[Game] Kings @ Phoenix Suns, 1/16/2024,6:00 PST/9:00p EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
A trade doesn’t fix this loss though. We literally threw this away and it was mostly Monk and Fox’s fault. Part of what makes Fox great in clutch situations is he plays loose and doesn’t get stressed. The downside is he isn’t as dialed in as we needed in situations like tonight. Same goes for Monk at the line in Milwaukee. The wake up call needs to be finish your game and stay locked in. This is where a lack of vocal leadership hurts us.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm assuming Coach Brown won't do this again and cost himself another $50,000 but these two calls are the difference in the game:

NOT A FOUL (contact on the arm and below the waist)
NotaFoul.jpg

FOUL (contact on the arm and below the waist)
Foul.jpg

There is no defensible way to call the second play a foul after not calling the first play a foul. Either both of them are fouls or neither of them are.

I'm assuming Coach Brown won't do this again and cost himself another $50,000 but these two calls are the difference in the game:

View attachment 12342

View attachment 12343

There is no defensible way to call the second play a foul after not calling the first play a foul. Either both of them are fouls or neither of them are.
Yeah. Honestly even if we pulled this one out or even the Milwaukee game, it’s hard to like our chances in the playoffs when we get so clearly shafted like this because the names on the jersey aren’t as “sexy”. You’d think the league would owe us one after cheating us over 20 years ago lol instead we get it even worse now on a nightly basis. Whatever

That win against Toronto the other day is what bred a night like this one. When you get away with bad habits and bad "behavior", you start thinking you're immune to consequences. One would think they'll learn their lesson after a variety of different L's this month, but i'm just not sure right now.

I love Fox and Monk but they handed this game away.

They stopped playing the type of basketball that got them a huge lead and the two of them decided to play hero ball the last 6 minutes in between turning the ball over.

We didn’t need a “3rd star” or another player to take over. We needed them to take care of the the ball and play our offense and we get the W.

Quite literally the biggest choke job I've ever seen.

This team has serious issues. People may not want to admit it, but unless there are serious changes, we are absolutely heading for another first round exit. And I doubt we take it to 7 games.
Of course, the width, length, and depth of those "serious changes" is the crux of any proposals. First, the "serious issues" must be clearly defined and their causes identified. Then the remedies should be enacted...regardless of current perceptions.

Contrary to some opinions, the current King's players constitute a very talented core as demonstrated in the first three quarters of the recent game. Several posters here have been critical of the lack of the team's leadership. Where does leadership originate? Hmmmm.

View attachment 12342

View attachment 12343

We deserved to lose, but once again. So frustrating we are just fighting 8on5 most nights

Exactly, despite how great FOX is, i am so tired of him being so inconsistent at the line. It's always missed a free throw and then making the next or making one and missing the next....like why can't he be consistent?
Just going to toss my two cents in and say I get so GD mad when not just Fox but all of them miss their FT. I mean those shots should be gravy shots easy points to grab. I mean why work to get to the FT (which it’s hard enough to even get the foul called) it’s truly frustrating AF to finally get to the line and either they miss one for two or actually miss them both. But I have been grumbling about their lack of FT all season.

View attachment 12342

View attachment 12343

Why is KD on Fox is the question I have? And why would you want to attack KD when you have Gordon and smaller player that couldn't guard? I question the intelligence of Fox. Some other player like Barnes attacking KD like what are you doing? Are you stupid? You're not giving the team the best chance to win. I understand it's a habit to attack the center of the other team because they're slow....but this is KD here. He could have picked out Gordon and make things easier. But going against a lengthy defender like KD is just a dumb idea. It's a waste of possession and the Kings chance. Do you see KD seek out Murray and attack him? No...he would seek out shorter guys like Fox and Barnes. Sure the Sun's struggle in the beginning but at least they play smart. Kings play dumb. And coach Brown is responsible for correcting it.

Also, Harrison Barnes is cooked. He has been a solid player for us over the last few years but he needs to be replaced. He offers practically nothing when his shot isn't falling, which is most of the time now.
Agreed. What really peeved me off was with 1 minute left HB just stood there and watched a gettable rebound go straight to the Suns player. Literally, he didn't even bother to take a step or two towards the ball coming off the rim, when he was right there next to the Suns player. Unbelievable! Show some hustle and heart HB!

That win against Toronto the other day is what bred a night like this one. When you get away with bad habits and bad "behavior", you start thinking you're immune to consequences. One would think they'll learn their lesson after a variety of different L's this month, but i'm just not sure right now.
At what point does Carmichael Dave organize a mass protest with an RV and portable screens set up in front of the league office replaying these discrepancies?

Quite literally the biggest choke job I've ever seen.

