Is "Light The Beam!" Forever?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
the question I now have is, will the beam transfer over to this season too or was that a one time event? stay tuned
I've been thinking about this since late March: what is the shelf life of The Beam? If the Kings become the perennial playoff team that you seem poised to be, or even better, do you continue to light the beam in perpetuity? Do you save it for big games and/or the playoffs? At what point does it become like the cowbell, where it crosses the barrier from neat thing that the fanbase rallies around into obnoxious?

I've been thinking about this since late March: what is the shelf life of The Beam? If the Kings become the perennial playoff team that you seem poised to be, or even better, do you continue to light the beam in perpetuity? Do you save it for big games and/or the playoffs? At what point does it become like the cowbell, where it crosses the barrier from neat thing that the fanbase rallies around into obnoxious?
Is there a barrier?

I dont know how the beam ITSELF could be obnoxious. The fans in re: to the beam tho is another story....

And I'm talking about fans on both sides of the aisle here.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I suppose it lasts as long as the players want it to, with some fan influence involved I'm sure and chants of light the beam since the Kings have some ground to make up to prove they aren't one time Playoff contenders like the Wolves were

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I dont know how the beam ITSELF could be obnoxious. The fans in re: to the beam tho is another story....
You're making a distinction here that I'm not; to me, the beam and Kings fans go hand in hand.

I don't think that the beam is inherently obnoxious, and I don't think that it's in imminent danger of becoming obnoxious. Nor am I crystal clear on where the line is, but I do believe that there is one. From my point of view the beam could become obnoxious if the Kings develop into a perennial powerhouse, because I feel like there will be an element of "Act like you've been there before." Or, if this season turned out to be a fluke, and the Kings are back to being a 30-win team three years from now, the beam might not be "obnoxious," per se, but it'll definitely be wack. On the other hand, I do like it when the Celtics play the Bee Gees after every home win, or when the Aces in the WNBA play Queen, or when the Kings used to play Ludacris, and those are kinda the same thing, so I'm not firm on where I stand on it. I guess it depends on whether/how the beam is marketed moving forward.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
For whatever its worth there are similar things to the beam in other sports, like the Angels light the halo around their big A after wins. They've been doing that for 50+ years. And the Angels sucked for a lot of em. I hope the beam has a long life.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For whatever its worth there are similar things to the beam in other sports, like the Angels light the halo around their big A after wins. They've been doing that for 50+ years. And the Angels sucked for a lot of em. I hope the beam has a long life.
I'm not sure, but I gather that the "halo lighting" isn't really a thing that the fans go rabid for. "Light The Halo!" has never been a thing that I was aware of. And therein may lie a difference.

Angels do a Thing, everybody pretty much ignores it or at the very least doesn't make a deal about it, Angels just keep doing it because it's just an arbitrary, barely-noticed Thing.

For that matter, basically all baseball teams do a 7th inning stretch and play Take Me Out To The Ballgame...but it's just a Thing. 50% of the people wouldn't even notice if it got skipped - including me. The last baseball game I went to, the middle of the 7th rolled around and people started standing up and I was like, "Oh, yeah, we're all going to do the Thing." If it hadn't happened, I wouldn't have noticed. Have I been to a baseball game where it DIDN'T happen? I don't know! Maybe, but I wouldn't have noticed. If the Angels didn't light up the halo one night following a win that I knew happened, would I (as a hypothetical SoCal resident) notice driving by on the 5 that it was dark? No chance.

Kings do a Thing that can hardly be ignored, market it to the roof (literally), the fans go crazy over it, they chant for it, they post about it incessantly on social media, Thing becomes a brand-centered culturally-significant Phenomenon. People go outside their homes miles away to see if they can get a glimpse of it (for the record, on a clear night from the fields north of Davis, no...maybe if there were some cloud cover to catch it). National media write about it. There are images, and memes. Crazy people go to the trouble of editing animated .gifs like this:

Or like this:

We are definitely dealing with two different classes of, for lack of a better category to fit them both, Tradition.

