Kevin McHale: Mentally retarded?

Looks like the Beavis and Butt-head of NBA GM's made a trade.

I think Minny made out better: Mike Miller's a great shooter that gives them some solid veteran offense. Love gives them a true PF, but it remains to be seen how his athleticism will affect his game.

Memphis gets O.J. Mayo to add to their rookie Guard stable of Conley, Lowry, and Crittenton...now featuring no veterans! Jaric is awful and has a worse contract than Cardinal...Walker's out of shape...Buckner is...?

So while this is a crap-heavy trade, it appears Minny made out better.

As for Chris Wallace...Ladies and gentlemen, we might have found a taker for Kenny Thomas :p

I think Memphis got destoyed in this trade. Mike Miller is a very nice player.
It's funny, I think both teams actually got destroyed, which is what you'd expect with a McHale/Wallace trade.

For Memphis, I think they got the best player in the trade with OJ Mayo. That may be debatable and Love may turn out to be better, but still -- if you're going to gamble it's at least the right kind of gamble. But to give up your main trade asset (Miller) as well as to take on Jaric's contract? That's pretty horrible value when the difference between Mayo and Love isn't so clear cut. But if Mayo turns out to be better than Love, people will forget all the other stuff and it will look like a pretty good trade. Conley/Mayo/Gay has the makings of a really exciting backcourt.

Meanwhile, this makes ZERO sense for Minnesota. Zero zero zero. What in the heck does a rebuilding team need Mike Miller for? He's a fine player, but he's not the type of player you take on when you're rebuilding. Maybe they anticipate dealing him at the deadline to a contending team who needs the shooting, so ok, I'll reserve judgment there.

But more importantly, how could McHale possibly think Love and Jefferson makes sense as a front line?? They are going to get DESTROYED defensively. Just destroyed. A 6'9" power forward and a 6'10" center, neither of whom can get off the floor and are both slow? I would love to see them go up against the new Raptors. Bosh and O'Neal might combine for 90 points.

Sure, they could be a good offensive combination, but how well is Randolph and Curry working out for the Knicks? Minnesota's combo is basically just a slightly better version of that.

Last edited:
I actually think Memphis will be solid team next season.They just signed Marc Gasol,Pau's younger brother.So they're lineup should be Crittenton,Jaric,Gay,Walker and Milicic.They have Brown,Gasol,Buckner,and this PF(can't remember his name).No way they could reach the playoffs,but I think they are going to be much better team than last year.

I actually think Memphis will be solid team next season.They just signed Marc Gasol,Pau's younger brother.So they're lineup should be Crittenton,Jaric,Gay,Walker and Milicic.They have Brown,Gasol,Buckner,and this PF(can't remember his name).No way they could reach the playoffs,but I think they are going to be much better team than last year.

yes. they have done an excellent job of assembling overrated name-recognition only players who have already been cast off by quality teams. memphis is officially the county dump of the nba. big move for next season: saving money by seating fans in couches they find at the side of the road.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
No way that's their starting lineup. Crittenton is third in their PG depth chart behind Conley and Lowry. Conley is the starter as long as he's healthy. They did not just trade for Mayo so they can put him on the bench and start Jaric. Jaric is just salary filler and doesn't really have a role on this team. Mayo is your starting SG next year. Gay is SF, Milicic is probably C and I guess Walker might be starting pF by default, but he'll only be in Memphis for one season so it makes more sense for them to start Arthur as soon as he's ready and move Walker into a bench scoring role.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
No way that's their starting lineup. Crittenton is third in their PG depth chart behind Conley and Lowry. Conley is the starter as long as he's healthy. They did not just trade for Mayo so they can put him on the bench and start Jaric. Jaric is just salary filler and doesn't really have a role on this team. Mayo is your starting SG next year. Gay is SF, Milicic is probably C and I guess Walker might be starting pF by default, but he'll only be in Memphis for one season so it makes more sense for them to start Arthur as soon as he's ready and move Walker into a bench scoring role.
I would guess that they'll be starting Warrick at PF until Arthur is ready, rather than Walker. So Conley, Mayo, Gay, Warrick, Milicic is probably a good guess for their starting five to open the season.