K9 - Murphy

I posted this in another thread, which may not have been the best fit. It may not have generated much response due to disagreement, but I felt it was worth it's own thread based on it's merits. Long story short if you hate longer posts. Getting Murphy is not a long term solution, but would allow us to be free agent players in 2011 when less teams have cap space or have a bigger expiring contract next year to take advantage of a cap strapped team or contender looking for a stretch 4 instead of wasting an asset.

I actually wouldn't mind trading for Murphy if nothing better came along for KT. The rationale being that if the Kings don't think they can sign another big name player this summer, then KT's expiring contract essentially becomes a wasted asset. Sure having open cap space can help facilitate other trades, but with Murphy you are basically turning KT's 8-9 million dollar expiring contract this season into an 11 million dollar expiring contract next season.

If our big free agent push is going to be 2 years from now when there may be less team's with cap space or a different cap structure, having Murphy's EC next season might be very useful. Because we can either let his contract expire and be in the same position as letting KT's contract expire. Or we can deal him to either a bad team looking to trade talent for cap relief or a contender who wants a stretch 4, but doesn't want to make a long term financial commitment (since he will be expiring). Either way, that might fit our plans better than simply letting KT's contract come off the cap.

Edit - I'll add that I of course mean trading KT for Murphy and not giving up any of our other assets to obtain him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I really don't want Murphy clogging up our frontline minutes with that game at his age. You would really have to promise me we could move him this summer. Swear it. Cross your heart and hope to die. And I probably still would not be interested to tell you the truth.

And yeah...I saw it the first time, but I saw Troy Murply's name, went ewwww, and promptly moved on to the next thread. :p

I am not a big "Troy Murphy" fan...

However, just for arguement,

Beno + Noc for Murph works
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5449203

Beno + Noc for Murph + Watson (expiring ) works
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5449209

K9 + Hilton for Murph works, but I do not feel Murph is worth an expiring contract at this point.
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5449214

How about this deal
K9 + Hilton + Hawes for Murphy and Hibbert (Maybe I am over-value-ing Hibbert, not sure, but it would be nice to get a prospect Center out of a deal like this)
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5449221

I wouldlove that last trade for Murphy and hibbert, I'd much rather have him than hawes. he'd be our center for the next 7-10 years and looks really good and has the potential to be a futureall star and defensive standout maybe even one of the better defensive playersin the NBA in a few years.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I wouldlove that last trade for Murphy and hibbert, I'd much rather have him than hawes. he'd be our center for the next 7-10 years and looks really good and has the potential to be a futureall star and defensive standout maybe even one of the better defensive playersin the NBA in a few years.
Recent reports say that the Pacers look at Hibbert as one of their core pieces. I doubt he's going to be traded.

Well Murphy puts up nice numbers with offense, passing and rebounding. I just don't value his defense at all. I think K9 as expiring is worth more and I fear that Murphy could make the team better enough just to destroy any hope of a good lottery pick.

So what do we know about Troy Murphy?

~He is averaging 9.9 Reb, 14.0 points per contest on a bad team in about 30 minutes a game. That's a better stat line than JT or Hawes in the same amount of minutes and the Kings and the Pacers have the same # of wins. (though 18 wins in the west is much better than 18 wins in the east)

~Murphy is 29-30 years old (do not care enough to figure it out)

~Murphy is getting paid way, way too much, but only for one more year...

If the Kings can trade of K9 for Murph straight up (which works financially, see below), the Kings essentially get a servicable big for a year and a half, with cap space after next season in exchange for not having extra cap space this summer. I think, if this is the best the Kings can get for K9, then that would be worth it. It's not like there are a ton of servicable centers the Kings will be able to get without overpaying this offseason. Also, they do not end up exchanging K9 for a SF or PG, which is awesome.
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5450212

This is not a deal I really get hyped about, but this would allow the Kings the depth to bench Hawes and JT when they are sucking air or sucking eggs. Not a horrid deal...

Also, the Kings, in no way, should entertain trading Donte + K9 for Murph... unless the Kings get a first round pick or prospect or Hibbert in return... Donte is too good and too young for all that.

