Infographic: how diverse is your city?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Fisher was so fascinated by cartographer Bill Rankin’s race map of Chicago, that he created one for each of the top 40 U.S. cities using 2000 census data.

Here is New York for example, it containing areas of extreme ethnic concentration

In contrast here is Sacramento, known as the most diverse city in the US according to TIME and Wikipedia. I'm guessing since the data is 10 years old that the city has grown in it's diversity.

Here is the large divide in Washington DC

Here is the set on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157624812674967/with/5010983534/

I kind of feel fortunate enough to have been brought up in such a diverse city. This caught my interest recently because I had been living in Southern California recently and have noticed the large amounts of segregation in the different areas of the city. How people tend to react towards each other isn't as familiar with what I was raised with.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If there is one thing I dislike about Portland its how white the city is. Outside the city its even worse. We are a liberal city that is very open to cultural diversity in theory. I just don't see it in action and it gives me a little concern as an interracial parent even though school is a few years away.

L

LWP777

If there is one thing I dislike about Portland its how white the city is. Outside the city its even worse. We are a liberal city that is very open to cultural diversity in theory. I just don't see it in action and it gives me a little concern as an interracial parent even though school is a few years away.
Great post -- NOT. I sense you're one of the growing population of haters of whites in America. All this "diversity" stuff makes me sick. Who really cares anyway? People are people. Let's judge them on character -- not race. It just happens that since the beginning of time members of the same race usually stay together (live in the same neighborhoods, get married to each other, etc.). What does it really matter than your city is primarily "white?" As long as there are good people there, does it really matter? Are you saying that your kids would be better off being around non-whites? That's what it sounded like.

Oh, and by the way, I predict I get totally bashed for this post or even possible have it deleted. Nobody can handle the truth. Most are brainwashed from what the media feeds to them....

Last edited by a moderator:
The city of Sacramento is very diverse, but there has certainly been quite a bit of white flight to the suburbs. Placer and El Dorado counties are pretty solidly white and defintiely more conservative. But I do love the diversity of Sacramento. It makes for an interesting and vibrant, multi-cultural community.

Ignoring the above post [EDIT: not kennadog's - the post above the above post], for which I would have a reply if not for the board's specific policy against political debate...

It's a shame (thought of course understandable) that the images are based on 2000 census data. I'd be curious to see a post-Katrina image of New Orleans. Hopefully they'll do this again with 2010 information, because the comparison would likely be interesting.

L

LWP777

If there is one thing I dislike about OAKLAND its how BLACK the city is. Outside the city its even worse. We are a liberal city that is very open to cultural diversity in theory. I just don't see it in action and it gives me a little concern as an interracial parent even though school is a few years away.
I changed TWO words in your post just to prove a point. It's the exact same post just hypothetically coming from a white guy living in Oakland. If a white guy from Oakland posted this, he would be labeled as a racist. Do you see my point now?

L

LWP777

Pretty good debate here...I wonder how much longer it lasts before the mods shut it down because it's just too "sensitive" of an issue.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Good grief. The post was about diversity, I complained that there isn't any here. Because I have a taste for ethnic food and because my wife gets asked if she's "the help".

I'm not posting anything else on this matter.

L

LWP777

Good grief. The post was about diversity, I complained that there isn't any here. Because I have a taste for ethnic food and because my wife gets asked if she's "the help".

I'm not posting anything else on this matter.
First of all, I guarantee there is diversity in Portland. You really think there aren't any blacks, hispanics, asians, etc. there? My point is that everybody wants diversity but what that means is that it EXCLUDES whites.

Status
Not open for further replies.