Just so we are clear....

Wait...whoa. I must have fallen and bumped my head somewhere. :p

thx Npialm
He has played fantastic all year. I was waiting to see if he was going to keep his hot start going or if he was going to have a few bad games and return to what he was last year. Not only has he no regressed he has gotten better. He seems to have worked on all of his weaknesses.

He reminds me a little of Karl Malone, not young Karl Malone but Karl Malone after he had been in the league about 10 years.

He has played fantastic all year. I was waiting to see if he was going to keep his hot start going or if he was going to have a few bad games and return to what he was last year. Not only has he no regressed he has gotten better. He seems to have worked on all of his weaknesses.

He reminds me a little of Karl Malone, not young Karl Malone but Karl Malone after he had been in the league about 10 years.
No he reminds me of Chris Webber, just twice as strong and a little taller.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I suspect that's a comment you do not make lightly. And I think it's high praise.

Welcome to the bandwagon. :)

Webber was way more athletic. Karl just beat the hell out guys and made smooth jumpers when you backed off him.
Webber was more athletic but was never really a high flyer, more of a power dunker, Cousins is more than capable of throwing down some power dunks. Skill wise they are very similar though, both have vacuums for hands, great handle for big men, passing, mid range jumpers and both Webber like Cousins is solid in the post but not great(Webb never really had an array of moves other than a half hook, like current Cousins, although he is starting to show more and has time to improve).

I didn't see much of Malone, but from what I have seen he reminds me more of a more skilled Blake Griffin.

You know, that's an interesting comparison that I hadn't thought of. Very similar in style of play. Very physical, lots of free throws, good mid to outside shot, and get out of the way of this steamroller..I'm going through you.

I agree, closer to Malone than Webber

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Webber was more athletic but was never really a high flyer, more of a power dunker, Cousins is more than capable of throwing down some power dunks. Skill wise they are very similar though, both have vacuums for hands, great handle for big men, passing, mid range jumpers and both Webber like Cousins is solid in the post but not great(Webb never really had an array of moves other than a half hook, like current Cousins, although he is starting to show more and has time to improve).

I didn't see much of Malone, but from what I have seen he reminds me more of a more skilled Blake Griffin.
Apparently, you didn't see much of pre-Sacramento Webber, either. Unless you think that power forwards only count as "high fliers" if they dunk like Kemp and Griffin.

Cousin's top 3 traits IMO:
1) The ability to get the ball through the rim after taking contact. It's not always pretty, but the thing goes in almost every time. I don't know how he does it, but wow.
2) Great hands - seems to always surprise guards with a quick steal
3) Dude has great awareness for getting position and taking the charge. I think it negates his inability to block shots

K

KingMilz

Been hearing for years by Jazz fans how Kanter has elite rebounding and post game ( I laughed) and how Milsap /Jefferson were holding Favors and Kanter back and now they finally get those two playing time Kanter is moved to the bench due to have pathetic D and can only really compete well against bench players and Favors while a good defender gets most his points as nothing more than a garbage man. Combined they don't have 3/4's of the impact Cousins has.

Been hearing for years by Jazz fans how Kanter has elite rebounding and post game ( I laughed) and how Milsap /Jefferson were holding Favors and Kanter back and now they finally get those two playing time Kanter is moved to the bench due to have pathetic D and can only really compete well against bench players and Favors while a good defender gets most his points as nothing more than a garbage man. Combined they don't have 3/4's of the impact Cousins has.
You have a nice a day and enjoy your teams win streak.

K

KingMilz

Cousin's top 3 traits IMO:
1) The ability to get the ball through the rim after taking contact. It's not always pretty, but the thing goes in almost every time. I don't know how he does it, but wow.
2) Great hands - seems to always surprise guards with a quick steal
3) Dude has great awareness for getting position and taking the charge. I think it negates his inability to block shots
He's just got insane basketball instincts which cover up a lot of his flaws tbh which is a good thing, like I wouldn't say Cousins is a high IQ player but due to his natural feel he can make plays that a really high IQ player would make. Just his ability to move he's kind of like Roger Federer you would never mistake him for being the fastest tennis player but cause he moves so well he can get to everything and make hard shots look easy.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Explain how that justifies you using this thread, of all places, as an opportunity to take a cheap shot?

I like Favors but more as a secondary big, he would actually be great next to Cousins
Apparently, you didn't see much of pre-Sacramento Webber, either. Unless you think that power forwards only count as "high fliers" if they dunk like Kemp and Griffin.
Thats why I said he was a power dunker, not a guy that soared through the air but got his position and threw it down hard on you. Webber is my favorite player of all time, I never said he wasn't athletic, but that didn't define his game, one of the most skilled big men of all time whose prime was cut short. A player like Griffin is a knee injury away from being just another guy.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
What I was getting at was, if you don't consider a young Webber to have been a high flier then, by your criteria, there have only been two power forwards in the history of the NBA who were high fliers, and I don't agree with that at all. Nobody could look at how Webber played at Michigan, or Golden State, or his first couple of years in Washington, and reasonably say that he wasn't a high flier.

Just because you don't put it between your legs and three-sixty, doesn't mean that you're not a high flier.

He's just got insane basketball instincts which cover up a lot of his flaws tbh which is a good thing, like I wouldn't say Cousins is a high IQ player but due to his natural feel he can make plays that a really high IQ player would make. Just his ability to move he's kind of like Roger Federer you would never mistake him for being the fastest tennis player but cause he moves so well he can get to everything and make hard shots look easy.
The nice thing is, this is what you want in a big.... the hyper-athletic bigs that succeed based on leaping/speed will flame out in a few years and then you are left with nothing. The instinct guys, like Cousins stay around for a long time and get better with age. Then when the body goes, the decline is much less dramatic.

The nice thing is, this is what you want in a big.... the hyper-athletic bigs that succeed based on leaping/speed will flame out in a few years and then you are left with nothing. The instinct guys, like Cousins stay around for a long time and get better with age. Then when the body goes, the decline is much less dramatic.
Yeah, they score 25 a game on free throws and fade aways....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dude, this is just plain rude. Npliam starts a thread to compliment our big guy and you do this? Whatever...