Jackson's Return Sparks Kings in Easy Victory Over Suns

Jackson's Return Sparks Kings in Easy Victory Over Suns
Sacramento Guard Scores 15 Points in First Game in Four Months
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (April 20) - While the Suns and the Kings wrapped up their seasons, Bobby Jackson was just getting started on a comeback he hopes will last all spring.

Jackson had 15 points, six rebounds and five assists in his first game in four months, and Sacramento clinched its fifth consecutive 50-win season with a 132-107 victory over Phoenix on Wednesday night.

A mostly meaningless game was a landmark occasion for Jackson, the sparkplug guard who hasn't been able to shake constant injury troubles in recent years. Activated from the injured list before the game, he made his first appearance since Dec. 21, when he was sidelined with torn ligaments in his left wrist.

And from the first time he drove the lane and crashed to the floor in his inimitably reckless style, Jackson was back - and the Kings had reason to hope their tumultuous season will improve in the playoffs. Jackson, a longtime fan favorite, got several raucous ovations from a crowd with the same dreams.

"I couldn't believe how loud it was tonight," Jackson said. "It gave me butterflies. It gave me chills. This is what I thrive off. I felt like Superman, the way they were cheering me."

Darius Songaila, Cuttino Mobley and Corliss Williamson scored 19 points apiece to lead eight Kings scoring in double figures as Sacramento snapped the Suns' five-game winning streak and split the season series.

Despite a midseason roster overhaul and the Kings' usual litany of injuries, they finished 50-32 in their seventh straight playoff season under coach Rick Adelman - the longest stretch of sustained winning in the history of one of the NBA's original franchises.

"This was a hard 50," Adelman said. "A lot of things went on. A lot of things could have gone the other way, and this team didn't let it happen. I think 50 wins means something, even to the guys who haven't been here."

Amare Stoudemire had 30 points and 11 rebounds while curiously playing 31 minutes in a meaningless game for the Suns, who already clinched the NBA's best record. Joe Johnson scored 19 points and Quentin Richardson added 17 - including five 3-pointers - as Phoenix finished its remarkable season tied with the 1992-93 team for the best record in franchise history (62-20).

"I played it like a normal game," said Stoudemire, who threw down his usual handful of vicious dunks. "I try to approach every game with the same intensity. I wanted to win. I wanted to be a part of history, but we tied it, so it feels good."

The Suns' 33-game improvement on last season's record is the third-biggest turnaround in league history.

Though several regulars rested or played reduced minutes, the NBA's two highest-scoring teams still lived up to their reputations. Sacramento had its most prolific game of the season with a season-high 51 field goals and 12 3-pointers, including three each by Jackson and Eddie House.

Both clubs already were locked into playoff spots. The Suns, who have home-court advantage throughout the postseason, will host Memphis on Sunday, while the sixth-seeded Kings visit Seattle on Saturday night.

While Jackson used the game to get in shape for the playoffs, star point guards Mike Bibby of Sacramento and Steve Nash of Phoenix both sat out with minor injuries to rest up for the weekend.

The Kings also played without Peja Stojakovic, who spent a one-game stint on the injured list with a strained groin. Brian Skinner, the Kings' starting center, left the game late in the first quarter with a sprained right foot.

Jackson had four points, two rebounds and two assists during a 9-0 run shortly after he entered the game. In the closing seconds of the first half, he corralled a loose ball and made a 3-pointer with 2.2 seconds to play, drawing chants of "Bobby! Bobby!" from the rafters.

He scored his 15 points in 16 minutes.

"If I can just get my legs back, I'm going to be able to do some stuff," he said with a grin.

Notes: Adelman didn't know the extent of Skinner's injury.

Nash wrapped up his NBA assists crown with 11.5 per game - the league's highest average since John Stockton had 12.3 in 1994-95. ... Only the San Antonio Spurs ever made bigger one-season turnarounds than the Suns. The Spurs improved by 36 games in 1997-98, and by 35 games in 1989-90.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20050421010709990013

Here's a quote from Adelman during last night's game that I thought was funny...

Adelman was baffled by a touch foul called against Songaila while defending Stoudemire in the third quarter. "What, is he supposed to leave the building?" Adelman asked referee Gary Zielinski.

I didn't see the game...but I did read ESPN headline about how Mark Stein ranked the playoff teams....Kings got totally dissed!!....check it out...I think its way off the mark!

I really thought it would take Bobby a while to get back in the swing of things but I was wrong. He didn't look like he's been out at all. SO good to see him back on the court playing and our biggest cheerleader. One back, 2 to go.

^are you kidding...? Bobby's whole point to this team is that he's our spark plug off the bench our energy our consistent scorer of the bench...

When I went back and watched the game from last night over...I noticed that when Bobby entered the game for the first time to a standing O...there was a Suns fan who was right behind the scorers table who got up and clapped as well...he was there in his Amare jersey standing up clapping Bobby's return...I thought that was nice...

Bobby is invaluable off the bench. Not everyone can come into a game and have an immediate impact. A lot of guys have to have a few minutes just to get into rhythm and get warmed up. And, as good as Bobby is, I'd pick Bibby over Bobby as my starting PG. He just runs the offense so incredibly well and is always under control----ice.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Having Bobby back to come off the bench just made things a lot easier for Mike Bibby and a LOT more difficult for opponents.

As far as him starting, I've said this before but it's been a while. NOT every player should start. Some players are MUCH MORE effective off the bench, giving their team a much needed boost at critical times. That is the essence that is Bobby Jackson. That's why he earned the 6th man of the year award. He - all by himself - is like a massive shot of adrenalin for the whole team when he comes on the court. And, as shown at Arco last night, he also grabs the fans by the throat, slaps them around and makes them cheer louder and longer.

Welcome back, Bobby!!!!!

Bobby's best spot on our team is the #1 man off the bench, but that doesnt mean hes not a starter.

Remember a couple years ago when Bibby was hurt during the first 20 games? Bobby averaged 20ppg and 50% while Bibby was gone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bobby stepped into the gap and filled it nicely while Bibby was out, but that doesn't mean he's a starter - for the Kings. He could probably start for a number of teams in the league but for us he's a perfect fit off the bench.

What really matters is not the starters, but how the team finishes. Bobby is a 6th man, but I like what a lot of our "off-the-bench" players bring (like Songaila). I understand that it is perceived as more prestigious to be a "starter", but no one is going to win a championship with a weak bench.

If Bobby were, say, 6 or 7 inches taller he'd be Jordanesque. I love B-Jax's game and attitude. We're lucky to have him. He works his tail off and is a fantastic talent. :)