I think Chet wins the ROY

Wembanyama could easily take it if they give him big reps, but I have a feeling they might bring him along slowly in year 1. I mean if he starts dropping big stat lines early, the award is his, but if there is anyone who might be able to keep pace with him, to me that guy is Chet.. N i mean OKC looks considerably better than the Spurs to me. Perhaps I'm a fool for not giving Wemby more benefit of the doubt, if Wemby and Zach Collins both have breakout years, n their able to constantly play this high-low action n create mismatches, thats the 'field has 0% chance' scenario if u ask me, u can give Wemby the ROY at the ASB if thats the case.

Scoota Henderson will obviously be getting massive reps in portland if Dame is out so he's a threat. Obviously If he shoots something like 33% from 3 on decent reps, that will help his chances immensely, thats not really his game though n he's so dynamic getting downhill. So i think honestly him actually getting to the FT line a ton in year 1, that might be his path of least resistance, he only shot 3FTA's compared to 14FGA's last season tho so I'm not particularly confident about that either, plus he's such a nasty forceful finisher, he's nothing less than magificent at absorbing contact(Dwyane Wade level), defenders would be dumb to give him and-1 opportunites n honestly I watched this kid since highschool, he's like de'aaron where defenders get left completely in the dust, but he's also a bit like Stephon Marbury where hes super comfortable at using his body to shield off defenders hes already got a step on,. so he gets so loose the defense cant recover, n that actually can limit fta's but layups and dunks are better than ft's.. so i have a more wait n see outlook on him for year1. Blazers are a mess rn too, its hard to get a read on the situation. He'll need to match the Tyreke Evans ROY stats to stay pull this off 20-5-5.

Then theres Chet ----- After these three, I'm not really buying anyone else has a chance. I believe he's actually the 2nd best player on the Thunder right now, n the Thunder was respectable last year for such a young team, truly. So I just think Chet takes them to a whole nother level honestly n he might run away with this award real quick... I just dont see what would stop him from shooting very high % from 2pt range, nearly 40% from 3 and also being one of the better shotblockers in the league. I do think Chet honestly has a better chance to come out guns blazing in game 1 than Wemby, but who knows, if Wemby is doign well its kinda hard to match that pace. Wemby's just gonna be omnipresent on a court with that frame n mobility n balance n coordination, he's sort of like Giannis Antetokounmpo in that regard.

I dont wanna post betting odds cuz theres all these scummy 'sports people' (puppets) promoting gambling to young people, its actually exploded in just the past few years, n the way that stuff is seen as "common" is to me actually quite toxic, n now its WAY MORE ACCESSIBLE, ITS WAY MORE ACCESIBLE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE, gambling is at its peak in the history of the planet right now, the public is as normalized and desensitized to it as they've ever been and its accessible as its ever been(Coincidence?o_O I think not). And the people promoting gambling are also younger than they ever been, these predatory sites check twitter follows and stream count numbers probably youtube views and figure who to pay to advertise their product to the most young impressionable veiwers.. its all EXTREMELY PREDATORY, at every level..

I stopped watching sportcenter when scott van pelts "bad beats" became like a big time part of the broadcast, i hate that stuff why be a puppet for bookies? I've got no respect for that. I always wanna ask these 'influencers' "Do you understand what your chumming the waters for? Or are you gonna claim ignorance? Am I supposed to believe you actually care about your audience Mr SVP? Cuz you seem callous as it gets. Or Is it, your broke or something mr. Scott Van Pelt? Did you give your money to Kevin Garnett to invest or something what happened for you to be so desperate in your old wrinkled years? or is it your just greedy and want more - so you bend over for the books?" N NEXT they bring in some guy named "Stanford Steve" like yeah this is what smart people who go to stanford spend their time worrying about, gambling! (How putrid, makes me wanna puke).... wasnt there infamously a cokehead running ESPN for a long time? those are the results i'd expect from some cokehead running the biggest sports network, its actually dead-on character when you think about it.

This is why I always had such a bad feeling about that Grant play by play guy who said that nonsense about Cousins, he used to talk about the spreads and stuff, and his ass wasnt getting paid to say that, he was just a patsy openly doing the bookies bidding/advertisements, like a Johnny Appleseed type of figure, except for planting seeds of discord and predation.

I feel like Sports should be about promoting playing sports n healthy exercise, promoting gambling(when the NBA has such a firm grip on young audiences) is actually quite the opposite of that. Sports is about practice and persistance , discipline, teamwork and improvement, Sports is actually an extremely healthy coping mechanism, when I was a kid and upset, id go outside and shoot around n itd always make me feel better, but everyones so career and money oriented that never ever ever gets said, how sad. THE ENTIRE DESIGN OF SPORTS GAMBLING (in all its insidious forms) REVOLVES AROUND THE GAMBLER SITTING AROUND N WAITING FOR SOMETHING EXCITING TO HAPPEN. These assholes show up and wanna make everything about money, its digusting. instant gratification seeking behavior is why kids get discouraged and quit sports! its why they stop drawing their doodles n think their art isnt very good, when it probably could be great, they just lack persistence, proper role models and encouragement..

