Kings Have a new Logo

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just for fun. Made these up so we could see some "what ifs." Personally I am OK with any of them, but I'm easy.

Of all the variations I like the all black version best. I wouldn't mind the baby blue as a uniform accent but I think it should be kept off the logo.

If they go two-tone I like #2 & #14

Even though I'm an old school fan, I'm not too wild about any of these logos. I dunno, perhaps they'll grow on me. I hope so. I do admit that adding color as some of you did changes it a bit, for the better, so it will be interesting to find out exactly what color scheme they've actually gone with.

If they've gravitated back to the royal blue, powder blue and red again .... I'll be upset. I love the purple and black. Having said that, royal blue and black isn't so turrible (as Sir Charles would say!).

Now I get it.... the crown is supposed to be mountain ranges. I'm assuming that the dips are valleys? If you connect the invisible lines, they form perfectly shaped triangles. Love this design even more!

is it bad that the first thing I saw in that crown was the titanic sinking?

We really gotta start winning again.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the alternate logos look like soccer logos...the other ones don't look all that much different than the 80's KC logo....I do like the "Sac" one though...pretty cool lookin' stuff

I'm actually surprised by how much I dig this logo. The seams not only double as the lion's mane but also hint at an S.

Looking at it again it seems like with the crown doubling as a skyline the seams can also represent the Sacramento river. Just really cool with lots of detail while being simple and effective at the same time.

I wouldn't mind it as the primary logo really.
I can picture this center court. Very cool.

Apparently NBA 3.0 means more international advertising and a Kings partnership with Löwenbräu

I'm not sure about the full lion but I dig the rest. Not the complete re-imagining I was expecting and maybe hoping for, but if these really are the new logos I'm cool with that.

And honestly I kind of hope the logos are all black. I think they look great that way.
Lol, this is what I immediately thought of

Now that someone said mountain ranges, I think the two lines are 50 and 80 coming into Sacramento. Then you got the two rivers, and the whole mane is also a basketball. And there is some Sacramento coyote as the face :p

I'm actually surprised by how much I dig this logo. The seams not only double as the lion's mane but also hint at an S.

Looking at it again it seems like with the crown doubling as a skyline the seams can also represent the Sacramento river. Just really cool with lots of detail while being simple and effective at the same time.

I wouldn't mind it as the primary logo really.
This one is my favorite of the logos.

hm... i think i dig these logos, for the most part. i don't love the font of the main logo, though it looks better in the "SAC" alternate logo. i'm looking forward to seeing them in color/in context, and i'll hold off final judgment until then...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
hm... i think i dig these logos, for the most part. i don't love the font of the main logo, though it looks better in the "SAC" alternate logo. i'm looking forward to seeing them in color/in context, and i'll hold off final judgment until then...
we've seem them in color/context before:

unfortunately it was some weak ass crap. If we were gonna back to those beloved Joe Axelson days we should have just gone all the back to that awesome smiling ball one :)

we've seem them in color/context before:

unfortunately it was some weak ass poopoo. If we were gonna back to those beloved Joe Axelson days we should have just gone all the back to that awesome smiling ball one :)
by "in color/in context," i mean on a jersey/on the court. divorced from that context, many logos around the league don't hold up well. and your contention that it's "some weak ass poopoo" is, of course, entirely subjective. a logo needn't strike fear into the hearts of the enemy, or whatever it may be that you value in a logo's design, especially when striking such a pose becomes an empty gesture as the losses pile up. personally, i prefer a minimal aesthetic, and i've long hated the existing "clip art logo," which funky described perfectly above. so while i was hoping to see a completely new and original redesign, i'm also not upset to see them updating the older, much more minimal logo to commemorate the franchise's history. and while "those beloved joe axelson days" will not be fondly recalled for the quality of the on-court product, it's not as if things have been much better in the last decade. the kings have had a grand total of only eight winning seasons in the thirty-one years they've been in sacramento, after all...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
NPR recently interviewed Roman Mars about his Ted Talk on (of all things) the design of city flags. And I was intrigued enough to watch the full video and it was actually incredibly interesting.

https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mar...signed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed?language=en

Most of what he says about flags transfers directly over to something like a team logo. Especially the bit about looking at the design at the scale of an inch or so. The current logo fails there. Just not the simple, iconic result you want. Four different colors (and one of them - gray - prominent despite not being a main team color) six different elements and very hard to make out when rendered small, something that happens often with NBA logos.

This is all personal preference but I like what Brooklyn, Atlanta & Milwaukee did with their redesigns and I think the Kings are on that same track of simple, clean and classic or at least modern-retro.

But that lion head/basketball secondary logo - that's awesome. Is there anyone who doesn't dig that one?

NPR recently interviewed Roman Mars about his Ted Talk on (of all things) the design of city flags. And I was intrigued enough to watch the full video and it was actually incredibly interesting.

https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mar...signed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed?language=en

Most of what he says about flags transfers directly over to something like a team logo. Especially the bit about looking at the design at the scale of an inch or so. The current logo fails there. Just not the simple, iconic result you want. Four different colors (and one of them - gray - prominent despite not being a main team color) six different elements and very hard to make out when rendered small, something that happens often with NBA logos.

This is all personal preference but I like what Brooklyn, Atlanta & Milwaukee did with their redesigns and I think the Kings are on that same track of simple, clean and classic or at least modern-retro.

But that lion head/basketball secondary logo - that's awesome. Is there anyone who doesn't dig that one?
agreed entirely. and i kinda wish that lion head secondary logo was the main logo, to be honest. simple, clean, elegant, and ferocious all at once...