If you could only keep 1....

Ben or Ray?

• Total voters
I'm very curious..... After seeing Ray play big time minutes the past 4 games, if you could only keep 1 guy -- Ben or Ray right now, who would you keep?

This isn't a thread meant to bash Ben. It's more a question that comes to mind because Ray has looked really good!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Had the question been Ray or Isaiah (obvious problems notwithstanding), it would have garnered a lot more discussion. Ben and Ray don't play the same position so the idea we'd have to choose one over the other just doesn't make that much sense.

:)

They are both under contract for the next 2-3 years, and while Ben's is 3.5 times more expensive, he's still making 7-8th man money next 3 years, so why should we go through this exercise?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Had the question been Ray or Isaiah (obvious problems notwithstanding), it would have garnered a lot more discussion. Ben and Ray don't play the same position so the idea we'd have to choose one over the other just doesn't make that much sense.

Maybe because they are both rookies.

Good point. And I'd have the same answer for both questions - keep 'me both. If IT or Ray played well enough to beat the other one out, well, watch me smile. Of the three I think Ben has greatest need for improvement.

Maybe because they are both rookies.
Exactly. After watching Ray's performance last night I realized that I personally believe that Ray is more valuable than Ben even after only a short amount of time showcasing what he can do. It just kind of blew my mind that we might have struck gold again in the 2nd round with Ray and possibly be looking at another lottery bust with Ben (although he's starting to show some signs of life lately).

I do agree with VF21 though. It would pose an interesting question: Ray or IT? Although, generally this forum tends to be a little negative towards IT so I have a feeling it would probably be Ray maybe 70-30.

I just really like the potential of this kid. He has a lot of the intangibles that a lot of us here feel like we need in a PG. I think this may give us some flexibility this summer when figuring out what to do with IT. Let's hope that another team doesn't get crazy with offering him a huge contract. I still think he can be a valuable asset as a spark plug 6th man for maybe 5-6m per year.

Last edited:
Yes, ben has played more this year (and been overwelmed, often) ... it behooves us not to forget that even though they are both rookies, ray-mac is 2 years older than ben-mac.

sometimes young guys look....young.

Last edited:
Good point. And I'd have the same answer for both questions - keep 'me both. If IT or Ray played well enough to beat the other one out, well, watch me smile. Of the three I think Ben has greatest need for improvement.

he also has the biggest ROOM for improvement (the highest ceiling--- if he can get it together)

K

KingMilz

You go with Mclemore since there is always massive amounts of talent at the PG position thus making it easier to find someone good where as the SG is rather weak compared and Ben's got a much higher ceiling.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ray is much more my style player. He grinds for what he gets, while Ben is soft flash. But that said a good game by a 2nd round pick doesn't make you suddenly forget the theoretical potential with Ben. Even if I didn't want him as my own SG, I would want to preserve that potential in trade. Much easier to find 2nd round/backup type grind guys.