Adam Silver is a pimp compared to David Stern, he got in bed with the bookies, i have no respect for him, hes got a very young audience, n knows it, shame on him! I would literally scream in his face if i saw him IRL "your legacy is turning the NBA into a vessel for the bookies greed. you promote gambling to your very very very young audience, your status doesnt fool me --- your a spineless sack of crap!"

Gambling creates the absolute worst type of sport fans too.. Some fat undiciplined fool who sits on his behind 20 hours a day for 7 days a week convinces themselves they know basketball well if they hit some random parlay n convinces themselves their really some strategic mastermind and it snot just a case of broken clocks being right twice per day.... Those people show up on forums like these (after they win, n stay quiet about their losses) were they need to be explained "well if you know basketball so well, why would i embarass you and treat you like a child on the court 1v1? why would i dribble the ball thru ur legs and off your face like i'm hotsauce from AND1 if you know the game so well? seems to me you just run your mouth and arent motivated by basketball at all, your motivated materialism, you veiw basketball in thru the lens of what basketball can bring you.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually just posted this in the Sasha thread. I think Chet is in the best position to win ROY. He was a legitimate threat last season before the injury and now he's had a year of NBA strength and conditioning and general experience around the ins and outs of the league.

He'll also likely get a starting role and plenty of minutes (maybe limited early in the season, but increased as the year goes on) and he has a star guard in SGA and another great distributor in Giddey to take pressure off him and get him the ball in his spots.

I don't gamble on sports, but he'd be my pick.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly It'd be pretty cool/funny if Vezenkov can secure a spot on the 1st team all rookie squad this season.
If he gets the minutes I definitely wouldn't be surprised. We still have to see how he adjusts to the NBA (and if he can avoid being a complete turnstile on defense) but if he has a decent role he should produce. He's pretty much a perfect fit for this offense as a shooter and cutter that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. He's also a sneaky good rebounder.

I actually just posted this in the Sasha thread. I think Chet is in the best position to win ROY. He was a legitimate threat last season before the injury and now he's had a year of NBA strength and conditioning and general experience around the ins and outs of the league.

He'll also likely get a starting role and plenty of minutes (maybe limited early in the season, but increased as the year goes on) and he has a star guard in SGA and another great distributor in Giddey to take pressure off him and get him the ball in his spots.

I don't gamble on sports, but he'd be my pick.
I like it. This topic is worthy of its own thread. In the way that 'neutral fans' flocked to watch our Kings last year because we play a fun brand of ball, I think keeping track of Chet's progress rookie year could end up being quite a fun spectacle too. Cuz actually its not just a matter of 'watching Chet' how the opposition reacts to him, that I think, will be quite fun to keep an eye on too, cuz he's got some tricks up the sleeve, feel like we're about to see some vets learn the hard way hahah. He's crazy in a vacuum, the roster that OKC has aside from him is crazy in a vacuum, I think he might be a perfect match for that team tbh.

when it comes to Chet, I just choose to believe that he might actually be like a Larry Bird level 3pt shooter, until I see evidence otherwise.. I refuse to believe that Wembanyama's 3pt shooting is nearly as real as his, im gonna need to see that to believe it. I just think the purity of Chets 3pt stroke has been overlooked or marginalized a bit because he's always dunking on people and blocking shots too, and also nowadays all the bigs take 3's so one thats actually like a shooters shooter, its easy to see how that would slip under the radar.

Last edited:
Chet was pretty impressive in summer league last year and OKC are in a pretty good position to finish in the top 6, so I can see it.

Having said that - I'm curious to see how both Chet and Wemby fit in the NBA as well as their ability to play all 82 games. Not a sceptic yet, but unsure what the precedent is for them and am pretty comfy on the fence.

Don't gamble but I like Scoot as ROY.

One thing not talked about with Chet is he has an insane motor like the guy plays every possession. If he can stay healthy with that size/skill and motor thats nasty, I reckon the OKC Thunder should trade for Ayton (Dort + filler+ pick) and move Chet to PF.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing not talked about with Chet is he has an insane motor like the guy plays every possession. If he can stay healthy with that size/skill and motor thats nasty, I reckon the OKC Thunder should trade for Ayton (Dort + filler+ pick) and move Chet to PF.
Holmgren has a real fire and passion for the game. He's also not just a physically gifted shotblocker - he reads the floor so well on both ends. He always seems to be in the right place and has fantastic timing and coordination.

I hope he stays healthy just because he's so fun to watch. He, Wemby and Mobley are likely going to help redefine what it means to be a big in the current NBA.