Kings Down-Picks

Robinson?

I actually don't blame the Kings for picking Robinson. He looked like a great prospect in college - dominant and athletic, competing in the NCAA title game against Kentucky - actually carrying the team more-or-less then. That's the crap-shoot of it.....

That's not the Robinson I saw in college - yes he was athletic but he was anything but dominant. He looked small, couldn't shoot and a poor finisher. That final game against Kentucky pretty much exposed him as someone who couldn't handle length and couldn't carry a team. Don't get me wrong, he was NBA material, but it was obvious he was a role player at best. At the time, I called him a Udonis Haslem without the jumpshot.

Soon after the Kings picked him, I made videos of every single play featuring him in the Final.

T-Rob was a horrible pick because he had such a dramatic personal story, it pretty much pushed him into killing himself to maximize everything he could do in college and get a payday in the NBA (to save his sister IIRC).
IMO, it was clear on draft night that he was just happy to have gotten to the NBA and gotten paid.

That's just not a situation that the Kings should have been banking on.

F

Fora Dragi

T-Rob was a horrible pick because he had such a dramatic personal story, it pretty much pushed him into killing himself to maximize everything he could do in college and get a payday in the NBA (to save his sister IIRC).
IMO, it was clear on draft night that he was just happy to have gotten to the NBA and gotten paid.

That's just not a situation that the Kings should have been banking on.
Really? I'm sorry but unless you know something the rest of us don't I believe you are out of line here. What exactly about draft night made you think he was ready to mail it in? God forbid a thankful player on draft night.

I guess you didn't notice that they sat Cousins, Rudy, and others for multiple games during the last quarter of the season.

Also, keep in mind as bad as you suggest the team was last year, they were in the eighth playoff spot before they imploded. And as you mention, they were off to as bad of a start as this team is (with this year's team having a much more difficult schedule and trying to integrate a lot of new pieces and schemes).

It's far too early to be giving up on this season.
As bad as I suggest....hmmm....and when were they "in" 8TH the playoff spot? Over 2 months before the end of the season....that's not really competitive...new pieces and schemes that don't seem to be working.

Far too early? Maybe, but its not looking good. Close losses are still losses - the hole from just .500 is getting deeper, and their away record is ominous. Someone better break out of his funk quickly.

Really? I'm sorry but unless you know something the rest of us don't I believe you are out of line here. What exactly about draft night made you think he was ready to mail it in? God forbid a thankful player on draft night.
I'm out of line for sharing the observation I made when hearing his situation and life story on draft night?

And to clarify - it's not that he was ready to mail it in. He seemed like a great guy.
It's that it was basically a close-to-life-and-death situation for his sister, and so he played as hard as he possibly could to impress NBA to be drafted as high as possible.

That's not someone that I would have drafted, based on the entirely-reasonable conclusion that he couldn;t get much better, compared to someone else who treated college basketball less seriously would have a higher ceiling.
Basically, T-Rob maxed out in college, and I'm continually surprised that professional organizations (and too often the Kings) can't see these fairly obvious warning signs in draft picks.

I know it can come off as harping on T-Rob, but his selection points to a severe lack of competency in the Kings' FO.

Petrie talked about fearing the Maloofs wouldn't open up their wallet to re-sign JT, ok fine. Fair enough. If the Kings had thought T-Rob was ready to step in and fill in for JT, that's one thing; but we know they didn't think that because just weeks after drafting him they re-signed JT to pretty much replace TRob.

If the Kings had thought T-Rob was a stud with long term potential and simply signed JT to be a stop-gap, that's one thing; but we know they didn't think that because they shipped his butt out of Sac before the season ended.

So basically the Kings didn't think T-Rob was ready to start right away and didn't believe he had the potential to be a starter down the road. So WTF did they pick him?????? That's the mystery that hasn't been solved. Obviously they didn't know what the F they were doing, but even bad decisions are based on some rationale, what was theirs?

On top of that, the Kings had Kyle Lowry for that #5 pick sitting on the offer table. They turned it down to draft a guy they didn't think that highly of. Who the F does that?? It's as if they were purposely blowing the draft.

