It's early, but anybody have a draft wish list yet?

Bad idea! The very thought makes me want to vomit. This is the best and the deepest draft in the last 10 or 15 years, and you want to trade away a possible superstar. We got Tyreke through the draft and we got Cousins through the draft. And they are the future of this team. There is no way I trade away Anthony Davis, Drummond, Gilchrist, Henson, Barnes, and I could go on. If you want a veteran player, then go sign one in freeagency, or trade someone off the roster for one. But don't trade away a potential star that could be part of the team for years to come. There are at least 6 players, if not more, that would have been the 1st pick in the draft last year. Now thats just my opinion, but its a fairly well informed one.
if the pick goes right, we'll have a stud for at least 7-8 years locked. hopefully by that time, we'll be contending for championships as our young guys reach their prime.

this might sound stupid but what happend if a player doesnt like his draft team...

and the timing good because i think i can watch the first few hours... do they talk alot before the draft or just during it
As Aleksander has very succinctly pointed out, he can go the Steve Francis route and pout and ***** until he gets traded, or he can just sign and tough it out until he's a free agent. If he wants to be re-drafted, then he has to refrain from playing professional basketball for a year, then he can re-enter the draft again. Throwing away a year of basketball is a very difficult thing to do if you're a young player, so that's why that almost never happens. Most US players don't push it once they're drafted, they're more concerned about how high they go nowadays because that means more money. The international players tend to be more picky because continuing to play overseas is a more than acceptable fallback plan for them.

They'll usually have a half-hour pre-draft segment beforehand.

I'm starting to get really really high on Marshall out of UNC. I haven't seen a floor general like him out of college really since the days of CP3 and Deron Williams. The guy just knows how to run a basketball team and would solve a lot of the current problems we're having right now. His offensive game is really iffy and he has questions about his athleticism, but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him if we somehow got a another 1st round pick in the 16-23 range.

Unfortunately it won't happen as it essentially would say we've given up on Jimmer

oh ok i think i will be able to see the entire thing then :) looking forward to it

what happends if your not drafted especially if you came out of collage early...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
As Aleksander has very succinctly pointed out, he can go the Steve Francis route and pout and ***** until he gets traded, or he can just sign and tough it out until he's a free agent. If he wants to be re-drafted, then he has to refrain from playing professional basketball for a year, then he can re-enter the draft again. Throwing away a year of basketball is a very difficult thing to do if you're a young player, so that's why that almost never happens. Most US players don't push it once they're drafted, they're more concerned about how high they go nowadays because that means more money. The international players tend to be more picky because continuing to play overseas is a more than acceptable fallback plan for them.

They'll usually have a half-hour pre-draft segment beforehand.
I was going to post that same thing, but then I haven't read the new CBA. I doubt that rule has changed, but until I see it in black and white I'll wait. I'm referring to sitting out a year and then re-entering your name in the draft.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
oh ok i think i will be able to see the entire thing then :) looking forward to it

what happends if your not drafted especially if you came out of collage early...
If your draft elligible, and your not drafted, then your a freeagent and can sign with any team that gives you the best offer. Many undrafted players sign to play in europe. Those that can get an invite by a team to summer league, will usually hold off signing overseas for a while, hoping for a training camp invite. I think its the NBA's desire for the developmental league to eventually be the destination of the better players.

A top 3 pick could swing a franchise around, but we never seem to get those. Billy Owens was our last top 3 pick, and he turned into Mitch Richmond, who then turned into Chris Webber.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Oh I definently have a draft wish, in about a month and a half or so we can fully start discussing this more into detail because by then the Kings will probably be 8-25 or something like that. It's just so damn unfortunate that we never seem to crack in the top 3. sigh.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Quincy Miller from Baylor.

