Jimmer Fredette

There are still a few questions.... consistency is one. But his defense is becoming passable, and his play making skills are getting much better. His shot is still there and he has incorporated a teardrop runner in the lane that has to be respected now.

Also his ball handling has gotten MUCH better. He seems more sure of himself coming up the court. There is a confidence in him that was not there before. He needs more playing time to progress.

Just a sidenote: Who starts is isnt as important as who finishes. I think Jimmer has earned more minutes to see if he can build on his recent solid play. He is certainly improving his trade value and that also benefits the Kings !! But if he continues to play the way he has, he wont be going anywhere...

Also I was happy to see Jimmer in with Cousins playing the 2 man game. That was just as effective as I thought it would be. They HAVE to double Cousins, but they cant leave Jimmer wide open. And when they double off Jimmer it is a small on a big which is not very effective against Cousins. Also when they double from the weak side, it leaves a slasher/open rebounder on the back side. All those scenarios are a positive for the Kings.
Why, it is almost as if a properly run pick and roll game is nearly impossible to counter.

A semi-interesting stat. Among players attempting at least 1 pull up three pointer off the dribble per game, Kevin Durant is the most efficient at 47%. Jimmer is second at 44%.

Last edited:
Why, it is almost as if a properly run pick and roll game is nearly impossible to counter.

A semi-interesting stat. Among players attempting at least 1 pull up three pointer off the dribble per game, Kevin Durant is the most efficient at 47%. Jimmer is second at 44%.
Interesting. Do they have pull-up 3s on NBA.com now?

His only trade value is to a contender who thinks he is a missing piece of the puzzle for this year's run. What team would that be? I haven't given it much thought. Memphis?

Anyway, because of this his trade value is close to zero. Kings gambled that Jimmer was worthless. And as such the return on the investment will be close to nil.

i've always had this assumption that Michael Malone, Pete D'Allesandro, & the rest of the Kings front office know they're not going to pick up Jimmers option, which is a result of his playing time. He has no future in Sacramento, which is why he hasn't played much, despite his improvements. Truth is, the kid is thriving DESPITE the support from this front office & staff. Hia minutes have been abysmal, & he has reached 20+ not ONE time this season. I've seen him improve dramatically as a playmaker. He sees the floor so well, such a high IQ, & him & Cousins would flourish together. His defense has improved as well & of course he has Jimmer range. It's a shame they see no potential in him, because this kid has worked his ass off to get better. (sigh)

Interesting. Do they have pull-up 3s on NBA.com now?
Here is the link.

Really, if Jimmer were a better ball handler, he would be starting point guard material. As it is, I still prefer him off the ball with a couple of creative ballhandlers on the wings or running things against weak second units.

His only trade value is to a contender who thinks he is a missing piece of the puzzle for this year's run. What team would that be? I haven't given it much thought. Memphis?

Anyway, because of this his trade value is close to zero. Kings gambled that Jimmer was worthless. And as such the return on the investment will be close to nil.
I made a list a while back in the Jimmer trade value thread here.

I would vote mavs, but there's no room on their roster for another PG with Devin Harris returning. :(
If you trade Jimmer, you have to get a point guard back somehow. Ray showed last night that while his defensive effort is good, results are inconsistent and his offense and ability to run a team are a work in progress. In a couple of years, he might be a decent, Reggie Jackson level backup.

You can trade Jimmer and the Vasquez trade exception for Dalembert and Devin Harris. I don't know why the Mavericks do this, though. Harris isn't a very good defender, but backup defensive big men are tough to come by and Dalembert is relatively cheap.

Cousins might murder Harris if they are in the same locker room.

A huge problem for the Mavs is their backcourt defense (Calderon and Ellis). Jimmer would not improve their defense. Devin Harris is the tempo backup pointguard. While his defense might not be great, it would be hard to be worse than Calderon's.

