Is Tom Cruise nuts?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can't put too much stock into a "religion" formed by a man (L. Ron Hubbard) who, as a science fiction writer, said at a sci-fi convention, "I don't know why I'm doing this. The only way to really get rich is to start your own religion."

---------------------------------------

As far as Tom Cruise goes, I've lost any respect I ever had for him...and I'm actually concerned about Katie Holmes. She has a constant Scientologist "advisor" with her - sounds like some sort of weird cult control to me.

T

thesanityannex

Like Iceman said in Top Gun, "You're dangerous Maverick"

Val Kilmer was right all along, looks like Katie Holmes is the new wingman.

VF21 said:
I can't put too much stock into a "religion" formed by a man (L. Ron Hubbard) who, as a science fiction writer, said at a sci-fi convention, "I don't know why I'm doing this. The only way to really get rich is to start your own religion."

---------------------------------------

As far as Tom Cruise goes, I've lost any respect I ever had for him...and I'm actually concerned about Katie Holmes. She has a constant Scientologist "advisor" with her - sounds like some sort of weird cult control to me.
Ding..ding..ding..we have a winner. I read in one article, when Katie Holmes couldn't think of what to say, that her "advisor/best friend" said.."You adore him". How creepy is that??

Hmmmmm......I wonder if that's why when Dianetics came out and my mom came home with a copy that she promptly hid it from my brother and I. Guess she didn't want her kids to become cultists.

Here's some question that you get asked during the Scientology reading, where I believe they have you hooked up to some sort of lie detector device to measure your responses to their questions. Here's a link (scroll down a couple of paragraphs) that has the questions, the list is too long to post here directly.

Here's the first couple of them...

• Have you ever enslaved a population?
  • Have you ever implanted anyone?
  • Have you ever sacked a city?
  • Have you ever sunk, or otherwise destroyed, a non-combatant vessel?
  • Have you ever abused hostages, or prisoners?
  • Have you ever ordered, or yourself committed, genocide?
  • Have you ever annihilated a population?
  • Have you ever poisoned food or drinking supplies?
  • Have you ever strangled anyone?
  • Have you ever deliberately spread disease?
  • Have you ever degraded a religion?
  • Have you ever raped a child of either sex?
  • Have you ever warped an educational system?
  • Have you ever deprived people of hope?

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

PixelPusher said:
Here's some question that you get asked during the Scientology reading, where I believe they have you hooked up to some sort of lie detector device to measure your responses to their questions. Here's a link (scroll down a couple of paragraphs) that has the questions, the list is too long to post here directly.

Are these the requirements for acceptance?

thesanityannex said:
Are these the requirements for acceptance?
I'm not really certain, but I believe it's to advance a "level" in their religion. Probably someone else out there that can clear that up. I think the question are just supposed to get a rise out of you, make the little arms go zig-zaggy on their lie detector (they have a different name for it, but I don't remember what they call it).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hoopsfan said:
Ding..ding..ding..we have a winner. I read in one article, when Katie Holmes couldn't think of what to say, that her "advisor/best friend" said.."You adore him". How creepy is that??
That's way creepy.

I watched the Oprah show when it aired the first time because I've always liked Tom Cruise. What I saw creeped me out.

I saw excerpts of his appearance on the Today Show, which I don't watch because Katie Couric makes me hurl, and was shocked. In addition, his comments about Brooke Shields were totally off-base and unless he can prove HE'S suffered from post-partem depression I don't think he ought to be preaching to any woman.

I have liked Cruise since the first time I saw Risky Business. Unfortunately, that's now over. I cannot in good conscience spend my money on his movies.

I truly hope SOMEONE close to Katie Holmes who's NOT involved in Scientology is worried about her. I think they need to be.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Have you ever enslaved a population?
Once, but I was pretty nice to them. They had five parades in my honor and twice they did it on their own, without me having to threaten to kill them.

Have you ever implanted anyone?
Not the word I'd use, but yes. A romantic, homecooked meal, some candles and a little Al Green in the background. Then I'd softly whisper, "Let's do some implanting."

Have you ever sacked a city?
No, but once freshman year, as a third string safety, I sacked the quarterback. We still lost by 28 points.

Have you ever sunk, or otherwise destroyed, a non-combatant vessel?
Sadly yes. My sister was asleep on her inflatable raft, and I swam up and let the air out. The USS Julie sank and later caught in the filter.

