I Think We Can All Agree That Cuttino Mobley Is Not Needed...

VF21 said:
I do NOT agree. I refuse to bash ANY member of our team. We have no idea what Cat would have done tonight since he went out with an injury.

Why some people cannot praise a player like Mo Evans without having to dump on another player is beyond my ability to comprehend.
:confused: Are you reffering to my post?

AleksandarN said:
Who are we going to find to replace Miller? There is only a handful of players of Miller talents and size.
word.

things are gonna get shaken up in the offseason, but i think there are at least two constants: mike bibby and brad miller. i dont see either being placed any where near the trading block.

VF21 said:
WORD!!!!

Some of you just can't seem to exist without bashing someone. Last year it was Webber and this year it's Cat. Who will you hate next year?

Whatever happened to rooting FOR your team and supporting your players?

Thank God the season is over...and not because of what the players did.

:(
I am afriad it is not only Mobley but Bibby and PEdja all three are getting bashed to support the other and quite frankly its retarded. We are Kings Fans period.

Sparky said:
I don't think it's necessary to keep Miller. He can be terrific on offense, but he's a huge defensive liablity. Also, he is rarely in really good shape, and he is injury prone. Add to that how he gets rattled by rough play and distracted by the refs and I don't see any great need to keep him.
i agree. i wouldn't mind seeing miller go if we can get somebody good in return.

Padrino said:
word.

things are gonna get shaken up in the offseason, but i think there are at least two constants: mike bibby and brad miller. i dont see either being placed any where near the trading block.
I agree to a point.

You wouldn't possibly trade the likes of Bibby or Miller if you are looking at things from one perspective.

I am sure that no one is untouchable and if it improves the team then Petrie will make the move regardless of whether its Miller, Peja or Bibby.

kingsfannPDX said:
i agree. i wouldn't mind seeing miller go if we can get somebody good in return.
You only trade Miller if you are getting a better low post player in return eg Shaq.

Miller is one of the best big man in the league and if you are trading him away then you better make sure you are upgrading in the big guy department ;)

VF21 said:
WORD!!!!

Some of you just can't seem to exist without bashing someone. Last year it was Webber and this year it's Cat. Who will you hate next year?

Whatever happened to rooting FOR your team and supporting your players?

Thank God the season is over...and not because of what the players did.

:(
Away with the stats, insert tape into vcr and watch the game instead. Mobley is a HORRIBLE decisionmaker, and no matter what the stats say, there is a reason this guy was shipped from Orlando for an aging Doug Christie. Yeah...he can catch fire and score quick buckets (including crucial clutch ones), but a guy who makes as many stupid plays as he does should not play playmaker out there. I have never seen anyone take the ball , dribble it up and jack up a braindead shot with plenty time on the shotclock as much as Mobley does. I understand 1 on 1's and iso's, but in Cuttino's mind an iso is when you go 1 on 3.

I am not going to bash any of our players. We cannot judge what is in their heart and minds, nor are we on the court with them. I just watched bibby's postgame news conference. He kept saying that they would be good when they figured out their roles. He said that they do not need to worry about who scores. There needs to be role players and not everybody can be the scorers. He went on to say that whenever the role players understand that, they would be ok. I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO SPECULATE ABOUT WHO HE WAS REFERRING TO, BUT I DO BELEIVE THAT CHANGES ARE ON THE HORIZON!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
AleksandarN said:
:confused: Are you reffering to my post?
No.

At the risk of sounding like a bully, I was referring to the person who had to start this thread and, instead of simply posting HIS opinion, had to label it with the presumptuous "I think we can all agree..." title.

Cat may end up going elsewhere, but he wasn't a cancer to our team. He has heart and he wants to win. I will not fault his desire or his dedication to the game.

But it's obvious Cuttino is going to be the scapegoat so I'm not going to argue about it. I saw him play some very good basketball and I enjoyed it.

I would like to see a more defensive-minded OG and I think that's the direction Petrie will go in if Cuttino doesn't exercise HIS option.

I am not going to bash any one of our Kings tonight. What's the use? The season is over. They gave what they could - and it wasn't enough. I may be just tired, but I cannot follow the logic of someone who has to come onto a message board and berate a player who didn't do us harm. He didn't bad-mouth us; he didn't have a bad attitude; he produced what he could. He tried to change his game - which he's played the same way all his life - to meet our needs. That's enough for me...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Stojakovic said:
I have never seen anyone take the ball , dribble it up and jack up a braindead shot with plenty time on the shotclock as much as Mobley does.
So...

You never saw Jason Williams play???

Just had to point out the exaggeration.