He's a versatile 6'9" SF with length, a great handle, and is already putting up great production to couple with his upside. I like him a lot more than his fellow Bear Perry Jones III, who's reputation of lacking both fire and production has not improved since HS one bit IMO. Q's weakness at this point is his rebounding - and it's always been his weakness from what I've read, so don't expect much of a change there. But I do think he's a strong SF prospect that will end up in the top 6 come draft night.

Really hope this is the year that management gets aggressive and secures two top lottery picks instead of taking what's given to them...that would really accelerate the rebuilding process and has proven to do so in noted rebuild projects in Portland and OKC.

guys I want in the draft so far:

Harrison barnes is the #1 guy I want. his jumper is silky smooth he reminds me of Kobe and has an NBA ready game. he's probably #1 or #2 pick tho and I doubt we pick that high.

Michael gilchrist great sf prospect, great defender high energy with some scoring ability. would add the sf we've been trying to get for years. has been compared to Gerald Wallace for the way he plays which would be perfect.

Thomas Robinson. PF Kansas would give us a dominant twin towers with cousins. Thomas Robinson is as dominant a rebounder as cousins he's averaging 13+ a game and 18+ppg. he's super cut and muscular, great hops, powerful jams, good scorer. the athletic leaper with muscles to cousins immovable object.

John henson PF UNC. if we end up picking later like 10th pick and those guys are gone and the elite prospects are gone I'd take Henson. he's a stretch Armstrong he is super long his wingspan is ridiculous and he gets a ton of rebounds and blocks. has a great basketball IQ, great timing on blocks and rebounds.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
guys I want in the draft so far:

Harrison barnes is the #1 guy I want. his jumper is silky smooth he reminds me of Kobe and has an NBA ready game. he's probably #1 or #2 pick tho and I doubt we pick that high.

Michael gilchrist great sf prospect, great defender high energy with some scoring ability. would add the sf we've been trying to get for years. has been compared to Gerald Wallace for the way he plays which would be perfect.

Thomas Robinson. PF Kansas would give us a dominant twin towers with cousins. Thomas Robinson is as dominant a rebounder as cousins he's averaging 13+ a game and 18+ppg. he's super cut and muscular, great hops, powerful jams, good scorer. the athletic leaper with muscles to cousins immovable object.

John henson PF UNC. if we end up picking later like 10th pick and those guys are gone and the elite prospects are gone I'd take Henson. he's a stretch Armstrong he is super long his wingspan is ridiculous and he gets a ton of rebounds and blocks. has a great basketball IQ, great timing on blocks and rebounds.
I don't think you can go wrong with Barnes, but right now, I like both Quincy Miller and Michael Gilchrist a little better. Miller has really impressed for being a freshman. He had almost become, "The Guy" as a freshman for Baylor, until Perry Jones came back from his suspension. He almost immediately deferred to Jones, who has a few good games, actually, impressive games, and then went back to being the Perry Jones from last season. Of late, Miller has come on again, scoring 29 points in a tough loss yesterday to Missouri. He's long at 6'9". He can shoot the ball, or put it on the floor. He's also a very good athlete. I've already expounded on Gilchrist many times, so I'll spare you that. But I'll take any of the three.

I love Thomas Robinson, and I predict he'll be a bigger star in the NBA than Sullinger will. He's not quite as skilled in the post as Sullinger, but he's twice the athlete, with a very aggressive nature, and a build like Dwight Howard. The sky's the limit for him.

Henson isn't my first choice for a shotblocker, but he's certainly my default pick. If you looking for a shotblocker and your picking at 11 or 12, you'd be crazy to pass on him, unless your needs are multiple, and there's a better choice at SF or PG, etc. I'd still love to get Anthony Davis who is a shotblocking machine. He may well set the all time NCAA record for blocked shots this year. When last checked, he was averaging well over 4 blocks a game. And thats against the best competition in college basketball. Unlike Whiteside who was also prolific, but against inferior competition. We'd have to get very lucky to get him.

I like Drummonds potential, but right now he's playing way below his standard. Another year in school might be the best thing for him, because at times he just looks lost, and unfortunately, disinterested.

