[Game] Kings @ Hornets - 11/23/15 - 4 pm PST, 7 pm EST

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Kings are heading into Charlotte with a road win under their belts that will hopefully give them a boost in what could be a pretty tough game. Rudy Gay is listed as questionable at this point, but other than that we're looking at a full complement of players (which might or might not be a good thing, considering the number of players George Karl keeps saying he needs to give additional minutes).

One of Kingsfans.com's favorite players to hate is on the Hornets. He's currently logging a little over 17 mpg so I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunity to boo him. ;)

Most likely starting five for the Hornets will be Walker, Batum, Hairston, Williams and Jefferson. Most likely starting five for the Kings will be Rondo, unknown player, unknown player, unknown player and Cousins.

GO KINGS!

Last edited:
The Kings are heading into Charlotte with a road win under their belts that will hopefully give them a boost in what could be a pretty touch game. Rudy Gay is listed as questionable at this point, but other than that we're looking at a full complement of players (which might or might not be a good thing, considering the number of players George Karl keeps saying he needs to give additional minutes).

One of Kingsfan.com's favorite players to hate is on the Hornets. He's currently logging a little over 17 mpg so I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunity to boo him. ;)

Most likely starting five for the Hornets will be Walker, Batum, Hairston, Williams and Jefferson. Most likely starting five for the Kings will be Rondo, unknown player, unknown player, unknown player and Cousins.

GO KINGS!
I predict that unknown player will have a good game tomorrow night. Gut feeling ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The Hornets may not even have Zeller, at which point they don't have a single player with a remote hope of guarding Boogie. This is a Boogie smash game all the way, and much as we can make cute with the 3pt/driving game, I'm hoping Rondo redirects the big guy down inside some too.

How they've upped their offense is a bit of a mystery, as essentially its just come to a couple of NBA superstars in Nic Batum and Jeremy Lamb hitting their jumpers. Nobody averages 17ppg.

The real danger may be our own coach, who will of course as usual be tempted to engage his smallball fantasies at PF rather than exploiting our size advantage.

Bricklayer

Hornets are 5-1 at home so this won't be easy. Team needs to continue to play poised and together, move the ball and play team defense. We probably see DC/Rondo starting again. It's Russian Roulette with Karl and his playing minutes.
They are, but then again the last two were against Brooklyn and the Sixers, so barely counts. :)

This is very winnable, we have the players to control Jefferson and Cuz should go off on them. We just have to attack the paint, having Rudy would help that cause too. Only thing to be worried about is them getting hot from outside, but alot of that is predicated on Jefferson drawing attention.

The Hornets may not even have Zeller, at which point they don't have a single player with a remote hope of guarding Boogie. This is a Boogie smash game all the way, and much as we can make cute with the 3pt/driving game, I'm hoping Rondo redirects the big guy down inside some too.

How they've upped their offense is a bit of a mystery, as essentially its just come to a couple of NBA superstars in Nic Batum and Jeremy Lamb hitting their jumpers. Nobody averages 17ppg.

The real danger may be our own coach, who will of course as usual be tempted to engage his smallball fantasies at PF rather than exploiting our size advantage.
What lineup would you put against: Kemba, Lin, Lamb, Batum, and Jefferson?

Do you really suggest we put WCS or Kofus on Batum? WCS's offense is not good enough to exploit Batum, and he'll have a field day getting WCS in foul trouble. Kofus will get burned every time trying to guard Batum...

If they put out that lineup, we don't have a choice but to go: Rondo, Collison, Ben, Casspi, and Cousins.

And you're really nitpicking your number at 17ppg, considering BOTH Batum and Kemba average 16.8pts.

They also have a 15pt scorer in Al Jeff, and two 11pt scorers in Lin and Lamb, both of whom are players that can explode on any given night.

This is very winnable, we have the players to control Jefferson and Cuz should go off on them. We just have to attack the paint, having Rudy would help that cause too. Only thing to be worried about is them getting hot from outside, but alot of that is predicated on Jefferson drawing attention.
We should never double on Al Jeff. Just for anyone who hasn't watched the Hornets this year, they do have Batum and Kemba who can easily knock down 3pters. Our goal today will be to force the other team to attack.

They will kill us if we decide we want to swarm the paint.

