KING IN ARABIC

Monk is the perfect 6th man. You can plug him in with bench guys and he can get you buckets or run a good PNR game. He thrives when he is the main ball handler and the focal point of the offense.

However, as your stats indicate, I’m not so sure it is ideal to have him as a starter because the ball definitely gets more sticky when Monk is in the game.

Having said that, I’d rather have Monk as a starter and have the coaches figure out how to make it work if the means he stays a King vs losing him altogether. I just think his 6th man role where he plays starter minutes is ideal for what he brings.

He is part of the core whether he is starting the game or coming off the bench.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Look, we never know 100%. But he's loved here, he loves it here. His buddy is here. He has a great rapport with the coach and staff.

Mayyyybeeee he gets 90-100MM somewhere else (Big maybe) but that team is going to suck (except possibly the Magic).

I don't make anywhere near what these guys make but I have given up more lucrative opportunities for family time, location, etc. We all tend to look at these decisions as a binary who is offering the biggest check and role. It's life-changing money, no matter what, you might as well be happy along the way.

The two-year deal may have actually saved us from ourselves. If we paid him 25MM+ as a mid-level team...ouch.
I would easily turn down 10m for a happier situation in the prime of my life but I think it's an ego/competition thing to have the high salary.

Many of these guys are happy to play golf for 100k a hole whereas every penny I had would go into a Vanguard fund and my great great great grandkids would be set for life assuming we don't go extinct.

I’m seeing some talk that the Kings should promise Monk a starting job to convince him to stay. Is that a good idea?
Yes, convincing your best players to stay is a good idea. Even if whatever stats suggest his fit in the lineup may not be great, he's still a superior talent and player to anyone else they have in the backcourt not named De'Aaron.

If he'll indeed take a tad less to stick around here with De'Aaron in a starters role, then it's up to the coaching staff to find a way to make it work. Unless they believe they can find someone better and actually get that player.

Having said that, I wish some players didn't get so caught up in a "starting" role. Which in this context really only means having your name announced at the beginning of the game and displayed on TV. Because Malik Monk and many others like him already play starters minutes (Malik does need to be bumped up a few more minutes), and often times more than the actual starter.

Some of these players need to ask themselves, "what's more important -- starting the game or finishing it?" Unless my memory is fading, I seem to recall MM finishing a lot of games here the past 2 seasons.

Promise the kid 30+ minutes per while convincing him that his participation in 5-6 of those minutes at the end of these games is more important than 5-6 minutes at the start.

I would easily turn down 10m for a happier situation in the prime of my life but I think it's an ego/competition thing to have the high salary.

Many of these guys are happy to play golf for 100k a hole whereas every penny I had would go into a Vanguard fund and my great great great grandkids would be set for life assuming we don't go extinct.
Well that's another thing, he loves golf and has many golf buddies he's made here. That's not nothing.

Yes, convincing your best players to stay is a good idea. Even if whatever stats suggest his fit in the lineup may not be great, he's still a superior talent and player to anyone else they have in the backcourt not named De'Aaron.

If he'll indeed take a tad less to stick around here with De'Aaron in a starters role, then it's up to the coaching staff to find a way to make it work. Unless they believe they can find someone better and actually get that player.

Having said that, I wish some players didn't get so caught up in a "starting" role. Which in this context really only means having your name announced at the beginning of the game and displayed on TV. Because Malik Monk and many others like him already play starters minutes (Malik does need to be bumped up a few more minutes), and often times more than the actual starter.

Some of these players need to ask themselves, "what's more important -- starting the game or finishing it?" Unless my memory is fading, I seem to recall MM finishing a lot of games here the past 2 seasons.

Promise the kid 30+ minutes per while convincing him that his participation in 5-6 of those minutes at the end of these games is more important than 5-6 minutes at the start.
the other thing Monk has to to consider is if the kings bring in an upgrade at the 4 (let’s say it was Siakam for arguments sake) is Monk in the closing lineup? Depends on what we need id say, could be with that type of lineup we need the defense of Keon more.

the other concern Monk might have is if no major changes are made and we end up at 46-49 wins next year, does his team friendly deal get shipped off to a destination not of his choice in a big splash move? Players are always at risk of being traded but that is another angle I’m sure his agent will present to him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
so the max the kings can offer monk is 19.5mil per year? Highly doubt any1 would pay over 20mil per year for monk, but with how teams have been overpaying players who knows.
Yeah I think with the notable exception of the Suns the new CBA has done a good job of spooking teams into trying to stay below the second apron so I’m not sure there’s going to be a ludicrous max offer thrown on the table for Monk when free agency hits. The Magic have to start budgeting for Franz’s extension and eventually Suggs’s and Paolo’s so I don’t know if they’re going to throw a nine figure deal at Malik like Kings fans are convinced they are.

so the max the kings can offer monk is 19.5mil per year? Highly doubt any1 would pay over 20mil per year for monk, but with how teams have been overpaying players who knows.
This is the biggest problem for the Kings. Everyone knows that 19.5 mil is the max we can offer, so someone with cap space is going to come in and offer 4 years at $90+mil and see if Monk bites.

I'm pretty sure that at least one team will offer Monk more than what the Kings can, so we are going to have to sit tight and see what he will chose.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Personally I still think he ends up taking the Bobby Portis special (a 1+1 that he can opt out of to sign a full Bird Rights deal next season).

