KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they have the luxury of another off year if they want to keep Dame around. But they could also be looking to move him and have no big contracts on the books for the sale. That said, Phil gave a monster offer for a smaller market team, seems like it is just bad blood, pride or something in the way there.
I would think Dame is aware of the plan? One would hope haha. They can build a team for him starting this summer and next. There's talk of interest in Lavine and it could be possible. They don't have a ton of space right now but they could get there for someone this year if they dump some salary, and probably have some left over to add another piece next summer

Saw this on B/R. I’d do it. I think OG is an ascending player
NBA Trades: 3 OG Anunoby trades for the Toronto Raptors – Sacramento Kings

Raptors receive: #4 Pick 2022 NBA Draft, Donte DiVincenzo

Kings receive: OG Anunoby, Svi Mykhailiuk, #33 Pick 2022 NBA Draft
Oof. I don't know, they'd have to send some type of future 1st the other way. OG isn't worth a 4th pick straight across. He's probably close though considering he's a perfect small ball PF in the modern NBA.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I would think Dame is aware of the plan? One would hope haha. They can build a team for him starting this summer and next. There's talk of interest in Lavine and it could be possible. They don't have a ton of space right now but they could get there for someone this year if they dump some salary, and probably have some left over to add another piece next summer
presumably their plan was having more draft capital this year when they went into full on tank and traded CJ for what they thought would be a second lottery pick. whoops. maybe the new assistant GMs they brought in can right the ship. I think the main guy was a money guy, kind of like if Ken C was running us here.

Oof. I don't know, they'd have to send some type of future 1st the other way. OG isn't worth a 4th pick straight across. He's probably close though considering he's a perfect small ball PF in the modern NBA.
that’s my thoughts as well, but I’m also thinking he’s really ascending and is only 24. Could totally backfire though lol

presumably their plan was having more draft capital this year when they went into full on tank and traded CJ for what they thought would be a second lottery pick. whoops. maybe the new assistant GMs they brought in can right the ship. I think the main guy was a money guy, kind of like if Ken C was running us here.
Yeah, I'm sure that was part of it, and they obviously got crushed when the Kings moved up. If they are building around Dame though it has to be through the FA market. This isn't like with Fox, Dame is getting right into that 3-4 year window age wise and that's a wrap. If healthy he can still be good for another 6-7 years probably but small, high usage guards like that tend to fall off hard at some point.

Brogdon was a off and on sixth man there though and got paid largely based on what he could do with an increased role and the ball. When you combine all the risks I still say taking upside at 4 and having max money next summer is a much better plan. If the Kings have to rebuild having to unload Fox/Brogdon could be tough. The Kings could have a perfect escape plan if they just play this straight. I would imagine if the Kings had any interest in Brogdon it would have been discussed at that time.
But do you risk losing Sabonis if we don't show him we're all-in on building a playoff winner through his contract? And you're not really sacrificing future, you're still getting a Keegan/Griffin/Sharpe/Daniels at 6. I don't think Brogdon really sacrifices much future flexibility either. We're pretty much guaranteed to be going for it the next 2 seasons and if things blow up the summer Sabonis is a UFA? He's a 22.5 mil expiring contract.

The way I'd look at it is if you actually could do much better in the summer of 23 than Brogdon? Basically we'd have Sabonis/Fox/DDV/Mitchell and the 2022 pick on the payroll. I mean, there's nice forward pieces, but most are RFA (Grant Williams, Jerami Grant, PJ Washington, Brandon Clarke, Maxi Kleber, resigning Barnes potentially). Same with the guards: Dort is a nice UFA piece but the rest of the guards are players teams aren't going to let go. I suppose if you gave Dort and Grant Williams nice contracts, but I also think Boston views Grant Williams as their long-term Horford replacement. You'd probably have to go at least 13 mil to get them to think to not match.

So you're just risking you can pry away one of these quality RFA pieces.

that’s my thoughts as well, but I’m also thinking he’s really ascending and is only 24. Could totally backfire though lol
True, and if the Kings are thinking Murray based on fit, I don't think trading Murray for OG 1 for 1 is actually all that bad. If Banchero or one of the other bigs fell and/or Ivey lives up to his potential it stings. OG on his contract is such a steal though. The more I think about it the more I'd say yeah, just do it, haha.

But do you risk losing Sabonis if we don't show him we're all-in on building a playoff winner through his contract? And you're not really sacrificing future, you're still getting a Keegan/Griffin/Sharpe/Daniels at 6. I don't think Brogdon really sacrifices much future flexibility either. We're pretty much guaranteed to be going for it the next 2 seasons and if things blow up the summer Sabonis is a UFA? He's a 22.5 mil expiring contract.