;)

AleksandarN said:
Who are we going to find to replace Miller? There is only a handful of players of Miller talents and size.
I'm not saying that Miller is not talented. My point is that the areas where the kings suffer most, rebounding, shot blocking, low post offense/defense make up a big part of the Center's responsibility. Brad is not very good at any of those things. Yes, he is a wonderful passer, and he has a great 18 foot shot as well. But my previous points still stand. Many of the things Kings need in a big man are qualities Brad does not have. Not to mention basic physical sturdiness. The big man the Kings really need is a 25 year old Vlade Divac. Brad will probably stay because that player does not exist. If he does stay, I will cheer him on. If he goes I will wish him well.

VF21 said:
No.

At the risk of sounding like a bully, I was referring to the person who had to start this thread and, instead of simply posting HIS opinion, had to label it with the presumptuous "I think we can all agree..." title.

Cat may end up going elsewhere, but he wasn't a cancer to our team. He has heart and he wants to win. I will not fault his desire or his dedication to the game.

But it's obvious Cuttino is going to be the scapegoat so I'm not going to argue about it. I saw him play some very good basketball and I enjoyed it.

I would like to see a more defensive-minded OG and I think that's the direction Petrie will go in if Cuttino doesn't exercise HIS option.

I am not going to bash any one of our Kings tonight. What's the use? The season is over. They gave what they could - and it wasn't enough. I may be just tired, but I cannot follow the logic of someone who has to come onto a message board and berate a player who didn't do us harm. He didn't bad-mouth us; he didn't have a bad attitude; he produced what he could. He tried to change his game - which he's played the same way all his life - to meet our needs. That's enough for me...

Ok thanks that is what I thought. I think and hope Cat does not use his option as well because it good to have a back plan(starting SG) for one and an other have an option to trade his expireing contract for more talent.

Sparky said:
I'm not saying that Miller is not talented. My point is that the areas where the kings suffer most, rebounding, shot blocking, low post offense/defense make up a big part of the Center's responsibility. Brad is not very good at any of those things. Yes, he is a wonderful passer, and he has a great 18 foot shot as well. But my previous points still stand. Many of the things Kings need in a big man are qualities Brad does not have. Not to mention basic physical sturdiness. The big man the Kings really need is a 25 year old Vlade Divac. Brad will probably stay because that player does not exist. If he does stay, I will cheer him on. If he goes I will wish him well.
I say keep him we need his offense and go after a defensive starting center or power foward al;ong side of him is the best option. If we tarde Miller than we would be looking at more holes in the starting lineup to fill

F

Fillmoe

i love how you guys turned on an injured player.... Cuttino would put up Juan Dixon numbers after reading this thread......... I wish Cuttino the best!

chelle said:
I am not going to bash any of our players. We cannot judge what is in their heart and minds, nor are we on the court with them. I just watched bibby's postgame news conference. He kept saying that they would be good when they figured out their roles. He said that they do not need to worry about who scores. There needs to be role players and not everybody can be the scorers. He went on to say that whenever the role players understand that, they would be ok. I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO SPECULATE ABOUT WHO HE WAS REFERRING TO, BUT I DO BELEIVE THAT CHANGES ARE ON THE HORIZON!

I wouldn't read to much into what Bibby said. I watched it too and I believe that he was just talking about the team as a whole because they weren't consistent nor did they have time to develop a chemistry. Therefore you will have players who don't really have a set role nor would they have time to know what their role is. Mike doesn't come off as the type of person to make cracks at other people in vague statements. I don't think he was referring to anyone in particular.

And about Cuttino. Where was all this when he was playing well? Without Cuttino some of those 50 wins would be losses. He may not have fit the Kings of old style but this is a new look Kings and they do not have the personnel to be the same passing team as before. The Kings style is changing because the players are changing. I think Cuttino can fit this team.

RangerC said:
Mobley FGA/AST Ratio w/Kings: 6.38/1 (6.3 shots for every assist)
Peja FGA/AST Ratio: 7.38/1 (7.3 shots for every assist)

It's a moot point anyway since someone will give Mobley a nice contract that the Kings won't match (plus Mobley probably wants out of here anyway), but some of the criticism he's getting is entirely unwarranted. He played in a ball-hoggish system his whole career - hard to change your ways entirely in one season. I'll be sad to see him go, despite all his flaws - he had heart and guts in the 4th, something the Kings have in very short supply.
Killer stat. It really puts things in a little perspective, good post.