And then on top of that, some in the FO had the gall to suggest they were very high on Damian Lillard and would have drafted him if it weren't for the Maloof's perceived stinginess. Oh F off! They want to tell me they had an offer of Lowry but still would have drafted Lillard (which implies they knew Lillard would be better than Lowry and therefore an All Star level PG), but turned both of them down to draft a PF that they were lukewarm on at best???!! At a time when they were looking for a PG?

It would have made more sense if the Kings simply admit they got drunk in the war room and confused Thomas Robinson with Barnes, Harrison.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I know it can come off as harping on T-Rob, but his selection points to a severe lack of competency in the Kings' FO.

Petrie talked about fearing the Maloofs wouldn't open up their wallet to re-sign JT, ok fine. Fair enough. If the Kings had thought T-Rob was ready to step in and fill in for JT, that's one thing; but we know they didn't think that because just weeks after drafting him they re-signed JT to pretty much replace TRob.

If the Kings had thought T-Rob was a stud with long term potential and simply signed JT to be a stop-gap, that's one thing; but we know they didn't think that because they shipped his butt out of Sac before the season ended.

So basically the Kings didn't think T-Rob was ready to start right away and didn't believe he had the potential to be a starter down the road. So WTF did they pick him?????? That's the mystery that hasn't been solved. Obviously they didn't know what the F they were doing, but even bad decisions are based on some rationale, what was theirs?

On top of that, the Kings had Kyle Lowry for that #5 pick sitting on the offer table. They turned it down to draft a guy they didn't think that highly of. Who the F does that?? It's as if they were purposely blowing the draft.

And then on top of that, some in the FO had the gall to suggest they were very high on Damian Lillard and would have drafted him if it weren't for the Maloof's perceived stinginess. Oh F off! They want to tell me they had an offer of Lowry but still would have drafted Lillard (which implies they knew Lillard would be better than Lowry and therefore an All Star level PG), but turned both of them down to draft a PF that they were lukewarm on at best???!! At a time when they were looking for a PG?

It would have made more sense if the Kings simply admit they got drunk in the war room and confused Thomas Robinson with Barnes, Harrison.
Do you have a source for this? Does it specifically state that the Kings declined?

Nik Stauskas starting to look like he belongs. I hated that pick, wanted Payton, but then watched some of Nik's videos and thought he might develop into a Reddick type. After watching the Clipper game I see we are desperately missing an assassin. Well its still early but this could sink Vlade a little further.

F

Fora Dragi

I'm out of line for sharing the observation I made when hearing his situation and life story on draft night?

And to clarify - it's not that he was ready to mail it in. He seemed like a great guy.
It's that it was basically a close-to-life-and-death situation for his sister, and so he played as hard as he possibly could to impress NBA to be drafted as high as possible.

That's not someone that I would have drafted, based on the entirely-reasonable conclusion that he couldn;t get much better, compared to someone else who treated college basketball less seriously would have a higher ceiling.
Basically, T-Rob maxed out in college, and I'm continually surprised that professional organizations (and too often the Kings) can't see these fairly obvious warning signs in draft picks.
You are basing the fact that he was maxed out on his family situation...that is ridiculous. Many players are in the same boat. R thy all maxed out? Even those that aren't I can guarantee are doing all they can to achieve their dream. Sorry your reasoning is complete garbage.

Correct. Do you have a source for that piece of information?

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2012/6/25/3115787/kings-rockets-trade-rumors-kyle-lowry

http://fansided.com/2012/06/26/report-rockets-offer-lowry-and-picks-to-kings-for-5-overall/

Right before the draft, the Rockets dropped the demand for Tyreke and offered Lowry for the #5 straight up, they also offered the same deal to the Raptors for their #8. The fact that the Kings drafted T-Rob instead is self-evident they rejected the offer.

We know the info is legit because just a few days after the draft, Houston traded Lowry to the Raptors for a future 1st round pick that turned out to be the #12 pick. They included that pick in a package to the Thunder for James Harden.

