Jenny Boucek relieved of head coaching duties

Actually, we probably have a better roster than Washington, but thats all. Washington, however, as a legit franchise player in Beard who is playing exceptionally well right now.

But the one thing she does not say is that rotation. I too go back to that rotation. Her shuffling those players in and out, in and out, no rhythm, saying it was for defensive purposes, but the defense has slid every year she has been here.
Although I agree with the criticism of JBoo, don't forget Whisenant likes to break the game up into four minute segments and rotate accordingly. I don't expect any improvement in this aspect at all.

Defense has gone down under Boucek, but offense has increased. It's much more fun to watch offense, and if balanced properly with defense, games are won.

HoopMatron

Although I agree with the criticism of JBoo, don't forget Whisenant likes to break the game up into four minute segments and rotate accordingly. I don't expect any improvement in this aspect at all.

Defense has gone down under Boucek, but offense has increased. It's much more fun to watch offense, and if balanced properly with defense, games are won.

HoopMatron
Defense has gone down because we don't have Yo anymore period. Brunson, when she feels like it is a great defender, but is not as good as Yo was during her years here. Ticha is one of the top defenders, Scho is good. Newton to me has always been overrated. Nicole is useless, but we need her there for our offense. Paris is too slow, DeMya still has bad knees, etc. While our defense could be better, it's not going to be earth shattering good.

Anyway, I hope the team proves me wrong, but I don't see it with the mediocre talent we have. But it probably is time for us to get some good new talent, since Whiz is unwilling to pool trades and such. Prince/Wright this year and Moore next year, yeah. If so, we'll be set for atleast 10 years. Look at Seattle, getting Bird and Jackson back to back. :D

Apparently Nancy Lieberman doesn't agree with the firing. Per Nancy on twitter:

oh yeah-why again did sac fire jenny boucek????? not a very smart move.its hard to run someone else's system that is outdated!

Apparently Nancy Lieberman doesn't agree with the firing. Per Nancy on twitter:

oh yeah-why again did sac fire jenny boucek????? not a very smart move.its hard to run someone else's system that is outdated!
What I am understanding is Jenny Boucek fans are quite upset about this move. I feel those comments are far more personal than they are professional. Those fans do not see what is going on on a day to day basis and look at this from the outside looking in.

Monarch fans for the most part may not totally agree with when the move happened, but I think understand why the move was made.To me this is nothing personal towards Boucek. She is was and will be a good coach....it did not work out here.

That in a nutshell is what Whisnant said on 1140 last night. That he honestly and sincerely feels that this team can compete IF they clean up on the defensive side of the ball. He did not go into specificics on why the change now, but in so many words he felt that this is his team, that 8 of the 11 players he has coached and won with, and that the players professionally understood.

He did say something on the Monarchs Blog that I thought was compelling

On how he feels about the rotation:

“I really don’t want to be critical of Jenny, because like I said, I really like her. We’ve had some hard decisions. You can’t play 10 or 11 players because they all end up being out of sync sometimes. I’ve given her my opinion on who I thought. A nine player rotation with our system is ideal, where you have three post and six perimeter players. If you use a 10th player, you use another post a little bit. We’ve discussed all that, and it’s been a little bit hard, in defense of Jenny, to decide who deserves to play. Nobody’s really separated themselves until more recently, who belonged out there. It’s hard to make that judgment until somebody steps up. Part of it is Walker and Brunson are both coming off injury, and they’re both healthy but they weren’t in great condition, so they couldn’t play long periods. It’s been a juggling act, and that’s not easy. That’s one of the things she was battling.”

Last edited:
Yeah I read that too

I read that and thought to myself...

Hmmm... Did he think he could have done a better job under those circulstances??? Had he been the coach and has a similar result would he have replaced himself as coach or would he have said Okay it is finally coming together?

See I think given circumstances, even with a "more organized defensive Scheme" the results would have probably been the same. Teams may not have scored as much but the results would have been similar.

Well maybe one difference, coaching day in and day out he may actually realize that he would have to call up his GM and ask for some help on the wings.

I am looking at this from a better perspective now.

Maybe this is him taking responsibility. Him realizing that he could have done more, and more importantly, Him... DOING MORE. If this his way of ending his 3 years of apathy and getting more engaged, then the least I can do is try to roll with it.

I see this as an opportunity for Whiz to get a first hand look at the make up of this team. And see How we match up with others teams from the bench. Yes we have talent. Yes our talent is somewhat healthy.
His Players in His System. No more excuses. So this in the end is a good thing.

I know this team needs a firmer hand, even with all the Vets on it. The certainly need more time in practice. And Whiz is a notorious task-master in practice. Being healthier he can push this team.

I am not quite convinced that he can win the necessary 13-14 games to make a play-off run. But I am convinced that this team will be better.

