Kings FA Breakdown

That list is WAY premature, I think. You have guys on there like Songaila, who opted out early this year, and will probably be locked up next year. Also, guys like Peja who may opt out next year aren't on there either. There will likely be a nubmer of players signing extensions this summer too. While I get where you're coming from, that list is far from comprehensive at this point...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SactoGreg - Excellent analyis IMHO. One thing that separates TDOS this year from other years is we certainly aren't going to be bored.

:D

Last edited:
VF21 said:
SactoGreg - Excellent analyis IMHO. One thing that separates TDOS this year from other years is we certainly aren't going to be bored.

:D
This season will be either EXTREMELY boring or extremely EXCITING. it could be exciting by trades, draft, FA signings, and what-not. It could also be really boring by a lockout. So we wil have to wait to find out.

6th said:
Okay, so if there are no marquee as FAs this year, what about marquee players who will be going into the last year of their contract? Teams might want to trade them if they know they are unhappy and would lose them (and get nothing back next year). Then again, would we want to risk losing them next year? I.e. is this something we would even look at?
If there are any of those (ala Shaq and TMac from last season), the media hasn't made a big deal about them just yet. Of course, the playoffs aren't even over, so...

note: I'm much too lazy to scroll through the list of players currently to be FAs in 2006.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
CaminoChaos said:
2006 Free Agents (expiring contracts)Player Team Type
Nene Hilario Denver Restricted F.A.
Voshon Lenard Denver Unrestricted F.A.
Tayshaun Prince Detroit Restricted F.A.
Ben Wallace Detroit Unrestricted F.A.
Yao Ming Houston Restricted F.A.
Scott Padgett Houston Unrestricted F.A.
Caron Butler L.A. Lakers Restricted F.A.
Damon Jones Miami Unrestricted F.A.
Shaquille O'Neal Miami Unrestricted F.A.
Michael Redd Milwaukee Unrestricted F.A.
Chris Andersen New Orleans Unrestricted F.A.
Amare Stoudemire Phoenix Restricted F.A.
Jake Voskuhl Phoenix Unrestricted F.A.
Joel Przybilla Portland Unrestricted F.A.
Nazr Mohammed San Antonio Unrestricted F.A.
Antonio Daniels Seattle Unrestricted F.A.
^^A few names seemed to jump out...

VF21 said:
^^A few names seemed to jump out...
Hmm...can we somehow incite a PHX riot to get Amare in a Kings' uniform? If the Suns make a miraculous comeback against the Spurs and win the title, and Amare isn't given any credit, would that be a good start?

Although I may add it is very tempting to clear out all contracts except for Bibby and Miller (Peja and BoJax will be expiring) and make a run at Amare. Maybe Nash will have tanked by then, and who knows what happens if Joe Johnson leaves or if they get swept by the Spurs this year.

More thoughts: if this was actually Petrie's plan, wouldn't it have made more sense to ask for Glenn Robinson's expiring contract instead of what we got for Webb?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The more I read lately, the more I think when Petrie got the call from the Sixers, he didn't really expect the trade to go down. I'm thinking it's highly possible he went to the Maloofs, told them the offer, and was told to pull the trigger. In my mind, at least, that would explain the way Petrie looked when he made the announcement. I'm not at all sure now he was the engineer behind the deal.

LPKingsFan said:
More thoughts: if this was actually Petrie's plan, wouldn't it have made more sense to ask for Glenn Robinson's expiring contract instead of what we got for Webb?
I really don't think that it was Petries intention to acquire expiring deals.

VF21 said:
The more I read lately, the more I think when Petrie got the call from the Sixers, he didn't really expect the trade to go down. I'm thinking it's highly possible he went to the Maloofs, told them the offer, and was told to pull the trigger. In my mind, at least, that would explain the way Petrie looked when he made the announcement. I'm not at all sure now he was the engineer behind the deal.
I think when Petrie got the call from the Sixers, he literally flew out of his chair, through the ceiling, and melted into a liquid substance. He then gained his composure and got the deal done as fast as he could.

Then you obviously have a much lower opinion of the man than I. I can't possibly see him being that excited over a deal that reduced us to the state we are now in. That deal was the final blow to HIS vision, a scrapping of that incarnation. Does he have a new vision? well, one certainly hopes so, but you can bet your bottom dollar this wasn't the way he invisioned it ending.

Kingsgurl said:
Then you obviously have a much lower opinion of the man than I. I can't possibly see him being that excited over a deal that reduced us to the state we are now in. That deal was the final blow to HIS vision, a scrapping of that incarnation. Does he have a new vision? well, one certainly hopes so, but you can bet your bottom dollar this wasn't the way he invisioned it ending.
Just going off of what I have read/seen on TV lately.

I have heard on ESPN a few times that other GM's congradulated Petrie on getting the deal done. Obviously I was being a little sarcastic with my previous comments, but none the less, I believe dealing Webbers contract was planned for awhile, as soon as the opprotunity came up BAM! it was a done deal.

It also makes sense in regards to why the Kings were so dead set against dealing Peja when he requested a trade before last season.

Last edited:
O

ONEZERO

Right now I have no clue where were going as a franchise, but maybe in july or august it will be a little more clear.

Kingsgurl said:
"Gee, Geoff, great job moving that contract. Nice job in the play offs."
Do you honestly think that Webber's was that moveable??????

Actually, I find it pretty impressive that GP could get that contract off the books and if he can move K9's contract in the next couple of years the man deserves a knighthood.

