Iverson officially retires (for now)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...ug=mc-iversonretire112509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=Asro7mVMXIIuW4RA39C1nLu8vLYF?urn=nba,204978

Now ends the reign of the most over rated and selfish MVP in NBA history. I never liked AI but respected his ability to hoist up numerous shot attempts and never tire while showing an entire generation that you can become an undersized scoring guard star as long as you are surrounded with no other scoring threats and a GM that catered to your selfish playing style.

Last edited:
NOV. 25, 2009
TO ALL OF MY FANS:

I would like to announce my plans to retire from the National Basketball Association. I always thought that when I left the game, it would be because I couldn’t help my team the way that I was accustomed to. However, that is not the case.

I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play, and a whole lot left in my tank. I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level.

Stepping away from the game will allow me to spend quality time with my wife and kids. This is a reward that far exceeds anything that I’ve ever achieved on the basketball court. I have prayed for this day and I see it as my greatest gift.

I want to thank the people of Reebok International Ltd., for always allowing me to be me and for supporting me my whole career through all the ups and downs. I have enjoyed 13 wonderful seasons in the NBA, and I am grateful.

I want to first acknowledge my fans everywhere, who have been with me throughout my entire career. Without you, there would be no me. You should all know that I appreciate your support from the bottom of my heart. Thank you!

To Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Charles Barkley and Larry Bird, you guys gave me the vision to play the game that will be forever in my heart.

To my Mom, who encouraged and inspired me to play every day, and to all of my family and friends who stood by me from the beginning. Thank you!

To my high school coach, Michael Bailey, Coach John Thompson at Georgetown University, Coach Larry Brown and to all of my other coaches, teammates, administrators, owners and staff who’ve been a part of my career, Thank you as well!

I’d like to give a special thanks to the people of Memphis. I never played a home game for your beloved Grizzlies, but I want you to know how much I appreciate the opportunity given me by a great owner in Michael Heisley, and the support of the city. I wish the Memphis Grizzlies’ organization all of the success that the game has to offer.

And finally, to the city of Philadelphia: I have wonderful memories of my days in a Sixers’ uniform. To Philly fans, thank you. Your voice will always be music to my ears.

God Bless all of you,

ALLEN IVERSON

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...ug=mc-iversonretire112509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=Asro7mVMXIIuW4RA39C1nLu8vLYF?urn=nba,204978

Now ends the reign of the most over rated and selfish MVP in NBA history. I never liked AI but respected his ability to hoist up numerous shot attempts and never tire while showing an entire generation that you can become an undersized scoring guard star as long as you are surrounded with no other scoring threats and a GM that catered to your selfish playing style.

wait, he hasn't gotten up yet, you can still get a couple of kicks in.

Never liked the guy, but no reason to flat out **** on him. He was no worse off to the leauge than the ton of racists, bigots and players that flat out stole money from people's pockets and infested this leauge. I hate that his ego got the best of him, and he could not cope with his age and inability to adjust his game, but I never shut off the tv when he was playing. Tough as nails and played like it. Don't like him as a player, it's clear why he never won the big one, but his playing style and game is reminiscent of all the kids playing street basketball. I liked watching him go 1 v 5 and still come out victorious 50% of the time. There should have been someone with the balls to stop him from self destructing himself, but seeing as how he was his own worst enemy, maybe it was supposed to end like this all the time. Thanks for the memories, AI - good, bad, and just plain weird ones.

NOV. 25, 2009
TO ALL OF MY FANS:

I would like to announce my plans to retire from the National Basketball Association. I always thought that when I left the game, it would be because I couldn’t help my team the way that I was accustomed to. However, that is not the case.

I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play, and a whole lot left in my tank. I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level.

Stepping away from the game will allow me to spend quality time with my wife and kids. This is a reward that far exceeds anything that I’ve ever achieved on the basketball court. I have prayed for this day and I see it as my greatest gift.

I want to thank the people of Reebok International Ltd., for always allowing me to be me and for supporting me my whole career through all the ups and downs. I have enjoyed 13 wonderful seasons in the NBA, and I am grateful.

I want to first acknowledge my fans everywhere, who have been with me throughout my entire career. Without you, there would be no me. You should all know that I appreciate your support from the bottom of my heart. Thank you!

To Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Charles Barkley and Larry Bird, you guys gave me the vision to play the game that will be forever in my heart.

To my Mom, who encouraged and inspired me to play every day, and to all of my family and friends who stood by me from the beginning. Thank you!

To my high school coach, Michael Bailey, Coach John Thompson at Georgetown University, Coach Larry Brown and to all of my other coaches, teammates, administrators, owners and staff who’ve been a part of my career, Thank you as well!

I’d like to give a special thanks to the people of Memphis. I never played a home game for your beloved Grizzlies, but I want you to know how much I appreciate the opportunity given me by a great owner in Michael Heisley, and the support of the city. I wish the Memphis Grizzlies’ organization all of the success that the game has to offer.

And finally, to the city of Philadelphia: I have wonderful memories of my days in a Sixers’ uniform. To Philly fans, thank you. Your voice will always be music to my ears.

God Bless all of you,

ALLEN IVERSON

Love these publicists... who actually believes these guys actually talk like this... They sound like retards in person. Should at least make their statements at least sound like it comes from them lol.

AI was never the same after he left Philly. And outside of 2001, he really didn't have that impressive of a career. really...

But on that note, he single-handedly.. (well, outside of Dikembe..) carried that Philly team to the NBA Finals.

if this happens....iverson, zebo, artest, stephen jackson, steph marbury all with the lakers?... that would make my day i guess.... watching these guys egos clash

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Love these publicists... who actually believes these guys actually talk like this... They sound like retards in person. Should at least make their statements at least sound like it comes from them lol.

LMAO!! I was thinking the same thing. It is too nicely written for AI to have written that. AI just does not talk like this even if it is how he feels.

A few years ago, AI was actually fun to watch. He could break down a defense like no other. Didn't particularly care for his me 1st (or was that me only) style of play, but what he could do to a defense was simply amazing. As someone mentioned before, he could not adapt his syle of play to others games and since he left Philly, he was just not the same.

A

AriesMar27

hate to see him go... kinda sucks that he couldnt become a player that could adapt to the change in uniforms... he is still a really good player but just wasnt a good fit for the pistons or grizzlies... i honestly think the the nuggets wouldve been just as good last season with iverson as they were and are with billups. the nuggets winning last year had more to do with carmelo growing as a player than it did billups being their pg. the nuggets played carter at pg a lot last year and chauncey at sg when jr smith wasnt in the game.

\ i honestly think the the nuggets wouldve been just as good last season with iverson as they were and are with billups. the nuggets winning last year had more to do with carmelo growing as a player than it did billups being their pg.
you know that's not true. There can only be one ball dominant scorer on that team, and that is Carmelo. Iverson slowed the pace, was a liability on the defensive and and did not involve teammates. Billups brings much more to the table than numbers, and Carmelo and Iverson had their time to click. Something had to give, and it was the aging superstar that could not change his game. Yes, Carmelo's maturation had a lot to do with it, but Billups is the stabilizing factor that rectified this team. No way they're the same with Iverson.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
“I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play, and a whole lot left in my tank. I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level.”

Well it was pretty obvious given this statement that his desire to retire from the NBA wasn't genuine, but more of a knee jerk "everybody feel sorry for me now" reaction to whatever went down in Memphis.

But here's a completely hypothetical question, if your back court rotation consists of Willie Green, Jrue Holiday, Royal Ivey, and the currently injured Louis Williams... what have you really got to lose by hiring Allen Iverson for the year? These are not future stars in the making you're taking minutes from.