Iverson traded to Denver

Iverson goes to Nuggets

By David Aldridge

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Allen Iverson era in Philadelphia is over.

Iverson, pending NBA officials' approval, will be traded to the Denver Nuggets for a package including guard Andre Miller, forward Joe Smith and both of Denver's 2007 first-round picks, according to a source with knowledge of the trade talks between the teams.

Miller, 30, is third in the league in assists and is one of the league's best point guards. He will also receive an additional $1million as a trade kicker as part of his six-year, $55 million contract. Smith, the first pick overall in the 1995 draft and a former Sixer, was put into the deal for salary cap purposes, and is in the last year of a deal that will pay him $6.8 million this season.

The trade will also give Philadelphia three first-round picks in next June's draft, expected to be one of the best in years.

The deal would end a tumultuous 10-day period of talks between Philadelphia and most every team in the league for the 31-year-old Iverson, the league's Most Valuable Player in 2001 and a perennial All-Star who won the hearts of fans throughout the city and is one of its sporting icons, along with Mike Schmidt, Julius Erving, Chuck Bednarik and a handful of others.

Iverson has not been with the team since Dec. 8, when Sixers chairman Ed Snider said that the team would accede to Iverson's request to be traded.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16275722.htm

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Iverson goes to Nuggets

By David Aldridge

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Allen Iverson era in Philadelphia is over.

Iverson, pending NBA officials' approval, will be traded to the Denver Nuggets for a package including guard Andre Miller, forward Joe Smith and both of Denver's 2007 first-round picks, according to a source with knowledge of the trade talks between the teams.

Miller, 30, is third in the league in assists and is one of the league's best point guards. He will also receive an additional $1million as a trade kicker as part of his six-year, $55 million contract. Smith, the first pick overall in the 1995 draft and a former Sixer, was put into the deal for salary cap purposes, and is in the last year of a deal that will pay him $6.8 million this season.

The trade will also give Philadelphia three first-round picks in next June's draft, expected to be one of the best in years.

The deal would end a tumultuous 10-day period of talks between Philadelphia and most every team in the league for the 31-year-old Iverson, the league's Most Valuable Player in 2001 and a perennial All-Star who won the hearts of fans throughout the city and is one of its sporting icons, along with Mike Schmidt, Julius Erving, Chuck Bednarik and a handful of others.

Iverson has not been with the team since Dec. 8, when Sixers chairman Ed Snider said that the team would accede to Iverson's request to be traded.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16275722.htm
I'm going to go out on a real long limb right now and predict HUGE fireworks between George Karl and Iverson before St. Patrick's Day. And I can't even begin to imagine the possible conflicts between Iverson and Melo.

And the people of Denver are not going to embrace Iverson and his antics, IMHO. This has "potential for catastrophe" written all over it... in really big letters.

Don't really know how that will pan out in the long run.
I think it could actually be a really strong team depending on how AI and Carmelo gel. All of a sudden it's a very, very well-built team, with AI and Carmelo sharing the scoring, JR Smith knocking down outside jump shots, and defense/shotblocking/dirty work with Evans/Najera/Camby.

At the same time, neither AI or Carmelo are particularly adept at other facets of the game besides scoring, so in some sense they cancel each other out. There's no way they're going to complement each other or add to each other's games, so I don't see it as a team that's going to be more than the sum of its parts. Both of their games will suffer.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think it could actually be a really strong team depending on how AI and Carmelo gel. All of a sudden it's a very, very well-built team, with AI and Carmelo sharing the scoring, JR Smith knocking down outside jump shots, and defense/shotblocking/dirty work with Evans/Najera/Camby.

At the same time, neither AI or Carmelo are particularly adept at other facets of the game besides scoring, so in some sense they cancel each other out. There's no way they're going to complement each other or add to each other's games, so I don't see it as a team that's going to be more than the sum of its parts. Both of their games will suffer.
That right there could be the biggest wild dream of all time. If it doesn't work out, Denver is screwed. And isn't JR Smith part of the trade deal?

I'm going to go out on a real long limb right now and predict HUGE fireworks between George Karl and Iverson before St. Patrick's Day.

And the people of Denver are not going to embrace Iverson and his antics, IMHO. This has "potential for catastrophe" written all over it... in really big letters.
You can say that again. I have a client in Denver and I've been spending a lot of time there lately. As nice a place as it is (and it is very nice) it is almost anti-AI type of city.

Having said that I am looking forward to it a little bit, I might even go watch the Nuggets next time I am in town. They just went from "couldn't care less" on my list to "Oh, I've gotta see that".

I too, cannot see how AI and Melo will complement each other, but like you said Evans/Najera/Camby are perfect for AI.

Nuggets still won't be able to spread the floor though and they just got little worse defensively...

That right there could be the biggest wild dream of all time. If it doesn't work out, Denver is screwed. And isn't JR Smith part of the trade deal?
JR Smith isn't in the deal, it's Joe Smith.

But yeah, it's a huge risk for them. They now have $61 million tied up in Martin/Nene/Carmelo/AI/Camby. With Reggie Evans that's $66 million. And they still have no bench, and Earl is probably opting out.