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston...-trade-toronto-raptors-pick-draft-protections

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2012/6/25/3115787/kings-rockets-trade-rumors-kyle-lowry

http://fansided.com/2012/06/26/report-rockets-offer-lowry-and-picks-to-kings-for-5-overall/

Right before the draft, the Rockets dropped the demand for Tyreke and offered Lowry for the #5 straight up, they also offered the same deal to the Raptors for their #8. The fact that the Kings drafted T-Rob instead is self-evident they rejected the offer.

We know the info is legit because just a few days after the draft, Houston traded Lowry to the Raptors for a future 1st round pick that turned out to be the #12 pick. They included that pick in a package to the Thunder for James Harden.

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston...-trade-toronto-raptors-pick-draft-protections

In all fairness, that season the Kings were still sorta operating under the assumption that Tyreke was a point guard.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Back to present day, Malachi Richardson scores 28 last night. In 4 games, he's getting to TH FT line at a high rate and hitting 50% of 3 pointers, Lamar Patterson led last night with 8 assts, Skal has only shot 31% on his FG.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Back to present day, Malachi Richardson scores 28 last night. In 4 games, he's getting to TH FT line at a high rate and hitting 50% of 3 pointers, Lamar Patterson led last night with 8 assts, Skal has only shot 31% on his FG.
Really would be no surprise if Malachi was the first of the rookies to be able to challenge for an active roster spot. Papa needs to work on his game. Skal needs to work on his body. But Malachi, if he doesn't force shots, is NBA ready physically and has the closest thing to a standard prototype game for his position.

Last edited:
Really would be no surprise if Malachi was the first of the rookies to be able to challenge for an active roster spot. Papa needs to work on his game. Skal needs to work on his body. But Malachi, if he doesn't force shots, is NBA ready physically and has the closet thing to a standard prototype game for his position.
I am thinking 7 footers are a bit out of place in the D league. But in the NBA are valuable as practice players going up against Boogie, Kosta and WCS. Also gets PapaG used to the speed of the NBA game which is his #1 area for improvement IMO. And as already stated he is another 6 fouls going against the few really big Bigs out there.

Bricklayer

I am thinking 7 footers are a bit out of place in the D league. But in the NBA are valuable as practice players going up against Boogie, Kosta and WCS. Also gets PapaG used to the speed of the NBA game which is his #1 area for improvement IMO. And as already stated he is another 6 fouls going against the few really big Bigs out there.
Who? Papa?

No, he's unplayable. He's on the roster to be #13, but not on the roster as a playable piece.

I would imagine with Malachi that's its the same thing as normal -- too many experienced bodies needing time ahead of him, so why break up his rhythm when he's doing well.

Who? Papa?

No, he's unplayable. He's on the roster to be #13, but not on the roster as a playable piece.

I would imagine with Malachi that's its the same thing as normal -- too many experienced bodies needing time ahead of him, so why break up his rhythm when he's doing well.
Someone has to defend the Kings Bigs in practice unless you want them going up against a Coke machine:)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That's not the Robinson I saw in college - yes he was athletic but he was anything but dominant. He looked small, couldn't shoot and a poor finisher. That final game against Kentucky pretty much exposed him as someone who couldn't handle length and couldn't carry a team. Don't get me wrong, he was NBA material, but it was obvious he was a role player at best. At the time, I called him a Udonis Haslem without the jumpshot.

Soon after the Kings picked him, I made videos of every single play featuring him in the Final.

Well it was fairly well known that Petrie had his eye on Lillard, but the Maloofs wanted a PF and insisted on Robinson. I remember sitting with Uncia03 watching march maddness, and in particular, recorded games of Robinson, and trying my best to like him. The truth is, that other than a few moments here and there, one where he stole the ball and went end to end for a dunk, he wasn't that impressive. So when the Kings drafted him, I hoped for the best and was willing to give him a chance. I thought his ceiling would be Kenneth Faried, and he never reached that. Petrie, in his entire history with the Kings had never drafted a player he hadn't seen or worked out, and he never worked out Robinson.

