Kings Could Stay Without Arena Deal

Ryan

I like turtles
KINGS COULD STAY WITHOUT ARENA DEAL
November 15, 2012 · 6:09PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/11/15/kings-could-stay-without-arena-deal/

Kings ownership and the city of Sacramento are still in a staring contest, the cooling-off period has stretched into its second NBA season, and hopeful Seattle remains in the distance as ever, and yet this is not more of the same on the relocation front.

In a moment befitting the twisted saga of team and community, bouncing from heart break to romance restored and back to scorned lover, the update is there is no update. Which is the point. There is so little movement anywhere that the growing belief among several insiders is that not only will the Kings not file before the end of the season to relocate for 2013-14, as many assumed was an automatic, but that the NBA could plausibly be in Sacramento several more seasons even without a deal on a new arena.

This could realistically be years – plural – of a holding pattern. The Maloof family has no card to play, and, to their credit, they know it. The one thing the embattled Kings owners have done right in this mess is to not force a move for the sake of moving, to find resolution once and for all. Anaheim was the wrong place at the very wrong time, Seattle has no chance of happening under current conditions, and Virginia Beach is a non-starter, little more than polite chatter between a city trying to get in the game and a family needing to consider every option, even the ones being reported without context on the respective home fronts. And so the Maloofs wait.

The strategy of Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson is clear: Hope the Maloofs are starved back to the negotiating table with his city. The former All-Star point guard of the Suns has made no attempt to reboot talks since the Kings threw the emergency brake in the spring on the train barreling toward the happy ending of a new downtown arena. It should be apparent by now that Johnson does not feel the need to act when he would be negotiating against himself for the team.

Plus, the importance to Sacramento of continuing to put time on the clock cannot be overstated. The Kings in Sleep Train Arena next season without a resolution for fans already worn to exhaustion will not be comfortable for anyone, especially if the small crowds of early 2012-13 continue, but does contain the key point: The Kings in Sleep Train Arena next season. The longer the NBA is in town, the more time there is to find a solution. Once it’s gone, chances are very good it is gone for good.

Johnson has made a lot of right moves in the tangled process, has won the respect of a lot of people around the league, and will come out of this looking good even if major-league sports leaves Sacramento for good on his watch. But waiting for someone else to create a need for a response is a very risky strategy that assumes the mayor will know his team is being poached with enough time to do something about it. Deals of this magnitude take many months to complete, so, yes, the burglar alarm could go long before the Kings would file, except that the Maloofs could shut KJ out of the conversation. Passing on the chance to be proactive with the region at a major crossroads, City Hall may never get the chance to make a last bid later.

For now, the read that the Kings have nowhere to go is accurate, according to several people close to the situation. That has been the city’s biggest reason for optimism in the toughest of times, when talks turned ugly and personal, and it is never more true than in November 2013 in a twisted sort of way. Sacramento’s hopes to keep the NBA rest on every other place.

Seattle?

The obvious first option as plans for a new arena move forward with the support of local government and the private sector. But the point man on finding a replacement for the SuperSonics has made it clear he will bring in a team he owns, not a tenant for the building with someone else controlling the franchise. The Maloofs have said as an absolute, and through years of others making offers, that the Kings are not for sale.

Anaheim?

Yesterday’s news. There is no indication the city that nearly closed the deal at the end of the 2010-11 season is still in play. Either that or the new attempt is the most stealth bid in the history of the world.

Virginia Beach?

A city with no arena, no firm arena financing plan, no proof from other sports it can support a major-league franchise, a small market, and the eventual need for NBA realignment. Yeah, that’ll happen. Virginia Beach does have the credibility of Comcast Spectacor as the major backer of the proposed building, but we’re years away from the doors opening. Seattle at least has KeyArena as temporary housing until its arena would open.

Sacramento leaders appear unmoved by any outsider, which is understandable and, more importantly, the reason for optimism. Along the same lines, there is no indication of progress on retrofitting Sleep Train Arena, the scenario the Maloofs inexplicably put into play after pulling out of the verbal agreement on the planned facility a few miles away, following years of the owners saying renovating the current building would not work.

Everything changes, of course, if the Maloofs pull a 180 and decide to sell. But there is no clear signal that is a possibility and so the California capital city, fans who want this team but not this ownership group, and a interested suitors around North America must deal in the reality of today. Including the part about the growing belief from several camps that the Kings will be in Sleep Train at least next season and that Sacramento is still in the game.

SCoop is looking at the pieces on the board and working backwards to support his story. A story written apparently to jazz up the die hards and perhaps help ticket sales that have flat lined.