Personally I still think he ends up taking the Bobby Portis special (a 1+1 that he can opt out of to sign a full Bird Rights deal next season).
I believe @pdxKingsFan looked into this earlier this season and if I remember right a 1 and 1 deal will not give us his full bird rights. Maybe he can clarify but think the deal has to be for a minimum of 2 years with no option.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I believe @pdxKingsFan looked into this earlier this season and if I remember right a 1 and 1 deal will not give us his full bird rights. Maybe he can clarify but think the deal has to be for a minimum of 2 years with no option.
A 1-and-1 deal would be fine. Bird kicks in after three years without changing teams via free agency. There's no restriction to whether the contracts are one 3-year deal or three 1-year deals, or whatever. Monk is already at 2 years, so one more year in any fashion is all we need.

There’s a limit on stringing together options, though, isn’t there? Like you couldn’t just offer to take on the risk and have a 1+3 years of player options?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You can't do early-Bird on a 1&1 so we could offer 12 million at most in year 1. That means you are paying 25m-30m in year 2 just to make it whole. To me that's sheer stupidity on our parts and malpractice with the new cap rules.

Give him 4 years of the early-Bird with the option at year 3.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
There’s a limit on stringing together options, though, isn’t there? Like you couldn’t just offer to take on the risk and have a 1+3 years of player options?
I think that's right, you can do something like an ETO followed by a player option (or the other way around?) to get two options, but I think that's the max.

A 1-and-1 deal would be fine. Bird kicks in after three years without changing teams via free agency. There's no restriction to whether the contracts are one 3-year deal or three 1-year deals, or whatever. Monk is already at 2 years, so one more year in any fashion is all we need.
I thought so too, it was even suggested by the guy from Spotrac but then I swear I read somewhere that early bird deals have to be for 2+ years and option years don’t count. I could just be off my rocker.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
You can't do early-Bird on a 1&1 so we could offer 12 million at most in year 1. That means you are paying 25m-30m in year 2 just to make it whole. To me that's sheer stupidity on our parts and malpractice with the new cap rules.

Give him 4 years of the early-Bird with the option at year 3.
Oh, yes, that's right, I wasn't thinking about that aspect. One year is enough to get Full Bird, but a contract using the Early Bird now would have to be 2 years minimum.

So the 1-and-1 would give Monk Bird Rights, but it couldn't be at the Early Bird contract level.

I wonder which category Malik falls into for the Spurs (also it’s hilarious that they apparently want Dejounte back now)
That or someone in particular is desperate to drive down Traes value. Which of course falls into the idea of 3 launching G's falling out of favor but still, the Hawks are going to ask a ton for Trae so like Monte did with Huerter. Act like you want Collins and then end up with Huerter lol.

I’m all in on offering Monk the most money possible (4/$80 million ish). I think he is very valuable as a creator on this Kings team. And maybe the Magic offer more money, a starting job, or the no state income tax is a deciding factor.

But Monk only shot 35% from 3 this year. And he’s not getting paid for his defense. So - I guess I’m not as worried as others about him resigning with the Kings. At the end of the day, I think it will make sense for both sides.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think the number is actually about 17.4 mil
It's 17.4 + 8% raises, so I think that comes out close to 19.5 if you average it over the 4 years (around 78 million total). If he opts out over 2 years the 2 year total with 8% is 36.192 mil.

So let's say he's looking at a 4/100 offer elsewhere - we'd have to make up 64 million in years 3 and 4, or 32million per year. That's dumb AF.

I think a team that pays him 25m per year is going to regret it long term. Love Monk. The stupidity of this contract situation though could be saving us from ourselves.

Last edited:
It's 17.4 + 8% raises, so I think that comes out close to 19.5 if you average it over the 4 years (around 78 million total). If he opts out over 2 years the 2 year total with 8% is 36.192 mil.

So let's say he's looking at a 4/100 offer elsewhere - we'd have to make up 64 million in years 3 and 4, or 32million per year. That's dumb AF.

I think a team that pays him 25m per year is going to regret it long term. Love Monk. The stupidity of this contract situation though could be saving us from ourselves.
I think someone is going to give him 21-22....and a starting job that he wants

It still really comes down to the Magic. Is he really going to take more money to go to Detroit? What about Ivey? Okc isn’t starting him. Doesn’t seem like a good pairing with IQ. Charlotte won’t have money if they sign Bridges. Spurs seem willing to be patient and want a bigger fish. Utah? Don’t love the fit with George. Sixers? I suppose but haven’t heard anything about them. The Magic are the only good fit. Do they want Klay or Monk. I personally feel like Monk plans on leaving, just not convinced the right spot opens up.

It still really comes down to the Magic. Is he really going to take more money to go to Detroit? What about Ivey? Okc isn’t starting him. Doesn’t seem like a good pairing with IQ. Charlotte won’t have money if they sign Bridges. Spurs seem willing to be patient and want a bigger fish. Utah? Don’t love the fit with George. Sixers? I suppose but haven’t heard anything about them. The Magic are the only good fit. Do they want Klay or Monk. I personally feel like Monk plans on leaving, just not convinced the right spot opens up.
You think he plans on leaving because he wants a new situation,...or just assumes he will get a big offer that is significantly more?