[Game] Kings @ OKC Thunder- 4/9/2024 - 5:00PM PDT/8:00PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Waste of an excellent overall game by Ellis. The Kings did not win and will not win anything of import in the future unless they can somehow someway address the free throw disparity. Fox doesn't get calls on drives. Murray shoots fallaway jumpers in the key rather than go through players to the basket. Barnes just isn't good enough to consistently attack and get fouls. There's no way in hell the Kings can ever win major playoff series unless they address this issue. Otherwise, you can just put, "Three point or Die" on their epitaph.
To be fair, Barnes did get himself to the line a lot in this game.

At least in this game, it's hard to go inside and attack when Sabonis is having an off night. This was a time to draw up plays to get Barnes good looks inside, for example, once the lead got up.

The bigger issue is how not having Sabonis engaged impacted this game missing both Monk and Huerter. The threes have to come from somewhere. 57 is absurd, though. Absolutely absurd.

Moving forward, if this team is to have any chance, players are going to have to step up in a way they may not have been ready for. I've seen Len, Lyles, Mitchell and Ellis have shown it. We really need the Black Falcon to rise in a bad way. Ditto Murray, who has been kinda quiet, and Sabonis is going to have to put up more points as well.
Sabonis was passing up shots and pump faking himself into hell. A 7ft skeleton is grading him. He needs to go thru him. He was constantly trying to go over the top

Refs are trash AND we shoot waaaay too many 3s
I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again like a broken record.

When the KINGS lose it almost always comes down to poor 3 point shooting and free throw disparity. Sometimes both.

Turnovers aren’t typically an issue, nor is defense despite popular opinion.

34.5% tonight. On a whopping 58 attempts. That’s just way too many. And exactly how a 20-point lead disappears as quickly as it does with this team when they stop going in. IMO it’s just lazy, lazy offense. Far too much settling.

The free throw disparity wasn’t as terrible as it often is, but they still were outshot there. 20 FTA from a guard like SGA is a complete joke compared to someone like Domas who takes 2-3x the contact every single game.

why take threes when you are going to lead the league in free throw attempts. No fans want to watch that unless you are in Okc. This is entertainment and that ain’t it.
If you look at playoff basketball and meaningful games down the stretch, the style of play that works at a higher % is what Alexander does......consistently taking it to the defense and not settling. Otherwise you're just a live or die by the 3 team

At no point did FTA look like the better player over Fox this game. It’s so painful to watch OKC games. He travels, shoves Davion to make space, then hits the shot that sealed it. So irritating.

I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again like a broken record.

When the KINGS lose it almost always comes down to poor 3 point shooting and free throw disparity. Sometimes both.

Turnovers aren’t typically an issue, nor is defense despite popular opinion.

34.5% tonight. On a whopping 58 attempts. That’s just way too many. And exactly how a 20-point lead disappears as quickly as it does with this team when they stop going in. IMO it’s just lazy, lazy offense. Far too much settling.

The free throw disparity wasn’t as terrible as it often is, but they still were outshot there. 20 FTA from a guard like SGA is a complete joke compared to someone like Domas who takes 2-3x the contact every single game.
And there were some BAAAD calls in this one. Bad. Getting those calls does not mean rings, but yes, they were bad.

Just to ease everyone’s pain for a second, are you seeing the Clippers/Suns score? 37-8
Hahaha I just finished watching our game and was going to post that but wanted to wait till we were done and just saying GSW is up on LAL

Ok boys come on home G1C will be loud ;bells will be ringing; and the loudest fans will be roaring

When we lost monk and huerter we no longer become an amazing 3pt team. Now we are a good 3pt team with the scheme of a great 3 pt team. Coaching needs to adjust to what we have instead of what we where. And somebody needs to tell Fox he's closer to westbrook than Stephen curry. I don't care what he shot today. Averages tell you he should never take 17 3pts

Last edited:
Fox shot 7-17 (41% for 1.2 points per shot) on threes and 5-12 (41% for 0.8 points per shot) on twos getting hacked with no calls. And people wonder why he takes more threes? If Fox is getting that SGA whistle, I'll ask him to drive on every possession.

Three point shots are an inevitable counter weapon when you are playing 5-on-8.

When we lost monk and huerter we no longer become an amazing 3pt team. Now we are a good 3pt team with the scheme of a great 3 pt team. Coaching needs to adjust to what we have instead of what we where. And somebody needs to tell Fox he's closer to russle Willson than Stephen curry. I don't care what he shot today. Averages tell you he should never take 17 3pts
Neither one of those guys had been particularly good from 3 this year. We have been a fairly average team percentage wise, part of that due to high volume.

we had a 45-22 percent advantage from 3 at half time, ended up shooting 34 percent to their 36. Crazy

When we lost monk and huerter we no longer become an amazing 3pt team. Now we are a good 3pt team with the scheme of a great 3 pt team. Coaching needs to adjust to what we have instead of what we where. And somebody needs to tell Fox he's closer to russle Willson than Stephen curry. I don't care what he shot today. Averages tell you he should never take 17 3pts
This might be the best thing for the Kings FO if they are paying attention. The Kings have gone from like 28th in defense to 1st as a result of those injuries. The issue is talent and the 10 game results have stayed basically the same. No doubt. No question. You need another alpha, period.