What's most risky is that they've just risked alienating Carmelo if it goes south. He's pretty much the only tradeable player on their team if it doesn't work.

May be off topic but we play the Nuggets on friday.

I was looking forward to that game because it seems like we could win seeing that they'd be without melo and smith! Now, AI?!

ugh!!!!

Pretty bad timing!!! We can noto get a break.

Anyway, those draft picks are gonna be valuable for Philly if they use them wisely.

Damn.... two 30+ pt scorers on the same team is scary, no matter which way you slice it. Risky move, but it could be what puts them over the top.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Who said nobody would trade draft picks in this draft? ;)

A.I. and Melo...major wow factor and if you're Dener maybe the only shot you have at catching the power teams out West, but over his career A.I. has squished every 20pt scorer he has been teamed with. What's he going to do next to a 30pt scorer? Also gets to ahve the team to himself for the next 15 games -- will be interesting to see what happens after Melo's team, turned AI's team, suddenly has to choose wiht both of them on the floor at once in February.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
JR Smith isn't in the deal, it's Joe Smith.

But yeah, it's a huge risk for them. They now have $61 million tied up in Martin/Nene/Carmelo/AI/Camby. With Reggie Evans that's $66 million. And they still have no bench, and Earl is probably opting out.

What's most risky is that they've just risked alienating Carmelo if it goes south. He's pretty much the only tradeable player on their team if it doesn't work.
Oops.

;)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Also gets to ahve the team to himself for the next 15 games -- will be interesting to see what happens after Melo's team, turned AI's team, suddenly has to choose wiht both of them on the floor at once in February.
I was thinking along the same lines.

You have to think they discussed it with Melo before they made the move. I wonder what his thought about all this is....

Do we even have a GM? I want proof that someone is manning the office.
We have one of the best GM's in the game. His name is Geoff Petrie...you should meet him sometime. What is he doing? Well for starters, he is keeping the most self-centered, ball-hog in the game the h*** out of Sacramento.

Honestly, for those of you that need a scapegoat for the woes of today's Kings, please just blame K9 like everyone else.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was thinking along the same lines.

You have to think they discussed it with Melo before they made the move. I wonder what his thought about all this is....
And, perhaps more importantly, what does Carmelo's mom think about the trade.

I can't help but believe things aren't very happy in the Anthony household right now. As Bricklayer has pointed out numerous times, AI has left a trail of shattered hopes for successful NBA careers behind him. At this point, you can't help but think it's being talked about by Melo and others.

And, perhaps more importantly, what does Carmelo's mom think about the trade.

I can't help but believe things aren't very happy in the Anthony household right now. As Bricklayer has pointed out numerous times, AI has left a trail of shattered hopes for successful NBA careers behind him. At this point, you can't help but think it's being talked about by Melo and others.

Yes - it has been a very, very bad week for Melo.

Poor Melo.

We have one of the best GM's in the game. His name is Geoff Petrie...you should meet him sometime. What is he doing? Well for starters, he is keeping the most self-centered, ball-hog in the game the h*** out of Sacramento.

Honestly, for those of you that need a scapegoat for the woes of today's Kings, please just blame K9 like everyone else.
We have done NOTHING for a long time now. Did I want AI? No. We shuold have been apart of a three way trade. We should be doing something. Anything. This team is horribly put together and the bulk of the blame for our lack of effectiveness or our future in rebuilding should fall directly on the shoulders of our GM. Honestly, what has he done in the last 3 years that was not the obvious thing to do. Kevin's drafting is it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We have done NOTHING for a long time now. Did I want AI? No. We shuold have been apart of a three way trade. We should be doing something. Anything. This team is horribly put together and the bulk of the blame for our lack of effectiveness or our future in rebuilding should fall directly on the shoulders of our GM. Honestly, what has he done in the last 3 years that was not the obvious thing to do. Kevin's drafting is it.
We should have been part of a three-way trade? And do you have any proof that it wasn't attempted?

This isn't a video game. Just because you want to make your team better doesn't mean the other GMs have to cooperate.

We should have been part of a three-way trade? And do you have any proof that it wasn't attempted?

This isn't a video game. Just because you want to make your team better doesn't mean the other GMs have to cooperate.
I guess the root of my issue is this: another big trade oppurtunity that we have missed. I am well aware that this is not a video game. However, our GM has been sitting on his hands way to long, with a terrible product on the floor.

Are you happy with the direction of this franchice over the last 3 years?

Truely a bad trade, unless those picks do something.
philly is 5-18. i'm sure those picks will do something.

i don't think this trade is as lopsided as people think. philly finally dumps AI and his contract after nearly 6 years of waiting, andre miller is a steady PG, and the 2007 draft is loaded with big man potential. philly is on the road to a quick rebuild. they've already got some solid roleplayers on their roster, they've got some youth, and they're going to be in a position to draft well this offseason. not to mention that c-webb's contract will expire after next season. they can get some young studs in the draft, then sign someone in the offseason to further fill whatever gaps the team might have. there's potential in philly now, as well as hope. today's a good day for me if i'm a philly fan. too bad i'm not.