I don't think you can go wrong with Barnes, but right now, I like both Quincy Miller and Michael Gilchrist a little better. Miller has really impressed for being a freshman. He had almost become, "The Guy" as a freshman for Baylor, until Perry Jones came back from his suspension. He almost immediately deferred to Jones, who has a few good games, actually, impressive games, and then went back to being the Perry Jones from last season. Of late, Miller has come on again, scoring 29 points in a tough loss yesterday to Missouri. He's long at 6'9". He can shoot the ball, or put it on the floor. He's also a very good athlete. I've already expounded on Gilchrist many times, so I'll spare you that. But I'll take any of the three.

I love Thomas Robinson, and I predict he'll be a bigger star in the NBA than Sullinger will. He's not quite as skilled in the post as Sullinger, but he's twice the athlete, with a very aggressive nature, and a build like Dwight Howard. The sky's the limit for him.

Henson isn't my first choice for a shotblocker, but he's certainly my default pick. If you looking for a shotblocker and your picking at 11 or 12, you'd be crazy to pass on him, unless your needs are multiple, and there's a better choice at SF or PG, etc. I'd still love to get Anthony Davis who is a shotblocking machine. He may well set the all time NCAA record for blocked shots this year. When last checked, he was averaging well over 4 blocks a game. And thats against the best competition in college basketball. Unlike Whiteside who was also prolific, but against inferior competition. We'd have to get very lucky to get him.

I like Drummonds potential, but right now he's playing way below his standard. Another year in school might be the best thing for him, because at times he just looks lost, and unfortunately, disinterested.
Bajaden, put together a list of top SFs for us to watch this year. rank them as well. thanks

Going back to the original question: If we were to get the 1st pick, it IMHO it should be Anthony Davis (who I think with several more years of working on his offense, could be another Tim Duncan); 2nd to 4th Pick: Thomas Robinson (Kansas PF), or maybe Drummond if he could be motivated; 5th to 9th: Quincy Miller, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, or Harrison Barnes; 10th to 14th: John Henson, Jeremy Lamb or Perry Jones III. Within each range, I've listed my favorites in order. Most of these have been discussed in prior posts.

I haven't really watched Thomas Robinson at all this year, can someone give me kind of a run down on his offensive game?
Unfortunately I haven't seen him play a lot yet this year due to college etc., but from what I've read and the little I've seen, he's a very athletic player. A lot of explosiveness, very strong, great rebounder. He's 6'9'' so good size for PF position. Not awfully skilled (yet) - actually I probably should say refined - but has a solid feel and still contributes on offense. I don't see any reason that he couldn't develop into a very nice offensive player (and defensive potential is certainly there). I actually really like Robinson, I just wish I'd seen more to give me a better feel for him. Baja will be able to go into more detail. As of now, though, I definitely wouldn't be upset with landing him, even though PF isn't our biggest need now.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you asked for a run down on his offensive game. I'll leave that to those who have seen him more than me!

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately I haven't seen him play a lot yet this year due to college etc., but from what I've read and the little I've seen, he's a very athletic player. A lot of explosiveness, very strong, great rebounder. He's 6'9'' so good size for PF position. Not awfully skilled (yet) - actually I probably should say refined - but has a solid feel and still contributes on offense. I don't see any reason that he couldn't develop into a very nice offensive player (and defensive potential is certainly there). I actually really like Robinson, I just wish I'd seen more to give me a better feel for him. Baja will be able to go into more detail. As of now, though, I definitely wouldn't be upset with landing him, even though PF isn't our biggest need now.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you asked for a run down on his offensive game. I'll leave that to those who have seen him more than me!
I plan on doing a bigger write up on him when I cover the PF's on the prospect fourm. But in short, Robinson is another one of those high energy bunnies whose motor never quits. He measured out at the Adios consulor games at 6'10" in shoes. Not sure how true that is, but until he's officially measured at the combine I'll go with it. He also had a 7'1" wingspan. He's pretty raw right now since he didn't get much playing time at Kansas behind the Morris twins. He's a terrific athlete and a quick leaper. He runs the floor extremely well and his rebounds per minute were close to the best in college last year. His ballhandling needs work, but if he can master it, he'd be very hard to guard on the face up. He has a very very quick first step. His post game right now consists of putbacks, and quick spin moves. Very little finese.

He also has a midrange jumpshot. He seldom took it last year, but has been shooting more this year with some success. He has good form on the shot, so with work, it can be an effective weapon for him. As I said, he's raw, but he has a lot of potential, and a great work ethic. In short, he's driven to be good. He's a different kind of player than Sullinger, who is ground bound, and he's the kind of player that could give Sullinger fits on the defensive side. It would be an interesting matchup.

Im a big Kansas fan. ive watched Robinson play la lot and i definitely like him. One other aspect to think about, this guy is mentally tough. His mother, and both grandparent died in a 1 month period and this kid continued to play and at a high level. He has a little sister who lives with him i believe, and so i think he takes on a role model mentality, and isnt a renegade selfish s*** head like a Cousins. He was forced to be a man and act like an adult with all of his tragedies and i think he is mentally stronger because of it.

The best way to watch\understand how great Gilchrist is - and the times he shines at, is in the big and importent games.

This kid just has so much fire in him. Davis is an amazing talent on his own right and pretty held back from coach Cal from showcasing his other skills, like passing - and is not nearly as limited as his "Marcus Camby" role in UK might suggest(and he has a pretty wide frame that can fill up great, that makes me not be concered about the weight down the line - as opposed to John Henson for example) - but Gilchrist is just this guy you want on your team no matter what.

I don't think either is in our range tho as I think both are top 5 picks(Again, in the NCAA tournement when the importent big games come by - Gilchrist's stock is gonna skyrocket - and it's already high enough for top 5 tbh), and I doubt we will make it to top 5 in next years draft.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I saw Robinson when he played two years ago as a freshman and raved about him on this board as a hyper-athletic guy with a lot of raw talent. He virtually won a game I saw with his athleticism and hustle and nothing more. Nice to see that he's refining his game. The guy has monster talent.

When he was a roleplayer Robinson led the nation in OffReb rate as well as personal foul rate because of that. This season he's the leader of the team so he cannot be as aggressive, also he more often drifts outside so his off. rebounding is not that impressive but now he's leading def.rebounder in the nation. And he's very athletic(good hops, very strong AND quick), with decent handle for a big and something resembling a mid-range jumper. The only thing he's not is a lane protector. Looking into the second round and beyond two guys impress me alot: Tyshawn Taylor from Kansas as a second-round pick and Ricardo Ratliffe from Mizzou as undrafted free agent. Taylor is not great at running the team or finishing inside (he gets to the line a lot though) but he can find his niche as an excellent defender at PG who can light it up from the perimeter if left open. He's equally good shooting from set position and off the dribble. Ratliffe is an excellent finisher, very good rebounder and decent post defender.

Scott Machado, PG for Iona (see Baja's writeup of him in "Prospects" Forum), will be on ESPNU at 4pm Pacific Time today. A rare opportunity to catch him on TV before March Madness should Iona get in. Also, Kansas plays Iowa State on ESPN 11am PT Saturday) where you can see Thomas Robinson, PF for Kansas play. Should be a fun game to watch.

Last edited:
Davis has fallen and hurt his shoulder could be a bad injury
Fortunately he's ok.

Then he got pulled down from behind on a break-away and that looked bad. The LSU player was correctly hit with a Flagrant 2 and tossed, and Davis was able to shoot both making 1 of 2, and continue in the game.

Then later he was smashed in the face on an offensive put-back slam, which wasn't caught by the officials.

He got beat up, but looks as if he'll come away from the game injury-free, aside from some bruises.