The year before when the Kings worked out Fredette, the Maloofs almost had a love fest with Jimmer after the workout. This was when I had a source inside the organization, and that source told me that the Maloofs had overruled Petrie who wanted to draft Leonard if he was available. An no, I no longer have a source inside the Kings organization. That ended with the departure of the Maloof's.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Nik Stauskas starting to look like he belongs. I hated that pick, wanted Payton, but then watched some of Nik's videos and thought he might develop into a Reddick type. After watching the Clipper game I see we are desperately missing an assassin. Well its still early but this could sink Vlade a little further.
I liked Stauskas coming out of college, and thought we gave up on him way too soon. As I have stated too many times already, it takes around three years to know what you have in a player, and Stauskas is now in his third year, and starting to look like the player we thought he would be when we drafted him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Really would be no surprise if Malachi was the first of the rookies to be able to challenge for an active roster spot. Papa needs to work on his game. Skal needs to work on his body. But Malachi, if he doesn't force shots, is NBA ready physically and has the closest thing to a standard prototype game for his position.
You nailed it with the forced shots. My biggest problem with him at Syracuse was that he threw up some wild looking shots. But when he was squared up and set, he was a very good shooter. I thought he did a much better job with his shot selection in summer league. I like the way he's getting to the basket in Reno. He finishing much better than he did at Syracuse.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well it was fairly well known that Petrie had his eye on Lillard, but the Maloofs wanted a PF and insisted on Robinson. I remember sitting with Uncia03 watching march maddness, and in particular, recorded games of Robinson, and trying my best to like him. The truth is, that other than a few moments here and there, one where he stole the ball and went end to end for a dunk, he wasn't that impressive. So when the Kings drafted him, I hoped for the best and was willing to give him a chance. I thought his ceiling would be Kenneth Faried, and he never reached that. Petrie, in his entire history with the Kings had never drafted a player he hadn't seen or worked out, and he never worked out Robinson.

The year before when the Kings worked out Fredette, the Maloofs almost had a love fest with Jimmer after the workout. This was when I had a source inside the organization, and that source told me that the Maloofs had overruled Petrie who wanted to draft Leonard if he was available. An no, I no longer have a source inside the Kings organization. That ended with the departure of the Maloof's.
Reading these two statements makes me want to throw the Maloofs into a river with a brick attached to their legs as they sink to the bottom. Bringing up the past is what Kings fans do best because it's always a "what if" scenario.

In all fairness, that season the Kings were still sorta operating under the assumption that Tyreke was a point guard.

I don't buy the story that Petrie had his eyes on Lillard. Not one bit. It makes no sense.

He already had Kyle Lowry, a PG, on the table. If he liked Lillard more than Lowry, also a PG, it means he must have thought Lillard could be an All-Star because Lowry was already a pretty good player. If you know a kid is going to be a potential All-Star, your next move is to bypass him and pick a PF that you've never worked out and didn't believe could replace your scrub vet? I don't think so. It's all just Monday morning quarterbacking.

And even if Petrie must have a big man, there was a guy named Drummond that many could see was just what the Kings were looking for - size, athleticism, and shot blocking. Yes, he was raw but he was the only big man who checked all the boxes. We were desperate for size and shotblocking and Petrie drafted an undersized who couldn't block shots. Even if T-Rob turned out better he still isn't what the team needs.

I could buy the story that the Maloofs fell in love with Jimmer. The moves surrounding that draft were just odd. Petrie went away from tough and gritty players that he had been drafting and picked a no-defense finese shooter, traded away a pick, traded away a tough and gritty SF, and got a selfish ball-hog on the downhill plus Hickson. To top it off the Kings offered mad money to lure AK47 from Russia just weeks after trading for a starting SF. Geez, second guessing yourself much?

Last edited:
Malachi looking impressive in his starts so far. Maybe his knack at getting to the line isn't just a fluke? Only complaint is that he's not passing the ball but hey I'm just happy that we have a guy down there who looks like a legit prospect.

Skal with 4 blocks in his first start at center. Can't really teach shot blocking so that's a good sign.

Why did they bring Papa up? I'd rather him just get playing time and develop down in the D League. He's way over matched in Sac, even in practice.

Bricklayer

So all three kids being recalled from reno?