Hmm....

I like (or dislike) how our KT trade progression (or regression) has been:

1.) KT for Okafur;
2.) KT for Dalembert;
3.) KT for Murphy.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? Are we just getting out-negotiated to the point where are are starting to settle (maybe our expectations were too high in the first place)? Don't get me wrong, I am happy that the front office is finally going after a big man but I am sure we could at least package KT with something to bring in something better.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is not a deal I really get hyped about, but this would allow the Kings the depth to bench Hawes and JT when they are sucking air or sucking eggs. Not a horrid deal...

Uh yeah, it would allow us to bench Spencer or Jason for a 30yr old journeyman with a huge contract? We just got done with an era in which we regularly engaged in such stupidity. Let it rest in peace. Or preferably let it burn in hell and never be seen in these parts again.

Uh yeah, it would allow us to bench Spencer or Jason for a 30yr old journeyman with a huge contract? We just got done with an era in which we regularly engaged in such stupidity. Let it rest in peace. Or preferably let it burn in hell and never be seen in these parts again.
Agree wholeheartedly.

I hadn't been told that the notion of Indiana-forward-Troy Murphy-to-the-Kings was legit. That has changed, however, as sources close to the Pacers say there is significant Kings interest in the 29-year-old forward.

I've been told that the Kings are pursuing a straight up deal centered around the expiring contract of Kenny Thomas ($8.5 million).

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/2010/02/trade-chatter-c.html

I don't buy it. Reading between the lines, I think it's the Pacers' camp who is spreading this rumor. Probably in an effort to inflate Murphy's demand.

I might believe that GP offered Noc and Beno for Murphy, but not KT, no way. And Bird would be dumb not to take that deal right on the spot.

Nocioni + Hilton for Murphy wouldn't be that bad for us and them. We clear space at the 3 and get cap room a year earlier.

KT for Murphy makes no sense though

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I really hope this is just hot air from Indiana because bringing in Troy Murphy to this team right now, even for just a season and a half to have the expiring cotnract, looks like a huge step backward to me. And if Donte Greene goes to Indiana too I would have to question Petrie's sanity.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I want absolutely nothing to do with Murph. He can't pass, can't block shots, isn't very good at defense, makes 11M, and is 29 yrs old. I fail to see any upside to having him on this roster. I'd rather have JT and Spencer return as our starting 4 and 5 next season before adding Murph to the roster.

I really hope this is just a rumor, and blows over pretty quickly. The only upside I see from this is that Petire clearly is working the phones in an attempt to improve our frontline, and realizes JT and Spencer won't cut it given our talent at the other positions. But Murph? No ******* way Petrie!

I really don't want Murphy clogging up our frontline minutes with that game at his age. You would really have to promise me we could move him this summer. Swear it. Cross your heart and hope to die. And I probably still would not be interested to tell you the truth.

And yeah...I saw it the first time, but I saw Troy Murply's name, went ewwww, and promptly moved on to the next thread. :p

I'm actually surprised you in particular are so vehemently against this. I do agree about taking up front court minutes (especially if we draft a big this year), but PW and the front office seem to have realistic expectations and are giving the youth every chance to play. However, I just know in the past you have hated wasting assets and getting nothing back. Just looking at this year's trade market and the players who are rumored to be available, there really aren't any names worth putting together a big package for. That may change next season.

The problem with taking the capspace too is that if we sign multiple rookies, players to an extensions, or sign a role player for multiple years we may not have the capspace to use in a trade. Whereas an 11 million dollar expiring is an 11 million dollar expiring regardless of what else we do.

And yes, I said ewww too when I saw the first post mentioning the Kings interest in Murphy, so I understand :D

Hmm....

I like (or dislike) how our KT trade progression (or regression) has been:

1.) KT for Okafur;
2.) KT for Dalembert;
3.) KT for Murphy.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? Are we just getting out-negotiated to the point where are are starting to settle (maybe our expectations were too high in the first place)? Don't get me wrong, I am happy that the front office is finally going after a big man but I am sure we could at least package KT with something to bring in something better.
I think it is more the market this season. However, that would be part of why you would acquire Murphy. We have seen expiring contracts play a big role in trades before and while the market stinks this season, who knows if a Gasol/Garnett type difference maker will be available next season.

