Kevin Martin (from the Zanesville-Times-recorder)

This article was from the front page of their paper (Zanesville) It's not really totally about basketball, but it's always nice to see our players making the effort to reach out to youth about staying in school, getting a good education and reaching your dreams.
Mods feel free to move it if this should be in the lounge (like you would need my permission anyway:D )

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050526/NEWS01/505260305/1002

Kevin Martin to students: Take school seriously

By SAM BLACKBURN
Sports Writer

CHRIS CROOK/Times Recorder

Kevin Martin has a laugh with Grover Cleveland Middle School principal Les Richards after being presented with a Grover Cleveland t-shirt, which, while large, was still too small for the 6-foot 7-inch NBA player. ADVERTISEMENT

ZANESVILLE - Kevin Martin bleeds blue, and it was no more evident than at Grover Cleveland Middle School on Thursday.

The 22-year-old Zanesville native and former first-round draft pick of the NBA's Sacramento Kings stopped by his old stomping grounds to speak to students in the new gymnasium. Currently living in Sacramento, where he recently built a house, he ventured back to his hometown for a few weeks after his season ended in late April.

Students in grades 5 to 8 at Grover Cleveland attended the one-hour session where Martin gave a speech and welcomed questions from teachers and students. He was joined by longtime friends Brody Beauford and T.J. Anderson, along with Tedd Murphy, one of the boys' basketball coaches at the middle school.

Martin talked a little about basketball, of course, given his expertise in the area. But mostly, he spoke of the importance of education and developing a work ethic at a young age.

"I just wanted to give something back," Martin said. "This is where I am from. For the fifth- and sixth-graders, they're getting ready to start junior high next year and they need someone to let them know how important it is to do things right, and to try and get good grades. I wouldn't be where I am today if my parents didn't stay on me about doing good in school."

Martin spoke for an hour to the fifth- and sixth-graders, while the seventh- and eighth-graders listened mostly to a question-and-answer session with Murphy, a longtime Zanesville City Schools and Grover Cleveland supporter.

The younger students were especially attentive, Murphy said.

"They were pretty wide-eyed. They obviously knew who he was," Murphy said. "The kids were well-behaved and asked good questions. He grew up two streets down from here, so he's one of them. He's proof that if you do the right things you can accomplish a lot."

"I talked a lot about carrying yourself, how a lot of people will judge you by the way you act and the way you look," Martin said. "You can't go to a job interview wearing a wife-beater (tank top). You have to present yourself in a positive way."

Upon the ending of his speech, Martin also presented two passes each to Scott Aronhalt's summer basketball camp at Zanesville High School and Dr. Jim Burson's Roundball Camp at Muskingum College to students who could answer questions correctly. Among them were questions in reference to his high school number (32), his age (22), the starting point guard for the Kings (Mike Bibby) and his season-high scoring total during his rookie year (17 points).

But his message was clear: Take school seriously.

"There are a lot of guys out there who are better basketball players than I am, but they never got the chance to show it because they never had the grades (to go to college)," Martin said. "You have to get at least a 17 or 18 on your ACT and have a decent grade point average just to get into school. And basketball isn't always going to be there. You need that education to have something to fall back on."

That said, Martin admitted that he hasn't finished his courses at Western Carolina University to obtain his degree.

"But I'm only a year away," Martin said. "I'll be going to back to finish it up."

Grover Cleveland Principal Les Richards said he knew Martin's messages were genuine. "A lot of kids think that just because they go to school here, that no matter what, they won't be able to accomplish the things they want to do in life," Richards said. "But (Martin) is living proof that you can."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm very pleased to see someone like Kevin taking the time to go back and put forth the message that kids need to take school seriously. With the emphasis on the high-school phenoms leaving school early to pursue their athletic dream, I'm impressed that Martin wants to talk about the other side.

As Kevin said (and I applaud him for it), "Basketball isn't always going to be there."

Way to go, Kevin!

Last edited:
As a teacher of 4th-6th graders, I am always glad to hear the players encourage education. I hope that Kevin completes his course work for his degree! Thanks Kevin!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
WTG, Kevin!! You keep up the good work in the community. You have a good sense of what is important.

Another article- This one more about actual basketball

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200550531001
Right on schedule

http://cmsimg.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BA&Date=20050531&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=50531001&Ref=AR&MaxW=290

NBA rookie Kevin Martin of Zanesville (right) shares a laugh with a teammate in Cleveland’s Gund Arena on April 1, when his Sacramento Kings were visiting the Cavaliers. The 6-7 Martin, who will play in this weekend’s Zanesville Gus Macker 3-On-3 Basketball Tournament, saw limited action this season and didn’t make the Kings’ playoff roster, but feels better things are ahead.

ZANESVILLE — The season ended prematurely for Kevin Martin, who was left off of the Sacramento Kings’ playoff roster.

That meant not suiting up for the first round of the playoffs, where the Kings lost to Seattle and saw their season come to an abrupt close.
His numbers as an NBA were far from breathtaking 2.9 points and 1.3 rebounds in only 10.1 minutes per game.

But the 6-7 shooting guard from Western Carolina, who played under Scott Aronhalt at Zanesville High School, is confident his role will increase next season.

“The coaches know what I can do,” Martin said. “But as a young player you have to pay your dues. When you look at the stats when I played extended minutes, I think I showed that I can play in the league.”

He’s talking mostly of his best game as a rookie, a 17-point effort against Denver where he sank 9 of 11 free throws. He also hit double figures in scoring against San Antonio and the L.A. Lakers.

But his minutes were as inconsistent has his team’s overall play. One game he’d play 20 minutes and get in the books. The next he might not play at all. For Martin, that was the most frustrating element surrounding his first year.

“It’s tough not knowing from game-to-game how much you’re going to play,” Martin said. “It’s hard to keep yourself prepared mentally. But I started playing at the end of the year a lot. Coach (Rick) Adelman says he likes what I did this year, and that I have to just keep doing what I am doing. But he also said that you never know what is going to happen in free agency.”

Part of the reason for his lack of consistent playing time was his own roster. He started throughout the pre-season when veteran Doug Christie was injured.

But Christie soon came back and was immediately inserted into the lineup, and later was traded for another two guard in Cuttino Mobley. Mobley, currently a free agent, averaged 17.8 points in 43 games with the Kings.

“If he stays, he’ll be our two guard,” Martin said. “We’ll battle each other in practice just like we did this year. We’re not rivals or anything like that. It’s just good competition. I actually started playing more when Cuttino got there.”

With his first year ancient history now, he’s currently in the middle of his first off-season. He has been visiting friends and family in Zanesville since mid-May, and plans to play in the annual Gus Macker 3-on-3 Tournament with former Zanesville High School All-Ohioan Travis Young, former WCU teammate David Berghoefer and forward Romeo Travis of the University of Akron. Travis started alongside LeBron James in high school at Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary.

He has also visited local schools and will attend the NAACP banquet in his honor at Secrest Auditorium on Friday.

“I’m going to be working out around here for the next couple of weeks, but I’ll be heading back to Sacramento pretty soon. I have a house that is just sitting out there right now,” Martin said. “I’ll be working out all summer.”

When asked of areas he needs to improve upon, shooting was high on the list.

“The thing about the NBA, once you get your shot down, and guys have to respect that, you can always get to the rim,” Martin said. “I can already get to the rim and get to the (free throw) line as it is. Once my shot becomes more consistent, it will be that much easier.”

He hopes the improvement will lead to more time next season, but the one thing he’s learned about the NBA is that high-priced veterans are going to play regardless of their level of play.

But he also knows he’s never going to be a rookie again.

“Our president of basketball operations is my biggest fan,” Martin said. “I just think it’s all about being young.”

Originally published May 31, 2005
some of you thought it was me, I bet;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great article and at the risk of gushing I will say again that I like his attitude and his outlook towards the future!

And, contrary to what Kevin thinks, I happen to firmly believe that a certain Kingsgurl is his biggest fan!!!

;)