Someone claimed that Petrie didn't want it to end it this way. I am sure he would have liked to get championship with the bunch we had but it was obvious that we were never a chance with or without Webber. Webber was HUGE with us this year considing he was basically playing on one leg. Rumours were rife this time last year that Petrie was trying to move Webber's contract. While I don't listen to rumours that much, this one obviously had some merit. Why else would GP trade Webber during the season and why was he dead set against trading Peja??????

Something tells me Petrie has decided to move Webber's contract long before it happened and I also truely beleive that a man of GP reputation and credibility would have exhausted every avenue to try and get the best possible deal for his best player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The bottom line is we most likely won't ever know for sure. Geoff Petrie doesn't strike me as the type who'll write a tell-all book after it's all over and done...

Sorry to disagree with you, STK & Carolia, but I don't think Petrie wanted to end that way. If you do, fine. None of us is going on anything more than hunch or instinct.

Carolija - Do we HAVE to bring up the old "dead set against trading Peja" argument again? We don't know that he was dead set against it. What we do know is that he didn't have to hurry. He could take his time and wait for the perfect offer because Peja's contract isn't a problem - at all.

But, once again, a thread has dissolved into a discussion of Webber. Webber is gone; he's a part of the Kings past and I think history will treat him much more kindly than some here.

Back to the topic at hand - as far as the Kings FA situation goes, I am very hopeful they do what it takes to fill the gaps. I'm no longer emotionally attached to any of those guys the way I was before this season. I can't be. For me, it honestly hurts too much to get that invested in players...

Having said that, I think Mo Evans and Matt Barnes both have something the Kings could use and I hope there's a way to bring them back. If it boils down to one of them, then I think Evans needs to get the nod.

Petrie did the impossible before, bringing players people were convinced wouldn't fit or work out and somehow making it all come together. I have to believe he can do that again.

GO KINGS!!!!!

VF21 we will agree to disagree on this one and that fine by me :)

I will say for all the Webber knockers out there that he was the face of the franchise. He was the Kings and along with Vlade was one of the key contributors in turning this franchise into what it is today. For that I thank him and I sincerely hope he gets his number retired because at least he deserves that.

Back on topic, I have enormous respect for Goeff Petrie and there is not another GM I would rather have especially considering the situation we are in. I am confident GP will rebuild this team into a genuine contender within the next 2 seasons. He has some work ahead of him but if anyone can do it GP can.

On Evans, I would love to see him back but does anyone else get this feeling it will be same scenario as the Jimmy Jackson one?????? I muct admit I am not too knowledgable on all there bird rights stuff, but if we are to resign Mo would we have to pay the luxury tax on him?????

I also don't think anyone is untouchable and that includes Bibby. As much as I love him as a player, he is also tradeable if it makes this team better. If Bibby moveable then everyone else is IMHO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Čarolija said:
VF21 we will agree to disagree on this one and that fine by me :)
Fine by me, too. :)

On Evans, I would love to see him back but does anyone else get this feeling it will be same scenario as the Jimmy Jackson one??????
THAT - in a nutshell - is one of my biggest fears. Petrie wouldn't have hired him if he didn't see something in him. I certainly hope we can get him back because IMHO he could well be a key role player ... at least ... and possibly more. You can't fault his dedication or his heart - or his willingness to lose blood for the team.

;)

Last edited:
Do you honestly think that Webber's was that moveable??????
No. I not only didn't think it was movable, but didn't think moving it was the right move. Still don't. Some people act like we get some sort of 'bonus' for moving a contract many thought (myself included) was immovable. Right now, I see a team that lacks identity, leadership and a star. I see a bunch of guys who have no faith in the Kings as a team. Who want to win, but have no idea how. Right now, Petrie is looking to move all those 'flexible' pieces into, guess what? another star, another mega contract. As he should. We need one, what we now have is AWESOME role players, a TERRIFIC supporting cast. But what are they supporting? A big gaping hole, left by not just Chris, who had Faith, but Doug who had desire and Vlade who had the spirit.
No one should be congratulating anyone yet, as we have done nothing YET to deserve congrats. Right now, we are coming off our worst play off performance in years, right now we have many questions and few answers.
Even if it was your belief that the end of the road had come for that past team (and I figured this summer to be the end of the line) you have to see that what we have now is not the answer.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good points, Kingsgurl.

What are the Kings without the faith, the desire and the spirit? Just another NBA franchise. And that is NEVER what our team has been about.

kingsfan4life said:
thats a great lineup! but do u guys think bibby is worth it?he didnt play that good in the playoffs
i think bibby deserves it. he's great, but he's a compliment player. he complimented chris webber. mike can't do it by himself. we need a star next year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kingsfan4life said:
thats a great lineup! but do u guys think bibby is worth it?he didnt play that good in the playoffs
NOBODY played that well in the playoffs. If they had, we wouldn't be sitting back waiting for the Spurs-Suns WCF to end...

;)

There were a lot of reasons the Kings didn't win the first round against the Sonics. There's a lot of "blame" to go around if one is so inclined. Personally, I think it's best to just let it go. The team simply had too many strikes against them going in to ever be considered a legitimate threat to go any further than the first round anyway. Quite frankly, I'm glad we didn't have to face the Spurs because it would have been - in a word - ugly.

Petrie did the impossible before, bringing players people were convinced wouldn't fit or work out and somehow making it all come together. I have to believe he can do that again.
That I believe is it in a nutshell. He does have a track record of bringing in "problem children" and having them make a 180 degree change in attitude.

So often a player is given a label that no longer fits. It takes the rare ability to see thru the smoke to see what is there. I would not be surprised if there isn't many major changes but rather one. I guessed in the ultimate prediction thread who I thought it may be if that was the case. I am probably wrong on that player, but what the heck, no lasting harm.