What it would boil down to with Murphy's contract is:

Worst case - He expires and you have cap room next offseason when less teams do.

Intermediate case - Trade him to a contender for more expirings and an small asset (late first round pick, rights to international player, young player or multiple 2nd rounders)

Best case - A potential #2 type of player is available and you package Murphy's EC with a couple of other assets and get a very good player.

I know the name makes people wretch and it would be terrible if PW turned into Theus/Natt and started playing Murphy 40 minutes a night instead of Hawes/Greene/JT. However, from a strategic standpoint, I think it's a solid move that gives up more ammunition to improve in the future.

Obviously, I would want no part of Murphy if he had a 2+ years left on his contract. This move would not be about acquiring Murphy the player, it would be about acquiring the tradable asset.

Amick wrote that the Pacers would want K9 and a "young talent like Donte Greene" for Murphy. If Petrie is even listening to this he's retarded. Murphy sucks and we can't afford to give up a good young player like DOnte for a no D 3 point chucker big man like Murphy. Please Petrie, keep Murphy as FAR AWAY from the Kings as possible.

Amick wrote that the Pacers would want K9 and a "young talent like Donte Greene" for Murphy. If Petrie is even listening to this he's retarded. Murphy sucks and we can't afford to give up a good young player like DOnte for a no D 3 point chucker big man like Murphy. Please Petrie, keep Murphy as FAR AWAY from the Kings as possible.
One of our most promising trade pieces and one of our most promising talents, for Murphy? :eek:

If Petrie pulls the trigger on something this horrendous you can count me in on the "Fire Petrie Now" bandwagon.

The only things about Murphy's game that I can see fitting here is his rebounding and shooting but even then, I would still be against it, especially if it actually costs us any of our young players or KT expiring.

Having said that Pacers won't trade Murphy for Beno and or Noc because it makes no sense for them. Just like giving up any of our youngsters for Murphy makes no sense.

Now if they would be interested in talking Roy Hibbert...

For our purposes, acquiring Murphy is wasting assets and getting nothing back.
How so? You are essentially taking an asset that we can't maximize this year and deferring it to next year. Different name, same purpose.

And again, this is only a straight up K9-Murphy deal. Obviously including one of our other assets like Greene would be inane and pointless.

If there is a better deal out there for KT, where we acquire a usable player, then I am all for it. But if not, I'd rather defer the asset to next season than waste it.

Now if they would be interested in talking Roy Hibbert...
That's what I am saying! Also, I still contend Murphy for K9:

1. Makes the Kings better, if by just a little bit.
2. Gives the Kings more depth... the frontcourt is JT, Hawes, and Brockman... and sometimes Donte.
3. Clearly, Hawes is having an up and down season, putting Murph on the roster would make him have to earn his minutes; how is that a bad thing?

Also, any deal for Murph featuring anything but vets or expiring vets is a train wreck... unless the Kings get something back... Maybe the Kings throw in Hawes and get Hibbert or throw in May or Armstrong or a second rounder or something and get that obnoxious white guy... what's his name... oh yeah, Tyler Hansbrough

If there is a better deal out there for KT, where we acquire a usable player, then I am all for it. But if not, I'd rather defer the asset to next season than waste it.
Yeah, plus, the Collective Bargaining Agreement is supposed to be reqorked soon, too. Maybe doing this would buy enough time to not sign a high salary player until after the CBA is settled... that would be a huge +.

How so? You are essentially taking an asset that we can't maximize this year and deferring it to next year. Different name, same purpose.

And again, this is only a straight up K9-Murphy deal. Obviously including one of our other assets like Greene would be inane and pointless.

This is a valid point as long as the assumption that we are unable to land a FA this summer that's better than Murphy (using the cap space we would gain from KT's expiring) proves true. That being said, I don't really see us landing a decent big man in FA :-\.

Last edited: