Is Demarcus a media punching bag?

An excellent article which highlights the absurd bias Sacramento and Cousins has had to deal with:
http://cowbellkingdom.com/sunday-musings-is-demarcus-cousins-a-media-punching-bag/

I'm as sick of Cousins pouting on the court as the next guy, and have lost patience with his immaturity standing between him and complete NBA dominance.
However, the blatant hypocrisy and bias of the NBA has been on FULL BLOWN DISPLAY since before Cuz even played one game.
For some reason, he is a lightning rod for every cheap shot the media wants to put out.

Scratch that - I know why he's a lightning rod for the media dumping on him every chance they get - because he's an easy target.

These "media types" are bullies - they will loose their venom on someone who can't fight back.
And it has been proven that OFF THE COURT, Demarcus lacks any power to control the media distortion of what goes on (He literally felt that he had to physically threaten Sean Elliot to stop the media attacks against him.).
He has few media defenders (mostly because of his behavior and body language on the court) and has to endure the most hatefully-slanderous home team broadcaster I know of in the NBA (Grant Napear).

Seriously - does anyone know of a home-team broadcaster who attacks their superstar player more than Napear does to Cousins?

So if anyone would like to link to biased articles against Cousins, or simply describe examples you've observed, we could collect them here.

I'll start:
IMO, the ending to the Paul Westphal debacle was entirely a manipulated message, setting up and blaming Demarcus for what was completely Westphal's blame.
IIRC, Westphal had made a huge issue and stated that players should be talking IN-HOUSE and privately to management/coaches if they had issues, suggestions, etc.
Then Demarcus took him up on that, and had a closed-door meeting (certainly shouting/arguing) that probably included Cuz losing his cool and saying "If you're going to keep playing me so wrong, then just trade me."
Then Westphal broke his word and cried to Geoff Petrie and then conducted one of the most embarrassing press conferences in Kings history by attacking his best player in public, thereby airing dirty laundry and completely contradicting his own words from earlier in the week.

Guess what organization (owners and General Manager) didn't publicly decry Westphal's actions and defend their player for standing up for himself (and by extension the good of the team)?

Guess how the media played this sequence out?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
There is no question about it. It's warranted too in my opinion. He established his image in his rookie season and hasn't let go of the gas pedal since...he's made some strides, I don't deny that, but I'm afraid you take the bad with the good and hope that when the team maybe starts piling up more wins he will settle down.

If the Kings start winning I think the media backs off and finds another player and/or team to bash. DMC has a negative image in the NBA but he is slowly improving. Winning will definitely help him. The media doesn't like him.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Eh, writers gotta write and Kings are click bait which makes DMC uber-click bait. I really don't care what they write and I hope DMC does not even read their crap. When the narrative changes I won't care either unless it in some way helps they guys.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In the past couple of days, Lebron stormed off the court in frustration over turnovers and defensive lapses AND the LA Clippers locker room was treated to a full-blown temper tantrum (complete with cursing) by Josh Smith. Neither of those two episodes garnered the type of media frenzy shown whenever DMC does anything...

I remember Cousins saying, that players get painred in certain ways by the media and the league, before their careers even start.
So in his case Cousins was the immature villain from the start, while players like Paul are just ultra competetive or players like Kobe are the faces of the league.
It's stupid and disgusting, but it works both ways, because some people will root for the underdog or the “bad“ guy.
But for the players this got to be frustrating as hell.

In the past couple of days, Lebron stormed off the court in frustration over turnovers and defensive lapses AND the LA Clippers locker room was treated to a full-blown temper tantrum (complete with cursing) by Josh Smith. Neither of those two episodes garnered the type of media frenzy shown whenever DMC does anything...
Where have you been this week? The media is trashing on the Clippers right now. It's a Clipsmas slaughter right now..

People will be more lenient on Lebron because he's proved he can carry a team all by himself, and win. Something Cuz has yet to do. Hopefully soon.

I remember Cousins saying, that players get painred in certain ways by the media and the league, before their careers even start.
So in his case Cousins was the immature villain from the start, while players like Paul are just ultra competetive or players like Kobe are the faces of the league.
It's stupid and disgusting, but it works both ways, because some people will root for the underdog or the “bad“ guy.
But for the players this got to be frustrating as hell.
No, it's because Paul and Kobe win, and can be the leader of their team. Cuz has not showed us that yet. The leader of this team is supposed to lead by example, Cuz himself admitted he still needs to become a lot better. No shame in this, because at least he sees there's a problem.

Until Cuz proves everyone wrong, the media will criticize him for yelling and arguing at refs at least 10times a game.

The national media, especially sports media, is a total joke and has been forever. But let's face facts, a journalist's job is not to write a fair and balanced story of truth and facts to inform the public of what is really happening, but to sell advertising space by writing anything that gets people to tune in, log on, or buy their paper; the days of people buying a specific paper because they had fair and respected journalists is gone. Nationally, small market teams and small market players will always be the villains, left off the list and overlooked. That is just cold, hard reality.

So the question arises, how do we weigh journalistic balance, professionalism, and integrity so people can know which media outlets are worth reading and which are pure garbage? That is a trend I would love to see come back around; journalism is important and should mean something, not just be a way to sell stuff.