Kings notes: Adelman keeps fingers crossed

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11220224p-12135955c.html

Kings notes: Adelman keeps his fingers crossed

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Kings coach Rick Adelman is hopeful guard Doug Christie and center Greg Ostertag won't be on the injured list to begin the season.

Adelman said he probably won't know for sure until the end of this week, when the team concludes its eight-game preseason Thursday at Dallas and Friday against visiting Phoenix. The regular season begins next Tuesday at Dallas.

Christie, who is rehabilitating following a shock-wave treatment for inflamed tissue in his left foot, was able to shoot with the team Monday, Adelman said.

"Right now, you're just hoping that you don't have to put them on the injured list because then they'd have to miss five games," Adelman said of Christie and Ostertag, who has a broken right hand. "It looks as though they could be ready to go before the fifth game, but I don't think we'll know that until the end of the week. The biggest thing with Greg will be, he'll have to be careful catching the ball."

Attention to defense - Monday afternoon's agenda included a film session on things needing work.

"We had a good practice, and then after we looked at film, we worked on defensive things we need to get right," Adelman said. "We talked about our transition defense and a lack of communication. A lot of that is because we're playing so many young guys, and we really haven't worked on it a lot at this point.

"But I thought our concentration was good."

Ugly numbers - Certainly, the preseason doesn't mean a lot to a team such as the Kings, who have a veteran core that has enjoyed much success in recent seasons.

But Sacramento, perennially one of the league's highest-scoring and top-shooting teams, is ranked near the bottom of the league in preseason scoring at 86 points per game. The Kings' field-goal accuracy, 38.2 percent, is tied for second-worst with Atlanta. Only Chicago, at 37.7 percent coming into Monday, is lower

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You know, I'm starting to get a little concerned about the focus on rushing those guys back for the start of the season. Now we have a brutal start, and all hands onboard would be great. But it would be really stupid to throw Tag out there before the break is fully healed and have him rebreak it. Or interrupt the healing process on Doug's foot and have him haveto start all over again. Its a long, long season. Even if we start 1-5 there's plenty of time to recover as long as we don't have lingering injuries (admittedly the panic and fingerpointing around Sacto might get out of control if we started 1-5, but still -- Big Picture please!).

I agree about not rushing them back and risking exacerbating the injuries.

And furthermore, frankly it might not be a terrible thing for the kings to start the season bad. Then the whole league can write them off/ignore them. And the Kings can quitly do their thing from then on out. The Kings, like most teams, perform better when they are being dissed a little. They are hungrier. They are able to frame their world as "us against them" rather than "us against each other".

HOWEVER --- a win in Nov DOES still matter as much as a win in march in the final standings (home field would be nice). and there always IS the possibility that a few losses might lead to division (and squabling/finger pointing) rather than uniting int "us vs them. But, all-in-all I'd say a nice middle of the road, but geting better as the season progresses, type of season could be just what the MD ordered.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
"The biggest thing with Greg will be, he'll have to be careful catching the ball."
Simple solution, don't pass him the ball... it's not like we were counting on Gregs brilliant offense. Ok seriously I hope Rick listnes carefully to the Doc's on this one and does not ply these guys unill they are sure their injuries are compleetly heald. That being said we definatly need Doug back if we hope to do better than 3-3, and that is being generous. Tag, will be nice to have but the guys are used to palying with out him, and Webb can fill in at the 5 with Darious at the 4 if we need ahigh octain offense. If we have a lead why not bring in Prada for to spell Miller for short streches.

Not too worry about Greg either way: if he comes back too soon, oh well, we'll be a little small without him for a few more games. I mean, I'd rather have him than not, but it's not the end of our universe. So we might as well wait until he's totally healed and can play at 100%, because we'll survive without him.

Now, Doug, on the other hand, is an essential part of our team. Over the past three years, we've consistently played better with Doug contributing than we have without him. He's a catalyst for us on both ends of the floor. We'll miss him if he starts the season on the IR, but with plantar fasciitis, you have to give it time. That's the only way it will heal. So I'd rather have him heal completely and get back and play hard and contribute - even if it's two weeks into the season - than have him come back a second too early and wind up missing two more weeks anyways.

Cliff notes:
Greg we can live without. Make a decision.
Doug we need. Make a decision and then push it back a week. He's too important to us to risk it.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Right now we cannot live without OTag. He is #2 behind Miller when playing other legit centers and is a better shot blocker and defender than Miller against driving guards. Using CWebb as a 5 can be dangerous if done for more than a few minutes. Down under it a tough place to be when you're not 100% in your lateral movements and jumping. At least it's OTags left hand.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree wholeheartedly about not rushing Tag and Christie back into the scene too early.

As far as 1-5 causing "issues," that's probably true. A certain reporter would go nuts and some of the fans would be demanding heads to roll, etc. Pretty much the same thing that happens any time the Kings don't win EVERY game.

If the Kings, playing short-handed and with rookies, lose a couple of early games, I'm not gonna slit my wrists over it. I would be MUCH MORE concerned if, once Tag and Doug are back, we lost games because of a lack of focus, etc.

We are NOT going to win every game. Some will be lost. I'm not writing any games off ahead of time, but we are going to lose some.

On the other hand, I think the Kings might just surprise us. If the Texas teams are thinking they'll have an easy chance, they might be the ones disappointed after the first week of play.

:D

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
We are NOT going to win every game. Some will be lost. I'm not writing any games off ahead of time, but we are going to lose some.

That is a very negative attitude;)

I do not see any reason why we should lose any games. Winning is much more fun.

piksi said:

I've heard a couple of prognosticators say the Kings will go 47-35. I think is a worst case type of prediction, and they have the right to do so...but I think that we should win 52-55 games actually...but if we stay healthy, we could win over 60.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi said:

Nah. If we go 41-0 at the beginning, it's gonna be really tough to keep the target off our backs. Better to go 35-6, and let other teams THINK they actually have a remote chance of winning.

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Nah. If we go 41-0 at the beginning, it's gonna be really tough to keep the target off our backs. Better to go 35-6, and let other teams THINK they actually have a remote chance of winning.

That means 6 sleepless nights. I like my sleep way too much.

On the other hand - 6 more opportunities to blame RA & CW.

something has got to give here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi said:
That means 6 sleepless nights. I like my sleep way too much.

On the other hand - 6 more opportunities to blame RA & CW.

something has got to give here.

ROFLMAO!!!

Okay, who are you and what have you done with the real piksi? ;)