What an awful loss. My concerns of Domas as a long term piece to a contender continues to increase.
Awful loss, yes. But what are your reasons for concern wrt Domas? He had a subpar game. But after a long, long streak of double-doubles and 26 triple doubles this season — isn’t the guy allowed the occasional poor performance?

On the whole, he’s one of the main reasons the KINGS have 45 wins a super deep Western Conference.

Fox shot 7-17 (41% for 1.2 points per shot) on threes and 4-12 (33% for 0.6 points per shot) on twos getting hacked with no calls. And people wonder why he takes more threes?

Three point shots are an inevitable counter weapon when you are playing 5-on-8.
He drove to the basket on less than half of those 12 shots. So 6 shots and the rim and he got 4 it's. I'm not making excuses for Fox. He don't get calls I get it. But he also doing himself no favors. I've also seen him get away with some hacks too for steals. He got to attack more because that's his strength, not bail out the other team with 3s

Awful loss, yes. But what are your reasons for concern wrt Domas? He had a subpar game. But after a long, long streak of double-doubles and 26 triple doubles this season — isn’t the guy allowed the occasional poor performance?

On the whole, he’s one of the main reasons the KINGS have 45 wins a super deep Western Conference.
As soon as Monte looks at Domas as his CP3 the better. Domas needs weapons. If he has them, it might be banners.

If you look at playoff basketball and meaningful games down the stretch, the style of play that works at a higher % is what Alexander does......consistently taking it to the defense and not settling. Otherwise you're just a live or die by the 3 team
im hoping what he he does, does not work in the playoffs. “Let them play” as they say. It’s my least favorite part of nba basketball so I’m incredibly biased. Just can’t stand watching SGA and other “foul merchants”

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Also Fox doesn't ger foul cause because he doesn't go through contact. He's so skilled he simply goes around it most the time. He's not gonna get SGA calls because for one he doesn't attack consistently and two he's more crafty
Like a kyrie Irving compared to a harden
This reflects what I've seen this year too. His go-to move in the paint has been either a 10 foot floater over the defense or to quickly throw the ball off the back board before the shot blocker can get to it. It's a neat trick but it's also impacted his overall FG% in a negative way. The NBA has been pretty consistent about one thing -- if a player goes in hard and gets bumped off their line, it's typically a shooting foul. Fox adapting to avoid contact makes him a craftier player but it's also meant he doesn't get the benefit even when there is contact because he's usually fading away from it.

I hate that this is how things are -- becoming a more skilled player and actually making your shots means you get rewarded with FTs less often than a lesser skilled player who just brute forces their way to the basket and jumps into contact -- but since we all know that this is the way things are, why not take advantage of it?

So yes, I can understand some of the criticism of Fox's shot selection and overall approach this season, but only to a point. Because if he were on the Lakers or Celtics he'd be getting those same 8-10 FT attempts as every other star guard in the league and we all know it. As Sacramento fans we should at least be aware of the Sacramento tax and not hold our best players responsible for it.

Last edited:
Kings have 21 offensive rebounds but feels like they had very few second chance points. Just like them with the fast break where more often than not they’ll do the wrong thing. This team just can’t execute

Turnovers

Also, if you’re going to shoot 28 more threes than your opponent you should probably make better than 9 more threes.

Fitting night for Domas double double streak to end. That was the worst game of the season. He just flat out didn’t belong on the floor tonight at any point. Brown knew it too with the quick third quarter hook but lost his nerve after a couple of minutes.

Really no reason for it either. They didn’t pressure him or show him different looks in any special way…. and they don’t have the size and strength to bother him if he’s not tripping over his own feet. He just played like trash.

He actually isn’t playing very well as of late. This one was especially bad but I haven’t liked his performance in a lot of recent games. Dallas was another team that normally doesn’t matchup well with Domas(even with the new additions) but he played poorly in those games. Hopefully this isn’t an April thing instead of specific matchups. I guess we’ll see on this homestand and our eventual well earned appearance in the play in tournament.

I think he’s missing Monk and Huerter especially.

I have been very reluctant to press the coach button in my grievances considering the Kings history with coaches. I’ll usually always look at the talent first and Brown is good but I’m starting to build up a lot of questions. Especially when it comes to second half preparation. Kings are habitually unprepared to play third quarters. Especially with a lead and woefully bad at making adjustments. As in they don’t make them at all.

Fox could’ve taken better shots at the end but his turnovers were the killer. I don’t mind him jacking up the threes. I just hope he can become efficient in the mid range again. He shoots the three at a good clip for his volume. Unfortunately is been couple with a massive drop in his midrange efficiency when it was supposed to be the thing that made him unguardable.

Keon was excellent. Not worried about stepping on any toes. Letting it fly. He’s a really good catch and shoot three point shooter. Thats a shot Kings need to give him a lot. Especially while teams still think he’s the guy to leave open.

Just a frustrating group this season

Status
Not open for further replies.