The way I'd look at it is if you actually could do much better in the summer of 23 than Brogdon? Basically we'd have Sabonis/Fox/DDV/Mitchell and the 2022 pick on the payroll. I mean, there's nice forward pieces, but most are RFA (Grant Williams, Jerami Grant, PJ Washington, Brandon Clarke, Maxi Kleber, resigning Barnes potentially). Same with the guards: Dort is a nice UFA piece but the rest of the guards are players teams aren't going to let go. I suppose if you gave Dort and Grant Williams nice contracts, but I also think Boston views Grant Williams as their long-term Horford replacement. You'd probably have to go at least 13 mil to get them to think to not match.

So you're just risking you can pry away one of these quality RFA pieces.
I think if the Kings get to where they want to be next season, which again, is doable without this rookie, I mean, they are talking play in here, then Sabonis probably stays. If Sabonis is all that then getting to that spot he wants to be in is on HIM. I brought up some of the reasons I'd be sketched on Brogdon as a fit and his cost/value next to Fox. Brogdon to me is a little similar to Bogdan in terms of fit. As for the cap space, at this point I think the safest bet is to look at it as the escape plan to a quick rebuild in a worst case. And if you're winning pulling off a Barnes dump style trade is possible too. Before the Kings make any major moves, see what things look like at the deadline. Vlades problem was putting that apple cart before the horse every time. The one time he waited with space in hand he got the 3rd best player on this team currently for basically free.

Fox/Domas only had a short time together and they had promise but were never in the real hunt so even though a small sample size that does matter. Also this supposed Sabonis time bomb isn't going off anytime soon. They have time to evaluate before anything major goes down and in the end, money talks. Sabonis has made some decent money but is he turning down max money? Not that he's necessarily worth max money perhaps. Going all in before you even know what you have is a mistake to me. Acquire your assets and don't shoot for the middle. The Kings if they stay the course might not land in the middle of the ladder, but could hit right near the top if they play it right. Fox/Sabonis/4th pick/Davion/Barnes is a great place to be heading into period where within that structure you can head whatever direction the waves take you and not be in a bad spot.

Just read an article by David Aldridge in the Athletic

Talks to unnamed Executives and coaches who give their evaluations on the drafts guards.
I mean, after reading this and seeing some say he’s a version of Westbrook but possible smarter/better…..well, now I’m rethinking this. Most say the Ja comparison is dumb. He’s not that. He could be closer to Dwayne Wade. They really love that he’s not a 6’0” guy but a 6’4” physical guy who will absolutely own the paint in the NBA and live at the FT line

And these evaluations are by more than 1 guy. So here’s the deal…….maybe we do take him and see what happens and figure it out later……OR, one of these teams not too far down are going to offer up a quality starting difference maker AND their first rounder.

Let the Ivey hype just run rampant

Talks to unnamed Executives and coaches who give their evaluations on the drafts guards.
I mean, after reading this and seeing some say he’s a version of Westbrook but possible smarter/better…..well, now I’m rethinking this. Most say the Ja comparison is dumb. He’s not that. He could be closer to Dwayne Wade. They really love that he’s not a 6’0” guy but a 6’4” physical guy who will absolutely own the paint in the NBA and live at the FT line

And these evaluations are by more than 1 guy. So here’s the deal…….maybe we do take him and see what happens and figure it out later……OR, one of these teams not too far down are going to offer up a quality starting difference maker AND their first rounder.

And he's got upside, if he develops the PG skills and the shooting comes along then he's a game changer. If this busts, Davion/Ivey is a GREAT starting point. If Ivey lives up to his potential Fox/Ivey/Barnes/Davion/Sabonis is a core of talent that can match up with just about any team talent wise and no team is going to match up with speed wise in the backcourt.

And to continue on about the guards from these executives

Sharpe. They have nothing to go on but YouTube vids. The belief is that teams like the Spurs who are on the same page as far as owner, GM, Coaches, trainers, etc can take a swing on him. Teams like that. Teams like the Kings? No damn way they take that swing

Dyson. A couple said that eventually he may be the guy when they redraft in like 3 years, everyone is saying they should have taken him.

Benn…….. they like him but might not love him. A type of version of Ray Allen but not as good.

And he's got upside, if he develops the PG skills and the shooting comes along then he's a game changer. If this busts, Davion/Ivey is a GREAT starting point. If Ivey lives up to his potential Fox/Ivey/Barnes/Davion/Sabonis is a core of talent that can match up with just about any team talent wise and no team is going to match up with speed wise in the backcourt.
Monte and staff would have to be convinced he’s a Dwayne Wade type.

Been saying BPA for a longgggg minute. It’s always better to go for a guy that could be a top 10 player then Fit no matter what. You need a superstar before you start thinking about fit. We know the league is pretty rigged by the referees. Talent gets us the TV time AND the calls

about to read it

Ivey has deep range, can play off ball, and will be a pick-and-roll nightmare. He will get into the paint. If Fox is playing 30 minutes a night, that’s 18 minutes Ivey can be on ball as a rookie. And talk about a crazy 3-guard line up with Davion. Sabonis can make this work as an offensive hub and great screen setter.

I Like Keegan Murray a lot. I’d take him at 4 if Ivey were not in the draft this year. But Ivey is. And I just don’t know how you pass on that dude, unless someone coughs up significant compensation. I expect OKC to take him at 2.