A huge problem for the Mavs is their backcourt defense (Calderon and Ellis). Jimmer would not improve their defense. Devin Harris is the tempo backup pointguard. While his defense might not be great, it would be hard to be worse than Calderon's.
Dallas has 48 minutes of rim protection to help after their guards get beat between Wright and Dalembert. They also have an abundance of offensive firepower on the team with Dirk and Ellis drawing a majority of the defensive attention. I don't think that Jimmer would be appreciably worse than Devin Harris on that team, but he doesn't help them much. In any case, there isn't much that the Mavericks have that would help the Kings outside of one of their shot blockers and they aren't going to give those guys away for a half-season rental of a superfluous guard.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
i've always had this assumption that Michael Malone, Pete D'Allesandro, & the rest of the Kings front office know they're not going to pick up Jimmers option, which is a result of his playing time.
Welcome to the forum! As the resident fact-checker (I try to leave the pedantry to Slim) I will point out that the decision Jimmer's fourth year option had to be made in October, and it was declined. It's not that the front office isn't going to pick up Jimmer's option, that option is already declined.

Welcome to the forum! As the resident fact-checker (I try to leave the pedantry to Slim) I will point out that the decision Jimmer's fourth year option had to be made in October, and it was declined. It's not that the front office isn't going to pick up Jimmer's option, that option is already declined.
Jimmer looked like he was worth that fourth year commitment last night. He has played better recently but who knows if last night was his new playing level or just a fluke. Whether Jimmer is traded, moves on to another team in the off season or is resigned by the Kings I think by his 5th year he will be a pretty good PG maybe as good as Mike Bibby.

i've always had this assumption that Michael Malone, Pete D'Allesandro, & the rest of the Kings front office know they're not going to pick up Jimmers option, which is a result of his playing time. He has no future in Sacramento, which is why he hasn't played much, despite his improvements. Truth is, the kid is thriving DESPITE the support from this front office & staff. Hia minutes have been abysmal, & he has reached 20+ not ONE time this season. I've seen him improve dramatically as a playmaker. He sees the floor so well, such a high IQ, & him & Cousins would flourish together. His defense has improved as well & of course he has Jimmer range. It's a shame they see no potential in him, because this kid has worked his ass off to get better. (sigh)
I've actually noticed a significant improvement in his ball handling in recent weeks. I do believe now, that he will make a nice career for himself in the NBA. A couple of short months ago, I did not think so

I'm very happy for him. He deserves the chance that he is going to earn for himself

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jimmer looked like he was worth that fourth year commitment last night. He has played better recently but who knows if last night was his new playing level or just a fluke. Whether Jimmer is traded, moves on to another team in the off season or is resigned by the Kings I think by his 5th year he will be a pretty good PG maybe as good as Mike Bibby.
No he's still not.

I mean, he should be in the NBA next year, but nobody is going to pay him much for the honor. So even if you're thinking maybe we'll keep him, you still wanted to have to stop paying him as a lottery pick.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I mean, he should be in the NBA next year, but nobody is going to pay him much for the honor. So even if you're thinking maybe we'll keep him, you still wanted to have to stop paying him as a lottery pick.
His option salary wasn't outrageous - it was $3.1M. He probably doesn't get that next year, but I don't think $2M would shock me, especially if he keeps playing like last night (a big if).

Easy there. I like Jimmer and all, think he's shown improvement and think he has a place in the league, but prime Mike Bibby was pretty damn good. Border line all star good. I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying Jimmer will likely never be mentioned in any All Star conversations.

My favorite Jimmer highlight from last night was after the first timeout break that occurred after his entry into the game. He goes up to Cousins and it looks like he says something like "That was some good stuff we did, yah?" And Cousins just proceeds to angrily walk straight by him towards the bench, his hatred for Mike Dunleavy impenetrable.

OK, OK.....comparing Jimmer to Bibby and saying he might be worth 3.1 million a year may be reaching:)

But on the flip side some PG's and Bigs take a few seasons to develop. I'm just saying..............:)

No he's still not.

How much do you think he make? I don't think that 3 million number is too far off.

I think Jimmer was always capable of playing like this.. the only thing he needed was confidence.. and he sure as hell wasn't getting that with Smart. Jimmer plays PG, but playing with another player who can handle the ball helps him a lot. I don't think the FO has future plans for Jimmer, but it would be interesting to see what he can do the rest of the year with consistent minutes. If he proves he can run the offense, I wouldn't mind offering him a 1 year deal worth 3-5million and half guaranteed.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Why can't a player on our team have a good game without ridiculous comparisons being brought up afterwards?

All it causes is backlash, when we should just be happy Jimmer had a good game and hope he can duplicate the performance.