KING IN ARABIC

Hollinger was one on record for omitting Monk and gave his first place vote to a player who started 33 of 79 appearances.
Forgot about that. If I remember correctly, he defended it in the comments saying Monk was something like the classic score-first 6th man candidate, as if that was a bad thing, and as if Monk didn’t also lead the league in assists off the bench. Basura.

I ran the numbers and posted them somewhere earlier in this thread, I think. The Monk+starters lineup actually performed worse than those with Ellis or Huerter this year. Last season, though, the Monk lineup outperformed the Huerter lineup. Would be curious what is behind that, it certainly wasn’t what I expected.
Yeah, the per 100 possessions stats for Keon vs Monk this season, are quite interesting...

They were 5.5 points better with Keon on the floor per 100. They were 1.6 points worse with Monk.

Just on his defensive impact alone and what it does for Fox, I'm not sure how they could justify leaving Keon out of lineup. He had more deflections than Monk in half the minutes. When Ellis was in the rotation after getting converted to a regular contract, they were ranked 3rd in defense and 13th in offense. For the season, the Kings were ranked 14th in defense and 13 in offense.

I just don't see a Fox - Monk starting lineup working for a team hoping to move up in the west

I
Yeah, the per 100 possessions stats for Keon vs Monk this season, are quite interesting...

They were 5.5 points better with Keon on the floor per 100. They were 1.6 points worse with Monk.

Just on his defensive impact alone and what it does for Fox, I'm not sure how they could justify leaving Keon out of lineup. He had more deflections than Monk in half the minutes. When Ellis was in the rotation after getting converted to a regular contract, they were ranked 3rd in defense and 13th in offense. For the season, the Kings were ranked 14th in defense and 13 in offense.

I just don't see a Fox - Monk starting lineup working for a team hoping to move up in the west
In Brown’s presser he said that our offensive rating would have been 7th if we shot last years percentage from the foul line (79 percent) if we can get back to that and maintain a top 10 defense all year maybe we get to 50 wins or more

I

In Brown’s presser he said that our offensive rating would have been 7th if we shot last years percentage from the foul line (79 percent) if we can get back to that and maintain a top 10 defense all year maybe we get to 50 wins or more
I'm convinced that they would have been a 50+ win team, had Keon been in the starting lineup most of the season. His defense changes things significantly. More so than what other player's offense does, in terms of differential

Trying to be positive, does this possibly help the team keep Monk? Would winning this award potentially drove his stock up a bit?
That doesnt feel like a positive too much bc we got him at a huge discount and he deserves whatever he can get and thinks is right for him

But no I don't think the award would change the opinion of any professional FO. Maybe would sway some meddlesome owner out there who no longer wants to open the wallet, but idk if that scenario even exists anywhere right now

Also for those who wrote "it's better that he didn't win the award so teams won't offer him more money" I think it's kind of worse because he feel that his accomplishments are not recognized playing for the Kings and he could go somewhere else even playing as a 6th month to make it this time.
I also think he was robbed, Reid had a good finish of the season as a starter, his numbers as a 6th man weren't that impressive but Minnesota finishing 3rd in the West somehow made people vote for him. So it was both Monk and KAT injuries that made Reid win the award at the end.

The NBA uses success and it's weight very, very liberally.
Except for when the KINGS were the ones succeeding as a top 3 seed, as they were last season. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Swipa didn’t get voted into last seasons all-star game and only got in via injury replacement.

Minny was a bottom tier seed last season and when they are having a great season this season like the KINGS did last year — the rules didn’t apply the same. I mean, it’s not like Minny is a pillar of franchise success, either.

Quite honestly, I’m far past tired of the narrative of small market or perennial losing teams not getting or deserving awards like this. Or respect from the officials and/or league. If like 6 or 7 franchises in the big markets are all that really matters to the NBA — then definitely never expand again then save everybody a lot of time and frustration by contracting at least half of the 30 teams down to the only ones that matter.

Seriously, of the major sports leagues in North America, the NBA is by far the worst in terms marketing and supporting ALL their teams. Even in MLB where there isn’t even a salary cap, you have smaller market, less frequently successful franchises able to compete and even win championships from time to time. And the marquee players from the likes of Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Pittsburg, Toronto, etc, don’t get hosed and left out of all-star events and regular season awards.

