Kings:Postgame quotes-vs. Seatle,Game four

Postgame Quotes-vs. Seattle, Game Four

Kings Coach Rick Adelman
"Obviously, this is disappointing. I don't know what happened (in the second half). We weren't patient. Obviously, there was Ray Allen. He had an answer every time. We just have to regroup. We have to win out there (in Seattle), come back here and see if we can get a win back at home."

"The guys have to keep working. Some of the shots (Ray Allen) made were incredible. There were times when he broke down our focus. When he's got it rolling like that, he's the quickest shooter in the league. He was just draining it. He's a great player."

"(Brad Miller) is okay , but he was out two months. He's coming back from a broken leg and he's giving it everything he's got. When he's out on the floor, he's our best big guy out there. I thought we got out of it in the third, but he just dominated in the fourth."

"It's hard to explain. It's disappointing , but there are a lot of things we can do to hurt this team."

"We missed some shots we should have made, but we also took some shots that were tough shots. You need to make that extra pass each time. You have to trust each other. When things get tough, you have to trust each other, but we didn't do it."

"We have one more game. They have to win four games. They're going to have that mindset where they can feel sorry for themselves. If they do that, they're dead on Tuesday. That's all they can do."

Mike Bibby
"We've got to start moving the ball and stop rushing shots. (Seattle) kept coming back."

"It's bad. It's a big blow. But we still have life. Nobody on this team is going to lay down."

"We've got to try to get the ball out of (Allen's) hands and make somebody else try to do it. We've got to help each other better and make him pass the ball."

"We've just got to see how bad we want it. We
ve got to go out there to play in Seattle. We've got to get a good practice in tomorrow before we leave and see what happens from there."

Peja Stojakovic
"It was a tough loss, especially at home. We've got to give (Seattle) credit. They played good basketball. They made a lot of tough shots, especially Ray Allen. We've got one day (before the next game), and we've got to see the tape (of tonight's game) and see what we can do defensively to make it harder on them and try to win the game on Tuesday."

"The shots that (Ray Allen) were making, they were unbelievable. I think we had two guys on him , a big guy and Cuttino , and he was just making a lot of tough shots. I don"t think they beat us on the boards and we didn't turn the ball over a lot. I just think we've got to be more focused on the defensive end, especially on Ray (Allen). They're going to set a lot of screens for him and they're going to get him open. Tonight he was moving a lot and he was making a lot of tough shots. We've got to come Tuesday and try to win the game in Seattle."

Corliss Williamson
"We were a little frustrated. We were up by 12 in the first half. Anytime you're on your home court, you have to finish them off. But give the Sonics credit. We have to pick ourselves up and be ready to get a win in Seattle."

"We can't feel sorry for ourselves. We're down 3-1. Like TNT says, it's win or go home. Something like this is hard to swallow , especially when you're playing at home."

"Ray Allen is a great player. That's why he is who he is. He's able to make big shots and make big plays. We can't rely on one person to stop one guy. We have to recognize where he is on the court."

"We have the right pieces. Mentally, we have to become tougher and smarter. Defensively, we have to learn to play better as a team. If we do those things, we're a different team. We have to maintain composure and know how to take away the lead and get it back."

Kenny Thomas
"We came out in the first half and we were playing as a team as far as taking shots. We were basically running the offense that we've been working on. Unfortunately, we weren't doing that in the second half. (Seattle) got off to a run and I guess we panicked. Everybody wanted to knock down shots and get us back in the game but it just didn't go like that."

"I don't think (we could have done) anything (to stop Ray Allen tonight). It was one of those nights. He was getting to the hole real easy and we were trapping him. For example, when he knocked down that three at the end of the (shot clock) buzzer, it was at the end of the game but it was that kind of night for him. He had a great night."

"We've still got to go up (to Seattle) and try to get a win Tuesday. If we take it one game at a time, go up there and get that one and come back down here, and go up there again, anything can happen, it?s the playoffs."

"Down 3-1, it's hard and it kills your confidence a little bit, but I think we've got a lot of guys on this team that have been in the playoffs before and know how to win. We've just got to come in tomorrow, get a good practice, and then go up (to Seattle) and get a win."

Last edited:
I thought we got out of it in the third, but he just dominated in the fourth."
I thought the same too. I was worried in 3rd Qtr and was hoping Kings will play much better in 4th. But it didn't happen. Plus, Ray even got hotter in 4th.

"We missed some shots we should have made, but we also took some shots that were tough shots. You need to make that extra pass each time. You have to trust each other. When things get tough, you have to trust each other, but we didn't do it."
That's the reason why the players started playing more selfish, everyone just wanted to make something happen to win. Everyone was just thinking of offense and not defense. Hard to trust each other when there are lots of new guys.

Everything with Adelman is "got to hit our shots" or "We kept missing our shots". I never hear anything like "We need to clamp down defensively" etc. The mindset of outscoring everyone in the playoffs wont work but I guess he has no choice

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bench Mob - I think Adelman made reference to the defense:

The guys have to keep working. Some of the shots (Ray Allen) made were incredible. There were times when he broke down our focus.
but he's not a fool. He knows his players and knows they have very little defensive mindset. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and you can't make guys play defense all of a sudden when it's simply not their forte.

There isn't a quick fix solution to what ails the Kings, IMHO.