Have you ever abused hostages, or prisoners?
Yes. While babysitting my younger brother, I locked him in a closet. Later I sat on his head. In college I held my girlfriend and let her puppy lick her feet. She laughed until she peed. I regret none of these acts.

Have you ever ordered, or yourself committed, genocide?
I've often said that ad executives that use my favorite songs in dumb commercials need to die. So far, I don't think anyone has followed up on my demand.

Have you ever annihilated a population?
Often while playing the following games: Sim City, Civilization and Icari Warriors.

Have you ever poisoned food or drinking supplies?
I once purposely sneezed in Kobe Bryant's Cheeseburger.

Have you ever strangled anyone?
No, but if I had a superpower it would be the ability to reach through the phone and choke telemarketers.

Have you ever deliberately spread disease?
Other than the cheeseburger? As a child, I gave the neighbor kids chicken pox. My mom had told me not to leave the house.

Have you ever degraded a religion?
Only if Scientology counts.

Have you ever raped a child of either sex?
Ok, there' no joke to be made on this one.

Have you ever warped an educational system?
My teachers certainly thought so. My senior English teacher told me I needed to die. My junior History teacher told me he wished I would become a teacher and have students just like me. He got his wish.

Have you ever deprived people of hope?
Well, this is a Kings board. And I have been honest.

VF21 said:
That's way creepy.

I watched the Oprah show when it aired the first time because I've always liked Tom Cruise. What I saw creeped me out.

I saw excerpts of his appearance on the Today Show, which I don't watch because Katie Couric makes me hurl, and was shocked. In addition, his comments about Brooke Shields were totally off-base and unless he can prove HE'S suffered from post-partem depression I don't think he ought to be preaching to any woman.

I have liked Cruise since the first time I saw Risky Business. Unfortunately, that's now over. I cannot in good conscience spend my money on his movies.

I truly hope SOMEONE close to Katie Holmes who's NOT involved in Scientology is worried about her. I think they need to be.
I agree 100%!!

Have you ever deprived people of hope?
On a daily basis, I'm afraid.

As an aside, I got a letter in the mail today informing me that I have to go through some horrible paperwork nightmare -- it was signed by "N. Graham."

I'm not thrilled about the bureaucratic BS that awaits me, but that did give me a good chuckle.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PixelPusher said:

Okay, so if my answer to most of those is "yes" (I don;t even want to talk about the disgusting child rape thing), does that mean I get to be the Grand Poobah of Scientology or something? or am I stuck with my urinating Venetian mites?

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
He's been with Scioentology for a decade at least thogh. This recent burst of bizareness is just weird. I dunno, ocuple it with a slightly creepy relationship with a girl who claims she grew up wanting to marry him (ok, I might not sya no either ;) ), and maybe a mid-life crisis?
he finally fired his publicist who had been keeping him shut up. god bless him/her for diong so for so many years

Here's some of my favorite questions from the list:

• Did you come to Earth for evil purposes?
  • Have you ever destroyed farmland, crops, or breeding stock?
  • Have you ever despoiled a planet of its natural resources?
  • Have you ever lost a doll body entrusted to you? :confused:
  • Have you ever made a planet, or nation, radioactive?
  • Have you ever systematically set up mysteries?
  • Have you ever made nothing of yourself? (guilty! :D)
  • Have you ever shot, or stabbed, someone in the back?
  • Have you ever demonstrated that communication is impossible?
  • Have you ever started a war? (sorry George W, your out.)
  • Have you deliberately set property afire? (sorry Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes, your out)
  • Have you ever blown anything up? (sorry Kobe, you blew up the Lakers, so your out)
  • Have you ever assisted an evildoer?
  • Have you ever tortured another with electrical, or electronic, devices? (does always beating my brother at video games count?)
  • Have you ever killed your own body? (see this pic)
  • Have you ever zapped anyone?
  • Have you given robots a bad name?
  • Have you ever been a pimp? (I still AM, Yo! :cool: )
and my favorite...
  • Is there anything the people of Earth had better not find out about you? (Yes...but I'm not gonna tell...:D)

Last edited:
VF21 said:
That's way creepy.

Agreed-I think Katie Holmes is too sweet for her own good.

