Kings acquire Hilton Armstrong

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

"The Hornets have agreed to trade Hilton Armstrong to the Kings, an Eastern Conference exec with knowledge of deal says. 12 minutes ago from web

The Hornets have traded forward Hilton Armstrong and cash to Sacramento for a future conditional second rounder, sources tell Y! Sports. 2 minutes ago from web

Obviously, the move is a salary dump on Armstrong's $2.8 million salary. This gets Hornets within $500K of luxury tax threshold. "

EDIT: Here's the official press release from the Kings:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, January 11, 2010

KINGS ACQUIRE HILTON ARMSTRONG

SACRAMENTO, CA ---- The Sacramento Kings today acquired the services of center-forward Hilton Armstrong in a trade with the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for a conditional 2016 second round pick and cash considerations, according to Kings’ President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie.

“We’re looking forward to having Hilton join the team,” explained Petrie. “He gives us an athletic player who can play the four and five positions. We think he can come in and contribute and we’re looking forward to watching him play.”

Armstrong, who is currently in his fourth NBA season, is averaging 2.8 points (.380 FGs, .464 FTs) and 3.4 rebounds per game for the Hornets through 18 outings. He has amassed career averages of 3.6 points (.513 FGs, .605 FTs) and 2.7 rebounds per game through 209 contests.

Selected as the 12th overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft by New Orleans, Armstrong enjoyed a four-year career at the University of Connecticut and was named Big East Defensive Player of the Year as a senior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is filler for possible trades. Geoff may be "fixin" to be active here in the next month.
To include Hilton in a trade of more then one person, he would have to wait 30days, right? My thinking is that this fills a need, as we have long since given up on Sean May.

To include Hilton in a trade of more then one person, he would have to wait 30days, right? My thinking is that this fills a need, as we have long since given up on Sean May.
That could be very true, but if he's as bad as everyone says, then what need is it filling? Is he better than Sean May?

And the deadline is the 18th correct? That would be over 30 days from now, so it's a possibility. If someone wants to get a deal done they wait until right near the trade deadline.

But another big body for the Kings doesn't hurt anything right now.

It's not flashy, but a decent move. I actually wanted the Kings to draft Hilton in 2006.

Kings get cash and don't give up any existing pieces that can be used for another deal before the deadline.

At the very least, maybe Hilton can rebound the basketball and alter/block a few shots.

Bah!

This is unimaginative and disappointing. Considering we were the one of the only spots in the league where a team could stash a player and avoid the luxury tax you'd think we could exercise a little more leverage.

Maybe the expectations were too high after the Maynor trade. There is a pretty big difference between absorbing a 6.5M salary on a team that's even further over the luxury tax.

A

AriesMar27

way to go geoff, another great trade... so this means we can officially write off any chances of us trading for okafor.... there is still hope for dalembert or some other defensive big man. chandler is injured, maybe camby? doubt it though....

hilton is still pretty young though, he just turned 25 in november... well, young for a vet.

I think this pretty much precludes the chance of Okafer being moved. Can't believe we didn't force the Hornets into giving US a pick. We're doing them a favor aren't we? Once they get under the tax threshold, instead of paying $3M in taxes, they'll get a chuck of the $4.4M tax refund/rebate. That's a $7M difference, and we're giving them a condition pick? wtf?

A

AriesMar27

At least he's not undersized.

And who knows? Maybe he'll be inspired by our hard working kids and becomes useful....

didnt we say the same thing about sean may? that didnt workout too well... hilton is straight garbage. 2.8/3.4/0.4 blk.... garbage... might as well give those minutes to brockman.

I think this pretty much precludes the chance of Okafer being moved. Can't believe we didn't force the Hornets into giving US a pick. We're doing them a favor aren't we? Once they get under the tax threshold, instead of paying $3M in taxes, they'll get a chuck of the $4.4M tax refund/rebate. That's a $7M difference, and we're giving them a condition pick? wtf?
you almost have to wonder if there is more to the story. Unless Petrie actually thinks Hilton Armstrong is good, this makes little sense.

That's a $7M difference, and we're giving them a condition pick? wtf?
The conditional pick may be for a condition that will never be met and the cash probably pays his remaining salary, so while we're not getting anything other than a big body for the rest of the season, I doubt we're giving up anything other than the opportunity to use that space for something else.

piksi

Hall of Famer
way to go geoff, another great trade... so this means we can officially write off any chances of us trading for okafor.... there is still hope for dalembert or some other defensive big man. chandler is injured, maybe camby? doubt it though....

hilton is still pretty young though, he just turned 25 in november... well, young for a vet.
considering that Hornets are close to the cap now and that they have been winning - don't see them trading Okafor since he has been playing great defense.

Armstrong has more DNP-CD games than the games he played. Most of the games he played - it was garbage time. I watched his warmups where he couldn't stop Pedja from penetrating. He goes for every fake, he can't shoot, he makes worse decisions that JT. He misses layups.

I have to believe that Petrie did this trade for the cash. Why else would do such a pointless trade. The Hornets must be paying Armstrong's salary + a couple million. And we all know how cash strapped the franchise is, right now.

A

AriesMar27

considering that Hornets are close to the cap now and that they have been winning - don't see them trading Okafor since he has been playing great defense.

Armstrong has more DNP-CD games than the games he played. Most of the games he played - it was garbage time. I watched his warmups where he couldn't stop Pedja from penetrating. He goes for every fake, he can't shoot, he makes worse decisions that JT. He misses layups.

he's straight garbage.... i know... like i said in a previous post, we might as well give his minutes to brockman... bu lets hope for the best, or in his case... bare minimum...

Well they can't just give us a player and cash and not give ANYTHING in return. Unless I'm mistaken you can't do that due to the CBA. So we give them a conditional second round pick.

Why we did it, that's the big question. Is he really supposed to be our 12th guy on the bench as a better 12th option than May, and May will get waived?

Or, is he a filler piece for trades Geoff is lining up?

I can give you $1,432,000 reasons why they made this trade.
You can bet the Kings are getting the max cash for a trade– $3 million.
Armstrong makes $2.8 million this year. The Kings have 46 games to play. So roughly 56% of his salary is $1.568, which is approximately what the Kings owe him for the remainder of the season – assuming no buy out is reached.
Thus, the Hornets pay all of Armstrong’s salary to avoid the tax hit, and the Kings get almost $1.5 million to rent their cap space.
They probably could have got a better player for the cap space but that involves: (1) taking back bad contracts that run beyond this year; and/or (2) taking back less money.
The Kings elected to take the cash.