Kendall Marshall

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Lakers just waived Kendall Marshall.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/kendall_marshall

He averaged 8pts and 8 assists per game last year for the Lakers.

If PDA wants a pass first PG with some upside for cheap, he's your man. He can't shot, but he is a gifted passer.

He is your poor man's Grevis Vasquez.
Would be a good backup point guard pick up for cheap.
No offense, but that's not saying much, is it? ;)

Marshall actually improved his shot quite a bit last year. He also has rare court vision. On offense, he reminds me of Andre Miller with an outside shot.

That defense though.

The Kings would have to claim him off waivers and hope none of the 6 teams with a worse records puts a claim in on him.

I think he would be a very serviceable backup point guard and he has starting experience.

He would only cost them the minimum salary too.

I've always actually been a big fan of Marshall. Very underrated IMO. I guess the only question to ask is, does the FO see Ray as the primary backup PG?

K

KingMilz

Marshall actually improved his shot quite a bit last year. He also has rare court vision. On offense, he reminds me of Andre Miller with an outside shot.

That defense though.
A garbage version of Andre Miller

I liked him coming out of college so I say hell yah... He's not getting 8apg here but he could be a decent backup to Collison.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No offense but he dished out more assists (467) than any other player beside John Wall.

I wouldn't mind having him.
I highlighted a particular part of ockingsfan's comnent:
He is your poor man's Grevis Vasquez.
THAT is what I was responding to and I stand by my comment. I don't think calling someone a lesser version of Greivis Vasquez is very high praise.

THAT is what I was responding to and I stand by my comment. I don't think calling someone a lesser version of Greivis Vasquez is very high praise.
Let's not forget that Grevis was second in the NBA in assists per game just 2 years ago.

He did average 14ppg and 9.0 assist for New Orleans when the Kings traded Tyreke for him. Grevis is actually not a bad bball player. Better suited as a backup, but he has had very good numbers when he was healthy.

Comparing Marshall to Grevis was not meant to be a put down, but a comparison of their passing abilities.

I never mentioned he is a very high praise nor did I compare him to Greivas. I just wouldn't mind having him on the team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
When looking at his numbers, you NEED to remember what system he was playing in. D'antoni's system is notorious for vastly inflating the numbers of just about any point guard who starts in it (Remember Linsanity?). So while his numbers may have been 8 and 8 under Captain Heroball, they might be completely different in just about any other system in the league.

When looking at his numbers, you NEED to remember what system he was playing in. D'antoni's system is notorious for vastly inflating the numbers of just about any point guard who starts in it (Remember Linsanity?). So while his numbers may have been 8 and 8 under Captain Heroball, they might be completely different in just about any other system in the league.
I do agree with you but also we must keep in mind that despite the system, Marshall was playing with a less-than-impressive group of players that included a core of Jordan Hill, Nick Young, Kent Bazemore, Xavier Henry and Wes Johnson. Marshall averaging 8 assists w/ many double-digit assist games thrown in, with that group of Lakers, is still quite the feat.

TBH, I'd love to bring him in. Been a big Kendall Marshall fan since he was in school.

Let him and Ray compete for the back-up spot. Anything that breeds competition is a major plus in my book. One reason I loved the Stauskas pick so much was I think he and Ben will push each other to always try and get better. Poor man's GV doesn't bother me either as GV became one of the best back-ups in the NBA when he went to Toronto.

Well yea, I don't think anyone would expect Marshall to be top 5 in passing categories. But his main skill, creating for others, is something we severely lack on the team, especially with our extremely inexperienced back-court. Why not let him battle it out with Ray for the back-up spot?

J

jdbraver

GV just lacked skill on the defensive end. He was more than capable on O. Remember he was injured when he came here.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Kings would have to claim him off waivers and hope none of the 6 teams with a worse records puts a claim in on him.

I think he would be a very serviceable backup point guard and he has starting experience.

He would only cost them the minimum salary too.
A little late to this party, but if memory serves, you have to be under the cap to claim a player off waivers. That would eliminate us from doing so.

A little late to this party, but if memory serves, you have to be under the cap to claim a player off waivers. That would eliminate us from doing so.
You may be correct.

Milwaukee picked him already though, he wouldn't had made it to the Kings anyways.

He was on a minimum contract and the Kings still had some exceptions available, not sure if they could of put in a claim. Being a minimum contract, I don't know the procedure on waived players.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not sure why we would have any use for Kendall. He will be an NBA journeyman, we've had too many on this team for the last decade.
3 will need a 3rd PG of some sort, and decent merit. Not sure whether Ray's SL helped or hurt his case as dependable regular season backup. But in general, at best we have a below average starter and an indifferent backup (in fact our starter was a good backup last year), so we really do need a 3rd. I mentioned earlier in free agency I was hoping we might be able to get an old steady very like Ridnour or Beno for vet min, but they both got signed to little 2yr $5mil type deals. still a few guys left, but I don't se the obvious ones who will come play for vet min on a losing franchise and be sure to help. Jameer Nelson is out there, but he's not coming here. Hinrich was too rich anyway and reupped. There are some washed up guys etc. Anyway, somebody who has proven they can get it done at a low level in the NBA would be handy.