Jason Thompson's D

I think Jason was a good defender in college. Why is he bad now? Isn't it normal for new players to struggle defensively, and will he get much better?

It seems that he has the physical tools to become a good defender...

I think Jason was a good defender in college. Why is he bad now? Isn't it normal for new players to struggle defensively, and will he get much better?

The level of play is different for Colllege and NBA. As soon as he figures out the proper adjustment he needs to do, he will be fine.

Don't worry too much about Thompson's defense. He is willing to bang inside. For sure, he will be one of the tough defending bigs in the NBA when he finally gets it. I have more worries about our other big - the softie Hawes. Hawes seems not realizing he needs to be willing to bang bodies if he wants to be a defensive force in the paint.

Or, maybe Hawes won't ever be physical after all, because he is too smart and avoiding a career ending re-injury to his knee?

A lot of the PFs he's been bad against defensively kinda get superstar treatment. I think one rare one was Carl Landry that flat out beat JT with his mobility and aggressiveness.

JT's post defense is actually not that bad, but he picks up loads of fouls because he's not fully straight up. He always thinks he is, and I think the trainers should work on his shoulder flexibility. I have the same problem, when I naturally stretch my arms up they still bend forward, and it requires additional effort to make them completely straight. That's just my speculation of course.

The other thing is his defense picking up on guards. This happens either when Beno or sergio are guarding the point, or off pick and rolls. Our pick and roll defense is horrendous. Once our guard gets screened off Hawes and JT or whatever "big" men we have are at the mercy of opposing guards. Beno and Sergio also often get beat defensively.

Defense is part IQ and part effort IMO. JT just has to improve on the IQ bit, but overall I think it's our team defense that needs to improve. When the ball is stopped outside it will suddenly seem as if JT and Hawes have improved their defence

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

He played at a small college where he was 4 inches taller than all the other bigs. Its still moderately surprising he won DPOY because his instincts frankly suck, but that's the same conference where Gary Trent was known as "The Shaq of the MAC", so you have to take it for what its worth.

He's got a couple of physical deficiencies, one of which can be corrected (strength) with better work in the weight room, one which can't (length)and will prevent him from being much of a shotblocker. But there is no reason for him to be awful of course -- that's really just for the same reaosn he blows so many layups and whatnot. He doesn't come across as a dumb person off the court, but oncourt he plays dumb. His basketball I.Q. is sabotaged by constantly getting overexcited. I'm thinking we maybe should have kept Artest so he could have taught Jason some of his, er, more unique methods for chilling out before, and during, games.

The other thing is his defense picking up on guards. This happens either when Beno or sergio are guarding the point, or off pick and rolls. Our pick and roll defense is horrendous. Once our guard gets screened off Hawes and JT or whatever "big" men we have are at the mercy of opposing guards. Beno and Sergio also often get beat defensively.
Yeah, from the few games I've seen, there just seems to be a lot of confusion all around on defense leading to bad team defense...especially on pick and rolls. At times it seems that they're not sure what to do, or they do the wrong thing (i.e. double teaming the wrong player, leaving someone wide open under the hoop). Playing more games together, getting comfortable with each other and getting the feel of what teammates are doing should help this.

After all...it is a pretty young team.

For those who get to watch the games regularly (and not through a pixelated internet broadcast), what's your take on this? Is this a fair assessment?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
mac said:
Where to begin. In reference to the pick and roll defense, I've noticed an improvement when Evans is on the floor and he's involved in the play. Evans is much better in switching back. For whatever reason, Beno still has problems getting back on the switch and leaves either Thompson or Hawes out there trying to guard a small quick man and Beno trying to guard someone 6'11". Of course the advantage of having Evans there is that if the switch doesn't happen, he at least is tall and long enough to present some sort of challenge to the taller man. Parker and Duncan run the pick and roll almost to perfection.

Thompson's post defense is adequate at times. And other times he either trys to do too much, or simply does something stupid. I found it interesting that when Grant interviewed him before the last game he actually tried to defend his grabbing Songilia's jersey, explaining that he understood how the ref's might have thought he was grabbing the jersey. Grant later during a break in the game said that after the interview ended he showed Thompson the video of him hanging on to Songilia' jersey. He said Thompson was shocked at the video and had no idea he had done what the video showed.

Either he has selective memory, or he's so caught up in the moment of the game he really doesn't realize what he doing. I suspect his problem is the latter. When you look at all the duplicate mistakes he makes on defense, and then how he's shocked at the whistle being blown, there appears to be a disconnect between his brain and his body.

His problems certainly aren't about effort and desire. Perhaps he has too much effort and desire. He wants to be a great player, but he seems to leave the bus depot without the passengers sometimes. I think, and I hope he'll be OK with time. He just needs to slow everything down.. There are two ways to play defense. One is called reactionary and the other is called anticipation. All great defenders are great anticipation defenders first and formost. Anticipation comes from first knowing your opponent, and secondly having a lot of experience. Right now Thompson is just a reactionary defender. That gives the whole advantage to the offensive player, and usually gets the defensive player in foul trouble. He's still young and only in the beginning of his second year. I don't know if he will ever be a great defender, but there's no reason he can't be a good defender in time. At least I hope so.

I think he'll be an average defender in time if he can slow his brain down and actually think about what he's doing before he does it. He gets called for fouls on a lot of stupid things he could easily correct (like arms straight up instead of leaning forward).

He certainly puts a lot of effort in on the defensive end, which is more than can be said for a lot of players. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to make very good decisions about how to defend and commits a lot of bone-headed fouls. I think he will benefit enormously from playing in a good defensive system next to a strong defensive center. But as it is it seems like he runs around the court alot looking to do too much and gets himself into trouble.