Given his comments on Jenny's difficulties (with the situation), one would think he should've given Jenny a chance to finish the season to see if she could've gotten it together to fairly evaluate her. That is not to say that Jenny hasn't had her chance fairly. As far as I can tell, our offense DID NOT improve with her at the helm. Defense had taken a step back as well. So I am not sure how much she did contribute.

I agree with Luv13Fan though. Now that Whiz is at the helm, he can finally see that he really didn't give Jenny much of a chance with an outdated lineup against a rapidly evolving WNBA game. (Note to Whiz, I'd be happy if you prove me wrong). Also, Whiz taking over is a sign of taking responsibility for HIS team, HIS lineup, HIS system. only time will tell.

Good news is, if nothing comes out of this, we can at least get a good draft pick.

She had 14/6 sitting on the bench for a month. That's about all I needed to see about use of talent. Without rehashing my feelings about the rotations, offense and defense.
With all due respect... She Also had a Former All-Star that was sitting at home that is now playing in Detroit. She had at least one second round draft pick in 08 that is sitting in Minny that could have been here. Do we really want to go down that path.

I think we can all find fault with a whole lot that has been done. We can debate til the cows come home. It is overwhelming. So I am not gonna focus on it anymore.

What's done is done, our team is what it is. Jenny is gone...Whiz get a clean slate now. It is all about what he does from this point forward.

I was just saying...if we want to have conversations about talent this and talent that. Let's also evaluate what talent she had that just now got to play. I really dont care who isn't here or who could have been here. I really don't care. Since neither Boucek nor Whisenant are going to coach a roster of people folks think should be here.

My comments were focused on who was on this roster and how they were used up until about 8pm on Sunday. In case I wasn't clear about what I was referring to.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's what Voisin had to say in this morning's Bee:

Whiz should never have stepped down
By Ailene Voisin
Published: Tuesday, Jul. 14, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 1C
Last Modified: Tuesday, Jul. 14, 2009 - 8:44 am

Three years ago, John Whisenant screwed up. He knew it before he walked out the door, before he called his wife. He had let his ego swell during contract negotiations, demanded a hefty raise to continue his dual role as Monarchs coach/general manager, and when the Maloofs stuck to their budget, Whiz quit the coaching gig in a snit.

Regrets, he has a few.

Imagine if he had stuck around. Would Yolanda Griffith have retired here? Would the Monarchs have returned to the WNBA Finals? Would the players be better-conditioned? Would the youngsters be further along? Instead, Whiz remained as GM, hired an unproven Jenny Boucek and then presented her with a roster created in his own image.

Same players, new coach.

Tough job.

more...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I was just saying...if we want to have conversations about talent this and talent that. Let's also evaluate what talent she had that just now got to play. I really dont care who isn't here or who could have been here. I really don't care. Since neither Boucek nor Whisenant are going to coach a roster of people folks think should be here.

My comments were focused on who was on this roster and how they were used up until about 8pm on Sunday. In case I wasn't clear about what I was referring to.
I concur; whether Boucek had the best team she could have possibly had to coach is neither here nor there, in my opinion. She did a pee-poor job of coaching the team she did have.

Completely agree!! There is this sentiment that JW the GM did not do enough to bring more talent in. I wish we had more talent. But it is clear by his comments that he believes this team can win. And he has to put up now or shut up because this is his team.

I have said from Day One that this team can compete, and I still feel that way. If they don't win, the Monarchs for the first time since 2002 will have a high lottery pick and I am sure some changes will be made. But the 2009 Monarchs team has grossly underachieved in my opinion ESPECIALLY ON DEFENSE. That is on Boucek.

Okay I am not trying to rehash...

Cause I absolutely agree that some of her coaching choices had reached an Epic Level of loopiness.

But we were refering to the statements in the article, where Whiz himself acknowledged that Jenny faced a unique set of circumstances coming in.
Given those circumstances...

Did he think he could have done a better job under those circulstances??? Had he been the coach and has a similar result would he have replaced himself as coach or would he have said Okay it is finally coming together?

My answer was that I thought the results would have been similar, even with a more effective defense.

Now If you are saying that Yes, Whiz would have done better, then okay.
If you are saying No he would have been just as screwed up to this point but Whiz's system and style is better equiped to lead us forward? I'll even buy that. But Courtney Sitting on the bench doesn't quite address the question posed.

We know that team has been under achieving, so do they. I am hoping that Starting today we make a giagantic leap in focus and execution. If Jenny getting the Ax makes that happen then so be it.

It wasn't going to happen today. I think we'll see it over the weekend tho. Maybe. I think they might be able to practice on Thursday.

I agree PR about this roster competing. Also agree that there is an assessment under way as well, and the players know it.