Javale McGee

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I want to be straight where I am coming from. I don't know McGee. I've never paid attention. I don't know what this Shaqtin a Fool (or whatever it is) means. I am trying to explain the difference between IQ and BBIQ and have made a whole lot of assumptions about McGee based on what people have said. This has a little to do with Whiteside also but I don't really know much about either. I'm just throwing an idea out there that people seem to ignore. Some people are smarter than others and that's the way it is. A person can have an IQ of 70-80 and be a fine player but may have limits. No teaching in the world will boost his IQ to 140. It certainly can be a factor in how well a person understands his job on the court.

Saying this another way, if a player has the capacity to understand the why's and what's of being a great player on a great team, he can adjust to situations that a coach hasn't covered. I want a player who asks questions because he wants to know WHY his job fits into the overall team concept.

I dislike the term BBIQ because IQ is an inherent amount of brain power and I suspect BBIQ is something that is more learned by repetition, study, good coaching and the like. I also suspect you also have to be relatively intelligent or all that repetition. study, and good coaching will go to waste.

Sons of coaches or pro players have an advantage as they are learning the WHY's of everything on the court perhaps even on a daily basis. This is an advantage and the apparent fact that McGee doesn't seem to have benefited by having a mother who was a damn good basketball player means he is missing something and I am guessing that the "something" is above the neck.

I doubt if most teams have a doctor to screen for such problems.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well according to science you can't really say that.
I don't want to go full geek mode but let's just say you should not tell your kid that he will stupid for life because in most cases he won't be.
Even low IQ individuals are proven to be able to get to improve their IQ given the right training, environment, and practices.
Oh come on. Almost every broadcast team in the league has commented one time or another about McGee's lack of acumen on the court. He's dumb. Period.

We've had dumb before. I'd just as soon not have to see it again...ever.

Looking at off season trade targets, how about someone that PDA's has ties too from Denver.

The Kings can offer some salary cap relief by giving them some ending contracts and maybe a couple future second round picks. Maybe a combination of ending contracts in Derrick Williams (6.67 mil) and Travis Outlaw (3 mil) for Javale McGee and his two years 23.25 million left. Kings maybe can take on one or two of their unwanted contracts too.

Why the Kings would do it: Javale McGee was a trade acquisition when PDA was in the FO of Denver. He is a great shot blocker and would be a great rim protector for the Kings alongside DMC. He is coming off a 5 game season due to injury, but is scheduled to be back by training camp. The Kings can concentrate on getting a point guard in the draft (Dante Exum or Marcus Smart).

Why Denver does it: McGee is coming off a injury riddled season and is going to make over 23 million in the next two years. Timofey Mozgov has played well for a lot less money (4 mil/yr) and maybe the starting center for Denver, even when McGee is healthy. Denver would save 14 million over the next two seasons, and possible luxury tax. Denver and PDA have history, so he may have connections to get an inside track on a trade.
Funny that you DON'T mention his extremely low IQ.....Like most have said, I want NO part of this dude. ZILCH. NADA. NOTHING. ZERO. Dude may have a pretty solid skill set, but what good is a skill set if the IQ of the dude (or dudette) who is supposed to use this skill set is comparable to, well, a 1 month year old baby??????? Wanting a part of this dude is kinda like wanting a part of Andrew Bynum. Bynum's knees are screwed up, therefore, he is a high risk, medium (to low) reward guy. While Javale McGee's brain is all screwed up, making him a high risk, extremely low reward guy.....No thanks...My little niece can probably play the game of basketball better than Javale McGee...

I'm just appalled by the way McGee has been pounded in this thread like some idiot who can't even read the alphabet. If you search youtube about McGee, yes you will see a collection of 10 dumb acts of McGee collections or 20 bonehead plays by they guy. So what's that accounting to? 1 turnover per game?

Now how many guys in the NBA are 7ft, gets 2 blocks, 8 rebounds, 10 pts in a 20min per game and runs the court like a gazelle in their 6 yr career without even the so called basketball IQ?

