL)
PF: Kenny Thomas, Josh Boone, Clifford Robinson
SF: Richard Jefferson, Bernard Robinson
SG: Francisco Garcia, Antoine Wright, Hassan Adams
PG: Jason Kidd, Marcus Williams, Eddie House

Kings:
C: Justin Williams, Mikki Moore, Vitaly Potapenko
PF: Ron Artest, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Mo Taylor
SF: Vince Carter, Corliss Williamson, Bostjan Nachbar
SG: Kevin Martin, Quincy Douby, Ronnie Price
PG: Mike Bibby, John Salmons, Jason Hart

I think that Moore is a center too
Ya, I see that but the thread shows the lineups as Williams and Artest starting. Either way, I wouldn't want to rely on Mikki Moore to start at center. This trade really doesnt work for either team.

I don't like this for either team. What do the Nets want with Brad Miller? They're a running team. They need athleticism in the front court, not passing and shooting.

And why in the world would the Kings do this?

I don't think the nets want to start Garcia at SG, when he's third string behind Martin and Salmons for the Kings. I also can't see the Kings trading their lone remaining 7 footer. I really don't want to play Ron out of position at the 4, especially against guys like Amare/Howard. Improved rebounding aside, he's not a power forward. If we were going to trade for Carter, it's much more likely we'd part with Artest to do so, but that doesn't really solve our big man problems.

The Nets already has Krstic at the 5 (I know, he's out for the season, but he's coming back). They want a PF who can score with his back to the basket and rebound.

They may be interested in SAR but I don't see the Nets wanting Miller.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Nets already has Krstic at the 5 (I know, he's out for the season, but he's coming back). They want a PF who can score with his back to the basket and rebound.

They may be interested in SAR but I don't see the Nets wanting Miller.
Nope...They passed on him 2 offseasons ago because they felt his knees would not hold up.

Nope...They passed on him 2 offseasons ago because they felt his knees would not hold up.
They also had a contract on the table that was way higher than the Kings got Reef for. He might just be a bargain now. Plus they also have had two years of watching Reef to know that his knees are actually fine. I wouldn't be shocked if they used to his knees to get out of the own offer. I'll bet there was some confusion about what the owner wanted to spend and what Rod Thorn thought he could spend.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
True, but for 2-3 months only...then we jsut unloaded 20 million more in Vince Carter opting out(or get something of worth through a sign and trade deal)
yeah, because the Kings have such a fantastic history of stellar sign-and-trade deals.

Ron Artest may have the heart of a PF but forcing him to play that position for "2-3 months only" wouldn't be fair to him, to the team, or to the fans.

While I'm not sure that this is THE trade that will make the difference, I have to give Smills91 some points for creativity. Nets get an all-star center (Eastern Conference) and accomplish the shake-up they supposedly want; Kings get out from Brad's contract, maybe have first shot at re-signing one of the most exciting players in the league. Could do worse. In fact, have done worse :D