This team has serious issues. People may not want to admit it, but unless there are serious changes, we are absolutely heading for another first round exit. And I doubt we take it to 7 games.
We have the most fragile leads I've ever seen in this game. Teams don't fear being down by 20+ points to us because it's very easy to come back because we get rattled so easily and stop playing our game. How the coaches have allowed this into the psyche of the players is beyond me.

I ask again... is this just the cost of doing business by giving all our players the perpetual green light? Have we made them mentally soft???

A trade doesn’t fix this loss though. We literally threw this away and it was mostly Monk and Fox’s fault. Part of what makes Fox great in clutch situations is he plays loose and doesn’t get stressed. The downside is he isn’t as dialed in as we needed in situations like tonight. Same goes for Monk at the line in Milwaukee. The wake up call needs to be finish your game and stay locked in. This is where a lack of vocal leadership hurts us.
I agree that a trade doesn't fix this but disagree on the reasons. A trade doesn't fix this because this type of repeated behavior is on the coaches. There is something seriously wrong with the coaching staff and the management of the players' psyches that this is allowed to happen. Getting new players doesn't fix mental problems created by whatever is happening "upstairs".

Last edited:
Well I don’t really feel like being upset with this loss anymore, it’s already been plenty draining. On the positive side of things, the last two games were classic Kings basketball as far as making shots, moving the ball and for most of the game playing stellar defense believe it or not. KVon has returned to form it seems which is great. Sasha had his best performance of the year. Keegan did really well against Booker. At some point in the next month or two we need to rip off 5 wins in a row to make up for this. We are due for a streak in the right direction.

We are a good team folks, flaws and all.

1) Permiter defense still bad since 2000, the amount of times we leave open shooters at the 3pt line is aggravating, been going on for 25 years. Hopefully Monte gets players to resolve that

2) Shot 58% from FT. It stings now but you know it will happen in a big game in Play In or Playoffs and it will feel much worse. I am surprised PHX didnt foul towards the end to get us on the line

3) Trade wont fix what happened last night. I blame coaches and Sabonis/Fox on this one, should of never got to this. We have mental toughness issues apparently.

Agreed. What really peeved me off was with 1 minute left HB just stood there and watched a gettable rebound go straight to the Suns player. Literally, he didn't even bother to take a step or two towards the ball coming off the rim, when he was right there next to the Suns player. Unbelievable! Show some hustle and heart HB!
I like Harrison, but he has shown a notable lack of hustle this season in closing out shooters and going for rebounds. In close games, details matter. In blowouts, leadership matters. Where is the leadership?

gunks

Hall of Famer
That drove me nuts. Totally emblematic of his play this season.

That said, I'm blaming the L on Monk. He was channeling his inner Buddy Hield this game.

Actually, we gave up a 22pt lead in the 4th (first time that happened since the bubble, apparently), I'm blaming everybody.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
F-ing infuriating game. It was the Fox-Monk "show" with the ball continually "sticking" in their hands. Total BS. You get a lead one way - by passing quickly and making decisions quickly - and then go down the tubes by doing the EXACT OPPOSITE. I'm totally PO'd by this game. I blame Brown, Monk, Fox, and to lesser degree Sabonis. It's total dumbass basketball. Trust your teamates. Pass the ball quickly. Move when you don't have the ball. It's not complicated. You don't need a PhD in physics to understand it.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We have the most fragile leads I've ever seen in this game. Teams don't fear being down by 20+ points to us because it's very easy to come back because we get rattled so easily and stop playing our game. How the coaches have allowed this into the psyche of the players is beyond me.

I ask again... is this just the cost of doing business by giving all our players the perpetual green light? Have we made them mentally soft???
It's the cost of deferring to Fox because he's an All Star and to Monk because he's 6th Man of the Year material and not having the cojones to stop them from doing the hero ball "show" BS. As Murray said, it's their "show" in the 4th quarter with a lead. So they win against mediocrity playing the "I'm so great" hero ball, and then go down in flames against better teams. It's EGO - being "the man," padding the stat sheet, wanting the glory, some or all of the above. Whatever it is, it's not team oriented. And it is incredibly stupid. Unfortunately, they get away with this crap just often enough that they think they can keep doing it.

It's the cost of deferring to Fox because he's an All Star and to Monk because he's 6th Man of the Year material and not having the cojones to stop them from doing the hero ball "show" BS. As Murray said, it's their "show" in the 4th quarter with a lead. So they win against mediocrity playing the "I'm so great" hero ball, and then go down in flames against better teams. It's EGO - being "the man," padding the stat sheet, wanting the glory, some or all of the above. Whatever it is, it's not team oriented. And it is incredibly stupid. Unfortunately, they get away with this crap just often enough that they think they can keep doing it.
Did Murray actually say "it's their show" after this game?

He does that a lot. Sometimes HB doesn’t even challenge shots at all and i don’t understand why coaches aren’t cursing him out like they would any other young player. He can just coast all season? Get him outta here

Status
Not open for further replies.