Long ago, my brother worked as a salesman for a company, and his boss was a scientologist. He said the guy was like a zombie with glazed-over eyes. His boss was always trying to get the employees to attend some scientology-run business seminar. I have to admit that years ago, my interest was piqued for Scientology. I didn't have many friends and was also looking for direction in my life (just the kind of person cults love to recruit!). I started to read one book about it and almost filled out one of those Scientology questionnaires that you sometimes find stuck in the middle of magazines and sent it in, which then would of triggered a meeting with our local Sci. office. Thank goodness I never went through with it. Otherwise you might now be hearing me talk about how the Kings have never won the championship yet because they have way too many engrams and thetons....

T

thesanityannex

VF21 said:
I guess her parents are absolutely furious with her and nutso.

I was never crazy about Tom.... I mean, he was alright, but I never LOVED him nor did I belong to "I hate Tom" club. However, I could help but change my opinion of him completely, based on his behavious in the past couple of months. And when I say change, I mean I lost any type of respect i had for him.... He is ..... strange (to put it mildly). Katie needs to get herself together and run in the oposite direction.... run as fast as she can! All of his comments regarding Brooke Shields and her treatment are ridiculous. I mean, since when does he know what it feels like to give birth to a child and then suffer from the depression?! I feel bad for her (and every other woman) that had to deal with this depression... And his interview on the Today Show... well, I am not sure where to even begin commenting on that one!

T

thesanityannex

TheSerbianQueen said:
. I mean, since when does he know what it feels like to give birth to a child and then suffer from the depression?! !
Well, I think he gave birth to a baby alien last month. And he will feel the depression when he reads the reviews on War of the Worlds.

To answer the question this thread poses..YES! Tom Cruise IS nuts! I thought he was nuts from the moment I heard that he was divorcing Nicole Kidman...she is one of my favorite celebrities, and just an amazing person and the fact that he could just drop her when she thought everything was going fine has always baffled me. From then on I have never liked him...and everyday I like him even less.

You know..I never really liked Nicole Kidman when she was with Tom, (Whom I've never really liked anyways). But now that she's not with him anymore, I like her a whole lot better.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
L.A. Brian said:
Here's part of a rather creepy interview with Holmes (with her Scientologist "best friend" handler watching over her) sounding positively zombified.

http://www.style.com/w/feat_story/070505/full_page.html

I hope her parents read this and realize how quickly she's been deprogrammed.
I think you mean she needs to be deprogrammed.

;)

On the day we meet, Holmes tells me she's not a Scientologist. (Three days later, in Europe, she will announce that she has converted.) "You know, it's really exciting," the actress says of the religion. "I just started auditing"—Scientology's word for receiving spiritual counseling—"and I'm taking some courses, and I really like it. I feel it's really helping. What I like about it is that, you know, I was raised Catholic, and you can be a Catholic and a Scientologist, Jewish and a Scientologist." Holmes went to Notre Dame Academy, a Catholic high school in Toledo, and was accepted at Columbia University before she landed the role of the lovelorn tomboy Joey Potter on Dawson's Creek. Her parents, devout Catholics, are said to be a weekly fixture at Christ the King church in Toledo. "I'm learning," Holmes says, as the makeup artist applies eye shadow, "to celebrate my own spirit, my own being."

No pressure from Cruise, she swears: "That's really ludicrous because, I mean, you have to know Tom. He is the most loving, generous man who… first of all, he wants to help people. He doesn't put pressure on people. He is the kindest, smartest, most adoring man. It's a pleasure and a privilege to be with him."

As if that weren't already perfectly clear, just then a security guard lumbers into the dressing room and presents Holmes with a giant silver box tied in a thick purple ribbon. A small crowd gathers to watch her gleefully tear open the package and pluck out a Chanel diamond necklace—a gift, naturally, from Cruise. "He's my man! He's my man!" she screams, then jumps up on her chair to do an impression of her fiancé's now-famous sofa shtick from Oprah.
That's scary stuff...reminiscent of some of the weirder cult stuff you used to hear about.

Did anyone see Oprah earlier this week? It was a new show, with Brooke Shields on again - along with some other women who had suffered from the same depression. NOTHING was said about Tom Cruise's rants, which leads me to believe Oprah may just have had enough. Jumping on her sofa was one thing; ridiculing women over something he could not possibly understand may just have been the straw that broke the camel's back as far as Oprah was concerned. I hope so. Oprah has a lot of influence on a lot of women and the message she sends them, by supporting Brooke Shields, could save a life.