Keegan “KEEGAN MURRAY” Murray

What makes me nervous with him is his shot doesn't always look like that. It seems like when he's on his shot is a lot more textbook. Better rotation, better release point, more arc, etc. Then when he's struggling it looks completely different. Less rotation, uses his left hand more, seems like he pushes the ball more. It almost comes out looking like a knuckleball at times. I watched a lot of him in college and I never noticed this, it seems like it's something he developed in the NBA.
Agree. I think he is overthinking it. His shot at the shot clock buzzer last night looked completely different from his other shot attempts. Much quicker release, ball had good rotation, seemed more fluid in his form.

His misses were more like he is pushing the ball to the hoop on a flat trajectory. Something is off and my guess is he is in his own head. He seems more frustrated and indecisive on offense like he is questioning whether to drive or shoot whenever he is open.

I would think the coaches would be correcting his form if it simply that, which is why I think it’s a confidence thing right now.

But who knows, he was wearing tape and a compression shirt on his shoulder a few games ago and media asked if an injury is hurting his shooting and he said something about how he doesn’t like making excuses. Made me wonder.

Keegan when facing Florida teams this season...

Vs Orlando 28p 13/21 fg 2/6 3p
@ Orlando 22p 8/12 fg 6/7 3p
Vs Miami 28p 10/14 fg 6/7 3p
@ Miami 33p 12/18 fg 7/11 3p

So in those 4 matches he averages 27.8 ppg, 43/65 fg (66.1%) 21/31 3p (67.7%) and has also 4/4 free throws
vs Rest of the NBA he averages 13.6ppg shooting with 43.9% from the field and 32.1% from 3

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Keegan when facing Florida teams this season...

Vs Orlando 28p 13/21 fg 2/6 3p
@ Orlando 22p 8/12 fg 6/7 3p
Vs Miami 28p 10/14 fg 6/7 3p
@ Miami 33p 12/18 fg 7/11 3p

So in those 4 matches he averages 27.8 ppg, 43/65 fg (66.1%) 21/31 3p (67.7%) and has also 4/4 free throws
vs Rest of the NBA he averages 13.6ppg shooting with 43.9% from the field and 32.1% from 3
Well, let's just hope we are playing one of those two teams in the Finals then!

Deuce said Keegan is shooting 31 percent from the corner 3 and 38 percent everywhere else. The 38 is still down from 41 percent last year but is totally acceptable given the volume. The corner 3s were always the shot I struggled with the most, some sort of depth perception issue maybe.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Deuce said Keegan is shooting 31 percent from the corner 3 and 38 percent everywhere else. The 38 is still down from 41 percent last year but is totally acceptable given the volume. The corner 3s were always the shot I struggled with the most, some sort of depth perception issue maybe.
It's funny, I have the same problem with the baseline shot being more difficult than a straight or elbow shot despite the distance being shorter. I'm pretty confident I must use the backboard in addition to the rim to gauge the distance. But typically the pros will actually shoot it better from the corner, so I'm sure that Keegan will get that up eventually.

Actually it was 44% from the corners and 41% overall from deep. He had a really good first season of shooting

Seems like Keegan's 3pt percentage has went down as he's tried to take shots in motion or while drifting, like Kevin Huerter coming off the hand off. His set shots are fine.
That’s what I’ve noticed as well - his shot being flat when he can’t fully gather his lower body. It usually happens off of movement or when he’s rushed. He’s got plenty to work on in the offseason (ball handling, going strong to the rack and owning the defensive glass being 3 areas). I think he’s already shown a great deal of growth from year one and I expect another jump in year 3.

Crap. Keegan's been really stepping up in that 3rd scorer role without Monk. Getting way too thin out here.
If we make the playoffs, we’re going to need a big coming out performance from Keegan to make it out of the 1st. He’s a little banged up right now, but it will be fun to see how he closes out these last few games with playoffs on the line

I was pleased to see last night that Keegan was much more aggressive in securing rebounds and not letting the ball get away. He is in fact second on the team in rebounds per game at 5.4, but well behind Len, McGee, Lyles, and even Vezenkov in rebounds per 36 minutes. Sabonis, of course, leads the entire NBA in rebounds per game, and is second in rebounds per 48 minutes.