Ivey has deep range, can play off ball, and will be a pick-and-roll nightmare. He will get into the paint. If Fox is playing 30 minutes a night, that’s 18 minutes Ivey can be on ball as a rookie. And talk about a crazy 3-guard line up with Davion. Sabonis can make this work as an offensive hub and great screen setter.

I Like Keegan Murray a lot. I’d take him at 4 if Ivey were not in the draft this year. But Ivey is. And I just don’t know how you pass on that dude, unless someone coughs up significant compensation. I expect OKC to take him at 2.
Good, that means the Kings get one of Smith Jr., Holmgren, or Banchero. This draft went from nightmare scenarios prior to the trade deadline to duh level at the lottery, lol.

Let’s hope you are right or you are betting on Davion guarding 3 again and we all saw how well that went.

Fox/Ivey/Barnes/Davion/Sabonis

Is a core that will get abused an defense and lacks length at almost every spot.

The only good thing about that core is we might have a shot at Victor.

Is a core that will get abused an defense and lacks length at almost every spot.

it doesn’t matter if we don’t have wings or length. We need to find a superstar first no matter what. No superstar will come here unless traded for and we don’t have the talent to do that either.

I don't think Davion is a starter on that squad and his benefit would be being the best 6th man the Kings have had since BoJax. You can easily run a 3 guard rotation with Ivey/Fox getting 30 plus minutes and Davion getting near 30's as a 6th man. Fox/Ivey/SF/Barnes/Sabonis is plenty of versatility. In the interim you can run Holiday at SF with goals to eventually find a legit long term starter. Maybe even throw a MLE contract at someone like Warren, or wait until next summer. Maybe they can find a starter through Holmes.

Don’t count on me being right (I don’t). And that wouldn’t be a starting lineup. But the Kings good do some zone stuff and ball pressure that could offset the length issues. Mike Brown knows how to coach defense.

Don’t count on me being right (I don’t). And that wouldn’t be a starting lineup. But the Kings good do some zone stuff and ball pressure that could offset the length issues. Mike Brown knows how to coach defense.
Yeah, and I think that's a squad that you can reliably switch with into ball pressure. The feet are the key here. If you don't have that speed these days you're in trouble on switches down. I remember having conversations last draft about Cade Cunningham who was one of the best college defenders in the draft and thinking, the feet aren't there for modern NBA defense. They aren't, and it's going to be an issue for him in a modern scheme that relies on man to man into switching man to man. Scottie Barnes while not as polished as a defender with some of the same issues as Ivey has a much higher upside defensively.

it doesn’t matter if we don’t have wings or length. We need to find a superstar first no matter what. No superstar will come here unless traded for and we don’t have the talent to do that either.
The point of contention for me anyway is Ivey has a significant amount of warts that he has to pass through to get to that star status. I think he's a super volatile prospect; his highs are amazing and his lows are incredibly worrisome. And as a lot have said before; I think he's pretty clearly in one of the weakest "top guard" prospects that we've had in the last few years especially.

The point of contention for me anyway is Ivey has a significant amount of warts that he has to pass through to get to that star status. I think he's a super volatile prospect; his highs are amazing and his lows are incredibly worrisome. And as a lot have said before; I think he's pretty clearly in one of the weakest "top guard" prospects that we've had in the last few years especially.
that doesn’t make fit a better idea regardless. Always swing for the fences with a top pick

That's kind of everybody in this draft though. There aren't any perfect players and yes, Ivey has probably the biggest boom or bust (I don't think he's hitting his floor, he's proven too much already) potential but when you have a chance to get this kind of upside while having a combo like Fox/Sabonis already here, shoot for the moon. Murray has his warts too, and they could be the same issues as with Cade. I've been watching more and more defensive possessions and in the NBA you can't use gaps and space as a way to catch up to offensive players. And at his size, against legit NBA wings/F's can he muscle them when they stop his drives? I think his shot as a stretch 4 will be fine regardless and that fadeaway is nice, but these are serious questions.

You can't run this much zone, although for sure, his length and awareness would upgrade the Kings version of this from day 1.

You interpret anything differently?
nope you were spot on. Def made me want Ivey more lol. But they were clear he’s not Ja, but that’s not a bad thing either
Honestly I’m good with any of those top 4 overall guys and even Murray. I just want them to get the best possible value and not short change themselves for a short sighted win modestly now deal because the owner is a moron

that doesn’t make fit a better idea regardless. Always swing for the fences with a top pick
Who said anything about fit? I think Keegan is better and he plays a premium NBA position. And while you don't draft for fit, you also don't throw it out the window either. Keegan plugs in perfectly with the established core. Ivey creates a lot of the same problems as last year with Hali. A creative coach can make it work, but 85-90% of the time, one of Fox/Mitchell/Ivey is going to be on the block within a few years. Which is the problem when your 3 best players can't play together full-time or even part-time out of gimmicky type LU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.