Last edited:
Last year I recommend the Kings to sign Reid but of course he quickly resign with the Wolves lol. NO chance. And now he is awarded the 6th Man of the Year. He's the kind of player that the Kings need, not Barnes! He has the length, can play D, rebound, block and shoot.

Is defense ever mentioned as a consideration for a 6th man award? If it is, Naz Reid is a more effective defender than Monk.

Everybody keeps citing the offensive stats. It is possible that this award should go deeper than that

I really don’t know how this happened. I’m sitting here so effing furious. I mean, we all know the kings never get respect but come on seriously? A man who is so deserving of this title for all his hard work his numbers, his positivity and just everything that he’s done for the Sacramento Kings Did not make it. I didn’t know what was going on as I was driving home from my doctors appointment and caught the butt of a story and they never went back. I just walked in the door and saw this. This sucks! Malik you are our king our sixth man . Truly sorry you got denied so effing unfair.

Im really am just so effn pissed that he got snubbed

Last edited:
Naz is a good player and has a credible argument for the award. And I don’t blame Hollinger. Monk shot 35% from 3. Naz shot significantly better. Any analytics guy is going to have a problem with Monk’s efficiency.

But it is hard for those that don’t watch the Kings to understand how much impact Monk has on the offense and how he’s only one of 3 legit playmakers on the team. I’m a huge Monk fan (and I also wanted the Kings to sign Naz Reid last offseason). My biggest offseason addition hope this year is Monk.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Is defense ever mentioned as a consideration for a 6th man award? If it is, Naz Reid is a more effective defender than Monk.

Everybody keeps citing the offensive stats. It is possible that this award should go deeper than that
If that was the case in regards to defense, Fox would be a slam dunk for one of the all-nba teams as one of the most effective 2 way guys.

I doubt that defense is a consideration given the last ten years the winners are not exactly known for thei defense: Brogdon, Hero, Clarkson, Montreal Harrell, Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford Eric Gordon .

I doubt that defense is a consideration given the last ten years the winners are not exactly known for thei defense: Brogdon, Hero, Clarkson, Montreal Harrell, Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford Eric Gordon .
Should defense be part of the consideration though? Perhaps this time it was, if we do a comparison between Reid and Monk

I

That's a bit selective of him IMO. The issue wasn't missing the free throws as much as it was getting less of them. The prior season the Kings top 3 options in FTA's were Fox, Domas, and Barnes, all of them averaged more than 5-6 per game which is actually kind of low anyway. This season number 3 was Monk who only shot 2.8 per game. The percentages will tend to tick down the less you shoot on average because that 0.2 more or less in makes is a bigger difference for someone shooting 2 free throws per game than someone shooting 9 a game. The Kings were looking for spray 3's, not contact, those results basically panned out the way you'd expect. Free throws are rhythmic just like anything else in BBall, inconsistency in getting looks results in inconsistency in result when you do.

That's a bit selective of him IMO. The issue wasn't missing the free throws as much as it was getting less of them. The prior season the Kings top 3 options in FTA's were Fox, Domas, and Barnes, all of them averaged more than 5-6 per game which is actually kind of low anyway. This season number 3 was Monk who only shot 2.8 per game. The percentages will tend to tick down the less you shoot on average because that 0.2 more or less in makes is a bigger difference for someone shooting 2 free throws per game than someone shooting 9 a game. The Kings were looking for spray 3's, not contact, those results basically panned out the way you'd expect. Free throws are rhythmic just like anything else in BBall, inconsistency in getting looks results in inconsistency in result when you do.
fair but I’d still bet that being the worst free throw shooting team in the league negatively impacted our rating and our win column. Even if it was a couple spots and a win or two, pretty important stuff. This especially true for teams built around shooting.

It's not a choice of letting him leave. Kings can offer him the early bird contract or a 1 year contract at lower salary then give him a bigger one or he can sign a bigger contract if one is out there.

I just hope he doesn't Bonzi himself, turn down the Kings offers then then the Kings move on and make moves only to have the other teams never make an offer. Now he's left taking a mid level.
I’m confused because of the way we got Monk but only signing him for a 2 year contract we do not have any early bird rights??? I understood it had to be 3??

Keith Smith from Spotrac was on the Drive Guys today and doubled down on saying we can do a 1 and 1 deal with a player option in year two using early bird rights and then sign him to a new deal using full bird rights after the opt out. This guy’s whole job is understanding the CBA and salary related stuff, does he know something we don’t or is he just flat out wrong? He starts talking about it at around 250ish