I like Cat. However, he is a transition player and we have steadily gotten away from the transition game. I think he will probably not be on the team next year, but I am not going to actively root that he leave.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Cat is a very good player but bottom line, he does not fit on this team. Like Bibby said not everyone can be scorers. Cuttino would be forced to adjust his style of play to benefit the Kings and that may not be fair to him or us. He does what he does. I have watched him for the last couple years and what we saw this season is what he does. He is a scorer, plain and simple. There are teams out there that need his scoring but I don't think the Kings are one of those teams.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
KP said:
Killer stat. It really puts things in a little perspective, good post.
One thing that stat doesn't show is shot selection though. Many of Cats shots are quick jumpers with no ball movement. Peja's shots are often the result of someone elses passing.

Sparky said:
The problem with Miller is that the Kings can't pair him with a guy like Kenny Thomas (all KT's offense is at the high post as well, and his size prevents him from being much of a post defender/shotblocker), Songaila (another high post jumpshooter/non-shotblocker), or post-knee injury Webber (unless the goal is to have an all-jumpshooting, no defense frontcourt). Indiana was able to have a great defense with Miller on the court, because they had O'Neal at PF and Artest on the wings. Dalembert would have been a nice partner for Miller (still can't believe we didn't get him in the trade)m or maybe a player like Chris Anderson or Steven Hunter (unfortunately, neither is good enough to be a full time solution upfront) could help.

RangerC said:
The problem with Miller is that the Kings can't pair him with a guy like Kenny Thomas (all KT's offense is at the high post as well, and his size prevents him from being much of a post defender/shotblocker), Songaila (another high post jumpshooter/non-shotblocker), or post-knee injury Webber (unless the goal is to have an all-jumpshooting, no defense frontcourt). Indiana was able to have a great defense with Miller on the court, because they had O'Neal at PF and Artest on the wings. Dalembert would have been a nice partner for Miller (still can't believe we didn't get him in the trade)m or maybe a player like Chris Anderson or Steven Hunter (unfortunately, neither is good enough to be a full time solution upfront) could help.
Word.

I read somewhere yesterday that Dalembert doesn't have a good relationship with the coach and is looking to leave Philly. He is a restricted free agent so we couldn't outbid other teams but if we could do sign and trade he would be a very good fit for us as he complements the team and makes a good combo with Miller.

SacTownKid said:
One thing that stat doesn't show is shot selection though. Many of Cats shots are quick jumpers with no ball movement. Peja's shots are often the result of someone elses passing.
Not exactly. 82games.com has assisted basket percentages for all players. 61% of Mobley's baskets were assisted, while Peja was just a little 'better' at 65%.

Anyway, I think Kings fans were a little too used to Doug Christie (basically a PG, and a fairly passive one at that) playing SG - most SG's primarily shoot the ball; that's their job in most systems.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BBallGrl15 said:
I wouldn't read to much into what Bibby said. I watched it too and I believe that he was just talking about the team as a whole because they weren't consistent nor did they have time to develop a chemistry. Therefore you will have players who don't really have a set role nor would they have time to know what their role is. Mike doesn't come off as the type of person to make cracks at other people in vague statements. I don't think he was referring to anyone in particular.

And about Cuttino. Where was all this when he was playing well? Without Cuttino some of those 50 wins would be losses. He may not have fit the Kings of old style but this is a new look Kings and they do not have the personnel to be the same passing team as before. The Kings style is changing because the players are changing. I think Cuttino can fit this team.
Good points about Bibby and I agree no one should try to read anything more into his comments than what was said. I think WAY TOO MUCH TIME has been wasted here and everywhere else by people trying too hard to read between the lines when sometimes the only thing between the lines is space...empty space.

SacTownKid said:
STK.. read my sig.

--Sorry with season over and everything I just couldn't help it.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
RangerC said:
Not exactly. 82games.com has assisted basket percentages for all players. 61% of Mobley's baskets were assisted, while Peja was just a little 'better' at 65%.

Anyway, I think Kings fans were a little too used to Doug Christie (basically a PG, and a fairly passive one at that) playing SG - most SG's primarily shoot the ball; that's their job in most systems.
I just meant passing not assists. Peja will often be the last person in a chain of people to touch the ball. An assist directly leads to a basket and an assist will be negated if the player puts the ball on the floor and makes some moves even if 4 passes were made to lead up to that point Cat will sometimes recieve the pass and then shoot it quick after one pass hence leading to an assist.

I don't think he ever really fit, and I doubt he will be coming back. I've made it clear quite a few times that I think Maurice is better for the Kings in every aspect (from age, to defense, to athleticism, to unselfishness). And on top of that, he is a whole lot cheaper. Quite funny.

But whenever a player leaves the Kings, even if I wasn't his biggest fan, a small part of me doesn't feel right. Even though he's only been here for a while, it will be weird not having him back.