We will need a big defensive game from our guards. We freaking suck at perimeter defense, and that's what killed us this year. Other team is settling for jumpers because they're open, or Rondo/Collison decide to switch way too damn early.

What lineup would you put against: Kemba, Lin, Lamb, Batum, and Jefferson?

Do you really suggest we put WCS or Kofus on Batum? WCS's offense is not good enough to exploit Batum, and he'll have a field day getting WCS in foul trouble. Kofus will get burned every time trying to guard Batum...

If they put out that lineup, we don't have a choice but to go: Rondo, Collison, Ben, Casspi, and Cousins.

And you're really nitpicking your number at 17ppg, considering BOTH Batum and Kemba average 16.8pts.

They also have a 15pt scorer in Al Jeff, and two 11pt scorers in Lin and Lamb, both of whom are players that can explode on any given night.
He doesn't need to exploit him offensively. We exploit them by having a size advantage on the glass and another rim protector on the floor. Cauley-Stein is athletic enough & long enough to defend Batum.

If they want to play that lineup on us, then you stick with Rondo, McLemore, Gay, Cauley-Stein, and Cousins. McLemore has the ability to hang with Lin. I'm not worried about Lamb torching us tonight (and with two rim protectors in the lineup, I'm definitely not worried). Like I mentioned already, Cauley-Stein has the ability to defend Batum.

On the other end, you have a smaller PG (with a small wingspan) guarding our 3pt shooter. It should make it easier for McLemore to get a shot over him. Then you have Gay being guarded by Lamb. Either you take that munchkin in the post, or you have Gay & Cousins work the pick and roll. You'll often end up with Lamb on Cousins/Jefferson on Gay, and with Gay's length advantage over Lamb, it should make it very easy for Gay to make the pass over Lamb to find Cousins for an easy look.

I really don't understand why people want to take away our mismatches. Don't play down to your opponents roster.

He doesn't need to exploit him offensively. We exploit them by having a size advantage on the glass and another rim protector on the floor. Cauley-Stein is athletic enough & long enough to defend Batum.

If they want to play that lineup on us, then you stick with Rondo, McLemore, Gay, Cauley-Stein, and Cousins. McLemore has the ability to hang with Lin. I'm not worried about Lamb torching us tonight (and with two rim protectors in the lineup, I'm definitely not worried). Like I mentioned already, Cauley-Stein has the ability to defend Batum.

On the other end, you have a smaller PG (with a small wingspan) guarding our 3pt shooter. It should make it easier for McLemore to get a shot over him. Then you have Gay being guarded by Lamb. Either you take that munchkin in the post, or you have Gay & Cousins work the pick and roll. You'll often end up with Lamb on Cousins/Jefferson on Gay, and with Gay's length advantage over Lamb, it should make it very easy for Gay to make the pass over Lamb to find Cousins for an easy look.

I really don't understand why people want to take away our mismatches. Don't play down to your opponents roster.
Good news to see Gay is playing tonight.

I'm just not completely sold on our defenders.

The problem with WCS on Batum, is that you completely take away the rim protection underneath. Kemba and Lin are both players who are good at driving to the rim. For ex, As soon as Kemba beats his man(most likely), it'll force Rudy to converge, and Kemba can exploit this by kicking it out to Lamb.

The good thing is that it'll force the opponents to drive, but the bad thing is that we won't have WCS under the rim, and it'll most likely result in more fouls for Cousins.

It'll only work if we can switch on time. We did an amazing job of this in the Nets, so I think it can be done again. I wouldn't want to bet on it though. I think if we go small, it doesn't really hurt us that much since Rudy is a good rebounder.

Good news to see Gay is playing tonight.

I'm just not completely sold on our defenders.

The problem with WCS on Batum, is that you completely take away the rim protection underneath. Kemba and Lin are both players who are good at driving to the rim. For ex, As soon as Kemba beats his man(most likely), it'll force Rudy to converge, and Kemba can exploit this by kicking it out to Lamb.

The good thing is that it'll force the opponents to drive, but the bad thing is that we won't have WCS under the rim, and it'll most likely result in more fouls for Cousins.