If you consider that:

The Maloofs have already tried to move the team from Sacramento.
Three weeks into the season, attendance has become a Major issue.
Grant is freaking out right now. Flat out said nobody is coming to games, team is a mess other cities are pushing hard, and if the kings don't start winning right now, he is worried there might not be a team here in a season or two. His words not mine.

When you line those facts up with Scoops story, the notion that the Maloofs might play several seasons here is a huge stretch.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SCoop is looking at the pieces on the board and working backwards to support his story. A story written apparently to jazz up the die hards and perhaps help ticket sales that have flat lined.

If you consider that:

Grant is freaking out right now. Flat out said nobody is coming to games, team is a mess other cities are pushing hard, and if the kings don't start winning right now, he is worried there might not be a team here in a season or two. His words not mine.

When you line those facts up with Scoops story, the notion that the Maloofs might play several seasons here is a huge stretch.
You're citing Napear as proof of something related to the Kings?? I call shenanigans.

Sleep Train signed a contract with the Maloofs for naming rights to the arena. I'm pretty sure they would not have done so without some assurance that every effort would be made to keep the Kings here.

You can choose to see the glass half-empty with a chip in the side that will cut your lip and most likely give you blood poisoning so that you die. I, and a lot of other Kings fans, aren't quite to that point yet.

If you consider that:

Why would SHC write anything to help the Maloofs or bolster the fans? He writes for a far bigger audience these days and has almost nothing to do with Sacramento anymore, let alone the Kings. You are ascribing motives to SHC that has no basis in facts or reality.

Everyone knows the threat of losing the team is real and SHC's story supports that. All he's actually saying is there appears to be no realistic rumors that anything is happening on that front for now, that a move in the imminent future doesn't appear to be in the works. It changes nothing really.

First, Scott is a huge fan of Sacramento the city. When he wrote several more seasons, it became clear to me that he’s advocating for the city and the local fans … not the owners.

The fact is that if a lot more fans don’t start coming to most of the games, the team is a lock to move no matter how enticing the other options.

NBA attendance includes everybody in the building (which includes a lot of comp tickets) and the folks that paid but chose not to attend …(often plus numbers that seem to be just added in)

The Kings have announced crowds of 12,000 or less for several games. In reality, there are like 8,000 people at the games … and there are unpaid comps among them. The best case is that 4,000 fans paid for Kings tickets but simply don’t want to go after three weeks. And that’s not a very good case. The paid attendance is extremely low.

The Maloofs have made this franchise the Clippers of old, they trashed this city publicly last spring, and most locals are indifferent due to the constant losing and possibility of relocation.

The case for the Kings staying is that the Maloofs can’t make up their mind and will wait for the perfect deal in the right market. I thought they’d wait 2 seasons. These attendance figures could really move up their timeline and prohibit the NBA from throwing up road blocks.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
First, Scott is a huge fan of Sacramento the city. When he wrote several more seasons, it became clear to me that he’s advocating for the city and the local fans … not the owners.

The fact is that if a lot more fans don’t start coming to most of the games, the team is a lock to move no matter how enticing the other options.

NBA attendance includes everybody in the building (which includes a lot of comp tickets) and the folks that paid but chose not to attend …(often plus numbers that seem to be just added in)

The Kings have announced crowds of 12,000 or less for several games. In reality, there are like 8,000 people at the games … and there are unpaid comps among them. The best case is that 4,000 fans paid for Kings tickets but simply don’t want to go after three weeks. And that’s not a very good case. The paid attendance is extremely low.

The Maloofs have made this franchise the Clippers of old, they trashed this city publicly last spring, and most locals are indifferent due to the constant losing and possibility of relocation.

The case for the Kings staying is that the Maloofs can’t make up their mind and will wait for the perfect deal in the right market. I thought they’d wait 2 seasons. These attendance figures could really move up their timeline and prohibit the NBA from throwing up road blocks.
So what your saying, is that if the Maloofs go to the relocation committee and ask to move the team because of low attendance, and therefore, lack of fan support, the committee looks at the team, which is last in its division, last in the league, last in offense, last in defense, and says, you know what, your right. We don't care that you have totally destroyed your own team. We want to reward you with another city and a new arena. Those rascalily fans should still come to the games despite the fact that the team you built stinks to high heaven. We don't care that you had a spanking new arena deal all signed and delivered, and you blew it up. We don't care that you mislead the committee and the league about your true intentions.

What Cooper wrote could be true, or what you think could be true. But one is just as good an observation as the other, and both are subject to the known facts, which I think tend to support Cooper. So if you want to interpret everything as negative, which you usually do, go ahead. My problem with you is, you just try to damm hard. Almost as though you have an agenda of some kind. Maybe not, but he who protests the most!

So what your saying, is that if the Maloofs go to the relocation committee and ask to move the team because of low attendance, and therefore, lack of fan support, the committee looks at the team, which is last in its division, last in the league, last in offense, last in defense, and says, you know what, your right. We don't care that you have totally destroyed your own team. We want to reward you with another city and a new arena. Those rascalily fans should still come to the games despite the fact that the team you built stinks to high heaven. We don't care that you had a spanking new arena deal all signed and delivered, and you blew it up. We don't care that you mislead the committee and the league about your true intentions.

What Cooper wrote could be true, or what you think could be true. But one is just as good an observation as the other, and both are subject to the known facts, which I think tend to support Cooper. So if you want to interpret everything as negative, which you usually do, go ahead. My problem with you is, you just try to damm hard. Almost as though you have an agenda of some kind. Maybe not, but he who protests the most!
YEP.

Plus, where are they going? Not V Beach. Not Seattle...they aren't selling. Anaheim was shot down. If they had any interest in KC, they would be there right now. Looks like there is one tiny detail missing from the allegations......

Thank you Bajaden. Since the city has more than one potential buyer who wants to keep the Kings in Sacramento, I think its just as realistic to presume their is heavy pressure on the Maloofs to sell to such a buyer. A buyer more than willing to sign off on a new arena deal.

I'm sorry, Larry David, because I respect your knowledge, but you are depressingly negative. You never see anything remotely positive. I feel like you would actually be very happy to see Sacramento lose the Kings, just so you could tell us that you "predicted" it all along. So you could revel in your "being right."

Maybe we will lose the Kings. So do Sacramento Kings fans a favor, if it does happen. Don't come back here to tell us, "I told you so." We'll be crushed enough without having to listen to people who want to rub our noses in it or dance on the grave of our Kings. Their our team until the day they officially aren't anymore. And may that day never cone.

Pointing out the flaw in the logic of a story posted and being negative just to be negative are not the same thing.

A lot of fans here think the NBA owners will force the franchise to stay based upon last spring. I'm saying that nobody coming to games is a big change that alters the Maloofs timeline and whether the NBA owners think the Maloofs have wrecked this market for a long time.

Last edited:
Pointing out the flaw in the logic of a story posted and being negative just to be negative are not the same thing.

A lot of fans here think the NBA owners will force the franchise to stay based upon last spring. I'm saying that nobody coming to games is a big change that alters the Maloofs timeline and whether the NBA owners think the Maloofs have wrecked this market for a long time.
Or the NBA could say last year we were here helping and you had better attendance. This year we let you do the work and it goes down so your the problem.

Said this before... The Maloofs are not just a Sacramento problem.

They are an NBA problem. The NBA has done something unprecedented here and has documented proof of them poisoning the NBA's product in this market. So it doesn't make business sense for the NBA to allow them a shot at another city. It's been clear to Stern and the BOG where the Maloofs heart truly lies. It's been Anaheim. So what is the point of allowing them to move to KC, VB, etc? They will not be committed to any market except the one they really want. So it really is a question of moving a problem from one city to another. Why would they want them to ruin another market? They are more focused on "encouraging" the Maloofs to either fully commit to their market in Sac or sell. The messages are there from Stern if you are listening to his comments.

Said this before... The Maloofs are not just a Sacramento problem.

They are an NBA problem. The NBA has done something unprecedented here and has documented proof of them poisoning the NBA's product in this market. So it doesn't make business sense for the NBA to allow them a shot at another city. It's been clear to Stern and the BOG where the Maloofs heart truly lies. It's been Anaheim. So what is the point of allowing them to move to KC, VB, etc? They will not be committed to any market except the one they really want. So it really is a question of moving a problem from one city to another. Why would they want them to ruin another market? They are more focused on "encouraging" the Maloofs to either fully commit to their market in Sac or sell. The messages are there from Stern if you are listening to his comments.
I agree with this. The NBA knows the Maloofs are the problem, at this point, not the Maloofs. If there are potential buyers for the team that say they can and want to make the team work in Sacramento, and the city offered a plan and money for a new arena, what excuse do the Maloofs really have? Stern's comments always support Sacramento as a great NBA city.

But does any of that matter if the Maloofs don't have a viable relocation option?