Keegan “KEEGAN MURRAY” Murray

The only thing wrong about Keegan Murray is that we don't have two more of him to put on the floor. Maybe the most un-talked about positive of his game is his willingness to be a great defender in this league. Young players with his offensive skills often don't want or need to apply themselves defensively. They get their points, earn a big contract, and spend their energy on the offensive side of the floor. Not Keegan. It's obvious he's totally bought in to Coach Brown's defensive philosophy. This second year stud is the defensive leader of this team, no question about it. The sky is the limit for someone with his maturity and ability. I couldn't be more happy to have someone of his caliber on the Kings,.
Well, he has a twin brother playing a little up North. Perhaps we can trick Portland into parting with him for a reasonable price, and have at least one more of him :)

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Well, he has a twin brother playing a little up North. Perhaps we can trick Portland into parting with him for a reasonable price, and have at least one more of him :)
Kris is not exactly tearing it up in Portland, but probably a lot of it is Portland being a dumpster fire right now. I wonder how good an all-twin team would be (could go Lopez, Murrays, Morris, Martins, Thompsons) -- ok in thinking about it some more it there is not really a point guard so probably not too great.

Kris is not exactly tearing it up in Portland, but probably a lot of it is Portland being a dumpster fire right now. I wonder how good an all-twin team would be (could go Lopez, Murrays, Morris, Martins, Thompsons) -- ok in thinking about it some more it there is not really a point guard so probably not too great.
The second a morris is a king is where I draw the line

We rag on Ham but I don't think that was the worst take in the world. I don't think many of us were watching Keegan tape from Iowa thinking he's the guy we need on Curry for half the game. He's surprised nearly everyone with his newfound ability to stay with faster guys despite not looking very quick laterally. Ham was way too quick to say that Keegan couldn't play the 3 because we knew he was a 3-4 wing but I'm not gonna point and laugh at anyone for thinking that he wasn't going to be able to keep up with 1s and 2s on defense all game because I didn't think he could either.

Incredible stats. The team obviously retooled tons of roles since last year, but we're still keeping pace - we're now 1 game ahead (27-18 vs 26-19). Feels like we maybe turned a corner w HB and Huerter figuring it out. We're in a prime spot to make a great late season push. 23-14 gets us to 50 wins. Too early to start counting that but I'd be ecstatic if we get close.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
We rag on Ham but I don't think that was the worst take in the world. I don't think many of us were watching Keegan tape from Iowa thinking he's the guy we need on Curry for half the game. He's surprised nearly everyone with his newfound ability to stay with faster guys despite not looking very quick laterally. Ham was way too quick to say that Keegan couldn't play the 3 because we knew he was a 3-4 wing but I'm not gonna point and laugh at anyone for thinking that he wasn't going to be able to keep up with 1s and 2s on defense all game because I didn't think he could either.
Those were some of Ham's milder misses on Keegan. He said that he wouldn't even go in the lottery in a "normal draft" (as if that was a super weak draft class?) along with several other really poor takes. I mean, I don't have any issues with Ham other than that he doesn't seem to know basketball at all, doesn't seem to have any actual connections within the front office, across the NBA, or throughout college basketball, and that he certainly comes across as an unlikable sneaky weasel. But beyond that, he's pretty good.

Those were some of Ham's milder misses on Keegan. He said that he wouldn't even go in the lottery in a "normal draft" (as if that was a super weak draft class?) along with several other really poor takes. I mean, I don't have any issues with Ham other than that he doesn't seem to know basketball at all, doesn't seem to have any actual connections within the front office, across the NBA, or throughout college basketball, and that he certainly comes across as an unlikable sneaky weasel. But beyond that, he's pretty good.
I actually like Ham - mostly due to his output (and his podcast with Sean Cunningham is a good listen). BUT - you are not wrong. He thought the Kings were making a massive mistake in drafting Keegan - rated him around 13th in the draft. I was way off with Keegan ( I was thinking Cedric Ceballos, not jumbo Klay Thompson) - but nobody pays me to talk basketball.

I actually like Ham - mostly due to his output (and his podcast with Sean Cunningham is a good listen). BUT - you are not wrong. He thought the Kings were making a massive mistake in drafting Keegan - rated him around 13th in the draft. I was way off with Keegan ( I was thinking Cedric Ceballos, not jumbo Klay Thompson) - but nobody pays me to talk basketball.
Yeah Im not sure how many top 5 prospects have EVER drastically changed their player profile like Keegan has. He was kind of like this big wing/post/transition scoring dominator that had one good year of elite spacing. And defensively, he was more about being a weak-side rim protector than perimeter wing stopper. Astounding that his biggest questions coming in were: could he defend the perimeter and could he shoot? And those somehow have been by far his best qualities as an NBA player lol.

Yeah Im not sure how many top 5 prospects have EVER drastically changed their player profile like Keegan has. He was kind of like this big wing/post/transition scoring dominator that had one good year of elite spacing. And defensively, he was more about being a weak-side rim protector than perimeter wing stopper. Astounding that his biggest questions coming in were: could he defend the perimeter and could he shoot? And those somehow have been by far his best qualities as an NBA player lol.
And his shooting is elite. His float game has been wild this year!

It appears to me that Keegan's game suffers from having to defend an opponent's best player. It is not that he can't do it well but rather that the effort and inevitable fouls takes him out of the game. He rides the bench in foul trouble for quite some time while losing whatever offensive momentum he had at the start. The Cleveland game is a prime example of this point.

His game might be better served if guarding a lesser player. There is enough switching on defense that his skills will be evident without being taxing. However, this would favor starting a defensive expert at the other forward, such as Edwards, and that is not going to happen.

It appears to me that Keegan's game suffers from having to defend an opponent's best player. It is not that he can't do it well but rather that the effort and inevitable fouls takes him out of the game. He rides the bench in foul trouble for quite some time while losing whatever offensive momentum he had at the start. The Cleveland game is a prime example of this point.

His game might be better served if guarding a lesser player. There is enough switching on defense that his skills will be evident without being taxing. However, this would favor starting a defensive expert at the other forward, such as Edwards, and that is not going to happen.
If the Kings can land all star talent at SG it can, but until then the only evidence of the Kings sacrificing offense for defense wasn't positive in it's end result.