Clearly just a Thing can carry on for a long time. But it's pretty likely that a Phenomenon cannot be a Phenomenon forever. Humans have too much of a penchant for novelty for forever to happen. So then the question becomes, what happens when the Phenomenon is not a Phenomenon any more? One possibility is that it just becomes a Thing. But another possibility is that it begins to look old and dated in a way that something that started out as a Thing never does, and it has to be dropped. Which happens? I don't know. How long before it begins to come to a head? Well, I'd wager that it won't be before this Sacramento era's championship window is closed. Hopefully that's 10 years and 3 rings down the road. But for all we know (God forbid) it could be next year we're rebuilding again. But my guess is that The Beam is the symbol and identity of this upswing. The Webber/Peja/Divac years were the Glory Era whose gimmick was the Bench Mob. The Fox/Sabonis/Murray?? years are the Beam Team. After that, we probably let it go. My guess.

Kings do a Thing that can hardly be ignored, market it to the roof (literally), the fans go crazy over it, they chant for it, they post about it incessantly on social media, Thing becomes a brand-centered culturally-significant Phenomenon. People go outside their homes miles away to see if they can get a glimpse of it (for the record, on a clear night from the fields north of Davis, no...maybe if there were some cloud cover to catch it).
Agree with pretty much this whole post, however...didn't they make an upgrade to the power of the beam recently? Could swear I saw it posted that it was gonna be even beamier this season. I'm all in on it for as long as they do it/as long as this core sticks around and it's not going anywhere for a couple seasons at the very least. Beam Team is the best thing to happen to this team in FOREVER.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
We are definitely dealing with two different classes of, for lack of a better category to fit them both, Tradition.

Clearly just a Thing can carry on for a long time. But it's pretty likely that a Phenomenon cannot be a Phenomenon forever. Humans have too much of a penchant for novelty for forever to happen. So then the question becomes, what happens when the Phenomenon is not a Phenomenon any more? One possibility is that it just becomes a Thing. But another possibility is that it begins to look old and dated in a way that something that started out as a Thing never does, and it has to be dropped. Which happens? I don't know. How long before it begins to come to a head?
I reckon that this is a rather more delicate/diplomatic way to say what I was trying to express.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Agree with pretty much this whole post, however...didn't they make an upgrade to the power of the beam recently? Could swear I saw it posted that it was gonna be even beamier this season. I'm all in on it for as long as they do it/as long as this core sticks around and it's not going anywhere for a couple seasons at the very least. Beam Team is the best thing to happen to this team in FOREVER.
Yes, they did say that they upgraded it after the season. We'll see about how that goes come October!

I'm not super hopeful, though, because the ability to see a laser in the air relies on the light being scattered by dust/water vapor. If there's enough dust/water in the air to scatter enough of the beam, then there's also probably enough dust/water in the intervening 12-15 miles to absorb the scatter. That's why I figure a cloud deck is the best - the scatter off the cloud deck would be huge, but the air below it may be relatively clear enough for the purple glow at the bottom of the cloud to get that far.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Since there were almost as many posts about The Beam as there were about the National TV Schedule in the National TV Schedule thread, I've moved these out to their own discussion.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Agree with the previous post that as long as this core is here, this is the Beam Team. Now maybe the core evolves to add more or different pieces and it just keeps going. I don’t see why it can’t go on forever.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm not sure, but I gather that the "halo lighting" isn't really a thing that the fans go rabid for. "Light The Halo!" has never been a thing that I was aware of. And therein may lie a difference.

Angels do a Thing, everybody pretty much ignores it or at the very least doesn't make a deal about it, Angels just keep doing it because it's just an arbitrary, barely-noticed Thing.