I'm just appalled by the way McGee has been pounded in this thread like some idiot who can't even read the alphabet. If you search youtube about McGee, yes you will see a collection of 10 dumb acts of McGee collections or 20 bonehead plays by they guy. So what's that accounting to? 1 turnover per game?

Now how many guys in the NBA are 7ft, gets 2 blocks, 8 rebounds, 10 pts in a 20min per game and runs the court like a gazelle in their 6 yr career without even the so called basketball IQ?
Javale, is that you? Kidding aside, I'm not sure, but Javale isn't one of them. He hasn't put up numbers like that since 2011-2012. And he did it in 27 minutes.

what of the criticism not levelled at his IQ (whether BB or otherwise), though? the dude's simply never been a good player and now he has that massive contract stuck to him as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well according to science you can't really say that.
I don't want to go full geek mode but let's just say you should not tell your kid that he will stupid for life because in most cases he won't be.
Even low IQ individuals are proven to be able to get to improve their IQ given the right training, environment, and practices.
While telling your child he's stupid may hinder his growth along with self esteem, it has no reflection upon his IQ. All IQ is, is a grade showing a persons capacity to learn. In general those with higher IQ's become more learned than those that don't have a high IQ. But having a high IQ unto itself doesn't make anyone smart. You still have to put in the work. Its nothing more than a tool. If you don't use it, it has little value. While a persons IQ can vary slightly from test to test, I've never heard of anyone who had, lets say an IQ of 100, that later jumped to 120. I've had three IQ tests in my life, at different times in my life, by three different organizations, and none of them varied by more than 2 or 3 points. If you have proof of being able to dramatically improve a persons IQ, I'd like to see it.

While telling your child he's stupid may hinder his growth along with self esteem, it has no reflection upon his IQ. All IQ is, is a grade showing a persons capacity to learn. In general those with higher IQ's become more learned than those that don't have a high IQ. But having a high IQ unto itself doesn't make anyone smart. You still have to put in the work. Its nothing more than a tool. If you don't use it, it has little value. While a persons IQ can vary slightly from test to test, I've never heard of anyone who had, lets say an IQ of 100, that later jumped to 120. I've had three IQ tests in my life, at different times in my life, by three different organizations, and none of them varied by more than 2 or 3 points. If you have proof of being able to dramatically improve a persons IQ, I'd like to see it.
Even random google would give you lots.
http://io9.com/5851129/teenagers-iq-scores-can-change-dramatically-throughout-adolescence

You can check the rest. But I won't debate on the validity of these studies. It's your own discretion if you agree or not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://io9.com/5851129/teenagers-iq-scores-can-change-dramatically-throughout-adolescence

You can check the rest. But I won't debate on the validity of these studies. It's your own discretion if you agree or not.
Come on. Let's just be real here.

Javale McGee isn't a teenager. He's a grown-ass man who has shown repeatedly that he is incapable of making correct decisions in pressure situations. This isn't about science. It's about watching someone who could be the lead in a basketball-spinoff of "Jackass." His collections of bloopers on YouTube is impressive - and sadly revealing at the same time.

McGee has the basketball acumen of a turnip. Say "No thanks" to him and move on, for our sakes and for his. Look at it this way. If he did become a King and did one of those incredibly stupid things he seems to do on a regular basis, do you really think anyone could stop DMC from eventually breaking him in half like a twig?

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Define IQ. It is a measurement that assumes 16 years as the time when a person's brain stabilizes and is fully mature. Before that, the calculation of IQ must be adjusted for age. Certain assumptions are made and that is that all people increase their IQ at the same rate. That is not true and incredibly unlikely. It means that once one is an adult, the IQ stays stable but in one's adolescence, it can vary because this is a time when IQ may still be increasing AND at a varying rate as all adolescents mature at a varying rate.

The subject of this conversation is an adult called McGee who, because he is not an adolescent, one can assume very safely that his IQ has maxed out.

I could have made that more clear but is it worth it? There is something different about McGee. I haven't dealt with this in 50 years so maybe IQ has been redefined but I doubt it. I sure am not going to do any research. My IQ has remained stable over my adult years just like bajaden's.

BTW, that study was about adolescents from age 12 to 16 and of course IQ changes. I don't find that earth shattering

Last edited: