Kings after OG

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
OG could not be a more seamless fit, but I'm going to be furious if Keegan is included in any trade this summer. Anything without Keegan? Eh, I might complain a bit, but as long as you're adding to Fox/Domas/Keegan, it'll probably end up being okay.
If the Wiz want the farm for Beal, and the Raps want the farm for OG? Nah. Siakam? Heck yeah. Jaylen Brown? Heck yeah. It's reasonable to expect Beal and OG are gettable without Keegan. Beal has more proven years of star production and OG has other parts of his game that don't show up in the pure numbers but this is a player one step above Barnes from the looks of it. Not a proven franchise guy. If Ujiri wants franchise package material good luck, Filler/Davion/future picks has to do it. If a team at the top of the draft board this year is dumb enough to send a top pick (looking at you Blazers!) for him, well they win the deal and look like morons down the line potentially.

Yeah, what to watch for on an OG deal is he might have told TOR that he's 100% leaving next summer. So they might not have a ton of leverage if they know they aren't going to resign him.

So in a way, this SHOULD be like his FA year where if we trade for him, we know he's going to resign. Potentially mighty scary with Domas/Monk/OG all UFA after next season, but I think we'd be favorites to keep everyone on board.

What I would love about this deal too is it would get Monk in the starting LU.

Fox
Monk
Keegan
OG
Domas

That's incredibly dynamic of a core if I've ever seen one. Perfectly complimentary in basically every facet with real upside to develop into a title team.

This is more my speed than Beal. Having said that, I don’t really know what a deal looks like. If its Huerter, Davion, 24 and one more pick I would likely probably pull the trigger. That’s essentially 4 first rounders for a guy on a short term deal
The other thing is that it's a deal that would actually HELP the Raptors. They need shooting around Barnes and Siakam. They'd get a PG and a shooter AND future capital. Them working out a deal with most other teams only makes sense as a 1 to 1 star for star trade which does what for the Raps? Or with them just getting rebuild stuff which sets them back now anyway so might as well trade Siakam while they're at it. Kings fans know all too well tugging in two different directions is a waste of time. Rebuild or don't.

If we were to get OG for a Davion Huerter package we would still have 20 plus mil in cap space too. Either bring Barnes off the bench or split that up amount a couple guys
Davion-Huerter-24 seems incredibly reasonable for OG on an expiring contract. Consolidates our guard strength into an elite defensive wing just entering his prime.

That's a pretty similar deal to what the Nuggets did a few years back for Aaron Gordon. Only Huerter is much better than Harris was at the time, a prospect and a FRP.

The other thing is that it's a deal that would actually HELP the Raptors. They need shooting around Barnes and Siakam. They'd get a PG and a shooter AND future capital. Them working out a deal with most other teams only makes sense as a 1 to 1 star for star trade which does what for the Raps? Or with them just getting rebuild stuff which sets them back now anyway so might as well trade Siakam while they're at it. Kings fans know all too well tugging in two different directions is a waste of time. Rebuild or don't.
Huerter would be incredible working off Siakam and Barnes. I think you could run a ton of the same actions from the Domas-Huerter DHO with Siakam. And that's just a far more standard team construction where you're giving your wings an actual elite spacer to open up the floor.

This is more my speed than Beal. Having said that, I don’t really know what a deal looks like. If its Huerter, Davion, 24 and one more pick I would likely probably pull the trigger. That’s essentially 4 first rounders for a guy on a short term deal
Agreed. Anunoby is a much, much less risky fit for us…
  • We already have two guys that will have the ball in their hands a good amount. Anunoby has had a USG% of 19-21% over the past 3 seasons. Beal has been between 29-34% the past 3 seasons.
  • Our biggest weakness is defense. Anunoby is an elite defender while Beal has been below average.
  • Our forward depth is questionable while our guard depth is strong. Anunoby is a forward while Beal is a guard.
  • Our core will be 23-27 at the start of next season. Anunoby will be 26 while Beal will be 30.
  • Monte has talked about maintaining cap flexibility. Anunoby is expiring after next season (PO technically) and Beal is making ~$208 mil over the next 4 seasons (avg of $52 mil per year)

By going after someone like Anunoby over Beal, you also allow Murray the room to grow into that long term secondary scorer as well.

My offer has been Holmes, Mitchell, #24, and a 2026-28 SAC 1st (Unprotected) for Anunoby. I’d like to keep Huerter while trading for Anunoby if possible. He’s still a solid starting SG and his chemistry with Sabonis is great to have.

Huerter would be incredible working off Siakam and Barnes. I think you could run a ton of the same actions from the Domas-Huerter DHO with Siakam. And that's just a far more standard team construction where you're giving your wings an actual elite spacer to open up the floor.
Agreed. This also really helps the Kings because then Monk could step into the starting role perhaps and put to rest any questions about his future. The only thing is it really changes the dynamic of the team in the regular season. Doesn't matter though, this team isn't built for actual playoff ball yet. Monte clearly saw that as we all did.

• We already have two guys that will have the ball in their hands a good amount. Anunoby has had a USG% of 19-21% over the past 3 seasons. Beal has been between 29-34% the past 3 seasons.
  • Our biggest weakness is defense. Anunoby is an elite defender while Beal has been below average.
  • Our forward depth is questionable while our guard depth is strong. Anunoby is a forward while Beal is a guard.
  • Our core will be 23-27 at the start of next season. Anunoby will be 26 while Beal will be 30.
  • Monte has talked about maintaining cap flexibility. Anunoby is expiring after next season (PO technically) and Beal is making ~$208 mil over the next 4 seasons (avg of $52 mil per year)

By going after someone like Anunoby over Beal, you also allow Murray the room to grow into that long term secondary scorer as well.
I agree and I disagree, on paper Beal is the much easier and better fit. The Kings need a usage guy to take the pressure off of Fox. Fox had a rare fully healthy season, UNTIL that hammer came down at the worst time and bye bye went any chance the Kings had against a Warriors team that indeed, wasn't the measuring stick anyway. However, I think OG could pick up the slack at times and add athletic ability the Kings don't otherwise have which does help.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think OG fits a more immediate need than Beal but I'd also feel a lot better about Beal with a player like OG on our roster.

I really don't want to lose Keegan though.

I am not exactly "run it back" but I do feel more like tinkering than another huge swing this offseason. I trust Monte's judgement though.

The expiring contract is a bit scary though. Kind of gives us a one-year window before 3/5 of the core all wants a big raise.
The Kings are on the same path with Davion/Monk/Barnes anyway. Monte by going all in around Fox after the Kings wasted the majority of his development years puts Monte on a tight schedule. He's obviously well aware of it.

I think OG fits a more immediate need than Beal but I'd also feel a lot better about Beal with a player like OG on our roster.

I really don't want to lose Keegan though.

I am not exactly "run it back" but I do feel more like tinkering than another huge swing this offseason. I trust Monte's judgement though.
I don't see Keegan being involved in deals for Beal/OG. Maybe OG because the Raptors always seem to have these unrealistic value of their own players.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't see Keegan being involved in deals for Beal/OG. Maybe OG because the Raptors always seem to have these unrealistic value of their own players.
if we were somehow trying to get both he'd almost have to be.

I definitely see the Raptors demanding more for OG than Washington/Beal who seem equally concerned about just getting off the contract.

if we were somehow trying to get both he'd almost have to be.

I definitely see the Raptors demanding more for OG than Washington/Beal who seem equally concerned about just getting off the contract.
Both? Is that a rumor? I don't think the Kings can get both. Not unless their values are well below expectations. I would think both teams would be looking at those future 1st's and the Huerter deal as it is already kind of limits things. That's probably the hold up in any deals now. Monte and his staff seem to be pretty smart so maybe they do one of those mega multi-team deals but I think the path to a simple 1 to 1 team trade for someone is right there. Regardless of rumors that a "path isn't there". Haha, yeah it is, like literally rarely so.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
OG’s a Klutch sports guy. De’Aaron is as well. I think there’s some serious smoke here.

Also given that De’Aaron has taken Keegan under his wing unlike any other player we’ve had on this roster before, I don’t think we’d dare move him for OG or Beal.

Rich Paul doesn’t play.

My offer has been Holmes, Mitchell, #24, and a 2026-28 SAC 1st (Unprotected) for Anunoby. I’d like to keep Huerter while trading for Anunoby if possible. He’s still a solid starting SG and his chemistry with Sabonis is great to have.

Don't think this is good enough. My guess is TOR doesn't want to fully reset and getting an above-average starter in Huerter that perfectly compliments there two current franchise pillars (Barnes/Siakam) while getting some real future value Davion and a pick would make more sense to me. They telegraphed last trade deadline when they sent a FRP and 2 2nds for Poeltl. They aren't looking to reset, they're looking to retool.

FVV?
Huerter
Barnes
Siakam
Poeltl

That looks incredibly solid to me. With Davion, 24, 13 as their future value pieces.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Both? Is that a rumor? I don't think the Kings can get both. Not unless their values are well below expectations. I would think both teams would be looking at those future 1st's and the Huerter deal as it is already kind of limits things. That's probably the hold up in any deals now. Monte and his staff seem to be pretty smart so maybe they do one of those mega multi-team deals but I think the path to a simple 1 to 1 team trade for someone is right there. Regardless of rumors that a "path isn't there". Haha, yeah it is, like literally rarely so.
I don't think both is an option but I am not nearly as high on Beal as you are but OG would offset the defensive concerns I have (still not sure about age/injuries/contract)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Don't think this is good enough. My guess is TOR doesn't want to fully reset and getting an above-average starter in Huerter that perfectly compliments there two current franchise pillars (Barnes/Siakam) while getting some real future value Davion and a pick would make more sense to me. They telegraphed last trade deadline when they sent a FRP and 2 2nds for Poeltl. They aren't looking to reset, they're looking to retool.
Also part of the reason a Barnes SnT might not be out of the question for an OG deal. Gives them another 6’8” forward (their favorite archetype in the world) who can space the floor for Scotty and Pascal.