For that matter, basically all baseball teams do a 7th inning stretch and play Take Me Out To The Ballgame...but it's just a Thing. 50% of the people wouldn't even notice if it got skipped - including me. The last baseball game I went to, the middle of the 7th rolled around and people started standing up and I was like, "Oh, yeah, we're all going to do the Thing." If it hadn't happened, I wouldn't have noticed. Have I been to a baseball game where it DIDN'T happen? I don't know! Maybe, but I wouldn't have noticed. If the Angels didn't light up the halo one night following a win that I knew happened, would I (as a hypothetical SoCal resident) notice driving by on the 5 that it was dark? No chance.

Kings do a Thing that can hardly be ignored, market it to the roof (literally), the fans go crazy over it, they chant for it, they post about it incessantly on social media, Thing becomes a brand-centered culturally-significant Phenomenon. People go outside their homes miles away to see if they can get a glimpse of it (for the record, on a clear night from the fields north of Davis, no...maybe if there were some cloud cover to catch it). National media write about it. There are images, and memes. Crazy people go to the trouble of editing animated .gifs like this:

Or like this:

Clearly just a Thing can carry on for a long time. But it's pretty likely that a Phenomenon cannot be a Phenomenon forever. Humans have too much of a penchant for novelty for forever to happen. So then the question becomes, what happens when the Phenomenon is not a Phenomenon any more? One possibility is that it just becomes a Thing. But another possibility is that it begins to look old and dated in a way that something that started out as a Thing never does, and it has to be dropped. Which happens? I don't know. How long before it begins to come to a head? Well, I'd wager that it won't be before this Sacramento era's championship window is closed. Hopefully that's 10 years and 3 rings down the road. But for all we know (God forbid) it could be next year we're rebuilding again. But my guess is that The Beam is the symbol and identity of this upswing. The Webber/Peja/Divac years were the Glory Era whose gimmick was the Bench Mob. The Fox/Sabonis/Murray?? years are the Beam Team. After that, we probably let it go. My guess.
Taking this from wikipedia:
The halo lights up after every Angels win (regardless of whether it happens at home or on the road), which gives rise to the catchphrase "Light That Baby Up!" amongst Angels fans. (When Dick Enberg was an Angels broadcaster in the 1970s, he would punctuate the team's victories with the phrase "And the halo shines tonight!")
I think this is the phenomenon vs. thing effect. Seems like people were more excited in the 70s than today. I have zero idea because the Angels are of zero interest to me, I just happened to stay next to the park the last time I visited my sister :D

In short: YES.

It's forever. Look, I know the offseason is long and we need things to discuss, but this is the one topic that should be a no brainer: the beam stays forever. You can't ever "uninstall" the beam. And you can't not light it after a win. It's probably the best marketing/fan rallying thing this franchise has ever created... since the beginning. I don't even need to find a corollary from another team or sport, it doesn't matter. You know a good thing when you see it. The beam stays.

It for sure will be I just think it will be more subtle ie no more pressing a big fake button. I see it as similar to the Cubs W flag and that has been around since the 40s

It for sure will be I just think it will be more subtle ie no more pressing a big fake button. I see it as similar to the Cubs W flag and that has been around since the 40s
The tension between the fans chanting "Light The Beam!" with the coach's consternated look with three minutes to go and a 15 point lead in my Italian opinion is part of the charm.

Taking this from wikipedia:

I think this is the phenomenon vs. thing effect. Seems like people were more excited in the 70s than today. I have zero idea because the Angels are of zero interest to me, I just happened to stay next to the park the last time I visited my sister :D
The Angels thing was indeed the inspiration for the Beam - according the the President of Basketball Operations, John Reinhart, who conceived it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/... for the beam,different ideas," Ranadive said.
The idea for the beam came from John Rinehart, the Kings' president of business operations, who was inspired by a sign in the parking lot of the Los Angeles Angels' stadium, which lights up when the team wins. He pitched the idea to Ranadive, who was all in.

Laser beams do not have shelf lives, for they are eternal.

Last edited: