Kings interested in Monta Ellis?

Quote:

"The Bucks acquired Ellis from Golden State in March 2012 in a deal that sent Andrew Bogut to the Warriors. Oddly, a member of the proposed ownership group trying to keep the Kings in Sacramento has done some background checking on Ellis as a possibility for the Kings if the team decides to part ways with restricted free agent Tyreke Evans this summer, a league source involved in the discussions said. Ellis is weighing his options and hasn't decided yet whether he will opt out of his $11 million deal."

Source (via realgm.com)

As if the Kings didn't have enough chucker guards...

Blah. Ellis might be better than Evans now, but not by much. Ellis will demand more money, and will not get any better.

And we all know the issue with this team and roster building. I'd rather overpay 7-8 million for a role player than whatever contract Ellis is looking for.

quoting myself from the UFA thread:

that *has* to be a smokescreen, *has* to. Vivek was part of the ownership group that deemed Ellis expendable, wants a more analytics based approach to team building (where Ellis fails rather spectacularly), and everybody and their mother knows that Ellis would be insanely duplicative of half the Kings roster. if this were to happen, there'd be riots in the streets (well, mine at least, and with me as the only participant, as onlookers wonder what the hell I'm yelling about).

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
First I'll say, I'm extremely excited and thankful for what the Vivek led group is doing.

But, this is the type of crap which makes me nervous. We just don't know how a new GM and ownership will value our players. Not ponying up for Reke and going for Monta instead would be a huge mistake and one I'd criticize heavily, no matter if it's Vivek or a new GM who makes the call. Monta is an overpaid chucker who's a defensive liability. The idea you'd shell out good money for Monta, who doesn't have the room to improve like Reke, is asinine.

But this is a weird rumor. Ownership should not be making player personnel decisions in terms of trades/FA targets. And I'd hope Vivek realizes that, as GS leaned heavily on Jerry West.

And, there's this from after their last playoff game.

Though the players had to be separated, the dust-up didn’t get serious enough to trigger disciplinary action for either player. One source described the confrontation as “just words between teammates in the locker room.”

Ellis “took umbrage,” according to another person with knowledge of the situation. Correctly assuming that Sanders’ comments were directed primarily at him and backcourt mate Brandon Jennings, who both are prospective free agents, Ellis approached Sanders and squared off with him, sources said. A teammate got between the two players and separated them before the conflict became physical.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Quote:

"The Bucks acquired Ellis from Golden State in March 2012 in a deal that sent Andrew Bogut to the Warriors. Oddly, a member of the proposed ownership group trying to keep the Kings in Sacramento has done some background checking on Ellis as a possibility for the Kings if the team decides to part ways with restricted free agent Tyreke Evans this summer, a league source involved in the discussions said. Ellis is weighing his options and hasn't decided yet whether he will opt out of his $11 million deal."

Source (via realgm.com)

As if the Kings didn't have enough chucker guards...
A league source involved in the discussions is code-speak for "agent."

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
PG - Thomas
SG - Jimmer
SF - Thornton
PF - Ellis
C - Patterson

As long as we keep Smart, what could possibly go wrong?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Let Tyreke walk and go after Ellis for a comparable or bigger contract? I'll just pretend I didn't read this. I'm only thinking happy thoughts this week.

yeah, VF21 nailed it, probably. too nonsensical and there hasn't yet been any Kings fan endorsing this signing. an agent trying to puff up his client's value, especially in the face of so detrimental a situation as that confrontation with LARRY SANDERS! is the most logical solution.

gunks

Hall of Famer
quoting myself from the UFA thread:

that *has* to be a smokescreen, *has* to. Vivek was part of the ownership group that deemed Ellis expendable, wants a more analytics based approach to team building (where Ellis fails rather spectacularly), and everybody and their mother knows that Ellis would be insanely duplicative of half the Kings roster. if this were to happen, there'd be riots in the streets (well, mine at least, and with me as the only participant, as onlookers wonder what the hell I'm yelling about).
This. Hopefully.

I'm really worried we arnt going to keep Tyreke. To a casual observer he looks like a bust. To anyone who paid any attention its clear that he was horribly misused, is improving, and still has loads of room to grow. I have my fingers crossed that the new ownership group does their homework.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This. Hopefully.

I'm really worried we arnt going to keep Tyreke. To a casual observer he looks like a bust. To anyone who paid any attention its clear that he was horribly misused, is improving, and still has loads of room to grow. I have my fingers crossed that the new ownership group does their homework.
Well KJ is pretty heavily involved and he's seen Tyreke play up close many times now. He also knows a thing or two about basketball. If this is even on the radar at all (and not just a false rumor to get Ellis' name involved in a story that a lot of people are following closely) I'm sure it's a last resort option.

Meanwhile, in Keith Smart's mind...

Monta is so sick! Let's make him our starting center.

PG: James Johnson
SG: DMC
SF: Isaiah
PF: Reeeke
C: Monta

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not going to be terribly worried about this. We have about 20 owners, could have been any of them, at any level of decision making or lack thereof. We could be doing it on all FA this summer, just as diligence. And finally it does not say we'd prefer Ellis to Reke, just that we are covering out bases in case Reke leaves, potentially his idea not ours.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Not going to be terribly worried about this. We have about 20 owners, could have been any of them, at any level of decision making or lack thereof. We could be doing it on all FA this summer, just as diligence. And finally it does not say we'd prefer Ellis to Reke, just that we are covering out bases in case Reke leaves, potentially his idea not ours.
Agreed, of course the only way his happens is with a sign and trade, I am not sure Reek would rather be in Mil. At any rate short of a replacement for Reek, I don't see Ellis as the answer to our problems and given what we loose on defense I would never make this trade. Keeping Reek may not be easy but it is simple. Match any offer, sit him down with a competent coach with a vision for the team, and for god sakes explain his roll to him,,, then I see Evans happy to be here.
Now if we could just find a coach with experience, who has worked with an exceptionally strong big man, and fast smart guard...

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Another ball hog, shoot first guard who can't defend. Just what we need. Tyreke is bigger, much better defender and becoming better shooter. Find a way to use him or trade for a starting SG who can defend.

**** NO!!!!!

Ellis is a chucker who is a terrible defender and would be an absolute misfit with Cousins.

Extend Cousins, re-sign Evans and let's go looking to fill the roster with players that fit that duo. Ellis is not one of those players and he sure as hell is not an upgrade on Evans.

This doesn't worry me in the slightest. Ignoring the fact we're about 0.1% of the way finished to what our FO and Coaching personal will actually look like, this just sounds like an owner taking a look at a few FA SG's if Reke can't be resigned (his or our decision).