It'll only work if we can switch on time. We did an amazing job of this in the Nets, so I think it can be done again. I wouldn't want to bet on it though. I think if we go small, it doesn't really hurt us that much since Rudy is a good rebounder.
Well if you take Cauley-Stein off the floor then it definitely results in more fouls for Cousins. What's your point there? You're arguing that Cauley-Stein defending the perimeter will result in more fouls for Cousins than Gay defending the perimeter? You do realize how crazy that sounds, right? Collison on Lin/Gay on Batum does not benefit us as much as McLemore on Lin/Cauley-Stein on Batum. Especially when it results in a huge advantage for us on the offensive end (Lamb on Gay).

Look, if Batum wants to hang around the perimeter all day long, that's fine. Cauley-Stein did that all the time in college, he can do it again in this game.

I honestly am confused what the problem is? You're recommending to put a worse defender on one of their best offensive weapons, so we can have a guy with more offensive ability on the floor? Maybe I value defense much more than you do. We already have enough scoring options out there, so why don't we balance that roster by playing one of our best defenders and give him the assignment of locking down one of their best offensive players. This is basketball 101.

With him on the perimeter, you lose him close to the basket, but Cousins and Koufos defend the rim well. That shouldn't be an issue. With Cauley-Stein's quickness, length, and shot blocking ability, it makes him a great player to slide over if Cousins/Koufos have to rotate. I think you truly underestimate the amount of ground Cauley-Stein can cover and the amount of space he can defend. Someone with that size, length, & athleticism can cheat off his man more than someone like Gay. Having him on the floor shrinks the driving lanes and makes it tougher for our opponents to score. Meanwhile in your scenario, we add another scoring option (Collison) to Rondo/McLemore/Gay/Cousins. We don't need that much firepower. We need more defense.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Unfortunately that's all Karl has been doing up to this point in the season.

We will need a big defensive game from our guards. We freaking suck at perimeter defense, and that's what killed us this year. Other team is settling for jumpers because they're open, or Rondo/Collison decide to switch way too damn early.
Get ready to see Rondo vs. a posting up Big Al.

Bricklayer

Last game there was one notable and totally nonsensical play where Ben spontaneously decided to dive down in the paint to double on Vucevic posing up Cuz. Except Cuz is now one of the league's better defenders and had dominated that matchup all night, and Ben was supposed to be guarding Fournier, who had started cold. The very LAST thing you wanted to do was to leave him wide open for a shot so he could get himself going.

We can't afford to have any of that dumbness this game. Cousins always used to list Big Al as his toughest matchup, as in toughest to stop, because he always killed him the other way. But one is ascendant now, and the other in decline. And with Big Al a 15ppg scorer nowadays, we have 3 guys who can hold him enough in check he won't beat us. Who WILL beat us, and have been beating other teams, is their new cadre of three point bombers. Our danger will once again stem from out dubious wing defenders.

Entity

Hall of Famer
ive noticed Ben still diving down to double like a good 10 feet off his man. Is this not coming from the coach? is it his own doing. because if it was you would think coach saying "hey ben don't do that" it would stop

Gay has put up some monster numbers against batum in Portland. I'm worried about Jefferson getting boogie in foul trouble. Dmc even said himself that al is one of his toughest covers

Gay has put up some monster numbers against batum in Portland. I'm worried about Jefferson getting boogie in foul trouble. Dmc even said himself that al is one of his toughest covers
Do you know who is going to be our starting line-up in this one? maybe it will be better to let Willie Cauley- Stein to guard Al Jefferson, so that way we will almost make sure Cousins won't find himself in a foul trouble, and even if DeMarcus is the one to defend Al then he should be smart while doing so, not falling for his pump fakes and avoid stupid fouls which can happen when he is frustrated....

Charlotte is a tougher opponent than it actually looks, I am truly afraid that Jeremy Lin will be their spark off the bench because he has done it several times this season.

I am pretty sure I will be watching this one, unless I fall asleep, which I hope won't happen.

ive noticed Ben still diving down to double like a good 10 feet off his man. Is this not coming from the coach? is it his own doing. because if it was you would think coach saying "hey ben don't do that" it would stop
I've noticed it too. Drives me crazy. I'm sure it's because, theoretically, Ben has the quickness to recover from further away from his man. So they tell him to help in the middle. I just think it's unnecessary unless and until you're actually having trouble stopping the opposing post player.

This coaching staff tries so hard to be smart that they over think the most basic things and take the team and players out of position.