Kings open on the road...again (09-10 schedule)

Yuck. That's a nasty trip to begin the year for sure.

Nasty trends: 6-game road trip in Jan, 6 out of 7 on the road in 2 week stretch in Feb and a 5-gamer at the end of March.

Date to remember: New Year's Day @ Lakers and final game of the year @ Lakers.

What is that.. 6 years in a row opening on the road? :mad:

I think our last home opener was Lebron's rookie year.

09-10 Schedule

I just love how we always have multi-game road trips to start and end the season. This upcoming year we have a 3 game trip to start and a 5 game trip to end. ((Annoying)) Looks like 19 back-to-backs as well. That is probably about average. I remember a few years we had something like 22.

Also, no national TV games once again. :mad:

Here the link if you haven't seen it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/schedule?team=sac

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

yep, i think you are right.... but the opening schedule doesnt look that bad. we could win a few of those games. by the end of november we could have like 6 or 7 wins..... we play the thunder, grizzlies, rockets and hornets twice in november..... if we spilt wins with those teams then beat the warriors and knicks we would have 6 wins.... not a bad start for a team that only won 17 games last season.

Yes to both of those:

Six straight years of opening with at least 2 or more games on the road

7 out of last 10 with opening on the road at all.

Entity

Hall of Famer
well I have seen worse. that month of November and 3 games in oct. is not all that power packed. Memphis twice, OKC twice, Houston, New Jersey and New York. Got 2 vs. New orleans and 1 each against Atlanta, San Antonio then Utah and Dallas.

best case 9-7
worst case 3-13
likely 6-10
hopefully 11-5

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Man, its been like 10 years since we started the year at home.
Actually, this will be only the sixth year in a row that we've started on the road. 5 of the 6 were 3-game trips, last year was a 4-game trip.

The last time we opened the season at home was LeBron James' first NBA game.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We get 2 games against each Eastern Conference team this year. The only "unbalanced" teams are NO and Utah (two on the road, one at Arco) and Memphis and Denver (two at Arco, one on the road.

We play four games against the Clippers, but the first is February 20th.

I'm sick of Grant on the radio saying "every team plays 41 at home, 41 on the road, so it doesn't matter".

Well, guess what: the NBA is a sport where you are in three categories early on:

- those who are clearly going to make the playoffs
- those who are still in the middle and can either make or miss the playoffs
- those who are going to the lottery

And I would say that much is decided by the all star break too. The Kings knew early on last season that they were going to be in the lottery.

My point is, scheduling can have a big impact on how the season starts off, and thus the general climate around the season. A first half of a season that favors a team with a lot of home games and few long road trips can have a totally different effect than starting off against tough teams on the road. So the 41-41 argument is total crap.

Unless you are the Lakers or the mighty Clip. ;)
Yeah, that aside...

The start of the season can have a big impact on the rest of the season. It's easier for a team to get on a roll and keep it than to try to start a run in the middle of a mediocre season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looks like anyone who has to put up with Laker fans is in for a tough holiday period. Dec. 26, Jan. 1 AND the last game of the season? That has buzz kill written all over it.

For those upset about or a bit disappointed over our lack of National TV games.

Saw a article on ESPN, and the Rockets got officially ZERO national games this year. None.

Sad to be a Rockets fan.

K

Kingsguy881

Looks like anyone who has to put up with Laker fans is in for a tough holiday period. Dec. 26, Jan. 1 AND the last game of the season? That has buzz kill written all over it.
Not unless we are doing some spoiling! Come on VF, where's the optimism? I can just see it now, we spoil the Lakers from getting the top seed over San Antonio and the easy(er) first round matchup of Phoenix while the LaLa fools have to take on NO and their revamped roster.

A

AriesMar27

crazy part is that we get them on the 2nd game of a back to back, they play the the cavs on christmas.... so lets hope that lebron gives them a run for their money and goes to triple overtime.... :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not unless we are doing some spoiling! Come on VF, where's the optimism? I can just see it now, we spoil the Lakers from getting the top seed over San Antonio and the easy(er) first round matchup of Phoenix while the LaLa fools have to take on NO and their revamped roster.
There's a big difference between optimism and delusion. If I predicted the things you're mentioning, I know I'd be called delusional. Perhaps I should have modified my comment to "THE POTENTIAL for buzz kill" but anyone, even the most devout Kings fan, who doesn't see the possible bad outcome is just guilty of HITS syndrome, something I've actually been accused of before.

;)

Last edited:
The start may be on the road, but that November schedule looks rather easy. If the team doesn't get through November with at least .500 then things are going to get hilariously bad in the end of December/Jan. That is when the full fledged season ending tailspin will begin.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Yeah, but in November in home-away the Kings do 9-4!! Gives them good chance to get some wins earliy on.

Then last 5 of 6 in April are also at home........giving an advantage to the Kings just in case they have a chance......ahh, no.....ummm......well...........nah but we can hope. :D

A

AriesMar27

the first week of march looks okay... okc twice, dallas and houston. we could go 3-1 if the thunder suck and mcgrady isnt back in houston. lots of ifs.... but hey. i doubt we will win any of the games in april.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I just love how we always have multi-game road trips to start and end the season. This upcoming year we have a 3 game trip to start and a 5 game trip to end.
Ahhh, beg to differ. 5 of the last 6 games in April are at home (Blazers/Spurs/Clips/Mavs/Rockets) with the season finale at the Lakers. Considering, I kinda like that.