Coach wants a full table at Thanksgiving Dinner?

1. James Ham ‏@James_Ham 19m19 minutes ago
    Kings plan is to shuttle their three rookie first rounders between Sacramento and Reno much of the season.
Why?
always straddling that line of a) wanting them to get PT, especially when the Kings are on the road. But b) when we're home wanting them to be in an NBA environment, around the team and Joerger's system. Helps a lot that the D-League team is so close to the NBA city. If they were off playing in Fargo, North Dakota, might not make sense to bounce them quite as often.

I think they should keep them in Reno to gain some confidence. Malachi has been a star. Skal finally had his first good game. Papa has been much more effective than he was in preaseason and summer league. I say just let them compete at their own level of competition before they come up here and get owned by NBA level players. We can't even get Casspi on the court so I don't see the need to have 3 players up who aren't even remotely close to as effective as he is at the moment.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't buy the story that Petrie had his eyes on Lillard. Not one bit. It makes no sense.

He already had Kyle Lowry, a PG, on the table. If he liked Lillard more than Lowry, also a PG, it means he must have thought Lillard could be an All-Star because Lowry was already a pretty good player. If you know a kid is going to be a potential All-Star, your next move is to bypass him and pick a PF that you've never worked out and didn't believe could replace your scrub vet? I don't think so. It's all just Monday morning quarterbacking.

And even if Petrie must have a big man, there was a guy named Drummond that many could see was just what the Kings were looking for - size, athleticism, and shot blocking. Yes, he was raw but he was the only big man who checked all the boxes. We were desperate for size and shotblocking and Petrie drafted an undersized who couldn't block shots. Even if T-Rob turned out better he still isn't what the team needs.

I could buy the story that the Maloofs fell in love with Jimmer. The moves surrounding that draft were just odd. Petrie went away from tough and gritty players that he had been drafting and picked a no-defense finese shooter, traded away a pick, traded away a tough and gritty SF, and got a selfish ball-hog on the downhill plus Hickson. To top it off the Kings offered mad money to lure AK47 from Russia just weeks after trading for a starting SF. Geez, second guessing yourself much?
First, I know what I know, and that's all I have to say about it. You can believe me or not, doesn't matter to me at this point. That aside, what your forgetting about Petrie, is that he always looked to draft the best player available, regardless of what position they played. Just about every team in the league, including myself had serious reservations about Drummond prior to the draft. Drummond did nothing in college to help himself. Not one GM doubted Drummonds abilities, they doubted his desire. Go back and read any of my posts about Drummond prior to the draft and you'll find they were very consistent.

No, I'm not second guessing myself, because I know what I'm saying is the truth, and not speculation on my part. You can twist it anyway you want, but I happen to know the truth. As I said, believe it or not. Everything that happened toward the end of the Maloofs reign had to do with money. It was either something that they hoped would bring in more money (Fredette), or is was a trade to cut costs either in the immediate, or the future. In Robinson's case, the team did need a PF, and the Maloofs wanted to draft one. Robinson was the best on on the board according to national pundits. Therefore, he has some press clippings and might get people excited about the Kings picking him. A lot of people didn't even know who Lillard was. He didn't play for a major school, and at the time, some people thought he would be a risky pick.

Petrie made his reputation by plucking unknown players out of the fray. He did that by being a good judge of talent, and also knowing who would fit best. Do think he suddenly forgot how to do that? Who the hell ever heard of Kevin Martin before the Kings picked him? Peja? Hedo? Do you think he just woke up one day and got stupid? I'm not saying he was perfect. Everyone makes a mistake when your dealing with human beings. But when it came to the draft, don't you find it interesting that almost all his so called mistakes came at the end of his reign, when the Maloofs were out of money, and were trying desperately to sell and move the team?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Petrie made his reputation by plucking unknown players out of the fray. He did that by being a good judge of talent, and also knowing who would fit best. Do think he suddenly forgot how to do that? Who the hell ever heard of Kevin Martin before the Kings picked him? Peja? Hedo? Do you think he just woke up one day and got stupid?
Not much I can add to that.